Movie News & Miscellany

Superior Spider-Man, huh? Okay... yeah, keep Liv Octavius as the Miles villain. For Gwen, probably The Vulture, as he was her first big adversary. Peter B... Green Goblin ala Spider-man (2002). Migeul O'hara... I'd pick Punisher 2099 myself, but he doesn't have a lot of good choices.

In exchange for this, I'd want Spider-Verse 3 to have Mephisto trying to control each Spider-man and basically have it be a take-that against One More Day.
I figure at least one Spider-Verse sequel will do something similar to the original Spider-Verse crossover, with Morlun.

Hellboy 2019 made a whole $12 million opening weekend.

In an age of James Gunn being rehired for GotG3, I want to hope there's at least a tiny chance that Guillermo del Toro can be handed back the reins. No one's going to have to forget a different continuity movie they never saw.

I love everything about this cover EXCEPT Serj Tankian's vocals. This could have been so much better. The chanting is so good.

Real question: I haven't seen any Godzilla movies except the one in the 1998 (shut up, it was free and opening night). If the point of Godzilla is that we're fucking up the environment, doesn't having a bunch of other monsters who were just...around and napping I guess detract from that message? Or are they also abominations caused by plastic straw abuse?

Real question: I haven't seen any Godzilla movies except the one in the 1998 (shut up, it was free and opening night). If the point of Godzilla is that we're fucking up the environment, doesn't having a bunch of other monsters who were just...around and napping I guess detract from that message? Or are they also abominations caused by plastic straw abuse?
The other monsters were added over the years when Toho already figured for the 1955 sequel having only godzilla walking around getting a bit boring. Some of them are the results of humans mess around with nature however.

The original Godzilla was created due to the fears of nuclearization. The monster was basically the stand-in for the terrors of nuclear war, brought by the real terror Japan experienced at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Them killing Godzilla at the end was Japan's way of sort of cleansing themselves of those fears. It's why it was so big back in the day.

Of course that popularity lead to it spinning off into Toho's King of Monsters era, where Godzilla was mostly a traveling monster hunter who beat the shit out of ancient monsters or aliens that were causing problems. This became one of the most popular eras of Godzilla and gave us a lot of other monsters like Mothra.

Only the American 1998 Godzilla you referenced was about fucking up the environment specifically.

The new movie and it's past movies (Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island) are an Americanized version of the King of Monsters Era, and thus does not really tie directly into nuclearization or environmentalism. It's all about monsters beating the shit out of each other, whether they ancient sleeping beasts, alien robots, spiritual giant moths, or nuclear lizards.

The original Godzilla was created due to the fears of nuclearization. The monster was basically the stand-in for the terrors of nuclear war, brought by the real terror Japan experienced at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Them killing Godzilla at the end was Japan's way of sort of cleansing themselves of those fears. It's why it was so big back in the day.

Of course that popularity lead to it spinning off into Toho's King of Monsters era, where Godzilla was mostly a traveling monster hunter who beat the shit out of ancient monsters or aliens that were causing problems. This became one of the most popular eras of Godzilla and gave us a lot of other monsters like Mothra.

Only the American 1998 Godzilla you referenced was about fucking up the environment specifically.

The new movie and it's past movies (Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island) are an Americanized version of the King of Monsters Era, and thus does not really tie directly into nuclearization or environmentalism. It's all about monsters beating the shit out of each other.
This, plus Godzilla over the years basically became an analog for "American intervention". In the original, he was a direct representation of the Atomic Bomb and it's effect on the psyche of Japan: an unstoppable force that unleashed untold horrors on anything in it's path. But as relations between America and Japan improved over the years, Godzilla also changed. Suddenly he wasn't an unstoppable monster looking to destroy the world, he was an unstoppable monster looking to protect it. That's why he went family friendly.

It’s not really communicated well, but the current theme of the American Godzilla movies is that nature is more powerful than humans, so if we fuck with it then we will get fucked. The idea of all these kaiju waking up and reasserting dominance over the planet has an implied parallel with humans experiencing more and more natural disasters as a result of unchecked human activity.

It’s not really communicated well, but the current theme of the American Godzilla movies is that nature is more powerful than humans, so if we fuck with it then we will get fucked. The idea of all these kaiju waking up and reasserting dominance over the planet has an implied parallel with humans experiencing more and more natural disasters as a result of unchecked human activity.
To continue that theme, Kong: Skull Island is basically "Maybe we shouldn't go around acting like the world belongs to us" for American intervention/adventurism.

While I get that is the theme they are trying to go with, it really does not work. If the point was "nature is too powerful we are just ants", it kind of loses it's luster when the movies basically come down to humans siccing what is in essence a walking, scaled atomic bomb to beat the shit out of said natural disasters parallels.

Dave

Staff member
John Wick 3 comes out this week. So far 48 critics have reviewed it on Rotten Tomatoes. It's sitting at 98%.

WHAT?!? John Wick 3 is at 98%?!? An action flick at 98%? Has the world gone topsy turvy?

John Wick 3 comes out this week. So far 48 critics have reviewed it on Rotten Tomatoes. It's sitting at 98%.

WHAT?!? John Wick 3 is at 98%?!? An action flick at 98%? Has the world gone topsy turvy?
It's almost as if the world has gone... Mad.