Movie News & Miscellany

Ah. I've never heard of Sonic Boom until today. The only 2 shows I remember were from the 90's and he was voiced by Urkel in both.

So, what was the plot of Sonic Boom?

Ah. I've never heard of Sonic Boom until today. The only 2 shows I remember were from the 90's and he was voiced by Urkel in both.

So, what was the plot of Sonic Boom?
It has no plot. It's just a wacky comedy involving the cast of Sonic the Hedgehog, but it's pretty smart for something that should have been disposable. Think "The Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog", but 3D.

Heh. The ring.
But only one? And it's tied in his shoe rather than being through his eyebrow or some other piercing?
How much of a little blue rebel is he going to be if he doesn't have at least one prominent piercing?

--Patrick

Heh. The ring.
But only one? And it's tied in his shoe rather than being through his eyebrow or some other piercing?
How much of a little blue rebel is he going to be if he doesn't have at least one prominent piercing?

--Patrick
They weren't allowed to put his Prince Albert ring on the poster.

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't terrible? I mean, it had MASSIVE script and story problems, but the actresses really weren't an issue.

Really, the biggest question is why they spent so fucking much on the movie.

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't terrible? I mean, it had MASSIVE script and story problems, but the actresses really weren't an issue.

Really, the biggest question is why they spent so fucking much on the movie.
Development hell is PRETTY expensive, main reason why I'm skeptical of any future installments.

Development hell is PRETTY expensive, main reason why I'm skeptical of any future installments.
It's not even that; all that fucking CG must have cost a fortune. Practically the entire last third of the movie is expensive CG and scenes that COULD have been done cheaper with practical effects were done in CG. They spent over 100 million on a comedy that wasn't EVER going to do well overseas. What the hell were they thinking?

I hated it, but not because most of the characters were women. In fact, I thought that it was a stellar cast. Rather that script was painfully unfunny.

I hated it, but not because most of the characters were women. In fact, I thought that it was a stellar cast. Rather that script was painfully unfunny.
It didn't have a script, that was the problem. It was the typical summer comedy that leaned heavily on improv, rather than scripting things that were actually funny or interesting. Hell, they do the same shitty wonton joke twice

It's not even that; all that fucking CG must have cost a fortune. Practically the entire last third of the movie is expensive CG and scenes that COULD have been done cheaper with practical effects were done in CG. They spent over 100 million on a comedy that wasn't EVER going to do well overseas. What the hell were they thinking?
Probably that throwing more money at the problem would solve things, as ya do.

Also heard that there were MASSIVE cuts to the plot of the story, the villain's origin and means was practically erased.

It's been announced that Disney will be developing a live-action remake of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Personally, I'd nominate Eddie Redmayne for Quasimodo and Charles Dance for Judge Frollo.

fade

Staff member
I don't understand Black Panther getting a nomination for best picture. It was no better or worse than any of the other marvel movies. If this is a diversity nomination, I'm fine with that, too...as long as the movie is both good and a good example of diversity. I don't think this movie is frankly good enough for that, though. The plot is standard marvel fare. The acting is average. The score is average. Etc.

I don't understand Black Panther getting a nomination for best picture. It was no better or worse than any of the other marvel movies. If this is a diversity nomination, I'm fine with that, too...as long as the movie is both good and a good example of diversity. I don't think this movie is frankly good enough for that, though. The plot is standard marvel fare. The acting is average. The score is average. Etc.
I agree. I felt Black Panther was more compelling in Captain America: Civil War than in his own movie.

Disagree; T'challa is the weakest part of the movie, but Killmonger more than makes up for his shortcomings with a strong, relevant story about the victims of colonialism and it's lasting effects not just on Black Culture in America, but on exactly what should be done about it.

It certainly deserves it more than Green Book, Vice, or Bohemian Rhapsody.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
To be clear, I liked the movie, and I understand that it covered a lot of cultural aspects that deserve greater coverage. I believe all of this, yet I still feel that other, better films cover that. Not enough, to be sure. But on sheer filmmaking...I could swap any marvel hero and their setting into this story with no loss. The plot was fun, but really generic. Killmonger's tragic past was great, but it's also a minor part of the movie and it has also been covered in better films. I did appreciate that the movie treated social racism instead of Crash-style "this one guy is racist, if he wasn't, everything would be all better". That's a nice addition. But it's salt on the fries. It wasn't the principal theme, which was Generic Superhero Movie.

figmentPez

Staff member
Zack Snyder's next movie will be Army of the Dead, distributed via Netflix.

It's going to be a bank heist film, except it takes place in a Las Vegas that has been quarantined due to a zombie outbreak.

Sound good? Yeah, I thought it was sounding pretty good until:

"There’s an extra dimension to this zombie film, because they…. they…. I’m still wondering if I should tell this…. the male zombies rape human females. Yes. And they have human hybrid zombie offsprings. It’s a new take on the zombie genre, which is crazy. "

NO Robot Slot Machine Eyes.gif

No and Leave _ She-Wolf of London.gif

Obscurus Lupa _ Nope Done Bye.gif