Minor victory thread

No, no. When they’re really young, you start them with Propranolol.

In other news, federal refund is slated to post overnight tonight, alongside my normal payday, so tomorrow’s gonna be a busy morning...a morning FULL of temptation, I might add.

—Patrick
I was just coming in here to brag about the exact same thing. :brofist:

I finally finished a book series I've been reading since grade 10 - it only took 19 years to read 15 books!

That's right, The Wheel of Time is officially finished.

Dave

Staff member
I finally finished a book series I've been reading since grade 10 - it only took 19 years to read 15 books!

That's right, The Wheel of Time is officially finished.
Aren't you glad Brandon Sanderson took over for the last books?

Internet at my house has been out 7+ hrs now due to weather (probably).
Hooked up my phone to supply Internet so I could view weather, file an outage claim, chat with a rep, all that.
In the process also discovered I have something like 20GB of rollover data.
Well ok then, looks like my evening will not be significantly impacted.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Had a really, REALLY realistic dream last night that I had gotten fired and when I woke up I still had a job. I nearly woke up to a panic attack.

I've been procrastinating filing my tax return because thanks to the Marketplace, I've ended up owing a couple hundred dollars every year since it opened. Last year it was over $400. But that was partly due to a change in job and income.

This year... NOTHING. I actually get a refund. I'm not going to get it, but that's another thread, and something I've gotten used to over the years.

Completed all the current "Honey-do" list items this weekend. It allowed me a trip to Harbor Freight for some "required" tools/items to complete said tasks. :D

I also completed a crapton of things on Sun, list in hand.
I forgot one rather important thing I'm avoiding for 5min right now, but I'm burning through that as much as I can, too.

--Patrick

I actually forced myself to go to bed at 10:30 last nightt so the usual worst day of the year hasn't been so bad.
At about ten after ten, my wife asked, “Hey, are you going to bed early tonight, too?” (Been going to bed < 11p the last few days just to prepare myself).
I looked up from my monitor with the intention of saying,” Of course not!” but right then I got hit with a HUGE wave of tired and just decided it was better not to fight it and left off the last word.

—Patrick

Everytime my husband waits for "off-season" sales, he manages to talk himself out of buying the thing he really really wanted a couple of months previous.
I just came out of a two-week period in which I literally spent somewhere around 16-20 cumulative hours shoveling snow. By hand. By myself. In a mean temperature somewhere around 18F/-8C. I doubt I'll entertain any arguments to the contrary, even with myself.
Bought my new snowblower today.
It's a 2017 model instead of a 2018 model, so it has the older 208cc engine instead of the newer 223cc one. I lose half a foot-pound of torque, but save about 5lbs of weight.
But it was on closeout. And that means it was $190 off the normal price. So ouch still big bite out of wallet, but nowhere near as big as I was expecting.

--Patrick

Bought my new snowblower today.
It's a 2017 model instead of a 2018 model, so it has the older 208cc engine instead of the newer 223cc one. I lose half a foot-pound of torque, but save about 5lbs of weight.
But it was on closeout. And that means it was $190 off the normal price. So ouch still big bite out of wallet, but nowhere near as big as I was expecting.

--Patrick
However, due to the way this universe is set up, after you buying a snowblower, there will now be no more snow days until 2020. Prepare for massive amounts of sleet, hail, and rain, though.

The biotech startup that I work for is getting closer to having a product ready for the big leagues. I got to design the logo and packaging this week. Fun stuff. It needs a proper graphics artist, but we're waiting until there is some revenue to do that.
Zombie virus outbreak when?

It's my Fitbit scale. I doubt it's an exact science by any means, but it's interesting to track, too.
Makes sense. From what I've heard of those, the number isnt super-accurate but it's consistent in how it's off. So if it's going down, that usually means you are losing fat, even if the number isn't right.

Makes sense. From what I've heard of those, the number isnt super-accurate but it's consistent in how it's off. So if it's going down, that usually means you are losing fat, even if the number isn't right.
+ - 3% body fat and + - 1kg is standard for the vast majority of household scales.

It doesn't seem to shift as much as my weight. For example, at my lowest weight (according to the Fitbit app), I was 190.90 lbs and 25.4% fat, on November 12. And yet, on November 8, I was 192.20 lbs, but 24.9%.

But, from what I understand, hydration levels in the body can also affect how the scale reads your fat percentage. If you're not well-hydrated at the time, the percentage will be higher. I don't know the exact science of that or why, but that's something a personal trainer at Goodlife told me once.

+ - 3% body fat and + - 1kg is standard for the vast majority of household scales.
I was going to add, “ask HCGLNS, he should be able to confirm” but apparently here he is anyway, confirming.
But, from what I understand, hydration levels in the body can also affect how the scale reads your fat percentage. If you're not well-hydrated at the time, the percentage will be higher. I don't know the exact science of that or why, but that's something a personal trainer at Goodlife told me once.
According to that wiki, the scale is using the electrical charge to guess what percentage of your body is water. It then compares that against your weight to subtract that percentage.

—Patrick

Yeah, I don't see a lot of household scales at work unless we are visiting a hospital. And normally hospitals buy decent scales that are accurate to 0.1 kg. Sadly scales sold to the general public like to take advantage of people that don't know that digital scales with a resolution of 0.1 kg are not accurate to 0.1 kg. The distinction is often buried in the obscure standard they refer to in their marketing. If you are in the market for a bathroom scale, get an analog dial scale.

Yeah, I don't see a lot of household scales at work unless we are visiting a hospital. And normally hospitals buy decent scales that are accurate to 0.1 kg. Sadly scales sold to the general public like to take advantage of people that don't know that digital scales with a resolution of 0.1 kg are not accurate to 0.1 kg. The distinction is often buried in the obscure standard they refer to in their marketing. If you are in the market for a bathroom scale, get an analog dial scale.
If I was looking for an exact, scientific measurement, sure. But this gives me at least a general idea that the weight loss is on a downward trend again. And that's good enough for me.