Minor victory thread

If she offers you to drive you home, don't just say "I hope to see you again" and not invite her in.

Don't ask me how I know that one.

Also don't ask me how long it took for me to know that one.

Here I am at less than half a tank and gas went up fifty cents/gal today. FIFTY!
...but not at one of the stations near where I live.
Sure, they'll probably go up tomorrow morning, but it's not tomorrow yet, now is it?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not sure this is the best way to go about this, but I've got my weight loss back on track finally after it got stopped by the holiday season, and I'm sleeping better and waking up more refreshed.

What was the key? Vodka.

Naturally, the gastric sleeve surgery has absolutely torpedoed my alcohol tolerance. I'm easily 5 or 6 times more affected by alcohol than I used to be. So, I've found that, when I start to get the munchies around 8 or 9 pm while watching something or playing something...

Instead I put one shot of vodka in 8 ounces of sprite. I'm almost immediately drunk, I forget about snacking because whatever I am doing is suddenly 10 times more enthralling, and then I'm in bed before midnight, and sleep like a log.

The last couple mornings I've woken up more refreshed than I can remember since... well, quite a while, and I'm down 5 pounds over the last 2 weeks.

GasBandit

Staff member
First of all, I hope that's diet sprite.
It's not. I'm not banned from having sugar. It's always been more of a portion thing for me than a sugar thing, has been my problem.

Secondly, I don't think using alcohol as a crutch that way is a good idea at all.
Well, probably not. But even if I do this every single night (which I don't), I'd still be drinking less than I was in 2017.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well yeah but didn't you even say you were effectively a functional alcoholic back then?
It's not exactly a high hurdle, I'll give you that. Though, I think that I was able to go cold turkey and stay sober for a year with no withdrawal means I wasn't technically an actual alcoholic, medically speaking. Just an ordinary drunkard.

It's not exactly a high hurdle, I'll give you that. Though, I think that I was able to go cold turkey and stay sober for a year with no withdrawal means I wasn't technically an actual alcoholic, medically speaking. Just an ordinary drunkard.
You know the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk?

Meetings.

I say do whatever you want, but please discuss the behavior/solution with your doctor. If you find that your sleep quality keeps getting steadily worse when you skip your shot-in-sprite solution, I'd get considerably worried about dependence.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, try sugar-free gum instead of vodka. Same appetite-suppressing effect with much less liver damage.
I am CONSTANTLY chewing TONS of sugar free gum. All day.

I say do whatever you want, but please discuss the behavior/solution with your doctor. If you find that your sleep quality keeps getting steadily worse when you skip your shot-in-sprite solution, I'd get considerably worried about dependence.
I think it's less that I depend on it to sleep and more that alcohol has always had a very somnolent effect on me.. IE, if I drink even a tiny bit, I have always gotten drowsy quickly, and been asleep soon after. So, I've been getting more sleep simply by virtue of going to bed before midnight instead of staying up until 2 or 3 am shitposting.

Yeah, never use alcohol to control children. Use liquid Benadryl instead.
no dont do this, seriously, DONT DO THIS! it doesnt work long term, is not indicated for such use, is only effective for a few days in a row, and will cause NIGHTMARISH REBOUND INSOMNIA!

Also the Benadryl thing has been shown to be one of those things that loses effectiveness over time, much like most long-term medications.

--Patrick

Sooo...benadryl when they're really young, then chloroform and alcohol...and at what age exactly do we go for Rohypnol as the recommended solution?

Sooo...benadryl when they're really young, then chloroform and alcohol...and at what age exactly do we go for Rohypnol as the recommended solution?
No, no. When they’re really young, you start them with Propranolol.

In other news, federal refund is slated to post overnight tonight, alongside my normal payday, so tomorrow’s gonna be a busy morning...a morning FULL of temptation, I might add.

—Patrick

Isn’t Propanolol a beta blocker? What will that do to kids? I ask because I have tons of it lol....

I often fall asleep sitting up. Chronic pain and a demanding boss = no ability to stay awake. I was falling asleep driving home one night last week. I would like to stay awake!