I remember when I moved into my grandparents home after they had passed away. The kitchen was being remodeled because it needed it. The contractor started taking the walls out of the kitchen and found "spaghetti" made out of the old cloth wrapped wire. My grandfather had a friend of his do the electrical in the house back in the 50s. The contractor said he was surprised it hadn't burned down the house years ago. Ended up having to redo all of the electric wiring in the house and install a new fuse box because that was a disaster, too.