Minor victory thread

Reactions
205 66 0
It's not exactly a high hurdle, I'll give you that. Though, I think that I was able to go cold turkey and stay sober for a year with no withdrawal means I wasn't technically an actual alcoholic, medically speaking. Just an ordinary drunkard.
You know the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk?

Meetings.

Reactions
1,366 257 4
If you're depending on alcohol to control something in your life, it's a sign of alcoholism.

Reactions
375 167 0
I say do whatever you want, but please discuss the behavior/solution with your doctor. If you find that your sleep quality keeps getting steadily worse when you skip your shot-in-sprite solution, I'd get considerably worried about dependence.

Reactions
376 106 1
Also, try sugar-free gum instead of vodka. Same appetite-suppressing effect with much less liver damage.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
5,159 1,123 23
Also, try sugar-free gum instead of vodka. Same appetite-suppressing effect with much less liver damage.
I am CONSTANTLY chewing TONS of sugar free gum. All day.

I say do whatever you want, but please discuss the behavior/solution with your doctor. If you find that your sleep quality keeps getting steadily worse when you skip your shot-in-sprite solution, I'd get considerably worried about dependence.
I think it's less that I depend on it to sleep and more that alcohol has always had a very somnolent effect on me.. IE, if I drink even a tiny bit, I have always gotten drowsy quickly, and been asleep soon after. So, I've been getting more sleep simply by virtue of going to bed before midnight instead of staying up until 2 or 3 am shitposting.

Reactions
218 80 0
Yeah, never use alcohol to control children. Use liquid Benadryl instead.
no dont do this, seriously, DONT DO THIS! it doesnt work long term, is not indicated for such use, is only effective for a few days in a row, and will cause NIGHTMARISH REBOUND INSOMNIA!

Reactions
475 65 2
no dont do this, seriously, DONT DO THIS! it doesnt work long term, is not indicated for such use, is only effective for a few days in a row, and will cause NIGHTMARISH REBOUND INSOMNIA!
Yeah I was not in any way serious.

Reactions
1,821 530 14
Also the Benadryl thing has been shown to be one of those things that loses effectiveness over time, much like most long-term medications.

--Patrick

Reactions
532 227 7
Sooo...benadryl when they're really young, then chloroform and alcohol...and at what age exactly do we go for Rohypnol as the recommended solution?

Reactions
532 227 7
In a more thread-fitting post, I signed my contract today, so I'm back from temp to permanent. After just 3 months as a temp here, and they've offered me 7 years of "administrative experience" which is....quite a lot. Whoohoo!

Reactions
1,821 530 14
Sooo...benadryl when they're really young, then chloroform and alcohol...and at what age exactly do we go for Rohypnol as the recommended solution?
No, no. When they’re really young, you start them with Propranolol.

In other news, federal refund is slated to post overnight tonight, alongside my normal payday, so tomorrow’s gonna be a busy morning...a morning FULL of temptation, I might add.

—Patrick

Reactions
468 297 1
Isn’t Propanolol a beta blocker? What will that do to kids? I ask because I have tons of it lol....

I often fall asleep sitting up. Chronic pain and a demanding boss = no ability to stay awake. I was falling asleep driving home one night last week. I would like to stay awake!

Reactions
684 110 0
No, no. When they’re really young, you start them with Propranolol.

In other news, federal refund is slated to post overnight tonight, alongside my normal payday, so tomorrow’s gonna be a busy morning...a morning FULL of temptation, I might add.

—Patrick
I was just coming in here to brag about the exact same thing. :brofist:

Reactions
187 106 0
I finally finished a book series I've been reading since grade 10 - it only took 19 years to read 15 books!

That's right, The Wheel of Time is officially finished.

Reactions
785 60 0
I finally finished a book series I've been reading since grade 10 - it only took 19 years to read 15 books!

That's right, The Wheel of Time is officially finished.
To be fair, it took ~13 years to publish the books in the first place.

Reactions
1,821 530 14
Internet at my house has been out 7+ hrs now due to weather (probably).
Hooked up my phone to supply Internet so I could view weather, file an outage claim, chat with a rep, all that.
In the process also discovered I have something like 20GB of rollover data.
Well ok then, looks like my evening will not be significantly impacted.

--Patrick

Reactions
187 106 0
Another small win.

I've been away from the office for two weeks. Got a text from a congregant this morning (my first day back) saying: "we're lucky to have you."
Yay for warm fuzzy feelings!

Dave

Staff member
Reactions
1,713 763 13
Had a really, REALLY realistic dream last night that I had gotten fired and when I woke up I still had a job. I nearly woke up to a panic attack.

Reactions
759 224 5
I've been procrastinating filing my tax return because thanks to the Marketplace, I've ended up owing a couple hundred dollars every year since it opened. Last year it was over $400. But that was partly due to a change in job and income.

This year... NOTHING. I actually get a refund. I'm not going to get it, but that's another thread, and something I've gotten used to over the years.

Reactions
1,821 530 14
I also completed a crapton of things on Sun, list in hand.
I forgot one rather important thing I'm avoiding for 5min right now, but I'm burning through that as much as I can, too.

--Patrick