Minor victory thread

Reactions
170 6 0
Speaking of, I went back over my student loans. I really should be more thankful for the good deal I got on my loans. My interest rates were low and my parents helped me out enough that my payments have been manageable the whole time. I feel like I’ve been one of the lucky ones.

fade

Staff member
Reactions
201 24 0
I went to college in the 90s when the economy was up. My rate was 8%, and that was supposedly good at the time.

Reactions
88 23 0
I was extremely fortunate to be able to get out of University with very low loans, land a government job right away and arrive at just the right time to receive part of a massive retroactive pay increase that enabled me to repay the whole thing around a year after finishing school.

Did I say extremely fortunate? That sounds like a hell of an understatement...

Reactions
554 100 4
I graduated college with no loans outstanding. Then I married into loans that had grown larger than their original disbursement amount. Yaaaaaay.

—Patrick

Reactions
134 32 0
Left undergrad and grad school with 10k in loans. It's down to 6k. Slowly knocking it down. The rate is super low for one 3.5% and 6.5% for the other. My wife has none. They'll get sorted. I am tired of having them around, but they're at least manageable. I am lucky to have so little debt after hearing from several colleagues who have nearly 10x what I have.

Reactions
204 78 0
2 hours and 50 minutes of character creation, 10 minutes for a TPK. Sounds plausible.
Ah, I see you played a game or two with my old GM. Though to be fair, it was usually his own (N-ish)PCs that died tragically within 10 minutes of the campaign starting.

Reactions
143 1 3
2 hours and 50 minutes of character creation, 10 minutes for a TPK. Sounds plausible.
10 minutes? How about 30 seconds?

First encounter, all lvl 1 characters
Sorcerer: I cast Mage Armor on myself!
DM: OK, do that, and then roll a separate d20 and a d100
Sorcerer: I rolled a 1 on the d20, and a 7 on the d100
DM: OK, the d20 means you had a Wild Magic Surge. The 7 on the d100 means that according to the Wild Magic Surge table you... cast fireball centered on yourself. (rolls 8d6 damage dice). Everybody roll a dex saving throw. If you don't get higher than a 14, you take 30 fire damage, or 15 if you make the save.

Rogue: I save!... but I only have 12 hp total.
Everybody else: I don't make the save.

DM: You're all dead from the Fireball.
Everybody else: glares at the sorcerer.

(It's impossible for any 1st level character of any class to have 30HP, and 15 would be a barbarian with near-max CON score, or fighter with 20 CON via an 18 roll plus 2 for race, and they'd be making death saving throws at exactly 0 health)

Btw, this is why many DMs just make that result on the wild magic surge table "not happen" (re-roll) if they hit it below level 5 or so, because it's an auto-TPK.

Reactions
245 24 1
10 minutes? How about 30 seconds?

First encounter, all lvl 1 characters
Sorcerer: I cast Mage Armor on myself!
DM: OK, do that, and then roll a separate d20 and a d100
Sorcerer: I rolled a 1 on the d20, and a 7 on the d100
DM: OK, the d20 means you had a Wild Magic Surge. The 7 on the d100 means that according to the Wild Magic Surge table you... cast fireball centered on yourself. (rolls 8d6 damage dice). Everybody roll a dex saving throw. If you don't get higher than a 14, you take 30 fire damage, or 15 if you make the save.

Rogue: I save!... but I only have 12 hp total.
Everybody else: I don't make the save.

DM: You're all dead from the Fireball.
Everybody else: glares at the sorcerer.

(It's impossible for any 1st level character of any class to have 30HP, and 15 would be a barbarian with near-max CON score, or fighter with 20 CON via an 18 roll plus 2 for race, and they'd be making death saving throws at exactly 0 health)

Btw, this is why many DMs just make that result on the wild magic surge table "not happen" (re-roll) if they hit it below level 5 or so, because it's an auto-TPK.
But that's not that works, that's not how any of that works.

Reactions
189 70 0
Quickest TPK I've been in was due to some very unlucky rolls while fighting the giant frogs near the entrance to the ruined fort in Village of Hommlet. Bad encounter for a small 1st level party without hirelings (other than maybe a torchbearer).

Reactions
201 37 1
Wild Magic NEVER triggers on Cantrips and is ALWAYS at the discretion of the DM.
But Mage Armor isn't a cantrip, it's a first level spell. And sure, ti's at DM's discretion, but disregarding the outcome after a public roll isn't great DM'ing either. The DM probably figured it'd be some cool effect which would show "oh wow how wild can it get" which would open a door to letting WMS slide a bunch of times later on when it might matter.

Reactions
245 24 1
But Mage Armor isn't a cantrip, it's a first level spell. And sure, ti's at DM's discretion, but disregarding the outcome after a public roll isn't great DM'ing either. The DM probably figured it'd be some cool effect which would show "oh wow how wild can it get" which would open a door to letting WMS slide a bunch of times later on when it might matter.
Wait Mage Armour? What happened to Fire Bolt at the goblin? Did it get edited while I was napping or is this one of those days.

Reactions
143 1 3
Wait Mage Armour? What happened to Fire Bolt at the goblin? Did it get edited while I was napping or is this one of those days.
;)

I noticed my error and stealth-edited it. You're right, cantrips don't trigger it, but 1st-level spells do, and as Bubble said, Mage Armor is a 1st-level spell, and honestly, just as (if not more) plausible. And you're right too that the DM controls when they roll the d20:
Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20. If you roll a1, roll on the W ild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect.
Note that it's up to the DM when to roll the d20, but the effect "just happens" and is not up to the DM (more or less... they're the DM, ANYTHING can happen). But considering how RARELY you're going to get the surge in the first place, my understanding is that sorc players want to surge, and given that they only have a few spell slots per day... they're pretty much always wanting to roll on it, otherwise it's pretty much not going to happen, since it's only 1/20 chance by default.

Short answer: my original scenario is plausible, hence my comment about most DMs just having that option be a re-roll at low levels.

Reactions
554 100 4
We were going to get my father-in-law a new computer for Christmas to replace his curbside hand-me-down, but with all that's been going on lately, the $600-700 price tag was going to be too much. But then that (time-sensitive) deal I mentioned earlier came along...
...so yeah, we jumped on it, and finally got him to step up to something better:

newfilcpu.png

So yeah, for about $210 total (we sprung $30 extra to double the RAM), we upgraded him from a 1-core AMD w/ 4GB RAM to a 4-core Xeon with Hyperthreading and 12GB RAM. His AOL is gonna absolutely fly.
His new hard drive shrunk from the old 250GB to 160GB, and his graphics took a step backwards (Radeon 4xxx to 3xxx) but he wasn't using more than about 40GB HDD anyway and I can move the old GPU over if needed. He'll deal. Plus there's room for 3 more HDDs if it comes to that.

Ironically, until I went to capture that graphic, I hadn't realized that he didn't even move up a generation in computing. His new computer is from exactly the same time period, it's just one that's from SIGNIFICANTLY higher up on the performance chain than his old one.

--Patrick

Last edited: