Minor victory thread

Got half a cord of wood delivered yesterday, now I can heat my house without going bankrupt! Seriously, I don't know* how they managed to make this house so inefficient to heat. It costs as much or more to heat my 1400 sqft house as it did to heat my 1700 sqft townhome - and I'm paying 3 to 4 cents less per kwh here.

*Yes I do - it was built in 1980, the windows have been upgraded to vinyl but the sliding glass door has not, and half of the first floor is designated as a "daylight basement" and therefore has foundation vents all around it.

Every time you complain about energy efficiency you're required by law to spend $20-$50 on insulation, seals, or caulking and install it.

Every time you complain about energy efficiency you're required by law to spend $20-$50 on insulation, seals, or caulking and install it.
Which I wholeheartedly intend to do, just as soon as I have a spare $20 to $50.

Edit: Actually, the first thing I should probably do is replace the front door. The gaps around it are so bad that at least one person has attempted to correct them using weather seal tape and you don't actually need a spyhole to see who's on the other side.

fade

Staff member
I'm pretty annoyed about this stuff myself. After the sleet storm, most houses in this neighborhood had white roofs, but mine was patchy. This is particularly annoying because I just paid $1000 to have new attic insulation blown in. Doesn't seem to have worked very well.

I've never been a huge fan of blow-in insulation, but that's mostly just because insulation is one area where I have experience, and as much as it pains itches me to admit it, I'd rather do it myself with rolls of fiberglass insulation and a staple gun.

Schlepped one Kallax to work tonight, and afte a quick eyeball, it looks like I'll have just enough room for the @stienman-designed entertainment center. :)

Whine: I have to dismantle the shelves in order to fit them in the car. So it's going to take time to move the full set. :(

fade

Staff member
I've never been a huge fan of blow-in insulation, but that's mostly just because insulation is one area where I have experience, and as much as it pains itches me to admit it, I'd rather do it myself with rolls of fiberglass insulation and a staple gun.
It's funny, because I'm a DIY guy all the way. But this one time, I decided to have it done because the numbers actually worked out better to have it done, and it would've been really hard to get the rolls into the places that really needed it.

Sister got a letter from the bank. Sale of the house is scheduled for Feb. 12.

A victory? Yes. Now I have a definite date. I'm already moving, so with each carload this week and the next, there's that much less to worry about. I had to disassemble the stereo first, because getting that set up and the records off the floor is key to setting up the rest of the space.

I'm actually looking forward to this, because there will be so much less hanging over my head. Time for the next chapter to begin. (or would this be more the end of a volume?) :D

I got fired today! Not kidding. But I saw it coming (reasons), so it'll be OK.

So I get to plough the snow tomorrow without wondering if I'll be on time for work. Woot?

Yes a very mixed set of feelings on this one, but ultimately it will be for the good, hence why posted in this thread. No more details than that because "The Internet" and saying more might be bad if somebody had AMAZING google-fu.
I'm really sorry that this happened, even if you saw it coming. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

(I'm also really sorry that I didn't see this right away)

Just enough space... I could move it over to the left a little bit to open up that far right section, but there wouldn't be much room left for the desk chair. Which isn't a huge deal if I wind up connecting the desktop to the 43" Roku TV that I still have to move. So that mirror is going to be mostly useless. Not pictured is the dresser I moved over to underneath the coat rack by the door. :)

I just finished "Chip in My Brain" episode of This American Life. Replace A.J. with my mom and you have a picture of my childhood. She didn't say the Illuminati, but the rest of it is the same. My mom still believes in demons, and that there is actual battle for our souls (thanks This Present Darkness). I was told the world was going to end in our lifetime - the generation that sees Israel become a nation will also see Christ return. I was told that the Rapture will happen at any time. No one knows the time or the day; twinkling of an eye, etc. It was at its peak nuttiness when I was 10-12 years old. The same as the kid in podcast. I identified with that kid's experiences so much except he had parents that weren't feeding him the crazy.

This is a weird Minor Victory. I am still pretty bitter about this stuff, and hurt. This is my minor victory b/c I can finally see the crazy for what it is. It doesn't scare me anymore. It makes me super sad for my mom for living in fear of all this shit for nearly her whole life, and now that she is getting older the bible-crazy is starting to mix with old-person crazy and is making life with her quite difficult. I am quite glad I live across the country from her, but I love her. She was a good mom. She had a fucked up childhood, and she really did not repeat the cycle of abuse. But, it was wrong for her to project her misguided views of religion and her fervency of belief onto her kids.

I've accidentally "disagreed" to many posts that would have been awful to disagree to. I try very hard to change my rating right away, but I don't always catch it in time.

I made a bunch of soccer/pinterest moms literally unable to even, today.

(Had to shut down Target due to a bomb threat. Apparently not the only one in the country, either.)

I made a bunch of soccer/pinterest moms literally unable to even, today.

(Had to shut down Target due to a bomb threat. Apparently not the only one in the country, either.)
Well, they name themselves that, it's gonna happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1517082001,1517081946][/DOUBLEPOST]But seriously, I hope it was all fake threats.

We had our daughter’s birthday party off site and it was lovely because after two hours, it was done.

We’ve been doing these massive sleepovers for the last few years for both kids and they’re too insane. I forgot how nice an off-site party is.

And then I came home and took night time cold meds and slept.

Aw man, I hate showing up late to work, even if it's only 10 minutes.

Gets to work and finds out that due to a combination of snow and vacations, I will be the only person in the office for 2 hours.

GasBandit

Staff member
A brief review of my finances has shown that, while I (obviously) took it in the shorts in December in a big way, not having to eat for much of January really made it a gold star month for saving money :D

I feel that I should post something positive to balance out my earlier whine-fest. While shopping for special towels earlier, we found the blanket of all blankets. Evidently UGG makes conforters and bed sets and they were on sale. I have no clue how this thing is so soft and I don't care! The cats are fighting over who gets to sleep on the empty pillow case while I'm the real winner. I have the massive blanket.

PS - too ashamed to join in on tax discussion

Wow. So far we have none of our W2's, none of the tax info from either of our investment accounts, and nothing from either of our banks. Haven't even started my taxes yet, obviously.

fade

Staff member
I checked my investments, and they say "no tax form necessary for 2017". Weird. I need to check more closely how badly I did.