Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

I wish you were closer. I've got a pull cord replacement kit. And a couple of teenagers and snow shovels. And my wife and I are handy with drywall, plumbing, and carpeting.

If you take the snowblower to a small engine shop they should be able to tune it up so it's running more un-finicky for under $100, which is less than paying the neighbor kid to clear the driveway a few times - and you really should take care of your back. You aren't young anymore and they don't make back replacements - yet. Better to get it done at the start of January than leave it until you need it next time. If you can find a gas station that sells gasoline without ethanol, it may make a long-term difference in your engine health. Snowblowers are interesting in that they are used relatively infrequently, so the engines are generally long lasting, but gasoline additives and leaving them alone for months at a time often gums up various parts of the engine. A thorough tuneup should have it starting on the first pull again, and running strong throughout the season even as old as it is.

Sorry to hear your best option is foreclosure. Seven years is a long time to wait while your credit score recovers. Hopefully the mortgage is only in one or the other's name and not both, so it only hurts one of your scores, leaving the other with a good credit score.

I worry about my plumbing. One of these days I'm going to burst a pipe. I've done everything reasonable to prevent problems, but the anxiety is still present, particularly since my parents, my parent's in law and brother in law have all experienced basement floods. I guess I don't feel it too strongly though because I still haven't made a device to shut off the well pump if water is detected in the basement.

It's not the first time the cord has broken on this machine, I'm more mad because I am already the one the father-in-law blames for breaking the plumbing, since it didn't start leaking until after I plunged our slow bathroom sink. The plumbing is hodgepodge PVC/galvanized/copper that dates back to the 1950's or before, has 90-degree bends in the waste stack, but no, it broke because of me and a sink plunger. I'm sorry, but while I may be the one that pulled the last piece out of the Jenga tower before it fell, I am not to blame for removing the rest.

I've replaced a pull cord before, I don't expect it'd be any harder this time around (except for the current weather, of course). The snowblower has electric start, but nobody knew where the proper adapter cord was when I needed it. Also it turns out someone had spliced a cutoff valve into the fuel line that I didn't discover until after it quit/pull cord broke.
I would be happy to bring it to a small engine shop, but it's not mine and I would also need the father-in-law's Jeep (which is also not mine) to transport it (it's huge), and I know there would be more than $100 worth of repairs pending. See my statement above about the fuel cutoff. Also both tires are flat and frozen in that flat position, the auger can't/won't disengage even when the engine is idling, and if it were mine it would be run dry at the end of every season so no fuel would be left in the lines.

As for the house, my best option was NOT foreclosure, but since the mortgage company delayed my short sale with paperwork asking for new/revised paperwork for NINE MONTHS until literally 6 days after the buyer agreement expired, then when I said I would put it back on the market again they sent me a certified letter on the evening of 9/23 telling me they scheduled a foreclosure sale for 9/25, but I didn't get the letter until 9/27 because I'm not the only person living here and someone else signed for it (the father-in-law, again) and I didn't find out about the letter until 9/27. They could have saved so much money by taking the short sale offer, or failing that by letting me do deed-in-lieu instead of hiring a lawyer for foreclosure proceedings, but no, they had their plan and they obviously weren't going to tell me about it for some reason, so here we are. At least when the city sued me to remove a dead tree in the front yard, I got to point to the foreclosure date and tell them that $1300 bill was someone else's problem.

The house was only in my name, as were all the utilities. ... This is actually an interesting thing about the house we live in now, because part of the reason the house is in the shape it is is because the mortgage on it is solely in my mother-in-law's name...and she died in 2012. Nobody else's name is on the loan. We have no idea if the bank will someday just show up and say, "Ok we want it back you all need to move out now." I think father-in-law's name is on the deed, and I know my wife and two sisters-in-law's names are on a lady bird deed, but of course nobody knows how the ownership will shake out if father-in-law dies/is incapacitated (which it seems he refuses to stop flirting with), so nobody wants to put potentially tens of thousands of dollars' worth of improvement into something that might just be yoinked out from under us. It's at times a stressful situation.

--Patrick

Going for understatement of the year this early in 2018, eh?
I don't know why it doesn't get me down as much as Kati. She can't even bear to think about it or it'll reduce her to tear-y insecurity.

I'm more of a stoic.
understatement of the year
See? I did it again.

On the plus side, my new liabilities are just about matched by the removal of my old ones, so financially, I should be fine...except for the credit rating thing, of course. And the lack of meaningful progress.

--Patrick

Time to update my website. Last time I did it was 2009, and it looks it. At least it doesn't look as bad as it did when I had it up on Geocities.

So, my list of whines:
  1. no browser supports MIDI any more, and the standard apple MIDI player QuickTime (along with its browser plugin) is deprecated too. MIDI just ain't a thing on the web any longer. Unfortunately, I have 987 midi files, because I don't know every tune on my site, so I can't make personal recordings of each one. I can convert them to mp3, but that leads me to:
  2. MIDI files are small. Most of my files are 2-4K in size. Using a bulk MIDI-to-MP3 converter puts them at 300-500K each, even using super low MP3 settings. So, the sound files have gone from a total of 1.81 megs to 326 megs. This is a ridiculous amount of bloat and feels like a giant step backwards.
  3. The old website was all HTML--then I converted it to ASP and used an MSAccess database backend. When updated to .net in 2009, I kept the database, because, why the hell not? But now, I've decided to move everything to SQL. This is turning out to be more of a pain in the ass than it should have to be. This also leads me to:
  4. I don't have an instance of SQL Server at home any more. I uninstalled my legal MSDN evaluation copy when I updated my machine, because I never used it. So, I'm having to remote into work on my vacation, and borrow the instance installed on my dev machine.
  5. Back when I first did the site, I had a recommendations page that had amazon associate links on it. It made me a little money..between $10-100 a month depending. When I redid the site, I took advantage of amazon's "hey, use this amazing feature" associates storefront (http://astore.amazon.com/) and built a whole store. It didn't change my income, but it did make management easier, and looked a ton better. Three guesses as to which associates feature they shitcanned a while back?
  6. I'm a programmer, not a web designer. For the life of me, I can't really figure out a good UI to present my tunes to the user in a way that's user friend and still gets all the data across. Basically, I need to be able to present a list of tune names to the user, and let them be able to look at the sheet music and recordings of same, along with lyrics if there are any. Same for "whistle reviews": I need to present a list of whistles to the user, and when they select one, show them associated review. And I'd like to do this in such a way that the end user can bookmark the tune/review if possible (since that's not been possible under the current UI model and I think it's hurt my reach, since users can't send links to each other of specific tunes or reviews). And I'm just not coming up with any ideas that don't sound like ass. :(
At least I have a few things going for me:
  1. With html5, there's built in audio and video player support, so playing the sound files will be simpler, and I can even start linking in videos in the reviews and recordings.
  2. I can clean up the database structure so that future features are easier to implement.
  3. This is an opportunity to improve things in a lot of ways: I can write web services into the back end, and then easily write a handheld/app version for android and IOS once I get the UI problem figured out.
  4. I can build in some CRUD tools (create/read/update/delete) so that I can add/edit entries without downloading an Access MDB and changing stuff by hand in the database.
#6 above is the big sticking point. If anyone wants to take a look at the ancient site, it's at www.tinwhistler.com. Take a look under "tunes by name" or "tunes by type" and see what's currently there and under "whistle reviews". If you have any ideas, I'm desperate :D

Microsoft has a free "Express" SQL implementation so long as you keep it under 10GB, 'fraid I don't know much about the alternatives.
I wish I knew a better alternative for MIDI, but if people are listening on mobile/laptop anyway, you can probably get by with 128k VBR for most music. It's too bad ogg isn't more widely supported, I remember it's consistently better than MP3 at the same bitrates.

--Patrick

Microsoft has a free "Express" SQL implementation so long as you keep it under 10GB, 'fraid I don't know much about the alternatives.
I wish I knew a better alternative for MIDI, but if people are listening on mobile/laptop anyway, you can probably get by with 128k VBR for most music. It's too bad ogg isn't more widely supported, I remember it's consistently better than MP3 at the same bitrates.

--Patrick
I'm converting these things at the lowest bitrate this "bulk converter" software will do. It's MIDI. Even at 22K it will likely sound exactly the same ;)

My big sticking point is coming up with a new UI. Everything else is just programmer grumbling.

Look, body, if I'm getting sick just do it. Let me have it! This sore throat, stuffy nose, post nasal drip off and on for the past three days is annoying.

Whatever you do, you’re going to have to take a good hard look at SEO. Each tune and whistle should have its own url, with the tune title and whistle model and manufacturer in the url, preferably not in the parameters but the page name or directory name.

When I search for “a farewell to Connaught whistle sheet music” that page on your site should be in the top few listings. There’s an xml format file to produce in your root that will help search engines with this that your site should be able to produce on command. Further it’ll encourage people to link directly to
The tune on your site rather than copying the images, or music.

As far as the ui, that’s a topic that could take a whole thread or forum by itself. SEO will get someone to your site, but engaging them is harder. I’d suggest first cross linking similar tunes by melody, genre, holiday/event, tradition, religion, etc and then providing a list as the bottom of each, “if you like this tune you might also like...”

Further, every tune name that appears anywhere is not only clickable to get to the tune page, but also has a play button next to it to give them a preview. They don’t have to leave the page to listen to a tune.

Keeping track of and showing leaderboards has some problems, but is very engaging to users, when they see the tune they like is well received by others or perhaps more niche.

If you have a video performance of a tune it should show up on that page, and there should be an icon or thumbnail on links to that page so it’s easy for visitors to see which ones have recorded performances vs machine produced music.

You might also consider a patreon- not for the money, but to build a relationship with your audience and a group to ask these questions to - they’ll be interested in providing site feedback.

Graphically you need a designer. Go ahead and start building the backend stuff but see if you can connect with a designer and artist to help you with the front end.

Whatever you do, you’re going to have to take a good hard look at SEO. Each tune and whistle should have its own url, with the tune title and whistle model and manufacturer in the url, preferably not in the parameters but the page name or directory name.
I agree. https://thesession.org/ does this, has always done this, and has surpassed me in terms of word-of-mouth for this very reason. I was planning on using MVC as my dev platform so that my links would look somtheing like www.tinwhistler.com/reviews/abell or www.tinwhistler.com/tune/dunmorelasses

When I search for “a farewell to Connaught whistle sheet music” that page on your site should be in the top few listings. There’s an xml format file to produce in your root that will help search engines with this that your site should be able to produce on command. Further it’ll encourage people to link directly to
The tune on your site rather than copying the images, or music.
Yup. I have a sitemap xml for google, but since switching to the first iteration of .net, it became fairly useless, because all of the tune names and stuff are in session variables, and really not very mappable. This will change when moving to the MVC format.

Further, every tune name that appears anywhere is not only clickable to get to the tune page, but also has a play button next to it to give them a preview. They don’t have to leave the page to listen to a tune.
Yeah, my initial thoughts are to present the user with a sortable list (sortable by tune, type, etc) that had play buttons right on the list, as well as a link that would take you to a more detailed page with the sheet music, lyrics, play buttons (also), video links (I've already started making vids), cross links to the reviews page (if I have a personal recording of the tune). But in my mind's eye, I just can't make the big ugly list look good.

Graphically you need a designer. Go ahead and start building the backend stuff but see if you can connect with a designer and artist to help you with the front end.
Already on it. Almost all the SQL is done, web services are complete, and as mentioned, I've started making vids (already have about 40). I'm at the stage where I want to start building the UI out and seeing how it looks. And the UI is giving me fits ;)

-Yippee skippy.
-Yeah, of two shit books that no one bought.
-No I don't. I said I'm in TEACHER TRAINING. I'm not certified and I'm not teaching.

Also, just had this lovely conversation with someone on Facebook that only made me more upset.
View attachment 26423
That guy is being an asshole, but it's important to know that he's not meaning to be. In his mind he is trying to help with what he considers "tough love." This is because many people do not understand depression. They are confused by it and fail to understand what is going on.

This doesn't excuse his behavior, nor stop you from being affected by it, but hopefully it can help a little to know he's not willfully trying to hurt you

GasBandit

Staff member
Cheer up, you probably won’t even remember most of one of them.

—Patrick
That's thursday.

Today and tomorrow I'm trying to get as much as possible done so it doesn't get fuxxored while I'm out.

And tomorrow, I have to do it on no food at all. Not even protein shakes. (I got some chicken broth but I don't expect that to help a whole lot.)

How long does a pixie cut take to grow out?

I've been on LTD for about 18 months (I had a pixie cut then with long bangs and got lazy and stopped cutting it then decided to grow it out) and my bangs are now long enough for a pony tail and the stuff in the back goes into one as well, but it's a sad specimen. It's tiny. Our daughter's hair is a few inches longer and she has a decent sized pony tail.

I'm freaking that I may still be losing hair from my weekly chemo injection. I don't see the handfuls on my shoulders like I used to from my infusion, so I thought it had stopped. It's either that or my pixie cut is still growing out?!

Very babyish whine....I'm aware.[DOUBLEPOST=1514937641,1514937579][/DOUBLEPOST]I also have weird pieces breaking off in the back and the new stuff that fee back from the infusions came in wavy. It's a hot mess.

How long does a pixie cut take to grow out?

I've been on LTD for about 18 months (I had a pixie cut then with long bangs and got lazy and stopped cutting it then decided to grow it out) and my bangs are now long enough for a pony tail and the stuff in the back goes into one as well, but it's a sad specimen. It's tiny. Our daughter's hair is a few inches longer and she has a decent sized pony tail.

I'm freaking that I may still be losing hair from my weekly chemo injection. I don't see the handfuls on my shoulders like I used to from my infusion, so I thought it had stopped. It's either that or my pixie cut is still growing out?!

Very babyish whine....I'm aware.[DOUBLEPOST=1514937641,1514937579][/DOUBLEPOST]I also have weird pieces breaking off in the back and the new stuff that fee back from the infusions came in wavy. It's a hot mess.
I cut my hair down pretty short (and buzzed one side of it) about 2 and a half years ago and the side I buzzed is about at my shoulders now. The pony tail will be pathetic until all of your hair is falling to the same length again. Do you get trims? It's really important to do that while growing out pixie cuts or your hair will in fact look like a hot mess because of the way it grows.

I cut my hair down pretty short (and buzzed one side of it) about 2 and a half years ago and the side I buzzed is about at my shoulders now. The pony tail will be pathetic until all of your hair is falling to the same length again. Do you get trims? It's really important to do that while growing out pixie cuts or your hair will in fact look like a hot mess because of the way it grows.
Yes, I’ve been getting trims. Small ones because of the huge difference in length between the front and back. My hair is so weird. The front is awesome looking and the back is thin, short in spots, broken and super weird looking.

It’s really bothering me. I wish it weren’t.[DOUBLEPOST=1514953509,1514953298][/DOUBLEPOST]
Usual rate is 6in/15cm per year, or 0.5in/12mm per month. It’ll slow down some as you age, of course.

—Patrick
I was also on two medications that were working against me for most of this time and actively causing some of my hair to fall out :(

fade

Staff member
It's my wife's birthday, and I posted on her FB page something like, "Happy birthday! (does this count as a gift)?" That's an obvious joke, right? One of her friends replied, "No. It is not." Maybe she's joking, but I don't know this person to be a jocular type. That just completely annoys me for some reason.

It's my wife's birthday, and I posted on her FB page something like, "Happy birthday! (does this count as a gift)?" That's an obvious joke, right? One of her friends replied, "No. It is not." Maybe she's joking, but I don't know this person to be a jocular type. That just completely annoys me for some reason.
Just troll her and put a lol emoji on there.