1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

Minor victory thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Thread Necromancer, Apr 13, 2010.

1. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB3,039
    Just keep an eye on the little monkey pal.

--Patrick

• I get that reference. I get that reference. x 3
  2. Hylian

Hylian Honorary Browncoat

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB397
    As of today I have been on hormones for one year! :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
  3. Celt Z

Celt Z Ginger

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,744
    I know you've mentioned things are less than ideal with you family, but overall, how do YOU feel, now that your getting to live as your true self? (For lack of a better description. )

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hylian

Hylian Honorary Browncoat

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB397

Not counting my genetic donors and their bigotry I am doing pretty well. I still have a hard time seeing the changes but I know I have had a lot of them (according to friends at least). Mentally I am a lot happier although still dealing with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and other stuff I've had my whole life. I never felt like I was living before but was just existing. Now I am not quite feeling alive but I feel like I'm becoming alive. I still don't look how I wish (although it's only been a year and hormones take several years and I'm not the best judge of myself, lol) but overall I'd say I'm finally feeling like there is a future for me :)

• Hugs Hugs x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler One Of Us

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,106
    So, getting the new office means that the cable modem (which is a shitty one provided by comcast) no longer reaches the living room or upstairs bedroom reliably.

So, I got a couple wireless access points to put in strategic locations. This is pretty simple, because when I had the house built, they threw in hardwood floors as a free builder option--but I opted to trade them out for having every room in the house wired for ethernet. So, I can plug the APs in near an unused ethernet port on each floor and run a short cable to it.

The problem? I have an 8 port gigabit switch in the basement, and it's full, and I don't have any spare ports to use. What makes this a minor victory: most 16 port switches are built to be rack mountable, so I finally convinced my wife to let me put a server rack in the storage area in the basement to hold the switch, and I can move my media server down there. When I first broached that subject in 2013, I was told "oh, hell no..." Now, she's geeking out and looking up various rack solutions for me :p Now, I just gotta decide if I want a free standing rack or a wall mount unit

• Like Like x 6
  6. PatrThom

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB3,039
    That mainly depends on whether or not you want to put anything else underneath the rack.

--Patrick

7. Squidleybits

Squidleybits Pika Pika Choo Choo!

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,056
    I showered a little while ago and I was able to get dressed and proceed to go ahead and live my life afterwards without hours of burning and Benadryl taking!!!

My biologic is out of my system now because I refused to take it Friday because I still haven't had that test approved. I have another appointment for next week because I still don't know if they will give me the test or not, but it can't be a coincidence that I'm able to shower once it's out of my system can it? I will always have my chronic hives but before this biologic they were very manageable with reasonable amounts of Benadryl. I've been taking enough to down a horse recently and it's only been enough to make them slow down enough so I can make individual hives in the red burning mess.

So yay for showering like a normal person!

• Like Like x 5
    • LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! x 1
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
  8. jwhouk

jwhouk Stuck In North Central Walkerstan

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB422
    That would lead me, a proponent of the scientific method and Occam's Razor, to believe that there is something about the biologic (is that a Canadian term for something here in the states, like biotics?) that is triggering the hives.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  9. Dirona

Dirona go team cleric!

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB655
  10. PatrThom

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB3,039
    I was also noticing a possible connection.

--Patrick

11. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Hoopy Frood

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB688
    My wife and I are going to Tennessee next weekend and week for vacation, first we've really taken in a couple of years. We do volunteer tech work at our church, I'm a video director, she works with sound on monitors and stage sound. We've always tried to give back to our church homes over the years, and have continued doing this as much as we can. We don't get paid for doing any of this. Our tech director surprised us today with some gift cards for our trip, several hundred dollars worth. Honestly, it made me cry.

We don't do any of this for recognition (I have a few people that think that I sing in the choir, I have a not-so-evil twin at church), and honestly I'm happy with that. If you don't notice that we're doing stuff, because it's working the way it's supposed to work, then we've done our job correctly.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hugs Hugs x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
  12. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,476
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PatrThom

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB3,039
  14. HCGLNS

HCGLNS Grumpier than most.

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,246
    Today I got a new donut!

And I ate it!

15. Bubble181

Bubble181 The odd one out

Behind the eyes of a *really* realistic android
    Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,360
    Was it double chocolate?

16. fade

fade Insert "Yo mama" joke here Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,745
    They call them biologics here, too. Humira is a good example of a biologic. They even use that word on the commercials. So are most vaccines. In general, they're not chemically synthesized.

https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/centersoffices/officeofmedicalproductsandtobacco/cber/ucm133077.htm

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. HCGLNS

HCGLNS Grumpier than most.

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,246
    Yes!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,313
    Son snapped his glasses in half two days before the start of school. Luckily they are still under warranty until the end of the month AND the eye doctor had them in stock! Yay!

19. fade

fade Insert "Yo mama" joke here Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,745
    Normally, I turn my nose up at up-sell warranties, but the glasses one has saved my wallet multiple times. In fact the warranty company probably has my son blacklisted.

20. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,313
    I got my son Flexon frames, because of that exact issue, and they automatically come with a warranty. :)

21. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Back to Back Champion

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,937
    Given the dominant headlines and various personal crises, today should have been a really shitty day. But thanks to this place, both directly and indirectly, I've found myself giggling like Frank Gorshin's Riddler multiple times during the day. Thank you, boobies. Thank you, "Dammit @Terrik!" Thanks, guys. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Hugs Hugs x 1
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
  22. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,476
    If you liked that video, you should watch some of the other halforums-specific videos on my youtube channel. Like my blatant ripoffs of Womble's "Bullshittery" videos, "Gaming Shenanigans."

• LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. DarkAudit

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,937
    Less than a minute in to have me laughing like an idiot, almost near tears. Well done. :D

24. DarkAudit

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,937
    Landed an interview with Nemacolin resort for tomorrow. They're much bigger than any hotel around here. As soon as I saw the size oft e place. "You're Playing With the Big Boys Now" got stuck in my head.

• Like Like x 7
  25. Emrys

Emrys Queen of the Doomweasels!

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,205
    Well, you can play with the big boys but make sure you're home before dark.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Squidleybits

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,056
    The kids and I went to the pawn shop I like to go for Pokemon games and the guys gave us a great deal. They gave us $40 off at the cash and I didn't ask. Their prices are very low to start with. I shop there because I don't care if my games come with the cases. I thought that was the win.

But no, our son decided to have a look at one of the games before we deleted the data and usually it's terrible. The person had no badges and played 20 minutes. This person had over 300 in their pokedex! Their PC didn't have much going on except for three pages of legendaries! Some from other games!

Three Mews! A shiny Arceus! Keldeo! Ridiculous stuff. My son was all sad that we were going to have to erase them and I was able to stop him thankfully.

27. blotsfan

blotsfan Upper Crust

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB1,158
    I think the previous user might've used a gameshark.*

*I have no idea if gamesharks are still a thing. I always liked my shiny celebi though.

28. Squidleybits

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB2,056
    They used something for sure :)

Those three identical Mews were not a coincidence.

I traded a handful over to my Alpha Sapphire game, including the shiny Arceus, and the other 30 plus are for my son.

29. jwhouk

jwhouk Stuck In North Central Walkerstan

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB422
    Friends of me and the wife are in the Twin Cities this weekend for a comic convention. As exhibitors, they get free passes for the convention to give to others.

Guess who's going to the Minnesota Fan Convention today? :)

Only reason this is a "minor" win - three hours one way, and the one artist who I'd love to see at a con isn't going to be there :/

• Like Like x 1
    • Hugs Hugs x 1