Minor victory thread

Landed an interview with Nemacolin resort for tomorrow. They're much bigger than any hotel around here. As soon as I saw the size oft e place. "You're Playing With the Big Boys Now" got stuck in my head.
Well, you can play with the big boys but make sure you're home before dark.

The kids and I went to the pawn shop I like to go for Pokemon games and the guys gave us a great deal. They gave us $40 off at the cash and I didn't ask. Their prices are very low to start with. I shop there because I don't care if my games come with the cases. I thought that was the win.

But no, our son decided to have a look at one of the games before we deleted the data and usually it's terrible. The person had no badges and played 20 minutes. This person had over 300 in their pokedex! Their PC didn't have much going on except for three pages of legendaries! Some from other games!

Three Mews! A shiny Arceus! Keldeo! Ridiculous stuff. My son was all sad that we were going to have to erase them and I was able to stop him thankfully.

I think the previous user might've used a gameshark.*

*I have no idea if gamesharks are still a thing. I always liked my shiny celebi though.

They used something for sure :)

Those three identical Mews were not a coincidence.

I traded a handful over to my Alpha Sapphire game, including the shiny Arceus, and the other 30 plus are for my son.

Friends of me and the wife are in the Twin Cities this weekend for a comic convention. As exhibitors, they get free passes for the convention to give to others.

Guess who's going to the Minnesota Fan Convention today? :)

Only reason this is a "minor" win - three hours one way, and the one artist who I'd love to see at a con isn't going to be there :/

I feel bad that I seem to vent here a lot, so I though that I should post something awesome as well today.

My uncle's friend is looking for someone to draw the cover of his next book and my uncle recommended me :)

It was super sweet of him to do that. I'm not sure if my style will be what this guy wants, or if I'm well enough to take on a huge project like this, but it's really cool that my huge family got me this opportunity :)

I went down to the south of Taiwan this weekend to attend a concert held by A-mei, probably the biggest female pop star in Taiwan. It was spectacular. Also since the concert was on Sunday evening, it would've been hard to make it back to work on Monday morning, so I took Monday off too, which was nice.

This only counts as a minor victory because I'm sitting back at work now staring at the massive pile of disasters I now have to deal with, which always happens when I take time off.

I ripped my fingers open on the table saw. I'm putting it in the Minor Victory thread because instead of turning my fingertips into hamburger meat, the cuts ended up being fairly superficial (albeit bloody as hell), and I didn't even need stitches.

Also, bonus tetanus shot. Score!

That said, the THUNK as the blade hit my fingers... gaaaaaah.

I ripped my fingers open on the table saw. I'm putting it in the Minor Victory thread because instead of turning my fingertips into hamburger meat, the cuts ended up being fairly superficial (albeit bloody as hell), and I didn't even need stitches.

That is very lucky! I'm so glad it wasn't worse.

I trimmed 1/4" off my left thumb on one of those. Still kinda scared of them 12 years later.

Invest in a Saw Stop

@drifter I'd be interested in knowing your out of pocket costs for the medical care you received, and comparing it to a sawstop or similar.

My father in law lost a finger to his saw over a year ago. And while I don't do woodworking frequently, I have two table saws (cheap contractor style, and a powermatic III cabinet saw) and every once in awhile I get the itch to sell them and get a sawstop saw, just in case.

fade

Staff member
I remember reading somewhere that the statistics on finger loss to table saws as seen from the ER is astounding. I own one, but I am deathly afraid of it, to be honest.

Knives don't remove material, so a knife injury is more easily treated.

Good table saws remove material, very difficult to repair.

Dull table saws mash and remove material. Reconstruction is nearly impossible, but can be done. Generally you lose most functionality of the finger, though, if you choose to go with reconstruction. A claw finger gets in the way and is less useful than a short or missing finger.

Reconstruction is more commonly attempted with thumb injuries than finger injuries, a claw thumb is better than no thumb. At least with fingers you've got extras...

@stienman I can let you know whenever I get the bill.

I'm familiar with the Sawstop, but never seriously considered it due to cost and my own normally cautious personality. Right now I'm planning to build a blade guard (well, a better designed one; I had one but removed it because it was getting in the way on this particular cut), but I may just suck it up and save up.

Is a band saw considered a table saw?

If so, I'm a member of the club. I got my thumb stuck in one back in the summer between grades 9 and 10 when I was working at the school. I had injured a finger on my right hand and gotten stitches and my supervisor thought having me run all the crappy, unclaimed shop projects through the band saw to turn them into scrap was a good job for me when I got back.

Is a band saw considered a table saw?
Well, no. The table saw is the flat table with a rotating disc-blade that you push the wood towards

But you're still totally a member of the club.

I almost eunuched myself witb a table saw. My hold on a full sheet slipped as the wood hit the saw and was pushed back into my groin. Missed it by an inch. Maybe.

Yes, no long sleeves, gloves, rings, dangly jewelry, or long hair not tied up.

Push sticks, stand aside the wood so if it does kickback it doesn't hit you. Face shield and respirator strongly advised.

Plan footing and movements ahead of time so your weight is never shifted toward the saw, if something happens and you stumble you'll fall away from it.

My personal favorite: if you're in the workshop and something falls, don't try to catch it. Soldering irons, knives, power tools - let the bodies hit the floor.

My paranoia/anxiety keeps me whole, but (fortunately) doesn't prevent me from using powerful tools of destruction...

IIRC wearing gloves near that sort of equipment is not advisable. Good pushsticks and sleds may be a better option.
I can advise from first hand experience, that wearing a large bandage like the ones they sometimes put over your hand when you've recently gotten your hand put back together also isn't advisable :)

Well, no. The table saw is the flat table with a rotating disc-blade that you push the wood towards

But you're still totally a member of the club.

I almost eunuched myself witb a table saw. My hold on a full sheet slipped as the wood hit the saw and was pushed back into my groin. Missed it by an inch. Maybe.
That sounds terrible! I had a sympathy puke in my mouth for you. You must have still been pretty badly cut!

Calling this a Minor Victory because I still don't know if this will pan out, but...

Some good news: the funding from Teamworks (an employment program for people with disabilities) went through. I'm now officially enrolled with TAYS' (Therapeutic Approach Yoga Studio) yoga instructor course. It starts in September and runs about one weekend a month until June.

So...yeah. Looks like I'm on the road to being a yoga teacher, everyone. Feeling nervous and scared to be optimistic at all because of all my past failures in trying to do something with my life.