Minor victory thread

My employer has already essentially made me work 40-hour weekends. Now, it's "Oh, you have two days off? Not completely, you have to work an additional shift on one of those, sucks for you to be on third shift. And hey, congrats on being fourth highest in seniority!"

My employer has already essentially made me work 40-hour weekends. Now, it's "Oh, you have two days off? Not completely, you have to work an additional shift on one of those, sucks for you to be on third shift. And hey, congrats on being fourth highest in seniority!"
Reminds me of when I was earning my CPA. Tax season for the grunts was an ugly thing. Especially when they knew that you lived a ten minute walk up the road.

Is this going to be a long term thing at your job? I'm hoping that there's some end in sight to all the forced OT.

Just don't go out and do anything dangerous starting January 2nd.
Funny you should say that.

I actually have vacation starting December 14th, all the way through to December 30th. Then, after the New Year, I get my 3 1/2 days worth of personal vacation, along with the eight hours for the New Year's Holiday. I'm scheduled off on the 4th and 5th of January, so I can take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd AND 6th off on vacation.

There is, of course, one problem: I have to come back to work on the night of New Year's Eve.

New Year's Eve is the one night of the year, traditionally, that you do not want to work third shift in the WIDOC. The first night I worked New Year's on 3rd, way back in 1994, I had to deal with broken glass, broken doors, garbage in the hallway, and near riots happening in other cottages.

Now, I also do plan on still having sick leave by the end of the year, sooooo...

I behaved myself and did not engage today when this couple tried to call me over to talk about them being parked in the last accessible spot when it was somewhat sketchy about whether or not they should be there (she had jogged over from the store to the truck where a dude had been sitting waiting for her in their running truck where it had been parked in the accessible spot right next to the store) and I had to use my cane and walk all the way across the lot in front of their truck to get to the store.

I was clearly struggling and she clearly hadn't struggled when she jogged to her truck. I'm sure that I gave her my bitchiest of bitch faces and as I passed her truck she rolled down her window and called out to me a few times, but I kept on walking. Nothing good was going to come of that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Underling #1 is a goddamn treasure. I was dreading working the weekend logs today, thinking I wouldn't get home until past 9pm tonight, and I just found that apparently at 11pm last night, she logged in remotely and worked them herself despite being out of town. I need to make sure our general manager knows that we cannot let her leave this job EVAR.

I know you've mentioned things are less than ideal with you family, but overall, how do YOU feel, now that your getting to live as your true self? (For lack of a better description. )

Not counting my genetic donors and their bigotry I am doing pretty well. I still have a hard time seeing the changes but I know I have had a lot of them (according to friends at least). Mentally I am a lot happier although still dealing with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and other stuff I've had my whole life. I never felt like I was living before but was just existing. Now I am not quite feeling alive but I feel like I'm becoming alive. I still don't look how I wish (although it's only been a year and hormones take several years and I'm not the best judge of myself, lol) but overall I'd say I'm finally feeling like there is a future for me :)

So, getting the new office means that the cable modem (which is a shitty one provided by comcast) no longer reaches the living room or upstairs bedroom reliably.

So, I got a couple wireless access points to put in strategic locations. This is pretty simple, because when I had the house built, they threw in hardwood floors as a free builder option--but I opted to trade them out for having every room in the house wired for ethernet. So, I can plug the APs in near an unused ethernet port on each floor and run a short cable to it.

The problem? I have an 8 port gigabit switch in the basement, and it's full, and I don't have any spare ports to use. What makes this a minor victory: most 16 port switches are built to be rack mountable, so I finally convinced my wife to let me put a server rack in the storage area in the basement to hold the switch, and I can move my media server down there. When I first broached that subject in 2013, I was told "oh, hell no..." Now, she's geeking out and looking up various rack solutions for me :p Now, I just gotta decide if I want a free standing rack or a wall mount unit

I showered a little while ago and I was able to get dressed and proceed to go ahead and live my life afterwards without hours of burning and Benadryl taking!!!

My biologic is out of my system now because I refused to take it Friday because I still haven't had that test approved. I have another appointment for next week because I still don't know if they will give me the test or not, but it can't be a coincidence that I'm able to shower once it's out of my system can it? I will always have my chronic hives but before this biologic they were very manageable with reasonable amounts of Benadryl. I've been taking enough to down a horse recently and it's only been enough to make them slow down enough so I can make individual hives in the red burning mess.

So yay for showering like a normal person!

That would lead me, a proponent of the scientific method and Occam's Razor, to believe that there is something about the biologic (is that a Canadian term for something here in the states, like biotics?) that is triggering the hives.

That would lead me, a proponent of the scientific method and Occam's Razor, to believe that there is something about the biologic (is that a Canadian term for something here in the states, like biotics?) that is triggering the hives.
I was also noticing a possible connection.

--Patrick

My wife and I are going to Tennessee next weekend and week for vacation, first we've really taken in a couple of years. We do volunteer tech work at our church, I'm a video director, she works with sound on monitors and stage sound. We've always tried to give back to our church homes over the years, and have continued doing this as much as we can. We don't get paid for doing any of this. Our tech director surprised us today with some gift cards for our trip, several hundred dollars worth. Honestly, it made me cry.

We don't do any of this for recognition (I have a few people that think that I sing in the choir, I have a not-so-evil twin at church), and honestly I'm happy with that. If you don't notice that we're doing stuff, because it's working the way it's supposed to work, then we've done our job correctly.

fade

Staff member
They call them biologics here, too. Humira is a good example of a biologic. They even use that word on the commercials. So are most vaccines. In general, they're not chemically synthesized.

https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/centersoffices/officeofmedicalproductsandtobacco/cber/ucm133077.htm

Son snapped his glasses in half two days before the start of school. Luckily they are still under warranty until the end of the month AND the eye doctor had them in stock! Yay!

fade

Staff member
Son snapped his glasses in half two days before the start of school. Luckily they are still under warranty until the end of the month AND the eye doctor had them in stock! Yay!
Normally, I turn my nose up at up-sell warranties, but the glasses one has saved my wallet multiple times. In fact the warranty company probably has my son blacklisted.

Normally, I turn my nose up at up-sell warranties, but the glasses one has saved my wallet multiple times. In fact the warranty company probably has my son blacklisted.
I got my son Flexon frames, because of that exact issue, and they automatically come with a warranty. :)

Given the dominant headlines and various personal crises, today should have been a really shitty day. But thanks to this place, both directly and indirectly, I've found myself giggling like Frank Gorshin's Riddler multiple times during the day. Thank you, boobies. Thank you, "Dammit @Terrik!" Thanks, guys. :D

GasBandit

Staff member
Given the dominant headlines and various personal crises, today should have been a really shitty day. But thanks to this place, both directly and indirectly, I've found myself giggling like Frank Gorshin's Riddler multiple times during the day. Thank you, boobies. Thank you, "Dammit @Terrik!" Thanks, guys. :D
If you liked that video, you should watch some of the other halforums-specific videos on my youtube channel. Like my blatant ripoffs of Womble's "Bullshittery" videos, "Gaming Shenanigans."

If you liked that video, you should watch some of the other halforums-specific videos on my youtube channel. Like my blatant ripoffs of Womble's "Bullshittery" videos, "Gaming Shenanigans."

Less than a minute in to have me laughing like an idiot, almost near tears. Well done. :D