Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Well.... generally speaking, you put them between the nut you're tightening down and the surface through which the bolt has passed, in order to spread the point load of that bolt/nut solution across a wider surface area and to ensure that the bolt doesn't just get ripped back through the hole, nut and all.

Or, you call them and say "Good day, how much to wash my flat, it's getting quite atrocious?"
I was trying to make a funny! :D

FUCK!

Got rear-ended last sunday. Bumper was damaged and so car had to go to the repair shop. Well, when they took it off, they found pillar damage, so my car is now totaled. I have 7 days before my insurance stops paying for the rental car I am in and so I need to go find a new/used car to drive in that time. We are struggling financially right now and really can't afford car payments. We'll have to seriously shift our budget.

We will survive, but it is going to be tight for a bit. :(

FUCK!

Got rear-ended last sunday. Bumper was damaged and so car had to go to the repair shop. Well, when they took it off, they found pillar damage, so my car is now totaled. I have 7 days before my insurance stops paying for the rental car I am in and so I need to go find a new/used car to drive in that time. We are struggling financially right now and really can't afford car payments. We'll have to seriously shift our budget.

We will survive, but it is going to be tight for a bit. :(
Was the other guy at fault? This should all be on them if it was.

Which is why acting now is imperative. Get the claim in on their insurance ASAP if they were at fault.
Jun got rear-ended last month by a truck who was rear-ended by another car....at a stoplight. So she and the other guy were not at fault and the lady who hit them both was completely at fault. My insurance, Geico, basically told me it wasn't their problem and to go bug the ladies insurance--which I did (21st Century). They ended up totaling my car, and gave me the kelly blue book value for it. That being said, I didn't enough money to buy a car of similar make/model pretty much anywhere--I'd still have to chip in 1-2 grand (or more, depending). That's pretty much the max I could get. General Specific might be in a similar boat. I'm sure he'll get money--but whether or not it's enough to cover another car is anyone's guess.

Jun got rear-ended last month by a truck who was rear-ended by another car....at a stoplight. So she and the other guy were not at fault and the lady who hit them both was completely at fault. My insurance, Geico, basically told me it wasn't their problem and to go bug the ladies insurance--which I did (21st Century). They ended up totaling my car, and gave me the kelly blue book value for it. That being said, I didn't enough money to buy a car of similar make/model pretty much anywhere--I'd still have to chip in 1-2 grand (or more, depending). That's pretty much the max I could get. General Specific might be in a similar boat. I'm sure he'll get money--but whether or not it's enough to cover another car is anyone's guess.
Exact same thing happened to me. Progressive handled all of it for me. They said they would cut me a check or the would go after the guy at fault. I didn't have to do anything. The big difference was that my car didn't get totaled. It had to have been close to the cutoff though.

Exact same thing happened to me. Progressive handled all of it for me. They said they would cut me a check or the would go after the guy at fault. I didn't have to do anything. The big difference was that my car didn't get totaled. It had to have been close to the cutoff though.
Progressive does seem to be the better insurer. My dad got rear-ended in May, and Progressive took his car in that day, totaled it, paid for his rental and cut him a check all within 3 days.

GasBandit

Staff member
When my last car got totalled, the other driver's insurance gave me enough for a better car and then some... but then, I also sustained injuries and had medical bills to wave at them.

Well the problem we have here is that the person at fault could not prove they had insurance to the cop at the scene. I am still waiting on that. I have the court date and right now, you bet your ass I am showing up to that.

I should clarify a bit as it was actually frame damage and not specifically a pillar that was damaged. Not a really big difference, but whatever.

I will probably have to go find a used car somewhere to buy. My wife has already been researching and found a couple of possibilities, but I'd have to chip in some of my own money to get it. The time table is rough right now as well because I am in the middle of the eclipse path and SC is going to get fucked by the tourists this weekend.

If the at fault person actually proves they have insurance, then something else may happen. Including the possibility of lawyering up and going after these people.

fade

Staff member
Well in the ongoing saga of the failing petroleum industry, this company laid off another employee, bringing us down into the 20s now, I think. And they're instituting a new pay reduction. A really large one, too. Up to a 1/4 reduction for some.
Aww sweet. I won the pay reduction lottery. I got 24.44%. But it wasn't the full 25%. Truly, they are generous gods.

Aww sweet. I won the pay reduction lottery. I got 24.44%. But it wasn't the full 25%. Truly, they are generous gods.
Given people's affinity for choosing round numbers, I wonder if those four significant digits give enough information to determine your previous and current salary.

fade

Staff member
No, it's because they decided to give out cuts from 8-25% based on your pay rank within the company to be "fair".

Woo, there's nothing like seeing the light of a financial crunch tunnel only to have something new just shit all over the exit of that tunnel leaving you in the dark smelling shit.

Here's a confession. I fucking hate money. Hate it.

*sigh* I can't sleep. And no, before anyone makes that fucking Simpson's reference, clowns will not eat me.

I'm supposed to work in 7 hours, but have to be up in less than 5. And I can't sleep.

Doesn't matter. I probably won't be working there much longer. I started doing training shifts in the cafe side, but I was told today that I'm not learning everything (making drink orders) fast enpugh. So I'm not one the cafe schedule at all for the next two weeks. The supervisor said we'll see how things go by the end of the week. And since I know myself well enough that I WON'T pick things up fast enough for their liking, then that's it for getting more hours over there.

Meanwhile, I'm fucking useless on the bike shop side and getting snapped at more and more at the boss for little screw ups or forgetting things. I don't know bikes or the products well enough to answer most questions. I keep deferring customers to the boss. I can't really do any repairs on bikes because it's all still too new to me. The other guy - who DOES know more about bikes - leaves this week, so the boss is stuck with useless me.

I'd try looking for another job, but why bother? There's nothing.

Meanwhile, I had applied for a yoga teacher training course starting next month. I learned through my case worker at an employment center that they could fund the whole thing. Except I haven't heard anything from them on that in weeks. So I don't even know if I can take the program at all.

If that falls through AND I inevitably lose this job at the shop/cafe? I'm done. I'm giving up and saying goodbye. Because there's no point.

By the gods below, I've got the stupidest, laziest co-workers on the face of the earth! Seriously, collecting study permit and residential address information, which is something you should keep in your students' files anyway, is a hardship and will take up a huge portion of your workday? Suck it up and do it anyway or your students aren't getting paid.

My family doctor screwed me over again in relation to my pain meds. I have asked him several times to write me a refill for my patches and he kept telling me that I had a month left. I went to see him last week before his vacation to get all my prescriptions refilled and he refilled my other pain meds, but once again he didn't believe me that I needed more patches. At this point, I had even run out of patches and he told me to look in my house again. I did again and I still couldn't find them so I called the pharmacist and I used my last refill in a May.

So here I am with no patches, he's on vacation and most doctors won't write pain med prescriptions for people who aren't their patients for chronic pain. My AS is going untreated for a month while I wait for test results so pain meds are all I have right now. In the week that I've had no biologic in my system, my pain has increased by a scary amount. I even fell at a store today because my SI just gave out.

I would love to fire this guy, but he he doesn't treat me like a criminal for needing pain meds. So I'm stuck with him.

Dave

Staff member
So glad we made it to Colorado Springs this last month to visit my wife's mom in the hospital. She died this morning.

Dave

Staff member
Glad you and your wife got to see her.
Me, too. Her dad told us not to come out but we said fuck it and went anyway. It was another long trip at the end of a REALLY long trip, but I'm very, very glad I did it for my wife.

She was having trouble breathing this morning so they called 911. She collapsed before they got there and was gone before she hit the floor. They are going to have to do an autopsy and everything since she was alone at the time with my FIL. As it stands right now there's going to be no funeral and no memorial service. So we may or may not be going back to Colorado. Everything is very up in the air.

The pain patch issue has been resolved. The duty doctor listened when I explained that I tried to get a refill before my doctor went away and that my AS is going untreated pending biopsy results and wrote me a prescription. Not just for the week, but for three months!!

And I got a Thor sticker on the way out. That was my son's doing and not the duty doctor though.

I was in their office less than twenty minutes. I may need to see if she's taking new patients. She's awesome!

Nothing like waking up to these texts and direct quote:

...unrelated stuff about previous discussion about baking...
anymore than they want my angry "How fucking dare you grab my ass?!"
Because that happened.
Multiple times.
I had to come home and cry.
I wish you were closer.
Like a doofus I had my ringer off.