[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

B

BErt

Man, don't feel bad. My nephew is really into transformers, and I asked him at Thanksgiving what he wanted for Christmas, he said he didn't have a "Big Optimus Prime." My mom said later on that he was getting into the Lego Hero Factory figures, so I ordered him 3 of them from Amazon. 2 days later, the Asian Market Exclusive "Year of the Dragon" GIANT Optimus Prime goes on sale, so I cancel the Lego order and get the transformer. Today he opens my gift and looks at it for a second...then opens his next gift:

"Mom look, Hero Factory!"

:fu:

Man, don't feel bad. My nephew is really into transformers, and I asked him at Thanksgiving what he wanted for Christmas, he said he didn't have a "Big Optimus Prime." My mom said later on that he was getting into the Lego Hero Factory figures, so I ordered him 3 of them from Amazon. 2 days later, the Asian Market Exclusive "Year of the Dragon" GIANT Optimus Prime goes on sale, so I cancel the Lego order and get the transformer. Today he opens my gift and looks at it for a second...then opens his next gift:

"Mom look, Hero Factory!"

:fu:
Tell him I'll take the optimus prime

North_Ranger

Staff member
Heh, my sister got me The Wisdom of the Shire: A Short Guide to a Long and Happy Life - essentially a self-help guide on how to live better, like a hobbit, and absolutely trying to cash in on the Hobbit craze. Now, I love my sister but I've always hated every kind of self-help books, especially ones that just try to make a buck.

But I gotta give my sister the benefit of the doubt; I'm the resident nerd in my family, and my parents and siblings are nowhere near into the genre. It's likely she just heard I was excited about the Hobbit, and thought this might be right up my alley. And there was a box of chocolates and another book - a thick Viivi & Wagner comic book, yes! - in the package, so that evens things out nicely.

Still, I gotta question the wisdom of giving a cancer patient a guide promising a long and happy life... :p

Heh, my sister got me The Wisdom of the Shire: A Short Guide to a Long and Happy Life - essentially a self-help guide on how to live better, like a hobbit, and absolutely trying to cash in on the Hobbit craze. Now, I love my sister but I've always hated every kind of self-help books, especially ones that just try to make a buck.

But I gotta give my sister the benefit of the doubt; I'm the resident nerd in my family, and my parents and siblings are nowhere near into the genre. It's likely she just heard I was excited about the Hobbit, and thought this might be right up my alley. And there was a box of chocolates and another book - a thick Viivi & Wagner comic book, yes! - in the package, so that evens things out nicely.

Still, I gotta question the wisdom of giving a cancer patient a guide promising a long and happy life... :p
Clearly she's telling you to go on an adventure with dwarves.

So I woke up this morning to find this in my mailbox.
note.png

I can't fathom why we got this. The passive aggressiveness of it irks me more than anything I think. We aren't unreasonable people, we're young but not party animals or pricks. I premeptively sent an email to my landlord explaining the situation that reads as follows:
Hope you and your family had a great Christmas. Thank you again for the gift. It was definitely unexpected but appreciated greatly.

I just wanted to give you a heads up in case this escalates any further. I woke up this moring to an unaddressed, unsigned letter in the mail box, saying on several occasions there has been a high amount of noise coming from the house at late nights and early hours of the morning, and that if something isn't done about it, further action will be taken. This is the the first we've heard of anything regarding a noise issue.

We have no idea as to why this note was left, save for possibly the 24th, Tyler had a small chrsitmas eve party, which the music was turned off, and never overly loud, by 12 and everyone was gone by 1. Also on Christmas, Tyler made dinner for himself and 4 friends, but they were gone by 10:30. Other than these two occasions we rarely, if ever, have anyone over and are not overly loud people ourselves. I get home late after working at the theatre until 1-3 am most nights and am usually the only one awake. I sit on the couch and play video games for an hour or two, with the volume low enough that I don't disturb those sleeping, and can barely hear it from where I sit.

Tyler has had one band pratice, over by 9pm, and will sometimes play his drums until about 10, though I can only recall this happening a handful of times. Generally he plays in the afternoon, before he works. Kaitlyn is so quiet, I have a hard time knowing if she is even home and Sarah typically has Uni early mornings, making her have to go to sleep early, and any excessive noise made by any of us later at night unacceptable. Sarah has been off school since the begining of December and in that time we've started playing pokemon cards when I get home from work for a bit, something just as quiet as any card game.

Needless to say we find the accusation unfounded, and a little rude, given that we have no way of contacting whomever left the note to explain and apologize for the possibly increased noise over the past few days, again, something that is in no way a common occurance. I don't believe the note is from the smaller blue house to the right as we've had civil conversations with the people living there and they have not once brought up a sound issue. We have noticed since the house two doors down was sold two months ago, to the left if facing ours, there has been music with heavy bass played later in the nights, sometimes until 3am and they did have a party on Christmas night as well. I fear that their noise may be getting attrubited to us.

Regardless, we will do what we can to try to curb any further excess noise on our parts, how we can do that though I'm not certain. Again, sorry to have to disturb you with this and I hope your holidays have gone well.
I don't expect much from it but it has kind of sullied my mood a little.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Far - At least you can take solace in being the bigger man in this issue. Those kind of notes are always a bother, especially because you can't tell who it's from and talk sensibly with them. Admittedly, I myself wrote such a note once to a roommate :oops: She rarely bothered washing her dishes, even if that meant there were no clean glasses and plates in the cupboard.

So I woke up this morning to find this in my mailbox.
View attachment 9443
I can't fathom why we got this. The passive aggressiveness of it irks me more than anything I think. We aren't unreasonable people, we're young but not party animals or pricks. I premeptively sent an email to my landlord explaining the situation that reads as follows:

I don't expect much from it but it has kind of sullied my mood a little.
Blegh. If this is the first you've heard of it, and it's unsigned, that's really just passive aggressiveness and being bad neighbours. I mean, going over to ask your neighbours to keep it down, sure. If they're really annoyingly loud or unwilling to change or whatever, I can see calling a landlord/police/leaving notices like that, but as a first warning, a first time sending a message? Again: blegh. If they don't even specify what or where or when they were bothered...Well, you can't very well divine it. Screw'm. Hang a notice outside informing everyone that you'll gladly give people with grievances a cup of coffee to talk about it if they'll come in.

Blegh. If this is the first you've heard of it, and it's unsigned, that's really just passive aggressiveness and being bad neighbours. I mean, going over to ask your neighbours to keep it down, sure. If they're really annoyingly loud or unwilling to change or whatever, I can see calling a landlord/police/leaving notices like that, but as a first warning, a first time sending a message? Again: blegh. If they don't even specify what or where or when they were bothered...Well, you can't very well divine it. Screw'm. Hang a notice outside informing everyone that you'll gladly give people with grievances a cup of coffee to talk about it if they'll come in.
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about it, I just didn't want anything happening and it getting back to my landlords as if I tried to hide it. We weren't doing anything wrong so I wouldn't have any reason to anyway. We have a good relationship with them, they brought over christmas presents for us, something I've never had done by a landlord, and I didn't want that sullied.

I got a response back from my landlord and they basically said "lol fuck that shit" so we're good.

You could always leave some unsigned notes in the nearby mailboxes:

HELLO YOU HAVE BEEN LEAVING UNSIGNED NOTES IN MAILBOXES THIS MUST STOP OR FURTHER ACTION WILL BE TAKEN SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED

--Patrick

Now I have had some okay light beer in my days...but my satan Amstel light is the most flavorless thing I've ever DRANK! Its like they just took the soul out of it! And considering light-beer all-ready doesn't have that much soul to begin with, that means they took it out TWICE!

Hypothesis: the likelihood that my mother in law will complain about a restaurant meal is inversely proportional to the probability that I am paying for the meal.

Hypothesis: the likelihood that my mother in law will complain about a restaurant meal is inversely proportional to the probability that I am paying for the meal.
The more she complains about it, the less likely you paid for it? I would think it would be the opposite.

Well she subscribes to a philosophy that if she's paying for the meal she gets to abuse the staff. And I subscribe to the philosophy of shut up and eat what you are given.

Why hasn't that thing that I like been translated and distributed for American commerce?! You know, that thing that has been around for years that STILL hasn't been brought over here even though it has a fan-base! Just frickin' ridiculous.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Why hasn't that thing that I like been translated and distributed for American commerce?! You know, that thing that has been around for years that STILL hasn't been brought over here even though it has a fan-base! Just frickin' ridiculous.
Now you know how I feel about the national TV channels over here and Doctor Who. Frickin' TV assholes don't know good TV if it bit them in the keister...

Telling an Atheist "you should try accepting God into your heart" is no different from telling a gay person "you should try not being gay."

Dave

Staff member
It's still amazing that the "right" religion and "true" message of God is very determined on where you were born and who your parents were.

I disbelieve intelligent design for one reason: Human male genitalia. No super intelligent being would ever design such a ridiculous thing! The fore-skin, the incredibly weak testicles on the OUTSIDE of the body, and its just silly design in general. The only way I could see a creature would have this would be if they naturally evolved with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I disbelieve intelligent design for one reason: Human male genitalia. No super intelligent being would ever design such a ridiculous thing! The fore-skin, the incredibly weak testicles on the OUTSIDE of the body, and its just silly design in general. The only way I could see a creature would have this would be if they naturally evolved with it.
You do realize you just countermanded your own argument, as evolution favors smart things over dumb, right?