Export thread

Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Limit: 500

Gusto

Gusto

The trilogy!

Post your woes and and begrudge your foes!

GasBandit

GasBandit

To continue before we were so rudely interrupted...

You know what? Now I'm pissed. Fuck your links. They don't prove discrimination, they prove 11-12% of voters are too lazy or incompetent to get their shit together when the slightest inconvenience is involved. Frankly, if you ask me, it's too easy to vote. The stupid, the lazy, the incompetent - they all have overwhelming numbers and they each have the same voice in government as the others. This is the tyranny of the imbecilic. If it's too much of a hassle for someone to get their goddamned driver's license or equivalent valid picture ID, then they don't need to be voting. They need to be getting their shit together. Fuck. If I had my way, you would have to present a god damned Purple Heart or higher commendation to vote. There are too many shit-head no-brained worthless detritus pulling levers every November.

And if what I just said offends you, go gargle some colon and set yourself on fire.

Adam

Adammon

Gargle some colon, eh? That's a new one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Holy crap Gas... I'm honestly amazed that THIS was the issue that would make you rage.

Now I feel bad for even mentioning it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's a recent failbook post with someone saying that someone else's colon smells. After a few "well, yeah..." posts, they realize they misspelled cologne. I suspect it may become somewhat of a minor meme, similar to "I accidentally a whole x"
No, I did not mean cologne. I literally meant to jangle bits of distended intestinal-rectal interface in the throat.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

These get locked at 100? Man, time to get my shit together and get that WCAJ locked.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Holy crap Gas... I'm honestly amazed that THIS was the issue that would make you rage.

Now I feel bad for even mentioning it.
Everybody has a button. But you know what? Now I feel 20% more alive. So don't feel bad.

makare

I liked it just because Goofy Gas is hilarious.

Gusto

Gusto

These get locked at 100? Man, time to get my shit together and get that WCAJ locked.
Not as a rule but I felt like keeping a sequeled thread locked at 2 for all time to be kinda ridiculous, and figured 100 was as good a place as any.

But by all means, we can force a Webcomics Appreciate Hoedown or something.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's generally a good idea to lock them after that many... I know the image threads at RPGNET would crash the forums once they got much larger than that.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I should get around to appreciating comics that I haven't appreciated before.

For instance, I've neglected Next Town Over for too long.

Gared

Gared

Nope, seriously doesn't offend me man. But to answer your question in the last post from the old thread - no, there are some people who can't get a half day off every six years. There are some people in this country who are working 2 or 3 jobs at a time trying to make ends meet and can't get any time away during the hours of operation of a DOL (or DMV depending on your state) office. But seriously - this is really not a hot button issue for me, and I will not be gargling anyone's colon over this. Do I think the system could work better? Yes I do. Do I think that this is necessarily discrimination? No I don't. At least we don't require someone to show their selective service ID in order to vote anymore - I vaguely remember having to show mine the first time I voted.

drifter

drifter

Allen, do you read Three Word Phrase? Seems like it might be your cup of steeped foliage.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I do now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

As long as I'm snarling, I'll snarl about something specific as well.

This morning it was brought to my attention that one of the DJs had cut a spot that included a web URL in it, which was airing about every other hour. The copy for the spot listed the address as something akin to 'libraries dot u-t-e-p dot e-d-u' (though that wasn't the actual address).

Any reasonable, thinking human being in this building identified that this was written that way to indicate that you say "libraries" but spell out "utep.edu," as opposed to saying "libraries dot youtep dot edjyou."

But what this bimbo said on the spot, which then subsequently aired over and over until I yanked it down, was "libraries dot U dash T dash E dash P dot E dash D dash U."

At first I just laughed my ass off about it , and the engineer and traffic directer laugh about it too. So I kill the spot and take it off the air... and when she comes in, I chuckle and let her know.

AND THE STUPID COW GETS INDIGNANT. She starts off defensive then moves straight through it to obstreperous. Repeating "That's how it was written on the script, how was I supposed to know?!" Uhhh, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO KNOW BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT BRAIN DEAD, despite evidence to the contrary. You are supposed to know because you've been working in radio, in THIS town, where THAT institution of higher learning is... for at LEAST 10 years, maybe more. Maybe if you banged a couple brain cells together once in a while instead of banging men who HIT you, you'd have the functional ability of a learning-impaired chimp! I know it's hard for you to function because you're a 40+ year old mental preteen with enough emotional issues and breakdowns to power your own reality show NETWORK, who only ever got by on her now-quickly-fading looks and a ridiculous boob job, but all those years of fast living and partying has left you looking like beef-jerky-wrapped silicon now and so people are going to start needing you to be less stupid than a housepet if you want us to put up with your timeworn, leatherskinned, put-out-to-pasture ass. Shit!

All you had to do is chuckle back, or even say "oh, sorry! I'll fix it!" But nooo... you had to get defensive and act like you're being unfairly persecuted or some shit. God, I can't believe anybody tolerates you. I would wish some horrible fate upon you, but I can't think of any future worse than the one you've already made for yourself. Could not have happened to a more deserving forced-into-retirement cumdumpster.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Maybe if you banged a couple brain cells together once in a while instead of banging men who HIT you, you'd have the functional ability of a learning-impaired chimp! I know it's hard for you to function because you're a 40+ year old mental preteen with enough emotional issues and breakdowns to power your own reality show NETWORK, who only ever got by on her now-quickly-fading looks and a ridiculous boob job, but all those years of fast living and partying has left you looking like beef-jerky-wrapped silicon now and so people are going to start needing you to be less stupid than a housepet if you want us to put up with your timeworn, leatherskinned, put-out-to-pasture ass.
This had me laughing out loud, seriously. Thanks. Reminds me of a woman that used to work next door to a place I ran.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This had me laughing out loud, seriously. Thanks. Reminds me of a woman that used to work next door to a place I ran.
Credit where it's due, somebody else at work first called her "a slim jim with a boob job" when she started working here, so my beef jerky stab might be a bit derivative.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Credit where it's due, somebody else at work first called her "a slim jim with a boob job" when she started working here, so my beef jerky stab might be a bit derivative.
I used to work with a woman that was on the path to becoming this creature, I gave her a nickname of Boobsie McKraken. She was so freakin' over the top about pushing her boobs at men that it was almost comical.

fade

fade

This thread has honestly crossed from good-natured political debate to McVeigh-Con 4.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Fuck dubstep.
Added at: 02:08
Like, seriously.
I fucking hate it.
Except if I'm tripping at a music festival.

Biannoshufu

your sig MAKES that post awesome.

Krisken

Krisken

My just bought MP3 player decided it doesn't want to work properly so now I have to dig around for the damn purchase receipt. Oh, and I got sick and it is raining outside. Nuts.

Null

Null

An indignant parent called the college library last night demanding to know what it meant that her son's midterm grade in a course was an "F". I said, "That usually means he's in danger of failing the course" - since a midterm is an early warning. "What?! Why hasn't his professor been in touch with him before this?" "I don't know." "Well, who can I talk to about fixing this?" I was real close to saying, "Did you try talking to your son, telling him to put in more effort?" I didn't, but I gave her the number for academics, so it's their problem now.

makare

This semester needs to end. I am about to lose it. These have been some of the most stressful months I have ever lived through. I actually preferred last semester when my body was falling apart.

I have an almost overwhelming desire to smash my laptop against the wall until it breaks and burn all my school books. :( Sigh.

Espy

Espy

My just bought MP3 player decided it doesn't want to work properly so now I have to dig around for the damn purchase receipt. Oh, and I got sick and it is raining outside. Nuts.
Here you go man:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Anyone who likes iceberg lettuce should be slapped. ROMAINE 4 LIFE

fade

fade

Anyone who likes iceberg lettuce should be slapped. ROMAINE 4 LIFE
https://www.halforums.com/threads/coffee.26620/page-3#post-880592

fade

fade

Nature has decided that at 35, I've had enough time with hair.

Null

Null

That sucks. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my awesome hair.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least you get you lose yours gradually. Not in a 2 week period.

-that is some freaky shit too...

makare

*pets the hairy badger*
... that is not a euphemism.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

That's one area I really thank God for my Mexican genes. My grandpa was in his mid-seventies and still had most of his hair before he died. I can only hope for the same.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm turning 35 in a week. You can live vicariously through my hair if you want. I'll tell stories about combing it and running my fingers through it if it helps.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Remember the dash e dash d dash u lady from before?

Today her facebook got fished. Though I suppose it could happen to any non-techie. Just had to spend 45 minutes fixing that studio's PC.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not fair, I have a sunroof and I can no longer feel the wind whipping through my hair. But wearing a tuque is a close second.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Apparently you have to join Google+ now to recommend a post or blog.

Bullshit.

makare

I played to quite a dour house tonight and by played I mean I performed my closing argument in front of my class. Unfortunately the first part of class involved all of us making asses out of ourselves doing something we didn't know how to do and so everyone was pretty glum during the closings. I was like sheesh.. react people even if it is a scowl I dont care. i need something!

I have to say that I rock at opening and closing statements but my direct examination capabilities are very lacking. I can cross examine just fine but I lose focus during direct. Sigh. I am not looking forward to my final which is a complete trial. Voir dire to closing argument to jury deliberation to verdict(unless the jury involves an asshole like last year. I was on a jury for a friend and a classmate's dad was on our jury and he was a fuckhead. Even the prof mentions it still he had to come and break us up because my friends on the jury and I were about to kick his ass. So no verdict)
Stress city basically.

fade

fade

If TV has taught me anything, you're an incompetent defense attorney if you can't make one of the witnesses against your client confess to the crime on the stand.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was recently watching South Park and remembered that I had been watching this show since I was 12 years old. This spurred two thoughts in my head.

1.) Wow, South Park has been on the air for 14 years. That's an impressive run for a show on a cable channel.

2.) Wow... I was still in school that long ago. I should NOT be feeling old at 26.

Shannow

Shannow

Not really minor, but wanted to rant something...corporate restructure hit, so after 5 and a half years of busting my ass, moving up, creating anew department from scratch...Time Warner has decided to consolidate all the effrts up here and myself, my team, my director and another team and manger have been told we are no longer employees as of January 10th. 60 days left. Fucking Christ.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Geez, sorry to hear that man.

Krisken

Krisken

Sorry to hear it, Shannow. I've been in that situation myself.

Espy

Espy

Damn Shannow. Sorry to hear that.

Shannow

Shannow

I am getting hammered tonight.

Krisken

Krisken

You better run.

Shannow

Shannow

Yeah, that looks about right for my mind set for the evening.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Absinth,Shannow.Absinth.

Gared

Gared

Sorry to hear it Shannow.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Am I the only one who thinks the sub-title to this thread should be "For a few hollers more"?

Gusto

Gusto

Am I the only one who thinks the sub-title to this thread should be "For a few hollers more"?
Consider it done. I didn't know what to subtitle the thread and decided to play off a famous sequel.

My first thought was "The Legend of Dave's Gold" but figured that didn't seem ranty enough.

Gared

Gared

The fifth minor rant thread should be subtitled "Fist full of rants."

TNM

TNM

So I am upgrading the wireless network at my university. The majority of the new access points are paid for by student money that the student body voted on. Recently one was knocked down from the ceiling by a couple of punks with as basketball on purpose. This access point wasn't up for more than a week and it is about as obtrusive as you can get on a 20ft ceiling. Really kids? I mean come on WTF! Not only did they ruin the tile and ceiling grid but there goes ~$600 of THEIR money and seriously decreases their connectivity in a certain area.

This is why we can't have anything nice. Grrrr.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It ain't their money, it's their parent's money.

phil

phil

This makes me think I should specifically Holla at bitches in this thread. Or rant about my failed hollains.

TNM

TNM

Ain't that the truth. I see freshmen driving around in new $40k+ vehicles. Must be nice.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Absinth,Shannow.Absinth.
Are you trying to kill the boy?

Shakey

Shakey

The guinea fowl I'm raising in my basement are starting to learn how to make the horribly annoying sound they make as adults. I'm also not sure how I'm going to get them out of my basement when they're big enough.

fade

fade

I'm getting a little disturbed by the increasingly graphic nature of mainstream comics. I don't care if that makes me sound like an old man. I don't mind graphic comics when its under an imprint designed for it, but in the main story line? I can't let my kid read the comics I used to like because we've got things like the dead Flash running around despite being decapitated in Brightest Day

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You probably don't want him reading the latest run of Catwoman either....

Null

Null

Ain't that the truth. I see freshmen driving around in new $40k+ vehicles. Must be nice.
Too fucking right. Last year a student was signing up for his parking permit, and the vehicle he was registering was a Shelby GT500 Mustang. Fucking 19 year old kid. Two months later he came in to register a new vehicle - a Kia Sportage. I asked him what happened to the Mustang. "Oh, I nailed a tree in it." Like it was no big deal.

phil

phil

I can't tell if I like Donald Glover's album or not and it's kinda bugging me, guys.

Null

Null

I can't tell if I like Donald Glover's album or not and it's kinda bugging me, guys.
Well, Fade doesn't like it, though I don't know if that'll change your opinion any.

phil

phil

Well, Fade doesn't like it, though I don't know if that'll change your opinion any.
It's a step in the right direction.

Shannow

Shannow

This hangover is awesome. Going to be a fun day in the office.

Shakey

Shakey

stienman said:
Use your stomach.
My basement already looks like something out of a horror movie. I don't know if I need chicken heads and blood everywhere.

phil

phil

So I talked to my friend at dunkin yesterday and he tells me that the paychecks came in a car early because of veteran's day. Cool! I can go pick up my last check without having to talk to my old manager, right?

Wrong!

"somehow" I don't have one. Isn't that the darndest thing? The company that had been screwing me on wages for so long, and asked me once to help screw someone else out of wages mysteriously doesn't have my last paycheck.

Fuck everything about that place.

SeraRelm

Friend's mother died the other week, our good manager was transferred to another location and the new one is... a bit slow, lungs are all effed up and I sound more like *points at avatar* every day, one of our cats looks like a zombie because of a skin condition so all his fur is coming out, new neighbors are "musicians" but they play about 4 chords total and sing horrible covers of Green Day, I have no vodka, new stalker has shown up at work so I may need to see about getting him banned if he gets worse, getting less hours at work as well, so money is tighter than I'd like, almost broke my arm somehow the other night in bed (not gonna get into that, but it still hurts), tub/sink keeps getting backed up due to crappy plumbing so we may need to get a plumber in here if it gets worse.

Ok, I think that's all I have for now.

LittleSin

LittleSin

What has gotten into this child this evening?!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Youth.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Sugar?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm going to say, Turkish Delight.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I took him to a reptile exhibit this earlier today and I'm not entirely sure I left him there and have taken home a lizard wearing his skin.

This has been a rough evening!

Tress

Tress

I took him to a reptile exhibit this earlier today and I'm not entirely sure I left him there and have taken home a lizard wearing his skin.

This has been a rough evening!
Offer him a cricket. If he eats it, you have made a terrible mistake.

Or your kid is weird. Either way.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Offer him a cricket. If he eats it, you have made a terrible mistake.

Or your kid is weird. Either way.
Ignore Tress. Crickets are delicious, especially if cooked alongside a meat dish. Their kind of like the Tofu of the insect kingdom.

Null

Null

Ignore Tress. Crickets are delicious, especially if cooked alongside a meat dish. Their kind of like the Tofu of the insect kingdom.
Except tofu is *not* delicious. It is arguably edible.

makare

I like tofu in miso soup

figmentPez

figmentPez

Personally I think silken tofu mixed with melted dark chocolate, honey and vanilla makes a really rich and tasty pudding. Of course, I like the taste of soy (developed when I was younger and my mom was a health food nut.)

Null

Null

Personally I think silken tofu mixed with melted dark chocolate, honey and vanilla makes a really rich and tasty pudding. Of course, I like the taste of soy (developed when I was younger and my mom was a health food nut.)
You know what else is delicious? melted dark chocolate, honey, and vanilla without soybean curd.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Sooooo..... tofu is the new steak? *trollface.jpg*

figmentPez

figmentPez

You know what else is delicious? melted dark chocolate, honey, and vanilla without soybean curd.
Don't be lazy with your mocking. Texture matters. At least toss some heavy cream in that recipe to make it into a mousse or a ganache. (Note, Firefox does not know how to spell ganache.) Whipped silken tofu has a wonderful texture. I can understand not liking the peculiar tang that soy has, or not liking the slightly rubbery texture of firm tofu, but silken tofu has an amazing mouth feel.

makare

oh the filthy comments i could make as a comment to that post.. but i am going to refrain.

for dignity's sake.

phil

phil

I sold my dignity long ago for a kit kat.

Know what else has an amazing mouth feel?

my penis

Know what else can add a heavy whipping cream to your recipe?

my penis

Know what else most people don't like when it's rubbery and firm?

I think you get where this is going by now

makare

huh oddly enough my potential comments all centered around

phil's penis

phil

phil

Know what else centers around my penis?

All of your mothers.

wana10

line6 you worthless piece of shit. hire some code people and fix your broken, buggy, useless software.

makare

line6 you worthless piece of shit. hire some code people and fix your broken, buggy, useless software.
no

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Need to do some work this morning, so I have to get Skyrim out of my head. To do this, I put on another game's piano collection version of the soundtrack.

...so now I don't feel like doing anything, but if I could hug a sad piano, I would. Poor pianos.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, my throat is still killing me, to the point where I'm numbing it with Chloraseptic spray every 2 hours and it still hurts to swallow. I've gargled salt water, drank honey and lemon water, and generally avoided anything which my aggravate it (I miss toast). On top of that, I've had 4 hours of sleep and it's my birthday.

Maybe the regular rant thread is starting to be appropriate.

Null

Null

A student called in yesterday complaining that she couldn't copy / paste from a PDF document into her word document. When I explained that, as far as I knew, pdfs couldn't be copy/pasted from at all, she says, "Well, then what am I supposed to do for my essay?" "How do you mean?" "Well, I have to do the citation." "Yes?" "Well, I can't just type it in, that's ridiculous. That's too much work."

Holy shit. This is the current generation of college students. Just citing a source is too much goddamn work.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Ugh. Also, some PDFs CAN be copied/pasted from, others cannot (if they are scanned images, basically). Still, ugh.

Biannoshufu

Well, my throat is still killing me, to the point where I'm numbing it with Chloraseptic spray every 2 hours and it still hurts to swallow. I've gargled salt water, drank honey and lemon water, and generally avoided anything which my aggravate it (I miss toast). On top of that, I've had 4 hours of sleep and it's my birthday.

Aww, happy birthday. Is it lupus?

Emrys

Emrys

I broke my voice yelling at a building full of drunk, obnoxious military members Friday. And I've got a mild case of pneumonia.

I'm so fucking happy.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A student called in yesterday complaining that she couldn't copy / paste from a PDF document into her word document. When I explained that, as far as I knew, pdfs couldn't be copy/pasted from at all, she says, "Well, then what am I supposed to do for my essay?" "How do you mean?" "Well, I have to do the citation." "Yes?" "Well, I can't just type it in, that's ridiculous. That's too much work."

Holy shit. This is the current generation of college students. Just citing a source is too much goddamn work.
Quote her in front of the entire class. Then fail her.

Actually grading her paper is too much work.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Kriskens: They don't get a birthday.

Really, tho, that is a drag. :\ Feel better soon! Have you tried buckwheat honey? I find it works better for a sore throat than clover. Also, rooibos tea.

Krisken

Krisken

Happy birthday! I figured a little cold would get you the day off from whatever you would have had to do otherwise.

You're welcome.
Hah, thanks stienman, I knew I could count on you. Sadly, being an independent contractor for a newspaper (read, delivering papers) you get no time off for good behavior or being sick.

Aww, happy birthday. Is it lupus?
Surprisingly, no, though I hate to self diagnose. Since I have no insurance I will have to wait till Tuesday for the free clinic to be open to find out if it is strep or not.

Kriskens: They don't get a birthday.

Really, tho, that is a drag. :\ Feel better soon! Have you tried buckwheat honey? I find it works better for a sore throat than clover. Also, rooibos tea.
No, I hadn't thought of using buckwheat or rooibos tea. I'll have to see if we have either of those lying around the house or give them a try tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. I had very little sleep when I wrote that and I was having a Krisken self-pity party at the time. You've definitely cheered me up!

Biannoshufu

Don't pity yourself! That's what we're here for.

wait, that came out wrong.

makare

my poor little olive.

Adam

Adammon

I am in a spectacularly poor mood today. Considering the entire long weekend was spent playing Skyrim/Battlefield 3/Star Trek Online, I should feel better but instead I feel mighty churlish. Waiting for someone in the office to give me a reason to vent.

Null

Null

I am in a spectacularly poor mood today. Considering the entire long weekend was spent playing Skyrim/Battlefield 3/Star Trek Online, I should feel better but instead I feel mighty churlish. Waiting for someone in the office to give me a reason to vent.
With a vorpal bat'leth?

TommiR

TommiR

The Sliding Scale of Selflessness

European taxpayers. Give what is asked out of their own, plus a little extra.

Santa Claus. Gives what is asked out of his own.

European leaders. Are willing to forgive debts.

Private Banks. Grumble, but are willing to forgive some debts.

Average two-year-old. Takes whatever he can get, throws tantrums.

Greece. Gets everything, would take more, throws tantrums.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Fuck this fucking country and its bullshit weather.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Ouch

341120_10150394934940956_723740955_8238959_1661197083_o (1).jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

What did I tell you about setting your toes on fire? What did I tell you??!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

But mister toasty told me you would all love me if I did :(

Null

Null

Okay, so I've pointed out the idiocy of our students before, but the faculty aren't blameless. We're doing student opinion reports this week, and Academics handles the packets for classes that start prior to 5, the library (where I am) hands out of the ones that start after 5, since Academics is closed. This is on the letter that announces the student opinion reports, and on all the flyers in the hallways. One of the mathematics professors has a 4:00-5:50pm class, and a 6:00-7:50pm class, both in the same room. At 5:30, he sent a student to get the packet from us, for his 4-5:50 class. I told the student we didn't have it, we only have the one for the 6:00 class, which she wouldn't accept, until I finally said, "Well, it may not be the one you want, but it's the only one we've got." He called me and had a fucking bitch fit over it. So I said, "Well, did the class start before 5?" And he goes, "Yeah, so?" "So Academics has your forms, they do all the classes that start before 5." "Well what am I supposed to do?" "Well, you can either send a student to Academics, though they might be closed now, or do it at the start of class on Thursday." (It's a Tuesday/Thursday class). "But I wanted to get it done tonight." "Okay." "Fine!" and he slams the phone, but misses the receiver, so I hear it smack into the desk before he hangs up.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Which one of you tater-tot-tallywhackers has hidden my sliderule!

Hylian

Hylian

Ugh what a crappy day at work today. It seemed like everything that could go wrong managed to go wrong. Every little task that should have been quick and easy ended up taking forever. I only managed to finish 3 of the 5 tasks I had planned to finish today. Now I have even more work to get done tomorrow and tomorrow was already shaping up to be a busy day without today's leftover work.

Krisken

Krisken

That sore throat is in actuality an ear infection. yay! On the bright side, the antibiotic was $4 at Walmart.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Conversation with coworker:

Me: I'm a vegetarian.
Him: Do you eat fish?
Me: *blank stare*. Um...no.
Him: Well, it's just that I don't really consider a fish an animal.
Me: *blanker stare, couples with complete inability to even respond to such a statement*

So yeah...that just happened.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

That's racist.

fade

fade

Maybe they're Catholic.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

As we all know, catholics distinguish between animals, minerals, plantlife and fish.

fade

fade

Only during Lent.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

It's not that fish aren't animals; I believe the no-meat-on-Fridays stems from the idea that meat (beef, pork, etc) was a luxury, so it was/is a way of abstaining or fasting and having something simpler.

LittleSin

LittleSin

My Aunt is Vegetarian but she still eats fish. Actually...most vegetarians I know are like that.

If they go beyond that I call them vegans.

Adam

Adammon

Steve Jobs was a pescetarian too. (Fish eating vegetablarian)

fade

fade

See this is one of those cases where I need a "I know, I know, I don't really believe X, I'm just making a joke" smileys, apparently.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Goddamnit! I just received a behavior plan from the school therapist... and it's bullshit. I mean, bullshit. It gives us all the damn work and puts nothing on him. It's going to condition him to only behave in very specific situations. He's so literal that he's going to find loopholes in it and feign ignorance when he steps over the line. I know how to handle that behavior, but this plan just sets that up for him. Jesus, this is a terrible idea, and I WARNED her. She didn't observe enough before writing this up. Just you wait... this will be a lot of work (by ME, not him) all for freaking nothing. Goddamnit.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I feel like I'm slowly getting worn down, mentally. Between stupid shit at work, stupid internet arguments, and even stupider work hours, I haven't had much time to just do things that are fun. To make matters worse, it contributes to me being set off at the most minor of things my son does at home, which I instantly feel terrible about.

Sometimes I just feel the need to vent, and need cheering up. I want to be the rock for everyone else, but damn it, sometimes I need to be entertained and comforted too!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Goddamnit! I just received a behavior plan from the school therapist... and it's bullshit. I mean, bullshit. It gives us all the damn work and puts nothing on him. It's going to condition him to only behave in very specific situations. He's so literal that he's going to find loopholes in it and feign ignorance when he steps over the line. I know how to handle that behavior, but this plan just sets that up for him. Jesus, this is a terrible idea, and I WARNED her. She didn't observe enough before writing this up. Just you wait... this will be a lot of work (by ME, not him) all for freaking nothing. Goddamnit.
Show that you don't respect him by pronouncing "therapist" as "the rapist" whenever you talk to or about him :zoid:

fade

fade

So I've been promoted to Chief Developer/Product Manager of one of the core in-house codes we use at work. I am coming from a user position to the dev position. This code is hated amongst the users. When it works, it works well, but you have to babysit everything. All us users have our own versions of the code, because we've had to fix or change something. I personally don't think the science behind the code is the best either. It's a mess of F77, F90, F95, F2003, Python, and C. Why? That seems so overly complicated. The Fortran 2003 stuff seems to serve no purpose other than to make the code uncompilable with gfortran.

So, since the guy I'm replacing went to a competitor, he was kicked out of the building when he quit (to his great surprise). I've been named the new guy, but ... they really haven't told me what to do. They brought back in the old guy for a one-day sit down, but I really don't know what to ask at this point. I saw his timeline for completion, and it is odd. He had 45 days slated for something that I think could be done in 2 at most, and I showed him how on the whiteboard. They want to spend forever parallelizing, which, let's be honest, ain't that hard for a sequential process like this one.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I feel like I'm slowly getting worn down, mentally. Between stupid shit at work, stupid internet arguments, and even stupider work hours, I haven't had much time to just do things that are fun. To make matters worse, it contributes to me being set off at the most minor of things my son does at home, which I instantly feel terrible about.

Sometimes I just feel the need to vent, and need cheering up. I want to be the rock for everyone else, but damn it, sometimes I need to be entertained and comforted too!
You can cut out that middle problem very easily.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've got the bluuuuuuuuues. *strums a sad song*

makare

Ok so I was stopped behind this jackass at a red light then the light turns green and while every person, and a portion of the canine population, know that is when you are supposed to go this guy apparently didn't. He just sat there. I was like wtf GOO. So finally he does and he speeds way up so he makes it through the next light before it turns red, but all the rest of us who had to wait for this guy at the green light get stuck at the red light.

There is no traffic light justice.

Ok second rant-

I went to the grocery store to see if they sell turkey necks separate from whole turkeys and they don't :( A store in my home town does and it is awesome. I am going to be alone for thanksgiving and I wanted to make myself some turkey. Even if I weren't by myself the only part of the turkey I really like is the neck so I wouldn't make a whole one.

Sigh.

Biannoshufu

I kinda set my kitchen on fire again. With a toaster.

Whoops

SeraRelm

... How?

makare

toaster's are teh debul

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's a "make grilled cheese in your toaster" fad sweeping the internet these days. I took one look at it and said, "that's a great way to start a fire."

Biannoshufu

making toast.

Null

Null

I either use a small skillet or a griddle to make grilled cheese. What do you all put on yours?

Biannoshufu

I either use a small skillet or a griddle to make grilled cheese. What do you all put on yours?
STEAK, MOTHERFUCKER, STEAK.

Null

Null

Mmm, steak and cheese. (Not a philly steak and cheese, but still tasty). Yeah, I like doing that when I've got some leftover strips of london broil.

makare

what the I am at a loss here. For my trial tech final we are having an actual mock trial. Our opposing counsel told us they are not calling one of their two major witnesses. wtf why would they do that? what kind of strategy is that?! Part of me is thinking these two are idiots but the other part of me knows they are not and I have to wonder am I being an idiot? what IS there strategy?

gah!

Null

Null

It could be that in reviewing statements, they found inconsistencies in the witness' story; having that on the stand and having it brought out during cross-examination could torpedo their case.

Well, that's what TV lawyer dramas say, anyway.

makare

All I know is when I was preparing defense, their side, the witness they are cutting out was the linchpin in my case. That is why I can't figure out what they are thinking.

makare

No she doesn't help me she helps them. In fact I am pretty damn happy that they aren't calling that witness.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

All I know is when I was preparing defense, their side, the witness they are cutting out was the linchpin in my case. That is why I can't figure out what they are thinking.
No she doesn't help me she helps them. In fact I am pretty damn happy that they aren't calling that witness.
I think Steinman was confused because a linchpin holds things together, so your first statement would be interpreted as this witness was holding your case together.

Null

Null

Yeah, but she meant "when I was preparing this case from the defense perspective - which is what they are doing now - the witness was the linchpin in the defense's case."

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clear also.

makare

Indeed that is what I meant. I am now Plaintiff side and I couldnt be happier they are cutting her out.

Adam

Adammon

Beginning to hate corporate speak.

What the hell is a "Strength-based Approach"? What kind of nonsense is that? Would you ever do a "weakness-based approach"? Or being "Needs-Driven"? Do MBAs just come up with nonsense terms to make themselves sound smart?

SeraRelm

Corporate-speak is double plus ungood.

Adam

Adammon

Corporate-speak is double plus ungood.
I wouldn't mind if this ditz didn't say "Strength-based approach" 10 times per topic. Why do smart people talk bad?

SeraRelm

I wouldn't mind if this ditz didn't say "Strength-based approach" 10 times per topic. Why do smart people talk bad?
Wut?

Adam

Adammon

Education:
BA in Kinesiology
Business Administration Diploma
MA in Human Kinetics

I'm assuming she's smart, but that doesn't mean she's "smart"...if that makes any sense.

SeraRelm

I see, you mean she's educated, but perhaps not that intelligent. The contradiction made me laugh though.

Adam

Adammon

I see, you mean she's educated, but perhaps not that intelligent. The contradiction made me laugh though.
I actually was using the bad grammar in the last sentence to imply I was smart. But I can see the bip bop bamboozle.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

Get postage slip in letterbox to pick up a registered letter after 4pm, housemate gave it to me at 5:30. Irritating, but I can deal. 15 minute wait in line to pick it up, annoying, but I can deal. 10 minutes to find the damn letter because somebody put it in the wrong box, starting to get frustrated.
Next day another slip, figure this one must be for my collectors edition of skyward sword, just in time for the weekend. Again 15 minutes while they look through everything, then "sorry, this has already been picked up yesterday"
So the item I picked up yesterday, had its please pick up from post office slip delivered into my mailbox...today??
that combined with no Zelda for the weekend = EVERYBODY TREAD ON EGGSHELLS OR I WILL SNAP GODAMMIT!!!!

Null

Null

Beginning to hate corporate speak.

What the hell is a "Strength-based Approach"? What kind of nonsense is that? Would you ever do a "weakness-based approach"? Or being "Needs-Driven"? Do MBAs just come up with nonsense terms to make themselves sound smart?
Yes, they do. "Optimalize" "Synergetical" "Leader-values" all made an appearance at the last "instead of giving you a raise we brought in a consultant at $500 / hr to tell you shit you already know in an incomprehensible manner" meeting.

Hylian

Hylian

This is going to probably sound like a rather pathetic minor rant but I feel like ranting anyways. Last night I was out doing some black Friday shopping and at one point this cute chick stopped me and mentioned how much she liked my hoodie. ( I had my Gurren Lagann hoodie on) We stopped and chatted for a couple of minutes and she seemed interested in me but being the awkward idiot I am I couldn't think of a way to ask for her number or email so I have no way of ever contacting her. As I said it is a rather pathetic rant but I am feeling rather pathetic right now.

Adam

Adammon

Hahah, shit Null, you're worse off than I am. I would BOO someone talking like that to me.

Tress

Tress

I couldn't think of a way to ask for her number or email so I have no way of ever contacting her.
For future reference, "Can I call you sometime?" works just fine. Sometimes being direct is the best way to go.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Education:
BA in Kinesiology
Business Administration Diploma
MA in Human Kinetics

I'm assuming she's smart, but that doesn't mean she's "smart"...if that makes any sense.
I was under the impression that Kinesiology was what jocks took before they became coaches at universities...

makare

and i thought it was economics... i are dumb

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

makare

this is what i was thinking so now i dont feel as dumb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keynesian_economics

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

No. That was dumb, and you should feel dumb. :p

(What? You're training to be a lawyer! I should be nice to you?)

I keed, I keed *hugs*

Krisken

Krisken

So basically she's an efficiency expert. Can you say 'layoffs'? I know I can.

makare

I need the hugs man. I am at the end of my law school rope. :aaah:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

No you're not. You still have your soul.

makare

but my mind.. it is gone. :(

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

That's okay... you don't need a mind to be a lawyer.

makare

aw snap.

that may be true but i do need a mind to put on my pants in the morning.

it is chilly here. I don't live in Georgia.

Adam

Adammon

I was under the impression that Kinesiology was what jocks took before they became coaches at universities...
Hilarious note: My wife has a degree in kinesiology because her intended career path at 18 was to touch hot hockey players.

makare

your wife is awesome. I approve of that.

Adam

Adammon

And, thanks to the miracle that is my mouth, I can get into instant arguments about education by saying things like "At least so-and-so didn't get a useless degree like Kinesiology".

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hilarious note: My wife has a degree in kinesiology because her intended career path at 18 was to touch hot hockey players.
She had a goal(ie) and she worked towards it. I commend her choice in life. *chuckles*

makare

Goddamn it is windy today. I feel like my whole place is going to tip over. I wish I didn't have to go outside today :(

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

???

makare

ahhhhh i am at work (call center) and i have had 2 people tonight i couldnt understand a word they said. it was so frustrating. grrrrraaang

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Where the heck was this thread just a few minutes ago when I went looking? *grumble* Rant three....

... at least I entertained myself with a necro out of the deal.

PotaDOS

The new e-reader I bought is defective, because it won't charge at all. Argh.

makare

The worst part of having a broken electronic is you cant smash it because you have to send it back. That is an injustice.

PotaDOS

Yeah! I wanted to throw it at something or vice versa, but I'm not sure that would be an acceptable excuse in the service desk representative's view.

"It wasn't charging, so I flung it against the sidewalk as hard as I possibly could. New one, please."

makare

I love my job but I hate taking breaks there. I don't have time to go anywhere else and every break room has fucking sports on ALL THE TIME.

It's so annoying. :(

Krisken

Krisken

::imagines fucking sports and Olympic competitions::

Piotyr

Piotyr

Annoying side effect to a holiday weekend: nobody tells me about an issue, so it balloons into something I now have to go into the office for tonight to salvage.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Couple of dudes got removed from the property this morning for robbery. Came back this afternoon this afternoon looking for their stuff.

Room was a crime scene. It's all evidence, right? Anyway, all their stuff was removed by the police during the arrest. I don't think you're ever getting it back

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Couple of dudes got removed from the property this morning for robbery. Came back this afternoon this afternoon looking for their stuff.

Room was a crime scene. It's all evidence, right? Anyway, all their stuff was removed by the police during the arrest. I don't think you're ever getting it back
I'm not going to lie... sometimes it's deeply satisfying when that happens: usually it's with vehicles that belong to dealers that wreck, and then the owner comes back to claim their car that "got stolen" about a half hour prior to the wreck. Yaright.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The "victim" in this case nearly got nicked himself. Hung around the property when the state trooper told him to go home. Now.

(He didn't get robbed on the property, if that's what anyone's thinking.)

phil

phil

Dear Prince,

FUCK YOU.

I get that piracy and bla bla bla royalties and bla bla bla and this is your art and bla bla bla. I do.

but almost every effin' video of yours on youtube has had the audio cut because of the stick up your ass. Or your lawyer's ass. I don't know who directly is responsible but for now I'm blaming you.

I still love purple rain and am kind of pissed at my roommate for deleting it off the DVR or pissed at the DVR for deleting it because it had been there too long or something.

What I'm trying to say is that we are frenemies.

Krisken

Krisken

Prince is a notorious dick when it comes to, well, most things.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Out left field, but I need to get this out.

All peoples of the world need to stop misusing the word HACK in regards to accounts and data devices. If you have an easy to guess user name and password, no one hacked your account, you handed them access to your account via being a dumbass.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He apparently has dozens of music videos he's shot, but refuses to put into circulation, as well as at least one movie and documentary. No one really knows what is going to happen with this stuff when he dies... considering how eccentric he is, he might just bury it with him.

GasBandit

GasBandit

All peoples of the world need to stop misusing the word HACK in regards to accounts and data devices. If you have an easy to guess user name and password, no one hacked your account, you handed them access to your account via being a dumbass.
Oh god, this. Hacking implies bypassing actual security measures. It's not "breaking and entering" if your front door is wide open and all the lights are on.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Um, it actually "IS" breaking and entering if you don't live there...

Just saying, bad analogy.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Oh god, this. Hacking implies bypassing actual security measures. It's not "breaking and entering" if your front door is wide open and all the lights are on.
Yes it is

Hijacking seems like a more appropriate term for when someone "hacks" someone else's account in something.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Um, it actually "IS" breaking and entering if you don't live there...

Just saying, bad analogy.
If that's true, it's utterly stupid. What'd I break? Nothing. It's just entering.

Fine, I'll use a different analogy.

It's like going out in your front yard naked and then claiming your neighbors are peeping toms.

Piotyr

Piotyr

This may sound geeky, but the usage of the word hack is akin to the usage of the word cyber. It's a word that people who have no clue about technology use to describe things they don't understand about technology.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I want nothing more then to draw. I haven't finshed the comic and I'm am frustrated...but I have real world things to do.

To many things on my plate! I am so god damn angry.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Shouldn't this have been a full blown RANT post then LilSin?

LittleSin

LittleSin

I feel a real rant should be something heart breaking or awful. My poor time management skills aren't wither...just unfortunate and frustrating.

Also, I get distracted easy. Here's what this weeks comic will be:

DSCF5428.JPG

Note my massive todo list.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I feel a real rant should be something heart breaking or awful. .
So... rants are art? :awesome:

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ha!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just noticed today that when I close my eyes, relax them, and then open them again, they aren't even in the same plane. I don't mean they unfocus, of course they do that... it's just I expected them to stay in the same horizontal plane after all these decades of muscle memory. It irritates me that my right eye , when looking at the door of the bathroom stall after quickly opening my eyes, hits the wall about a half inch higher than my left eye (and, now that I notice it, it works out to be about half a cm at monitor distance). I guess this means I can't ever relax, or I'll go all derpy.

drifter

drifter

I just noticed today that when I close my eyes, relax them, and then open them again, they aren't even in the same plane. I don't mean they unfocus, of course they do that... it's just I expected them to stay in the same horizontal plane after all these decades of muscle memory. It irritates me that my right eye , when looking at the door of the bathroom stall after quickly opening my eyes, hits the wall about a half inch higher than my left eye (and, now that I notice it, it works out to be about half a cm at monitor distance). I guess this means I can't ever relax, or I'll go all derpy.
Probably a good idea to go see an ophthalmologist just to be safe.

makare

aw gas you have always been derpy to me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I humbly submit that you must provide a video of this occurrence so we may confirm the veracity of your claims.
It's probably not enough to notice just from looking at my eyes. An inch at like 5 feet... my trigonometry is a little rough, but I think it's under 5 degrees difference, and in an eyeball sized sphere, that's not much.
Added at: 14:41
Probably a good idea to go see an ophthalmologist just to be safe.
I have a fair idea that's what got me into this mess in the first place - bent glasses to fit my misshapen face and uneven ears. Now I've been LASIK'd, so oh well.

Adam

Adammon

I have a fair idea that's what got me into this mess in the first place - bent glasses to fit my misshapen face and uneven ears. Now I've been LASIK'd, so oh well.
LASER BROTHERS!

makare

I have concluded that third year law students are the most apathetic people on the planet. We do not care about anything any more.

I think we are dead inside.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I have concluded that third year law students are the most apathetic people on the planet. We do not care about anything any more.

I think we are dead inside.
Then you are ready my child.

GO FORTH, AND PRACTICE LAW!

GasBandit

GasBandit

5 degrees would be noticable on a closeup, but you're right - 1 inch at 60 inches is under one degree, which would be difficult to see even very close.

However, most people probably have the same issue, but due to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccadic_masking and the speed of the human eye moevement you don't normally notice it.

It may just be that your eyes need more exercise to pick up speed so they're finished moving by the time the masking ends.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for alternate explanations...

[eye scream]
Well, to make this observation I had to actively suppress my eyes readjusting - something years and years of staring at "magic eye" posters has made me very good at doing, but even with me doing my damnedest to relax the eye muscles, they still snap back into the same horizontal plane within a quarter to half second. As long as my eyes are open it isn't a problem... it just bugs me than when I close my eyes, one goes a little above the other.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If you're even one minute behind on your SiriusXM bill, their legbreakers will call you EVERY FUCKING DAY.

If it weren't for the investment in the equipment (and the fact that local radio SUCKS), I'd cancel right here and now. I told the lady on the other end I'm tired of the harassment and I'm reporting them to the state AG. Then I blocked their number.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

5 degrees would be noticable on a closeup, but you're right - 1 inch at 60 inches is under one degree, which would be difficult to see even very close.

However, most people probably have the same issue, but due to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccadic_masking and the speed of the human eye moevement you don't normally notice it.

It may just be that your eyes need more exercise to pick up speed so they're finished moving by the time the masking ends.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for alternate explanations...

[eye scream]

makare

I feel like such a loser I have to borrow 30 dollars from my friend. I cant wait until I can work full time over christmas break. And next semester I will, hopefully, keep this job all the way through. Not having a job sucked so badly :(

makare

Oh my god... we have two days left of Debtor Creditor and no one understands bankruptcy.. the prof said he is going to review and here we are hearing about Afghanistan and the Moscow olympics! wtf?! *head desk head desk head desk* :aaah:

Gared

Gared

Slept wrong on my left shoulder Monday night and woke up yesterday in agony from compressing the shoulder joint into the collar bone somehow (my mattress is extremely firm, and cheaply made so this is no big surprise). At first it was just joint pain, which I could live with, but then my dumbass self went and worked out and didn't tell my trainer that my shoulder hurt until after doing bench, inclined, and military presses. It was fine throughout the workout, but about half way home once my muscles had a chance to cool down and tighten up, the pain started up again and I started getting some numbness in my hand. Yeah... have a slight impingement now. Note to self, when experiencing a structural shoulder injury - no matter how slight - tell the trainer before working out, not while working out.

Gared

Gared

Oh my god... we have two days left of Debtor Creditor and no one understands bankruptcy.. the prof said he is going to review and here we are hearing about Afghanistan and the Moscow olympics! wtf?! *head desk head desk head desk* :aaah:
Ugh, I hate profs like that. I had a comp sci instructor once who just absolutely sucked at teaching. We literally spent 3 weeks going over two-dimensional arrays in C, then had a midterm that had one question about arrays and covered a butt-load of information that she never got around to teaching us that wasn't in the damn book.

makare

my co-counsel is completely losing it. I don't blame her at all. I cannot wait for this to be over with. One more day.....

Dave

Dave

Con: My father-in-law wrecked his bicycle and broke his hip. He's in the hospital. Also, he's the primary and sole caregiver for my disabled mother-in-law who is currently home alone. My wife is flying out to Colorado Springs to take care of both of them.

Pro: For teh next X days (or weeks?) I will be a single dad, which means all the Skyrim I can stomach! Football! Crappy food!

Okay, so the pro side of this sucks ass. I mean, I pretty much do all of this anyway, but now I get to include being Dave the Human Taxi.

I just hope we get good news from the bank or it means I'll also be looking for a new place to live and packing by myself while the wife is away...

Null

Null

So, wait, you don't usually think taxi drivers are human?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dave, is the fact that many taxi drivers are immigrants the reason why you feel taxi drivers aren't human?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

no, no
THE HUMAN TAXI

He swallows people up and takes them to their destination for a fee

Null

Null

no, no
THE HUMAN TAXI

He swallows people up and takes them to their destination for a fee
Sounds like he has a voreacious appetite for work.

Espy

Espy

Not sure where to put this but I guess this works.

So I don't write much "personal" stuff in my music right? And if I do, I avoid anything that sounds like whining or anything that seems over-emotional or manipulative, instead I try and focus on the story being told, the characters, the emotions, etc. So must of my music is focused on other places that aren't my "deep dark angst" places. Make sense?

The band wanted to start working on an older song of mine tonight. It's a great song. Really. However, I wrote it a few years back and it's one of the few songs I wrote at what was possibly the second hardest time of my entire life. And apparently it's very... raw still. So singing it tonight really shook me up. Took me back to some feelings and memories I'd sooner forget and I don't like myself when I sit in that place thinking about that stuff.

It's a good song though and it's "real" I guess. So, I dunno. I just feel weird and crappy about it now.

Krisken

Krisken

Never getting the chipotle burger at the local pub again. So good but doesn't exactly lead to a productive evening.

Terrik

Terrik

Uhm, what about the burger is disruptive exactly?

Krisken

Krisken

What, you want bathroom details?

Terrik

Terrik

Ah. No, that won't be..required.

Lurker

Lurker

Did you wipe sitting or standing up?

Krisken

Krisken

Did you wipe sitting or standing up?
I don't wipe, I use the 3 clam shells.

Dave

Dave

I use the same clam shell three times.

You just have to watch out for the black pearls...

Krisken

Krisken

Dammit, Dave, don't ruin my joke!

Dave

Dave

I didn't. I just upped the bar a little.

makare

:|

Dave

Dave

Editorial comment?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

She doesn't know how to use the seashells

makare

I think Dave was ruining Krisken's joke. Dave Joke Ruiner.

Dave

Dave

I think I made it just as funny. Charlie Don't Surf and Makare Don't Know Funny.

Krisken

Krisken

Nope. Sometimes you eat the bar, and, well, sometimes the bar eats you. You got eat.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dave, I am watching a tf2 match. One of the teams is named Turbo Poop and it reminded me of you.

Krisken

Krisken

I must be really, really tired, cause that was fucking hilarious.

Null

Null

Extremely minor rant: One of my friends is currently really into 'Hollywood Undead'. She was singing 'Comin in Hot' while we were talking. Now it's stuck in my head.

Shakey

Shakey

I have to take a dump, but someone else already stunk up the bathroom. I really don't want to sit in someone else's stink while I make some of my own. So now I have to pinch it and hope it clears out soon.

Gusto

Gusto

I have to take a dump, but someone else already stunk up the bathroom. I really don't want to sit in someone else's stink while I make some of my own. So now I have to pinch it and hope it clears out soon.
Is this ego...?

Shakey

Shakey

Is this ego...?
Nah, I just don't want to sit in someone else's stink. Someone braved it for me and hosed it down with air freshener. I promptly ruined it again.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's December 2nd you dipshits. It's not even the week before Christmas. You assholes go and plant a 12foot Christmas tree within 5 feet of the door to my office, put up a wreath on my door, which NEVER CLOSES, and hanging tinsle from my windows? To top it off, you seriously put a cd player with an 8 song track of lame ass Christmas songs beneath this tree, not 5 feet from my door?

I could burn this whole place to the ground....

Coworkers

It's December 2nd you dipshits. It's not even the week before Christmas. You assholes go and plant a 12foot Christmas tree within 5 feet of the door to my office, put up a wreath on my door, which NEVER CLOSES, and hanging tinsle from my windows? To top it off, you seriously put a cd player with an 8 song track of lame ass Christmas songs beneath this tree, not 5 feet from my door?

Next year I'll wrap your office and everything inside it in wrapping paper instead.

XOXOXO

Love ya sweetie!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

HA HA HA!

Dave

Dave

I so hope that's real. If it's not, I'm pretending it is anyway!

:rofl:

SeraRelm

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If everyone's running on schedule, there are entire departments that I'll never see. Are they still co-workers?

Hell, I'm the only one on the property during my shift. Do I have any co-workers?

Dave

Dave

Coworkers come in, coworkers go out. Can you explain that?!?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Someone did that to me, too, a few years ago - only the christmas tree was FLOCKED. That was when I discovered that flocking material, or whatever it is called, causes me sever upper respiratory distress. That was not a fun december.

SeraRelm

<insert pun>
That sucks though, Gas. I get respiratory problems easily and I feel your pain.

Dave

Dave

I guess you could say it flocked with your lungs! AMIRIGHT!!!
Added at: 13:14
Damn. Beaten to the punch by Sera.

makare

Christmas trees can pretty much be harbingers of doom for my allergies. Also i think a lot of them smell like cat piss. So my family uses artificial ones and every year there is always someone who tries to argue me into getting a real tree thinking it is for some environmental reason or whatever like I don't want to cut down a tree.

What I don't like is not being able to breathe you twats!

Gared

Gared

My luck today must be running really ugly - I have 3 requests to handle at work today. We ask for some basic information backed up by some official documentation. If we fail to receive either of those two things, we cannot release data to you. So far today I have 1) a request from someone who sent her documentation to the wrong address and did so in such a way that it will NEVER be routed to my department, 2) a request which should be going to legal, as it's coming from a police department instead of a family member and is being used to assist in a homicide investigation, but was sent to me instead because the legal contact for that country is trying to be "helpful", and 3) a request that has none of the correct official documentation and no way for me to contact the requester to tell them this. What the fuck is everyone but me smoking, and why aren't they sharing?

Oh, and my normal end of work day stress release has been sabotaged by illness. I can usually count on my trainer to kick my ass hard enough to make me forget about all of the stresses of the day, but he's sick and his son has food poisoning, so I don't get my training time tonight.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, another artist's show, another day where everyone shuffles past the booth or looks but doesn't buy. Seriously, these things are a waste of time and effort. The wife does much better selling her stuff through shops.

Dave

Dave

Hire a model to sell from one of the booths.

Krisken

Krisken

Heh, well, the wife is a cutie, but I suppose she wouldn't appreciate me suggesting wearing a bathing suit to try to sell pottery.

She's just getting frustrated and is ready to give up on it at this point.

drifter

drifter

Make that sponge holder into a pair of titties. Everyone loves titties. And kitsch.

Big-ass sign: TITTIES AND KITSCH. I can hear the register ringing already.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I think you might be onto something here...

Krisken

Krisken

I did tell her once she should make ceramic dildos. She wasn't happy with me.

drifter

drifter

Okay, how about this:
Penis sponge holder. The balls hold the sponge, with the shaft of the penis acting as a downspout into the sink.
Eh? Eh?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Our oven, which has been kinda flaky for years, has finally degraded beyond my dad's ability to repair it. A replacement may take 2 weeks or more to get delivered (up to a month for installation. Not sure if we can do it ourselves.). That's going to be a pain, and if we can't get one in time it could ruin Christmas dinner.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I have just spent the last 90 minutes in an online chat with a Comcast analyst trying to figure out why my new phone service isn't working through the modem. After 90 minutes, her assertion is that my modem must not be connected properly to the cable. I reply to her that I have just spent the last 90 minutes chatting using internet via this very same fucking cable service, so that is not the issue.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

From late fall through early spring, I wake up with severe allergy attacks. Just the act of coming to will trigger a flood of snot. Doc had prescribed lodrane to control it, and it did. I wasn't going through half a box of tissues every morning.

Of course, prescription lodrane is no longer available. Sigh.

wana10

Straight up missed the sign dropping I5 back to 60mph from 70mph and so WA's finest gave me a $144 ticket. Then had my ass handed to me by the JLPT. Hell of a way to spend a weekend. Hung out for a while with a friend I hadn't seen in a while though so tit for tat I suppose.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Our oven, which has been kinda flaky for years, has finally degraded beyond my dad's ability to repair it. A replacement may take 2 weeks or more to get delivered (up to a month for installation. Not sure if we can do it ourselves.). That's going to be a pain, and if we can't get one in time it could ruin Christmas dinner.
Gas or electric?

If it's gas, no, you can't install it yourself as it would be dangerous, what with dealing with gas lines and all that.

If it's electric, well, it just plugs into the wall :) Unless of course, you have some weird electrical outlet or something not up to code.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Gas or electric?

If it's gas, no, you can't install it yourself as it would be dangerous, what with dealing with gas lines and all that.

If it's electric, well, it just plugs into the wall :) Unless of course, you have some weird electrical outlet or something not up to code.
It's electric. The concern is the weight because it's a double oven. I'm going to guess my parents are going to go for it anyway, and if my dad and I can't handle it we'll ask some friends to help. They've picked out the model they want, and they're trying to find someone with it in stock for a reasonable price.

makare

Straight up missed the sign dropping I5 back to 60mph from 70mph and so WA's finest gave me a $144 ticket. Then had my ass handed to me by the JLPT. Hell of a way to spend a weekend. Hung out for a while with a friend I hadn't seen in a while though so tit for tat I suppose.
Wow that is a really large ticket just for 10 miles. The time I was stopped I was 10 over, well 15 over but he dropped it to ten and it was only 80 dollars, although I guess that was 10 years ago. man inflation is a bitch.

makare

well this morning i got ass raped by my trust and wills final. I mean my god I knew it was going to be bad but I seriously need to show where on the doll that test touched me (it was the butt).

Fun Size

Fun Size

What what?

makare

What what?
if you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand the answer any way.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

if you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand the answer any way.
No no... he's referring to this, since you mentioned ass rape.

makare

lol i misread that as "WITH what" and i thought.. um.. well.

I prefer the butters version of what what.

phil

phil

So my friends invited me out today, and I was really excited to go because one of my buddies visiting from new York was one of them. I even cut short plans to hang with a work friend at her brother's house (kind of an awkward hang out anyway) to see my friends. I get to the bar and text one of them to see where they're at and right when I order my beer he texts back that everyone bailed and forgot to tell me.

Fuckin' assholes.

Gared

Gared

It is freezing in our office building - to the point that people have a) started complaining to facilities maintenance and b) started buying "non-allowed" heaters for their offices. Apparently the people who used to work in this building worked here for two years, each winter the building was freezing, and facilities refuses to do anything about it. Stupid Microsoft.

Edit: It should be noted that we don't store servers in this building.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

so my awesome mood just got shot the fuck down. I am now drunk, reading random shit on the net to keep myself from breaking down in tears, and trying to wrap a christmas present with love.... Guess which one of things is going to end shortly, and which one is going to go into overdrive...

Dave

Dave

In other news, quoting in sigs is broken. Interesting.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

yeah I noticed the avatars in sig quotes, was going to see if I could edit it out when I was in a better mood. Not really caring about the potential foul of internet etiquette at the moment. I'm slightly proud I didn't go into full drunk aussie mood and start throwing around words thank you americans cringe at...

Dave

Dave

Not all of us cringe at them. Besides, hearing an Aussie curse is fucking awesome!

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

In my experience, our flippant use of the words fuck and cunt as additives to give extra weight to certain things makes most yanky doodles uneasy. I suppose given your military background it would be less so, but I made some sailors cringe when I got on the piss one night, and some bastard made me spill my drink. Hell I had a bad day at work and wanted a beer or two when I got home...Currently sitting at 12+ empty cans, slurring like a drunk on pension week and slipping eff's , cee's and some rather creative (tard faced monkey, is gold at the moment) insults into every sentence. I would be an awesome video interviewee....you could see the empties pile up, and my swearing become more and more prominent as time goes by.

Hell if my girlfriend wasn;t being such a cranky bitch I would go and get stoned off my nut and start posting some really wacked out paragraphs full of insults that arnt even insulting.

(TL:DR) I'm aussie, I live in a town that has one of the highest "casual" drug users in the state, if not the country, I got in a crappy mood, got drunk and started swearing at everybody and everything.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

In my experience, our flippant use of the words fuck and smelly lady part as additives to give extra weight to certain things makes most yanky doodles uneasy.
What's the big fuckin' deal? Who gives a fuck what you fuckin' say when your fuckin' pissed drunk? I think we're all fuckin' adults here and we can all stand some fuckin' insults without it becoming a big fuckin' issue.

I mean FUCK... *sigh*

GasBandit

GasBandit

I read somewhere recently that swearing gives tangible stress relief benefits - but only to people who don't swear, as a rule.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I read somewhere recently that swearing gives tangible stress relief benefits - but only to people who don't swear, as a rule.
This makes sense. Doing something that is taboo helps people relieve stress because they aren't restraining themselves. If you do it all the time, then you really need to do a Cluster F-Bomb to get the same results.

makare

I know very few people who get upset over swearing who are under the age of 70. My family swears a lot in general it is just how we speak.

However when I hear someone going off on a massive cussing rant I pretty much just ignore them. But I ignore people who don't swear when they are blathering too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Swearing wasn't a big deal for me, years ago. I grew up with friends who couldn't help but throw in an F-bomb for seasoning every other sentence. The little woman, however, comes from a different background and she really deplores thoughtless profanity. I've become stodgier, she's loosened up and we've met somewhere in the middle, which is still a lot more reserved than most Americans, I think. When I come home after spending time with one of my old friends though, she says she can tell.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Swearing around friends over a few beers is one thing, but swearing in front of people that I don't know, or worse yet friends' parents... is completely classless.

Tress

Tress

Context is king.

Dave

Dave

Context is king.
Context is fucking king.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The National Pearl Harbors Survivors Association has just disbanded after today's 70th anniversary. The vast majority have died, and the remainder are too weak to return every year.

/salute

Gared

Gared

We need to change "Like" to "Agree." I don't like Sixpackshaker's post, but I agree with the sentiment whole heartedly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We need to change "Like" to "Agree." I don't like Sixpackshaker's post, but I agree with the sentiment whole heartedly.
That would cause as many problems from the other direction as well. Well, maybe only for me.

Gared

Gared

No, I'm sure you're right. I suppose I'll have to actually post something instead of just clicking a button when I want to show support for something that's generally unliked. #firstworldproblems

makare

I think we can all interpret someone liking something correctly. I mean if we can't then there is no hope for us here on the interwebs.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

My wife's grandfather was in the Navy during WWII, he was already in before the attack on Pearl Harbor, but was not there. He turned 92 this past September, he is one incredible man.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So I'm "agreeing" with a funny picture when I hit "like"?

makare

I just had the brilliant idea to trim my own bangs. I am not even going to expand on why that is now a rant.

LittleSin

LittleSin

You have my utmost sympathy. I, too, have tried to cut my own hair in the past.

Namesake

If one more person tries to pay for gas with rolled change, I may make them eat it

Gared

Gared

Apparently the reason I've been feeling so completely listless and exhausted the past couple of days is because I've caught a cold. It just wouldn't be a holiday season if I weren't sick or injured somehow - but I hope this clears up before the wedding/Christmas.

Dave

Dave

If one more person tries to pay for gas with rolled change, I may make them eat it
I've tried to buy rolled coins with gas. They didn't like that much either.

Adam

Adammon

Wife got sunstroke. Being the dutiful husband I stayed with her in the hotel room all day. With no Internet and only Spanish versions of The Mummy trilogy to keep me entertained. Go on, ask me how to say Horrible acting in Spanish.

phil

phil

How is the third one? I kinda like number 2 and meant to see it if it were ever on for free or something.

Adam

Adammon

It was a simple set up Phil. I ask you to ask me a question, you then ask that question and I respond with a witty retort and garner a like or two from the sillier of us. Instead you had to be serious, to ask a question beyond the original joke intention. This has caused me physical pain Phil, as if the God of Laughter himself picked up a kitten, tied it to a brick And threw it into a slow moving fan. The kitten survives of course, but it's that moment hesitation just as the fuzz hits the blade that you think "holy shit, this is going to be messy." watching instead as the fan falls off your desk on to the floor and te kitten scampers off, dragging the last Lego piece you needed to make the Millenium Falcon Lego set you just bought on eBay for three times retail price. Pain Phil. Pain.

phil

phil

Jet li's in that one, right?

Adam

Adammon

:(

Terrik

Terrik

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Emrys

Emrys

Since you use these words as everyday parts of your conversation, they are pretty meaningless, not unlike "uh" "hm" and "er".

What do you use when you actually want your words to make an impact?
He hits people with a cricket bat.

drifter

drifter

phil

phil

Ya know I've never actually seen all of an Ernest movie.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ya know I've never actually seen all of an Ernest movie.
There was more than one? I just remember the commercials.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There was more than one? I just remember the commercials.
According to Wikipedia...

Tress

Tress

Man, I used to love Ernest Goes to Camp when I was a little kid.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ernest Goes to Jail and Scared Stupid were my two favorites.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We'd always watch Ernest Saves Christmas at Christmas time, though I'll admit I like Ernest Goes to Camp more.

The last one on that last I saw was Slam Dunk Earnest, which was basically a proto- Like Mike.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wait.... *counts up the Ernest movies* 14, means 13 sequels, minus "Scared Stupid" that the Nostalgia Critic already did...

Obscurus Lupa tweets: "Question: If I reviewed a movie with 12 sequels, would y'all be willing to watch them all?"

It couldn't be, could it? :Leyla:

Gusto

Gusto

How many Land Before Time movies are there?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Speaking as the father of a 4 year old, infinitely too many.

The Land Before Time 44: This Series Has Now Lasted Longer Than The Actual Dinosaur Age

Shaw Coyote

Shaw Coyote

Not enough.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm not sure, but MarzGurl already covered them all, plus the video games.

makare

I remember when they had the land before time kids meal at pizza hut. I loved that. I guess it is a permanent memory because we rarely got to go get pizza. I had that cup with the bend straw for years.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Holy crap, now I'm having repressed memories bubbling to the surface of actually going to see Ernest goes to Camp. I don't think I saw any of the other ones though.

Krisken

Krisken

I saw Ernest Saves Christmas when I was sent home from a Boy Scout trip after developing a fever that caused me to randomly pass out.

I seem to remember it being funny in my delusional state.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I would honestly say that Ernest Saves Christmas is probably the only GOOD Ernest movie, even if I like Goes to Camp more (because of childhood memories). It's still pretty bad, but it's that special kind of bad that you can't help but smile at.

Dei

Dei

For some reason I decided this year was a great year to try out a bunch of new cookie recipes, even though I am trying to lose weight and thus can look at them all but can only eat like... one. This is more a rant at myself for being a GD masochist.

makare

I said "hell" at work tonight and was told to watch my language.

this may be a challenge because outside of a preschool classroom who considers hell foul language? weird.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Holy crap, now I'm having repressed memories bubbling to the surface of actually going to see Ernest goes to Camp. I don't think I saw any of the other ones though.
There was also a TV series "Hey, Verne, it's Ernest"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193221/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My wife posted on Facebook about us doing a book and I felt terrible yesterday when I got a call from my mom, who thought I'd gotten a book deal with a publisher and that it'd been posted on Facebook rather than telling her and others about it first. :facepalm: I didn't say it to her, but I almost felt offended that she'd think I'd be one of those who posts news to Facebook before saying anything. I hate when people do that shit. And then it becomes the only way to get info, so you end up finding out anything because someone's relationship status changed. You get to go "what the hell does that mean?" until you get on the phone and have real, active communication.

Gusto

Gusto

Experiencing what I can only describe as the physical symptoms of depression or a life half-lived.

makare

i just had to talk to someone on the phone who was an insufferable idiot. I mean she probably still is but fortunately i dont have to talk to her any more.

ARRRRRGGGGHHH.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ernest Scared Stupid is actually one of my favourite Halloween movies.
Added at: 19:14
I didn't say it to her, but I almost felt offended that she'd think I'd be one of those who posts news to Facebook before saying anything. I hate when people do that shit. And then it becomes the only way to get info, so you end up finding out anything because someone's relationship status changed. You get to go "what the hell does that mean?" until you get on the phone and have real, active communication.
Sometimes I swear you and I share the same brain.
I ranted about two of my friends announcing engagements on facebook a little while back (I was drinking, so I posted it in the wrong rant thread by mistake).

makare

I am really down that I might not get to go home for Christmas this year. My work has a tell us 60 days in advance if you need time off policy that they failed to tell me about. not that it matters since i havent even worked there that long. :(

I miss my family and my pets. My mom decorated the tree herself, baked the goodies herself and I am here all by myself.

I am just so let down by it all. I am trying really hard to keep my holiday cheer but as my friends go back to their respective home towns and I am more and more alone I just feel awful.

My friend Robin invited me to Christmas dinner at her inlaws place and I am very happy they invited me, even though I dont know them well and worry it will be awkward, but I am glad I wont be alone.

I guess to put a blunt point on it I am sad and lonely.

Cue the violins.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't know what I'll do when I move away for grad school. Christmas is the one time of year that I've NEVER missed going back home to visit the family unless it were impossible.

makare

Ive never missed a Christmas before either :(

I just can't afford to risk my job it took me so long to find one. I try to be happy that at least I am not living in the dorm, and I am very much, but it still hurts not being able to share my family's traditions with them.

Of course my sister missed last Christmas because she was in jail so she is really excited to go home. If I cant drive her she is taking the bus. I hope they have fun at least. sigh.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've never missed family Christmas, but we've moved our Family Christmas around plenty because we dont' want to have Christmas without everyone there.
Last year my family had our Christmas in mid January, this year will be the same. Growing up, "Christmas" was usually on the 26th, 27th, or 28th. Though sometimes it'd be on like the 23rd. I've experienced few Christmases on Christmas.

makare

Submit the request anyway. They may reject it, but the policy is in place to make it easy for them to reject time off requests, not because they will never approve one that is less than 60 days away.

The earlier you submit your request, the more likely you'll get the time off.

If that doesn't work, find a local friend/family you can hang out with for Christmas. It won't be the same at all - but you will enjoy it much more than hanging out at home by yourself.

Oh I submitted the request that's when I found out about the policy. So right now it is not a request for time off it is a request for a shift swap, so I am at the mercy of someone else taking my shift. It doesn't seem like that is going to happen :(

And I did find someone else to hang out with on Christmas I mentioned that. I'll be hanging with my friend Robin and her in-laws.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Okay people. There is no need to be rude asses just because you've put your Christmas shopping until two weeks before Christmas. Yes, we will have run out of some stuff that we advertised for Black Friday, we WANT to run out of it. We can't guarantee that it will be back in stock before Christmas, all the shipping methods are getting backed up now with the extra pressure of Christmas. So, just take a deep breath, calm down, and actually let me do my job and find something else that may work for you, don't just immediately start with "WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THIS IN STOCK!" and get louder from there. Volume doesn't help your position, it just means that everyone in the store can hear you being an ass.

MindDetective

MindDetective

BUT MY LIFE DEPENDS ON BUYING NEWSHINYTHINGVERSION32.3 RIGHT THIS INSTANT!
I think I saw that movie.

makare

for some reason I thought of Jingle All the Way

and I blame you for that.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I have to watch that movie during this time of year to remind myself that I haven't had anyone THAT bad. (and to THANK GOD that I don't deal with whatever the latest toy of the year craze it)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I feel this is more minor fail than rant... just discovering that online my wife is one of those who refers to Lady Gaga as "Mother Monster". :/

Gusto

Gusto

I feel this is more minor fail than rant... just discovering that online my wife is one of those who refers to Lady Gaga as "Mother Monster". :/
What is the menaing of this phrase, and why has it caused you to rant?

I fear there is a lot about Lady Gaga I do not fully understand!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What is the menaing of this phrase, and why has it caused you to rant?

I fear there is a lot about Lady Gaga I do not fully understand!
Lady Gaga refers to her fans as little monsters, and has appointed herself the mother monster. It's just very... tween to me.

Gusto

Gusto

Hmm. Yeah.

makare

hehe I had not heard of that. I am now.. amused.

*gives QP a cookie*

also here is an actual rant- wtf "the product you want is available.. oh wait now it's not... ok now it is!... out of stock!.. back in stock!... yes.. no.. yes.. no.. good luck next time!" how about a pre-order you bastards!! you BASTARDS! stop playing with my mind :(

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

also here is an actual rant- wtf "the product you want is available.. oh wait now it's not... ok now it is!... out of stock!.. back in stock!... yes.. no.. yes.. no.. good luck next time!" how about a pre-order you bastards!! you BASTARDS! stop playing with my mind :(
I *LOVE* this new toggle switch that I got. Still can't figure out what it controls. :D

Emrys

Emrys

BUT MY LIFE DEPENDS ON BUYING NEWSHINYTHINGVERSION32.3 RIGHT THIS INSTANT!
At volume 11, evidently.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Went grocery shopping today. Got in line and waited, got nearly up to the cash, cash closed and everyone had to move to another register. Now everyone who was behind me is in front of me. Get nearly up to the register, and the cash closes, and we have to relocate to another register. Now everyone who was behind me is in front of me again. Spent maybe 5 minutes shopping, but closer to twenty in line.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Another reason why I use the self checkout lanes at the grocery store whenever possible.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Another reason why I use the self checkout lanes at the grocery store whenever possible.
I do this too. Mainly because it seems nobody bothers to teach cashiers how to pack bags anymore.
But the two grocery stores closest to where I'm currently living don't have those.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I do this too. Mainly because it seems nobody bothers to teach cashiers how to pack bags anymore.
That's because they are doing two jobs for the price of one. Remember, many stores still employ baggers explicitly because it saves lane time. For instance, Krogers and the Giant Eagle Marketplaces still have baggers.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

But the two grocery stores closest to where I'm currently living don't have those.
The two main chains in town have opposite outlooks on the self-serve checkouts at night. One closes them all at 9pm, and you have to go through a real cashier. The other only offers self-serve after 10pm or so. No live cashiers except the one overseeing all the self-serve lanes.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

The Krogers down here hire a lot of "special needs" folks, who would have a hard time finding jobs elsewhere. They do a damned fine job of it, too. Beats the hell out of having some disinterested teen handling my groceries.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That's because they are doing two jobs for the price of one. Remember, many stores still employ baggers explicitly because it saves lane time. For instance, Krogers and the Giant Eagle Marketplaces still have baggers.
Really? Where? I never see them when I visit these chains here.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

In Canada, most grocery stores don't employ baggers. Or at least in Ontario. I really shouldn't presume to speak for every province. I actually can't think of one that uses baggers as well as cashiers. Whole Foods, maybe? Sometimes around Christmas some stores have baggers. Both grocery stores you mentioned, we don't have in Canada. Never heard of 'em.
Many of them get you to bag for yourself now. You usually have to pay extra five cents for each bag to boot, to encourage people to use reusable bags.
But that was really just my grumpy surly "They don't do it the way I like, harumph!" As long as they don't put the bread on the bottom, I don't really care too much, and like I said, most grocery stores here get you to bag your own groceries now.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I know they still do baggers at the Krogers stores in Central Ohio, probably because Krogers is a union joint.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Krogers I frequent here in Texas has both separate baggers AND self-checkout lanes. BUT THEY JUST REMODELED THE DAMN STORE ARRRGH NOTHING IS WHERE IT GOES

phil

phil

Went grocery shopping today. Got in line and waited, got nearly up to the cash, cash closed and everyone had to move to another register. Now everyone who was behind me is in front of me. Get nearly up to the register, and the cash closes, and we have to relocate to another register. Now everyone who was behind me is in front of me again. Spent maybe 5 minutes shopping, but closer to twenty in line.

That's crazy! Why would they make everyone go to a different line? I understand not letting new people in line but to actually make everyone move? That's just stupid.

I had to buy milk for work recently and accodently tried to go through the express lane. The cashier just started waving his arms going "no no no no no 10 items 10 items!" I mean I understand wanting to enforce your policy but to do it so rudely? And it was 20 of the same item! I only had one up there so he could scan it and change the quantity.

I honestly am starting to think that it's becoming the norm to just skip training people on jobs and throw them out there.

Adam

Adammon

I honestly am starting to think that it's becoming the norm to just skip training people on jobs and throw them out there.
That has been the norm for well on 20 years now for menial labour jobs such as that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yesterday somebody at work asked me "what's a good program to play video files?" So naturally I answered VLC. Welllll turns out he then went and downloaded one of the "packaged" versions of VLC out there that have alternative installers that put extra toolbars, spyware and crapware on your computer. /headdesk.

Adam

Adammon

Yesterday somebody at work asked me "what's a good program to play video files?" So naturally I answered VLC. Welllll turns out he then went and downloaded one of the "packaged" versions of VLC out there that have alternative installers that put extra toolbars, spyware and crapware on your computer. /headdesk.
That was your first mistake, trying to help. Your second mistake was caring about what they did.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That was your first mistake, trying to help. Your second mistake was caring about what they did.
Well, I'm more straightforward with this guy because he's a little more savvy than the rest of the users - he maintains our local webserver and wiki, can write foxpro scripts, etc.

phil

phil

Fuckin' hell.

So on top of my dog's problems of course I drop my phone and the screen shatters. Then work is kind of hectic but everything that happens just seems even more dramatic and a bigger issue than it is because of everything going on. Like there's this one guy who has some kind of problem, ya know? Like he just doesn't seem to fully comprehend everything going on in some way. Like he gets a brownie and thinks he should get more change than he did even though it's counted out correctly. So he comes up a bit later to get another and I'll admit that part of my motives involved not wanting to try to explain subtraction to him again but I just figured I'd do something nice and not charge him. Well he either got offended or didn't know why I was doing it or something because he's acting weird and talking about it a lot. So of course my coworkers see and start asking what's up and I'm just trying to get everyone to let it fuckin' go but they think he's being rude and I'm worried that other customers will want free shit etc.

It's all so stupid that even letting it get to me makes it feel that much more stupid.

makare

oh man i deal with that kind of stupid on the phone all the time! I just want to stab them through the phone.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Like there's this one guy who has some kind of problem, ya know? Like he just doesn't seem to fully comprehend everything going on in some way. Like he gets a brownie and thinks he should get more change than he did even though it's counted out correctly. So he comes up a bit later to get another and I'll admit that part of my motives involved not wanting to try to explain subtraction to him again but I just figured I'd do something nice and not charge him. Well he either got offended or didn't know why I was doing it or something because he's acting weird and talking about it a lot.
And then he THREW IT ON THE GROUUUUNNND!

Espy

Espy

SICK. Blech. Stupid cold attacked me last night and is now making me super-miserable.

phil

phil

If he had said and done that it would have made my day.

David

David

I moved my computer to my sister's house and when I hooked it all up it wouldn't turn on. Pressing the power button did absolutely nothing. Panicking thinking I had somehow damaged it in the drive over (it did fall over in the car once, because I put it in standing up right like an idiot) I ran out and bought a multitester to check the power supply, when that was confirmed to be putting out power I felt even worse because the motherboard is even more expensive to replace. Especially if it takes any of the other components with it when it fries.

I brought it back home and hooked it up and it powered up no problem. Turns out I was pressing the "reset" button instead of "power."

D'oh!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Turns out I was pressing the "reset" button instead of "power."

D'oh!
Sorry, but I laughed. Because I've done that and today was a day like that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

-"Hi, are you here today for tech support?"
-"No, I just want someone to look at my broken computer thing."
NNnnrrrGGghhllblllalbllll.....

--Patrick

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Last monday, I woke up at 3 am, my head full of things to do. I made a list, and decided that week I would get my shit together and actually start doing the stuff I had to do.
I started.
Two days later, I had to stay at home to watch my little sister, who had an ear infection. Nothing unusual, she gets them all the time, and my job allows me to do this kind of thing.
Lunch time, she is feeling miserable. We have a doctor appointment in half an hour.
Half an hour later, we are at the doctor, whiel we wait, she falls asleep.

She has a very very serious infection, mastoiditis. I take her to the hospital. She spends the next week there, she has two surgeries to drain the pus from the infected area, my parents are completely overwhelmed, I take care of a lot of stuff and enter a vortex of taking care of my family and coping with my hospital-phobia and how this situations reminds me of my own surgical experience when I was her age, wich where the phobia-inducing experiences in the first place.

I'm very nervous, I eat like mad, I do nothing on the list.

She is alright now, at home, feeling well, still taking antibiotics though.

The list of to do thing has come back, a lot of them are very urgent now... and just in time for christmas!

Now, to do some christmas shopping for ALL my family, as my parents are both exhausted and full of work and christmas for a little girl like my sister HAS to involve some presents appearing under the tree.

I'm... pretty stressed right now.

drifter

drifter

I'm... pretty stressed right now.
Relax
(Link is SFW)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Kittens!!:)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I think I did this same one last year. Don't care.

My precinct is at a mall. For those of you who have never had to experience an American mall at Christmastime, count yourself lucky.

Me? I have to keep COMING BACK HERE, because people CAN'T FRIGGIN' DRIVE, and keep HITTING things here.

I am walking a fine line here, with every minute I am stuck on this ring road, trying to escape this black hole of consumerism, I am drawn more and more towards unleashing 40 rounds of hollowpoint hell, followed up with an ASP and OC sandwich.

drifter

drifter

Is it too late to send out Christmas cards?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

O_O

*falls out of patrol car laughing*

Emrys

Emrys

When lying on the floor and playing with doom weasels, if one of them should start attacking your feet, do not simply raise your feet up into the air. This will make it easier for them to bite your bum.
Ow.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just had a relapse of my nasal staph infection... So I get to spend my X-mas alone. My Nieces and Nephews are too young to resist the bacteria, and my Parents are too old.

makare

bad night at work. had to have a supervisor handle a call TWICE. after that never happening ever. Twice in one night.

First call was a guy who would not let me talk, then he would not let the supervisor talk and then he hung up. Fun.
Then a lady i couldnt find in the system, who the supervisor could not find in the system, then she told the supervisor he was full of shit before hanging up.

Assholes.

PatrThom

PatrThom

4yr-old video card from my main PC system (Quadro FX 4000, equivalent to GeForce 6800 Ultra) crapped out last night. VRAM must've gone blooie (now has artifacts in screen image). Discovered fan had gotten fuzzy, probably could have it still running if I'd bothered to notice and clean it out during my PSU swap about six months ago. I bought it for about $350 4 years ago, and fortunately now they've fallen to only ... $300*.

For the time being I've fallen back to my older Quadro FX 1000 (Equivalent to GeForce FX 5800 Ultra). It's good enough to get by, but I'm still fuming. I was hoping to do a completely new build for between $600-700 after my tax return, and now I have this to deal with.

--Patrick
*From dealers I've heard of.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Would a GeForce 8800 Ultra be an upgrade? If so, that one is about $140 with free shipping.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Would a GeForce 8800 Ultra be an upgrade? If so, that one is about $140 with free shipping.
Yes, it would. . . but I'm on AGP, not PCIe. The GF6800/QFX4000 was THE best native* AGP card ever made.

--Patrick
*Every AGP card since has been a PCIe card with a PCIe<->AGP bridge chip added.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, it would. . . but I'm on AGP, not PCIe. The GF6800/QFX4000 was THE best native* AGP card ever made.

--Patrick
*Every AGP card since has been a PCIe card with a PCIe<->AGP bridge chip added.
It is long. LONG. Long past time for you to go ahead and upgrade to a PCIe capable motherboard. I did so four YEARS ago and I thought I had held out as long as humanly possible.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Has there been anything to try and claim the new interconnect yet? Or is it going to be like USB and last for fucking ever?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Have any cards actually pushed the limits of a PCIe x16 slot yet? I thought that x8 was still enough to not cause any performance problems.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It is long. LONG. Long past time for you to go ahead and upgrade to a PCIe capable motherboard. I did so four YEARS ago and I thought I had held out as long as humanly possible.
As you might expect, you are not telling me anything I don't already know. I have had a replacement system spec'd out for years (for about $500-600), but so far have only been able to acquire the GPU (an ATI X1900 AIW). As is the case with many of my dreams, it boils down to a chronic lack of fundage.

I think that thunderbolt has a good chance of competing with USB for faster communications, but it is essentially an external PCIe slot (time shared with a displayport interface). Due to its proprietary-ness, though, it's going to face an uphill battle to industry-wide acceptance. I don't think the USB implementers forum is going to go down without a fight, but they also haven't had good uptake on USB3.0 either, and it's already slower than thunderbolt.
Thunderbolt is an Intel spec, and a fast one at that. USB3.0 will gain a lot of traction due to its backward compatibility with USB 1.1/2.0. As for FireWire 1600/3200, you almost never hear anything. Mainstream Thunderbolt is supposed to be coming near the middle of 2012.

Dear Reader, you may be thinking I've derailed this thread. On the contrary, I submit this post as my lament that I make it my business to stay on top of current hardware releases and reviews, get to play with the newest toys at work, research carefully crafted systems for other members of this board (which I enjoy, BTW), but then come home every day to sit in front of my 2003-vintage system knowing that even if I do manage to scrape together say, $3000 or so*, it will immediately be drained getting a new car. Our current car is a '94 which was T-boned in 2008...and we're still driving it daily because we have no other choice. If I upgrade to a new system, I will fuck over my family. A new computer can (and will) wait. Again. Just like last year.

--Patrick
*Yes, it's Jan 4th and I've already completed my 2011 Federal income tax return. We're just waiting for the forms to go final so we can file.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

girlfriend says: im moving to the big city (400kms away) in a few months. you can come if you want....but you have to stay here for a month or two while i get settled until you can come.
girl code for dont come? not sure. advice?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Sounds like she just doesn't want company until she's settled, but that's just me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

*Yes, it's Jan 4th and I've already completed my 2011 Federal income tax return. We're just waiting for the forms to go final so we can file.
I wish I had my W2, I'd be finished quick as could be. Good for you.

makare

The following is a work related rant.

Oh yeah. Everyone has balls the size of Buicks when they are ON THE PHONE. Mr "What are you trying to accuse me off here? I'm a criminal investigator blardi blardi blar!" Asshole, I do not care enough about you to accuse you of anything. How about you criminally investigate every inch of my FAT ASS.

whew.

Gared

Gared

The following is a work related rant.

Oh yeah. Everyone has balls the size of Buicks when they are ON THE PHONE. Mr "What are you trying to accuse me off here? I'm a criminal investigator blardi blardi blar!" Asshole, I do not care enough about you to accuse you of anything. How about you criminally investigate every inch of my FAT ASS.

whew.
Ah yes... the customers who are so self absorbed that they think your inability to assist them in any way and for any reason means that you care so much about who they are and dislike them personally so much that you're going out of your way to inconvenience them. God, do I not miss the days of call center work.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I also do not miss working at a call center. I am unemployed...and I am NOT going back to a call centre. I know how that makes me sound but I just can't take the bitching any more!

makare

I really hate that guy mostly because I was 5 minutes away from getting off for the day. He called with a minor unimportant 5 minute call at the most. I treated him like everyone else and he got completely offended. I had to go get my supervisor. He complained about me then when she tried to help him he 1. accused HER of accusing him of something and 2 when she had to read these codes to him for free stuff that she had to convince him to take, which we have to read that stupid G as in george etc way, he made her reread it military style. Wtf really wtf. She was on the phone with him for 15 minutes. Which means I was 15 minutes leaving work. I was extremely annoyed to say the least.

yeah ls it is the bitching that gets to me. where i work is so fun and everyone is nice. But I realized why after a few days. If they didnt create a fun atmosphere off the phone we would probably all go home and shoot ourselves.. OR somehow find a way to track these assholes down.

The only thing I like about the job on the phone is 1 actually making people happy 2 hearing about weird names. I had a lady call whose name was, no kidding, Jahhalahe. Really. I love it.

Gusto

Gusto

My parents are kind of guilting me about a painting they want me to do for the living room. I'm happy to do it but they seem to think that allowing me to live here rent free during my unemployment is payment enough.

I'm not really sure if charging them for it is right, given those circumstances...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

You're right Allen.

You're always right.

makare

allen tell him to give you all his money and his collection of little green men.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I don't think Gusto even has a collection of little green men.

makare

:(

Gusto

Gusto

There are a lot of things I don't have a collection of.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

My parents are kind of guilting me about a painting they want me to do for the living room. I'm happy to do it but they seem to think that allowing me to live here rent free during my unemployment is payment enough.

I'm not really sure if charging them for it is right, given those circumstances...
Do you pay any sort of money toward the home?

Help with the Light Bill?
Pay some groceries?
Give money in compensation for room and board?

If the answer to all 3 are no, then Yes, you're free labor.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah exactly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Rent Free, that would be a Sofa Sized painting every four months...

David

David

The lady who won the bid for my old ipod messaged me wanted to cancle it because she didn't actually bother reading what she was bidding on to see that I tagged it as non-working/for parts only.

I went ahead and canceled it, even though technically I would be in the right by ebay's policies to demand payment or give her a bad score. "Didn't read the description before bidding" doesn't qualify as a valid reason for retracting a bid. I wish I could be more of a jerk sometimes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The lady who won the bid for my old ipod messaged me wanted to cancle it because she didn't actually bother reading what she was bidding on to see that I tagged it as non-working/for parts only.

I went ahead and canceled it, even though technically I would be in the right by ebay's policies to demand payment or give her a bad score. "Didn't read the description before bidding" doesn't qualify as a valid reason for retracting a bid. I wish I could be more of a jerk sometimes.
And now you have to pay Ebay their cut anyway.

I made the same mistake with a broken PS2 years ago. Not the not reading--that's stupid. But letting someone off the hook. Cost me a few dollars.

Tress

Tress

And now you have to pay Ebay their cut anyway.

I made the same mistake with a broken PS2 years ago. Not the not reading--that's stupid. But letting someone off the hook. Cost me a few dollars.
I had the reverse problem once. I purchased an Xbox 360 at an expected used price, only to have the seller finally admit it didn't work at all. Of course he neglected to mention that in the description. I guess I was supposed to just sense that it was parts only. He wanted me to buy it anyway, and thankfully Ebay agreed with me that I didn't need to pay him a dime.

David

David

Ebay allows the two parties to mutually agree to cancel the bid and will fully refund the seller's fee. I figured this was the best option, and since the item is only worth $15 anyway, it wasn't worth fighting her over for payment. I did however relist it, this time explicitly stating at the bottom of the page that I will not accept any requests to cancel transaction after the bidding period.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

W-2s are in already. My expected federal refund... $10. Meh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

W-2s are in already. My expected federal refund... $10. Meh.
I usually have to pay. The way I see it, if you get a refund, you didn't set up your witholding right. No interest free loans to the government for ME thanks.

makare

I love my return. I'd rather they took more.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I love my return. I'd rather they took more.
You mean you love your refund, I think? The return is the paperwork itself. But yeah, that doesn't surprise me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At my first job, the HR lady took it upon her self to take out less than my taxes. So I'd have more money to spend during the year. Then I got blind-sided by a $300 tax bill.

GasBandit

GasBandit

At my first job, the HR lady took it upon her self to take out less than my taxes. So I'd have more money to spend during the year. Then I got blind-sided by a $300 tax bill.
Well, yeah, it's different if someone does it to you without your knowledge, much less permission.

I've got mine worked out though so usually I have to pay single digits, which I consider to be like shooting a hole in one on a windy day. Yes.... It's like... an extremely long-term, boring, paperwork-based golf simulator.

makare

When i am making better money i will have them take out more. it's like a savings account i cant mooch off of.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The way I see it, if you get a refund, you didn't set up your witholding right. No interest free loans to the government for ME thanks.
100% correct. In my case, I never know exactly how much money we're both going to make during the year, so I deliberately over-withhold to prevent an unpleasant surprise in the Spring. Also, I can adjust my Fed online with my employer, but to change the State withholding requires printing out a PDF, filling it out, sending it in...screw that.

--Patrick

makare

It always smells funny in the classrooms. The other day it smelled like play dough and today it smells like bread or i guess i could say real dough. Not sure what is going on. I don't think it is me. I can't think of a reason why i would smell like any kind of dough...

Makes my head hurt :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

makare

... then I am doubly glad it is not me.

yikes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

... then I am doubly glad it is not me.

yikes.
As for "regular dough," do I really have to spell it out for you?

makare

massive yeast infection?

still glad it aint me :p

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The rest room at the office has one of those huge dual rolled toilet paper dispensers. The janitor hung the roll on it backwards. Now I have to perform a contortionist's act to get a little paper to wipe...

Gared

Gared

Ok doc, you say you want me to go out and get my glucose monitor and starting testing twice a day ASAP (cuz, well, my blood sugar was REEEAALLY high). So, how's about you explain to your MA what she needs to put on the effing form for you to sign so the pharmacy will dispense my god damn test strips? Seriously, am I this guy's first diabetic patient, or does his MA just really not deserve her job? First they sent a prescription over for a kit, which they thought came with strips, but it doesn't. Then they couldn't send a prescription until I told them what brand of monitor I had, but they're the ones who picked the brand. Now they finally sent a prescription, but they didn't tell the pharmacy how many times a day I'm supposed to be testing, so they STILL can't dispense the fucking things and now I have to wait until Monday to call the doctor's office AGAIN.

phil

phil

I guess I didn't close my door all the way when I left for work today. My roommate's dog got in, couldn't get out and thusly tore up a section of my carpet trying to get out.

She's moving out next month. I don't know if I should take the pet deposit next year when I move out? Should I have them replace the carpet when she moves and then we just settle up then if we need to?

Whatever. Either way it's not the end of the world but it's just a dumb headache that's going to suck.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I have no idea what's up with my right thumb. 2 days ago I woke up, and it was hurting all of a sudden. There's no discoloration, no marks to indicate trauma... the pain is localized along the metacarpal, between the wrist and the first knuckle.

It hurts to move it, and whenever I try and grab hold of something, I get a shooting pain in my wrist. This is somewhat bad, because I'm right-handed and use it for all sorts of job-related tasks like, oh, grabbing suspects, shooting, and so on...

I have no idea what could have caused it... I got into a foot chase and had to put a guy in a head lock on Thursday, but I didn't have any pain or anything that night.... weird. If it keeps up by Tuesday, I'm going to see the doc, which is not something that I do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Adrenaline is such a wonderful thing.

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

The adrenaline had already dumped by the time I got home, though... I was feeling the pain in my legs from the sprint, but nowhere else.

Like I said... weird.

Emrys

Emrys

It's -9F (-23C). With the wind, it feels like -27F (-33C).

Batten down the hatches. It's Ragnarok.

evilmike

evilmike

Emrys

Emrys

Ah, so this bitter cold is your fault. I understand now.

Doomweasels, attack!

evilmike

evilmike

Emrys

Emrys

Except those are rats, which are massive wusses compared to doomweasels.

Hylian

Hylian

Man I am the only one from my department who showed up today due to the snow. And on top of that there has only been a little over a dozen or so people who have showed up altogether. On top of that with Reddit and other sites having a blackout day it is going to be a long day. :(

LittleSin

LittleSin

My biggest rat (God rest his tiny soul) once pulled my Cat into his cage...the other rats saw him doing this and decided to help.

In the end the rats were terrified, pissing everywhere, but vicious....and my cat took a lot more care around them.

Baerdog

Baerdog

The apartment building is being painted today and the next couple of days and my windows are covered in plastic and paper, depriving of my beautiful views of the mountains. :(

PatrThom

PatrThom

My biggest rat (God rest his tiny soul) once pulled my Cat into his cage...the other rats saw him doing this and decided to help.
I feel this would quickly become a top-viewed YouTube video, if any footage should happen to surface.

--Patrick

LittleSin

LittleSin

Probably. Sadly, this was before I even owned a digital camera.

That rat was a fucking bully. :p We had to move him to his own cage because he would let the others rest in peace..and he broke out of the boy cage and impregnated our youngest girl ratty.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Realized my youtube source for QI hadn't shown up in my subscription feed for a while.
YouTube account ************* has been terminated because we have received multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants, including:
  • British Broadcasting Corporation

LittleSin

LittleSin

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Necronic

Necronic

I bought books for the class I am taking this semester. For this ONE class the books were $450.

Dave

Dave

This is a minor rant only, which frankly amazes me. Lately my rants have not been of the minor kind. But here goes.

• They are coming to shut off our heat today. They hope to have it on at the new place right after, but they have to send out a completely different person to do that so there may be some delay.
  • They are coming to shut off our electricity today. They hope to have it on at the new place right after, but...(are you seeing a pattern here?)
  • They are coming tonight to shut off our cable, which is phone, internet, TV, sex toys, etc. Won't get turned back on until Sunday.
  • When we planned all of this the weather reports said 54 (F) and sunny. They've revised it. It'll be 25 (F) and breezy.
Gotta love moving.

Adam

Adammon

This is a minor rant only, which frankly amazes me. Lately my rants have not been of the minor kind. But here goes.

• They are coming to shut off our heat today. They hope to have it on at the new place right after, but they have to send out a completely different person to do that so there may be some delay.
  • They are coming to shut off our electricity today. They hope to have it on at the new place right after, but...(are you seeing a pattern here?)
  • They are coming tonight to shut off our cable, which is phone, internet, TV, sex toys, etc. Won't get turned back on until Sunday.
  • When we planned all of this the weather reports said 54 (F) and sunny. They've revised it. It'll be 25 (F) and breezy.
Gotta love moving.
Holy shit! What will you do without sex toys!?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

In soviet russia, someone else turns on your sex toys!

makare

woah that was trippy.. at the exact second i clicked like on gas's post someone else thought one of mine was funny, so i got an alert.

my first thought was did i somehow manage to like my own post!?

Dave

Dave

I put that in to see who was reading it. Adam wins again!

Adam

Adammon

I put that in to see who was reading it. Adam wins again!
That damn Steinman! Always winning.

Dave

Dave

Okay, okay. No more abbreviating your name. Sorry, Adammon.

Adam

Adammon

Okay, okay. No more abbreviating your name. Sorry, Adammon.
Well, you're 25% better than people who abbreviate it as Ada. WTF? Do I look like an Ada?

makare

well show some leg and we'll let you know...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Yes

Krisken

Krisken

You should.

Krisken

Krisken

Thank christ for the broken link.

Adam

Adammon

well show some leg and we'll let you know...
Thank christ for the broken link.
leg.jpg

Krisken

Krisken

You bastard.

Adam

Adammon

You bastard.
No problemo, chica.

makare

sexy.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Meh... I'd hit it.

makare

if i had a shot gun right now... i would be going to jail.

read into that what you want.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

You can't read with a shotgun. That's just silly.

Docseverin

Docseverin

I have a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. I am officially grounded for medical reasons, if I elect to get surgery I won't be able to skydive for a minimum of 6 months. I can try to do physical therapy but the specific tear I have has a less than 1% chance of healing without surgical intervention.....FML. I am a peacock they gotta let me fly!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

if i had a shot gun right now... i would be going to jail.
Only if you did it wrong, of course.

Dave

Dave

I have a SLAP tear in my right shoulder. I am officially grounded for medical reasons, if I elect to get surgery I won't be able to skydive for a minimum of 6 months. I can try to do physical therapy but the specific tear I have has a less than 1% chance of healing without surgical intervention.....FML. I am a peacock they gotta let me fly!
Sucks, man. I know how much you love doing it.

makare

You can't read with a shotgun. That's just silly.
but i read to my shot gun every night....

makare

I was at work stienman. My shotgun stays home

Duh.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Inclement weather has kept me from beloved New York this weekend and my friend's birthday.

What am I doing with my time? Berating my brother's girlfriend's sister for getting down on my brother's terrible written English skills when hers aren't great either. What wonderful things I do with my time.

Today was ass.

Mathias

Mathias

Inclement weather has kept me from beloved New York this weekend and my friend's birthday.

What am I doing with my time? Berating my brother's girlfriend's sister for getting down on my brother's terrible written English skills when hers aren't great either. What wonderful things I do with my time.

Today was ass.
How much did you guys get? We only got about 5 inches around Philly.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

How much did you guys get? We only got about 5 inches around Philly.
A whole 4 inches at most. They were nervous about ice that never really accumulated, but that made them cancel the buses going north. And I don't even think that was so bad compared to times in the past, but it was enough for them to stop the chinatown service until late tonight.

If there's anything Obama and I agree on, it's that the DC area is pretty wussy when it comes to precipitation.

Adam

Adammon

We got 8 inches today. MARVELOUS!

Krisken

Krisken

My cat just peed on my slippers. What a dick.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

He probably wants something. I know mine don't do outside litter box bathroom "accidents" unless they're really PO'd about something. (Dirty Litterbox, no food/drink, if I'm gone for more than 2-3 days at a time).

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That does not sound like Nick's Prom Night.

figmentPez

figmentPez

He probably wants something. I know mine don't do outside litter box bathroom "accidents" unless they're really PO'd about something. (Dirty Litterbox, no food/drink, if I'm gone for more than 2-3 days at a time).
We have a cat who likes to pee on things, and he does it when he's mad about something, but he also does it when he's eaten dry cat food. Apparently some cats love dry food, they're kinda addicted to it, but they can't digest it well and it leaves them grumpy and with behavior problems. If we can keep him away from dry food, he rarely pees on stuff.

Krisken

Krisken

Usually it's attention. He has a full food dish and water at all times and the litter box is cleaned twice a day. Normally for attention things I get a warning. A meow and weird running around. This time he just walked up, squat, and pee. Which is why I said "What a dick."

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

I went to a friends house last night, got hosed, ended up staying the night. Go to leave then next morning, get all my stuff together only to find my keys are missing. My only set of car keys! I'm assuming I put them down somewhere and just forgot about it. After hunting for a while I gave up and went home. If they don't turn up by tomorrow I'm going to be really fucking pissed at myself. Also this hangover is killing me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I went to a friends house last night, got hosed, ended up staying the night. Go to leave then next morning, get all my stuff together only to find my keys are missing. My only set of car keys! I'm assuming I put them down somewhere and just forgot about it. After hunting for a while I gave up and went home. If they don't turn up by tomorrow I'm going to be really fucking pissed at myself. Also this hangover is killing me.
Your friends hid them so you won't wake up and drive while half lit. Just wait for them to get up. Just steal some water or gatorade and watch some TV...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Left the stove going so long that the boiling water evaporated and I may have ruined a pot, because I'm a fucking idiot. Good morning! I need to actually wake the hell up before I start cooking.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I fucking hate this weekend and that's all I can really say openly. Good fucking gods.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Lucky you.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Moving sucks. We got most of it moved but there's still some stuff left. The cable guy left here only a couple hours ago and I'm now wired up like you wouldn't believe. My internet went up about 10 MB/s.

speed test.png

On a different note, we've gotten rid of a lot of stuff but as this is a smaller house we still have way too much. I think overall this has been good for us. But good God has this sucked.

Saturday we had 2 teenagers helping us. The rest either bailed or were hours late. We had a bunch of "I'll help!" no shows. The ones we got worked really fucking hard though so I got to give them all major props.

So we're moved. Shit's everywhere in boxes and we still have a few things left at the other house. We'll get it little by little until an orange sticker tells us we can't go there any more.

Gared

Gared

Got a call from my engagement manager (basically my contracts rep) on Friday and a really weird/ominous voice mail that just said something like "I want to follow up with you about... something I want to follow up with you about." Called her back and left my own voice mail, but never heard back - so I figured it was no big deal, she's usually pretty good at making contact for important things. Wrong. Apparently what she was following up with me about was the notification email she sent to (only) my work email address (cuz you know, when there's a massive ice storm that the entire region is digging out of and no one's at work, emailing their work address is a great way to get in touch with them) telling me that as of Feb 1st, I'm an hourly employee instead of salaried. Now, my actual pay rate stays the same, so at least I'm not taking a loss on how much I theoretically earn; but it's frequently difficult for me to stretch my minor little project out to 20 hours a week, let alone 40. I always try to be at work for 40 hours a week, and get here and leave at consistent times, and am constantly asking my onsite manager for more project work to fill in the gaps; but since he rarely has any work for me to do, it looks like it's time to find a new job. I can live on 40 hours a week at my current payscale, I cannot live on 20 hours a week or less at my current payscale. Just one more step in happy fucking 2012.

fade

fade

I walked out this morning to find my front fender and bumper scraped up. On the bright side, the guilty party left his name and phone number, and was very apologetic when I called. Could've been worse. Even my wife confessed she might just have driven off for such a minor incident.

fade

fade

So here's my life lately, and why I haven't been around much.

Back in June, I left my professorship to join a consulting firm in Houston that specializes in my area of expertise. At the time, this seemed like a good idea, because the pay was nearly 3 times what I made as a prof, and I wasn't able to get enough research done at the university because I was a geophysicist in a geology department. The grad students had to be pacified, but they didn't want to do the mathematical, computational stuff I do.

At first it was really boring. I immediately called back my dept. head and asked to be re-hired. He said he would ask, but the dean said they couldn't due to EEO laws. I was welcome to reapply, though. So, I said screw it. So the deal then was that my house hadn't sold, but my kids were already enrolled in summer stuff, and my wife wasn't in a huge hurry to leave. So I was alone in Houston, with my wife and kids living 3 hours away in Louisiana and the house refused to sell. Feedback kept saying the price was too high, but I couldn't lower it any more. So they stayed. School started, so then they really didn't want to move. I kept an eye out for other academic positions, but the ONLY geophysics posting I saw all fall was...my old job. On Halloween, I visited campus, and was warmly greeted, and basically asked to reapply. This was not unprecedented. Two of the other profs had done exactly the same thing...left to get industry experience (important in the geosciences) and returned. Besides, they'd only had 5 applicants (and 3 openings--one other prof didn't make tenure, and they wanted to replace a temp instructor). This was odd, because on announcing my departure, I saw not one glimmer of emotion.

Anyway, I reapplied, and then something weird happened. With the economy improving, there was a sudden rush of really late geophysics prof postings. The usual due date for apps is mid Dec, but these were coming out then! On top of that, I was moved to R&D (much better fit), and one of my friends/mentor was hired as the third highest ranking position in the company. So things got better on both fronts, which just made decisions worse. On top of that, one of the postings that came out was in New England, my favorite part of the country (albiet at a military affiliated school), and another was at a prestigious R1 school advertising for exactly my specialty. I specialize in an area of geophysics that has maybe scientists 10 Ph.D.s writing in it worldwide, and I'm one of them. I happen to know the others are happily employed. There are probably young grads, because this area is gaining commercial applicability, but I outrank them.

Meanwhile, I'm here alone in Houston. We're waiting to hear from apps, some of which don't even begin review until March. Stressed out. I travel home at least every other weekend, but I am going to miss a year of my kids' lives, and I only get 18.

Sorry for the novel. I just needed to vent a little.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So my brother just nailed his dream job. He's going to be a service consultant to ridiculously rich people on their aquariums. He basically writes lists of recommendations for each of their tanks, sends it to a sales associate, who makes a phone call to get an approval and boom, he makes commission. On top of that, he's also going to be making a college graduate level hourly rate for routine maintenance. He gets full medical, dental insurance as well as paid vacation that carries over time not spent year to year.

He got there after only one year at a minimum wage aquarium job.

I'm happy for him but hating at how easy he got it.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

Your friends hid them so you won't wake up and drive while half lit. Just wait for them to get up. Just steal some water or gatorade and watch some TV...
Oh I wish it were that. I didn't even drive that night :(
After 2 days we have found them though. When my friend picked me up after dropping my car off so I could drink, my keys fell off my belt onto the floor. When he picked up other friends they chucked their stuff on the floor upon getting in then just picked it all up in a bunch when getting out, taking the keys with them by accident.
So I shall have my keys by this afternoon hopefully, if not tomorrow. Whenever I can catch up with him. At least I don't have to worry about telling everybody I lost their spare keys!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Thanks, doctor, for telling my wife something's up with her blood test and you need to talk to her, but you can't see her until Tuesday and won't take a phone call. I know what I'm gonna be listening to all weekend. I only wish I could force you to listen to it as well.

Gared

Gared

Record it and send it with her to her appointment with instructions that she play it in its entirety.

Seriously though, sorry to hear it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Thanks. I think if she still can't get the receptionist to get his ear for just 2 minutes to tell her it's no big deal, I'll get on the phone or suggest she go over there. It's harder to hang up on a physical presence. It probably is nothing, but I know it's gonna eat at her until she knows.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The not being able to tell over the phone thing is actually a law, HIPPA. Basically, they gotta see you to verify that you are actually who you are supposed to be and they're not releasing info to a scammer or the like. My wife gets a letter each time that she has blood work done, "You have some anomalous test results, please see your doctor for more information." She has Lupus, we expect the anomalous results.

Baerdog

Baerdog

But it's never lupus.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

But it's never lupus.
I so wish that we could say that and be truthful. We've known about her Lupus now for 16 years, sometimes things are better, sometimes worse.

Krisken

Krisken

But it's never lupus.
Exception that proves the rule.

Gusto

Gusto

Figures.

The one day in the past 2 months I haven't slept 9 hours (only 3 :( ) and it's my first day of training at the new job.

Wish me luck.

Gared

Gared

I am so exhausted today. Today seems like it's been going on for at least a week, and this month seems like it's been going on for at least a year.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Filed taxes, which would normally be a minor victory. While we are getting a decent amount back, it's actually hindered to be less than our combined amount last year because:

1. My wife was laid off and had to get another albeit briefly-lived job. Somehow having a second job lowered what we got back even though she declared nothing on that job's W4.
2. Maryland taxes have apparently gone up because these fuckers aren't rich enough yet.
3. I received a small raise this year, not enough to make much of a dent in the bills, but enough to change my tax bracket by a few dollars, so I get less back.

So yay for money, but yay for less money than last year. This year I'm not giving the government a free loan; we need it more than they do until my wife gets a new job.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I finally got an HDTV last November after doing about two years of research for reliability, cost, and quality until I found what I considered to be the perfect deal on Black Friday.

60 days later, the TV no longer works. Doesn't even turn on. Fucking hell.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

For years I've been threatening to get my mom a Jitterbug because she would never use the features on her feature phone. So my state tax refund arrives and I want to consolidate all family phones to AT&T. What do I do?

I buy her a freaking iPhone. :Leyla:

ElJuski

ElJuski

A whole 4 inches at most. They were nervous about ice that never really accumulated, but that made them cancel the buses going north. And I don't even think that was so bad compared to times in the past, but it was enough for them to stop the chinatown service until late tonight.

If there's anything Obama and I agree on, it's that the DC area is pretty wussy when it comes to precipitation.
wait, you live in the DC area?

Gared

Gared

Today is my last day of salaried employment with my current job, tomorrow I go hourly. On the plus side, I don't have to have my FTE manager sign off on my hours unless I go into OT, but the chances are I won't be making the same amount of money in coming months as I am now, due to what will probably be slower months ahead (this month was actually really busy because people didn't want to deal with the death of their loved ones during the holidays, insofar as that meant contacting MSFT). Hopefully I'll be able to beg project work off of some of the busier teams to fill up any potential downtime, but this is just one less reason that my wife and I are inclined to stay in Washington.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just scared the crap out of myself. My computer would not POST. I was finally able to get the machine to do the line item boot. It was hanging up on my iPod that I just plugged in so it would charge.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just scared the crap out of myself. My computer would not POST. I was finally able to get the machine to do the line item boot. It was hanging up on my iPod that I just plugged in so it would charge.
That's happened to me, too, on one of my machines I have to make sure a certain USB external hard drive is unplugged when I reboot it or it won't post.. just keeps rebooting after the memory test.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I think my toddler stepped on my laptop. Now if it moves even in the slightest my whole screen begins to look like...like...well, you ever have an old NES catridge and you stick it in and the screen goes crazy? Like that except I just can't blow on it and fix it.

It's doing it while I type this post!

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

I feel ya buddy, Due to strange circumstances, I've gone a week without proper antipesperant, and i had al kinds of weird smell. ( inb4 ewwws, I was borrowing my girls tiny roll on sick thingy, no match for my manly sweat though.)

fade

fade

You're saying it wasn't strong enough for a man?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Of course, all this leads me to wonder whether my wife noticed, and if so why she didn't say anything? :confused:
... maybe she liked it?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wimmens love the man stink, no matter how much they claim they don't.