[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I've been slogging my way to level 60 in Skyrim, thinking that was the level that I could kill a Legendary Dragon... nope. Level 78 for that. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGgGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGh!

It's still amazing that the "right" religion and "true" message of God is very determined on where you were born and who your parents were.
...to say nothing about which God(s) you follow.

Also, I would like to point out that there is a bit of a difference between religion as an individual calling v. as an institution. I could go into detail, but I think I'll let Arlo Guthrie set it up, instead*.

--Patrick
*Assuming the pre-roll YouTube ad doesn't ruin it, of course.

Cajungal

Staff member
Damnit, 2013... I said no relatives.

My Poppa Dale died Sunday. If he had to go, I'm glad it was peaceful. I know he's been on a steady decline, but I kept hoping against hope that he'd bounce back like a few times before. He was so grateful for every day he had, though. Makes it a little easier. My poor mother has lost both her parents within a year.

I'm mourning the loss of the greatest gentleman I've ever known. Suddenly I'm scared for society as a whole (I know, I'm just now feeling this way?). He symbolized an entire population of men and women who put themselves last without complaint and took pride in doing their duty in life, whatever it was at the time. Of course, I know many wonderful people, but these past few days I've been lost. I don't know where the world is going if Poppa's not here. It was like watching the highest standard of honor and decency die out. I miss him already, but I am so lucky that I knew him and I got to hold his hand before he went to sleep.

CG, that's why it's up to you now to carry on his legacy by being the most upstanding person you can be. The reason there aren't as many of those type of people anymore is because it takes a lot more effort to be decent than just being an asshole.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'll do my best. :) This was also just a very revealing experience for me. I think I might be the flaky, screwup kid. My sister just sprung into action and totally took care of my mother. She anticipated needs I did not anticipate. It makes me feel bad to stress about that at a time like this, but I guess I feel like I failed as a daughter throughout this situation. I mean, I was there, but I don't know. It wasn't the same.

In my case: Online and lots of rejections/let downs till I met the right one.
Pretty much this. I was just about to give up from the constant rejection when I found my GF. Just give it time and don't take rejection personally. People are stupid some times.[DOUBLEPOST=1357877306][/DOUBLEPOST]My rant? You don't work here any more. The emails you received at our email address do not belong to you! There is no way in hell I'm going to just hand them all over to you. It's your own damn fault for using that email address as your personal address.

A good thing to remember about online dating, which makes you feel better and worse at the same time:

A poll a while back showed that for every 1 message a male receives a female will receive 20-50 on an online dating site. It's not that she's picking someone -better- than you over you, it's that she's probably feeling pretty overwhelmed by messages at the time.

People are very unforgiving, and that goes for both sides. If you haven't yet, have a female who has done the whole online dating thing go over your profile.

Dear every manga distribution company in the world- STOP TAKING FOREVER TO RELEASE MANGA THAT WAS TRANSLATED MONTHS BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED! You wonder why people use scanlation sites? Its not because of money, ITS BECAUSE YOU THINK JAPANESE RELEASE DATES WORK IN THE STATES! In Japan it makes sense, they need to compile it, decide the cover, and the bonus stuff. In every other place in the world, YOU ARE JUST TRANSLATING IT! Stop making me wait three months for something that could be released in one month!

figmentPez

Staff member
How do people meet romantic interests.

This is super hard.
Ugh, I don't even want to think about it. I've never really looked before in my life. All of my romantic relationships have pretty much just happened into my life. I'm not sure I can count on that happening again, or if I even want to just take "close enough" when she comes along.

I have a video client that is DRIVING. ME. CRAZY.

They insist on not hiring professional actors for their training videos, instead they use employees who are TERRIBLE.
It hasn't been an issue until now, and suddenly someone in the company is freaking out saying that the "actors" in one of these training films are TERRIBLE.

DUH.

I figured they were ok with it. I mean, hell, it's their idea. They know they aren't professionals. They aren't even PAID to do it.

So far no one has blamed me, but I suspect that may be coming down the road. I hope I'm wrong. So far we've had a great relationship.

UGH.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'm feeling strangely irritable tonight. I don't know what's exactly bugging me, I just feel like a wee bit high-strung today.

Maybe it's the fact that there's nothing really going on in the PbP games I'm playing at the moment.

Maybe it's the fact that my recent flu has left me with little to no voice.

Maybe it's tomorrow, heading to the hospital for tests and fearing they'll want to keep me over "just in case".

Maybe it's my parents currently over.

Maybe it's being frustrated as hell sexually.

Maybe it's not having been able to eat properly because of flu-induced coughing.

I dunno, maybe I just feel like punching someone tonight.

Had a short "check in" meeting with my engagement manager regarding the recent re-org and the change to my MSFT manager. My old manager was perfectly OK with the fact that I never had anything to do during slow periods of my main responsibility; my new manager actually loves the fact that I have so much downtime, because this allows him to fill that downtime with other responsibilities, like major reporting and BI projects. My engagement manager wanted to check and make sure that I felt capable of handling reporting duties as well. Apparently she still has no idea what I want to do aside from shipping dead people's data to their loved ones (which I don't actually want to do, but it's a job), regardless of the fact that I've been asking her for over a year to transfer me into the BI section of the company. When I reminded her that I actually really enjoy BI, and that I have a BI background, and told her that the new duties my manager has assigned me are a perfect lead-in to a more solid BI foundation, she looked at me like I was speaking Martian. This company has really gone downhill since my brother-in-law sold his fifth of the company and bowed out of decision making.

Got a call from my mother this morning. My brother's cancer is back and the tumor is larger than the one they removed previously. They expected the cancer to come back, but they expected it to take 5 to 10 years, not 5 to 10 months. Complications from the surgery nearly killed him last time, so we're hoping that he doesn't have to have as exhaustive of a surgery this time; but it sounds like he will have to have more extensive chemo this time around.

Attack of the Show has been canceled. Good fucking riddance. They killed The Screen Savers.

LONG LIVE TECHTV!!
AotS was going to be cancelled anyway with the channel's shift to GQ. I honestly haven't watched G4 in like 3 years... basically ever since X-Play went from a Game Review/Sketch Comedy show to the channel's sole remaining gaming content. Even then AotS was kind of terrible.

Also, why the fuck did Olivia Munn think she EVER had the chops for The Daily Show? I'm glad she only shows up like once every 2 months...

Did Alphas improve at some point? I watched the first three or so episodes and they were crap.
Oh yes. It definitely did. Season one started getting better at episode 4, I think, with the introduction of Anna, Red Flag and the actual beginnings of a plot. Between there and the finale, it steadily grew into a pretty decent superpower procedural with an overarching plot that's a bit reminiscent of X-men, regarding the whole politics and mutant question. The finale itself was pretty great, and set the scene perfectly for season 2, which became an alternating chain of increasingly depressing and ''holy shit what just happened'' moments as the plot kicks into full gear and there's no looking back.

As for the individual actors, Ryan Cartwright should definitely be praised for his performance as the autistic Gary, who can be both heartbreaking and heartwarming in the span of half an episode or less. David Strathairn is already an pretty good actor, but Rosen's development in season 2, where he shows that he is very much not like the Xavier of this show (to keep the X-men comparison going for a little, since he does seem to fulfill the role of wise old man coaching a bunch of people about their mutant powers in season 1) becomes a focal point in why this show is so amazing. The rest of the team (Warren Christie as Cameron, Azita Ghanizada as Rachel, Laura Mennell as Nina, and Malik Yoba as Bill) each have their own highs and lows but on the whole the group has great chemistry once the show does get going.

I just really love the universe this show has built and how incredibly refreshing it was to see superpowers treated in a way where they're not comic-book perfect like Superman's...everything or the Green Lantern's capability to create literally everything with a thought. I mean, sure, those things are fun, I love superpowered beings, but Alphas take on it was new and felt more solid and therefore really exciting.