[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I woke up this morning totally congested. For real....after the last 6/7 weeks of illness that I've had. Not cool body...not cool.

I have a ton of art and crafts to do today and kids to watch tonight while the hobo parties.

There was a death last week - Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. It was sudden, in that I was talking to the person the day before and they were completely fine (recovering from surgery at home, but fine).
One of sons called me on Wednesday to let me know and we talked a bit about what they're looking for in a service, but no details. They said they'd get in touch "in the next couple of days". So far, nothing. I've called the house, but the number is disconnected. I've called the other congregant they spoke to, they also called from the house. So I have no way of getting in touch with the sons; no obituary has been posted, so I can't call the funeral home and work through them either.
It's a week to Christmas, this is one of the most stressful weeks of the year, and these nitwits are adding to it.
But, they seemed pretty clueless as to what they wanted, so I've drafted up a complete service, just in case I get like, 24 hours notice (which has happened before).
Bah!

There was a death last week - Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning. It was sudden, in that I was talking to the person the day before and they were completely fine (recovering from surgery at home, but fine).
One of sons called me on Wednesday to let me know and we talked a bit about what they're looking for in a service, but no details. They said they'd get in touch "in the next couple of days". So far, nothing. I've called the house, but the number is disconnected. I've called the other congregant they spoke to, they also called from the house. So I have no way of getting in touch with the sons; no obituary has been posted, so I can't call the funeral home and work through them either.
It's a week to Christmas, this is one of the most stressful weeks of the year, and these nitwits are adding to it.
But, they seemed pretty clueless as to what they wanted, so I've drafted up a complete service, just in case I get like, 24 hours notice (which has happened before).
Bah!
Related? Nagano drive-thru funeral home to serve mourners with limited mobility

Dave

Staff member
We have a food day every week for our group and have for years. Then we moved to another area. Now every time we try and cook anything they complain about the smell or noise or whatever. They've gone to HR 4 times reporting us, which is hysterical since the fucking COO is a part of our food days (they obviously didn't know that). Today they came by and borrowed one of our skillets for a food day THEY were having. Which pissed me off because the fucking audacity of it. But the kicker is that they used metal utensils on it and scored the shit out of it, then left it sitting in the breakroom once they'd cleaned it.

Seriously? You borrow the fucking thing *I* bought and then don't return it and when I do get it it's been marked to shit. And, of course, nobody is taking responsibility for it so I guess I just have to take it. Mother fuckers are not borrowing my shit ever again.

If I catch you sleeping in your car in my parking lot, the only thing you're getting from us is a GTFO. It's already obvious you're trying to cheat us, so I will absolutely NOT sell you a room.

Some days I regret having a small car. Like when we're going up to the mountains for 5 days and are trying to pack food for the condo to save some money and we are already out of room.

GasBandit

Staff member
Some days I regret having a small car. Like when we're going up to the mountains for 5 days and are trying to pack food for the condo to save some money and we are already out of room.
Heh, you gotta get creative! When I moved from Colorado to Texas, I fit everything I owned into an '88 MX-6 GT.

(It looked like this, but blue)

That fucker was full all the way up to the windshield on the passenger side. I felt like a tank driver. Driving a small, fragile, turbocharged tank, granted, but I'm pretty sure if a cop had pulled me over I'd have gotten a ticket for it. I couldn't see out the right side or rear window AT ALL.

Ok, well, I didn't fit EVERYTHING in it. I had to give away my 6 foot bean bag and a 13 inch television.[DOUBLEPOST=1514401886,1514401811][/DOUBLEPOST]So I guess what I'm saying is to stack groceries on your kids until you can't see them anymore.

Heh, you gotta get creative! When I moved from Colorado to Texas, I fit everything I owned into an '88 MX-6 GT.

(It looked like this, but blue)

That fucker was full all the way up to the windshield on the passenger side. I felt like a tank driver. Driving a small, fragile, turbocharged tank, granted, but I'm pretty sure if a cop had pulled me over I'd have gotten a ticket for it. I couldn't see out the right side or rear window AT ALL.

Ok, well, I didn't fit EVERYTHING in it. I had to give away my 6 foot bean bag and a 13 inch television.[DOUBLEPOST=1514401886,1514401811][/DOUBLEPOST]So I guess what I'm saying is to stack groceries on your kids until you can't see them anymore.
Oh we managed it, It's not pretty, but everything's in there. Good thing the roads are supposed to be clear today. :p

This has been a good Christmas but I honestly can't wait to get away from my alcoholic asshole of a middle brother. He does everything in his power to make everyone miserable from constantly shitting on everything everyone else likes to picking fights with our dad and aunts for literally no reason other than making things awkward. Then he gets mopey when he claims everyone's mad at him. I've only been in one shouting match with him so far and that's a personal best.

I was only gone from work for three days... How did they mess up so much in so short a time?!
Just yesterday I had to help someone who was having trouble imaging two computers.
The image process was going very slllooooowwwww on both of them and he was fussing over the network connection because he couldn't figure why the progress bar was barely moving.
...turned out both computers had failing hard drives BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING, PEOPLE!!!
< @Dei >Ugghhh.</dei>

--Patrick

Boy, you know, reported Valley Fever cases were up in the Phoenix metro area in November. They're not sure why, but a lot of people had flu-like symptoms (cough, cough)...

Oh yes, me going 44 on a 4 lane street at 2 in the morning where there were literally no cars besides me and the cop trying to catch people is SUCH a danger. If he would be honest and just tell me it's a cash grab since they set the limit to 30 for god knows what reason, that's one thing, but I don't need any bullshit pontificating about how it's dangerous.

I'm taking a break from structured archery this month (League Night is off right now and I decided to not take class this month) to try to work through a lot of mental game issues I've been having. Trying to micro manage all of my tiny errors right now is just going to get in my head more. Unfortunately, I am far to likely to fall into the trap of never bothering to go this month out of sheer laziness. Right now, I have a semi excuse, because I don't want to fuck up my posture by shifting my weight to keep it off my bad leg. But, as I said, that's only a semi excuse and my knee is already starting to feel mostly fine. I'm really just ranting at my own lack of desire to go places by myself if I don't *have* to.

"The purpose of this project is to digitize and cloudize tape-based analog storage systems..."

Dear translator, I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think "cloudize" is a word.

The hiring committee at University of Canterbury still hasn’t gotten back to me. They said they’d try to get back to me either way by December 18. My advisors are telling me to just sit tight because they probably just scattered over the holidays. They also might have offered the position to someone who is stringing them along (in order to wrangle a raise at their home institution) and I might be their next choice. But I cannot STAND waiting in limbo.

"The purpose of this project is to digitize and cloudize tape-based analog storage systems..."

Dear translator, I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't think "cloudize" is a word.
I'd have gone with "cloudify." I judge it has a better chance of catching on, since it's less ugly than cloudize.

And remember, inventing words is paying tribute to William, ye olde god of English.

The hiring committee at University of Canterbury still hasn’t gotten back to me. They said they’d try to get back to me either way by December 18. My advisors are telling me to just sit tight because they probably just scattered over the holidays. They also might have offered the position to someone who is stringing them along (in order to wrangle a raise at their home institution) and I might be their next choice. But I cannot STAND waiting in limbo.
Probably the latter, having been on the hiring side of things a couple of times, but it could be a mix of both.

Visa debit gift cards are the next best thing to useless and I hate that my mother keeps falling for their bullshit. She got my wife and I a $500 Visa Debit Gift Card for Christmas, with the intention that we would be able to use the funds for a much needed large purchase (a washer and dryer). It has a PIN number, and is supposed to be usable at ATMs to withdraw any and/or all of the money. It's also supposed to be able to run as a debit card at POS machines. And, you can totally use it online. Only - you can't do any of those things. It's not tied to my address, so I can't use it online. It's in my mother's name, so if I run it as a credit card and someone checks my ID, I get busted for passing a stolen card. You can't get money from an ATM with it because it's not tied to a checking OR savings account. It can't be run as debit at a POS because it's not connected to a checking account. The only thing I can do with this $500 piece of plastic is use it as a credit card at POS machines where I don't have to show the card to the attendant - so self-scan checkouts or purchases smaller than $50.

Visa debit gift cards are the next best thing to useless and I hate that my mother keeps falling for their bullshit. She got my wife and I a $500 Visa Debit Gift Card for Christmas, with the intention that we would be able to use the funds for a much needed large purchase (a washer and dryer). It has a PIN number, and is supposed to be usable at ATMs to withdraw any and/or all of the money. It's also supposed to be able to run as a debit card at POS machines. And, you can totally use it online. Only - you can't do any of those things. It's not tied to my address, so I can't use it online. It's in my mother's name, so if I run it as a credit card and someone checks my ID, I get busted for passing a stolen card. You can't get money from an ATM with it because it's not tied to a checking OR savings account. It can't be run as debit at a POS because it's not connected to a checking account. The only thing I can do with this $500 piece of plastic is use it as a credit card at POS machines where I don't have to show the card to the attendant - so self-scan checkouts or purchases smaller than $50.
And even if it were in your name, if it's not on the card itself, many hotels won't accept it. If I'm at the desk, I won't. "Gift card" or "Valued Customer" won't do.

And even if it were in your name, if it's not on the card itself, many hotels won't accept it. If I'm at the desk, I won't. "Gift card" or "Valued Customer" won't do.
In this case, it is on the card, which is part of the problem, but yeah, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't with these things. Honestly, the only "person" who gets any benefit out of this is Visa, because they get to keep all the money that people never use because they can't get it off the damn card. And then I feel like the asshole for calling her and asking if I can send the stupid thing back to her and have her just transfer actual money to us instead.

In this case, it is on the card, which is part of the problem, but yeah, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't with these things. Honestly, the only "person" who gets any benefit out of this is Visa, because they get to keep all the money that people never use because they can't get it off the damn card. And then I feel like the asshole for calling her and asking if I can send the stupid thing back to her and have her just transfer actual money to us instead.
Why not buy something like a big Amazon gift card for yourself with the balance left? That will empty the Visa out, and you have something in your own name to use as you wish with no stress.

Why not buy something like a big Amazon gift card for yourself with the balance left? That will empty the Visa out, and you have something in your own name to use as you wish with no stress.
That's what I usually wind up doing, to avoid the stress, and I'm sure it'll be what we wind up doing this time. It just infuriates me because it's such a shitty tactic.

fade

Staff member
The worst part of applying for an academic job (at least in the US) is the radio silence. Especially if you're in the final 2, and they offer to the other person. They're not going to say a word to you until they no longer need you as a backup. Not saying that's what's happening, but I've had it happen before.

I never have to show my card anywhere, I just stick it in the card reader and no one gives a fuck. I'm amazed that there are still places that actually check.

I never have to show my card anywhere, I just stick it in the card reader and no one gives a fuck. I'm amazed that there are still places that actually check.
I turned away a girl who wanted to use "grandma's" card to try to get a room this morning. Before that a guy tried to get one with his "old lady's" card, who wasn't the woman he was with.

Keeps the dealers and users out.