[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Two minor rants = 1 official rant.

1) Your diet is boring, and no one cares. I mean, I get it, you're bored, hungry (starving, literally), and cranky cuz you're starving, but seriously, IDGAF. Shut the hell up.

2) My spouse is (very very probably) going to get fired from their job in the next... 3 weeks or so? And they don't seem to care. They've barely looked for jobs and haven't applied to any that I know of. I bugged them non-stop until they updated their resume, and that took over a week. They're the primary wage earner in the household and I'm stressed out of my mind about the change in finances, and even though I've mentioned this they just shrug it all off. It's probably because they're a bit depressed about the whole thing, but at the same time they're saying that they rather want to get fired cuz they are unhappy there, so I don't know. Either way - ARG!

Two minor rants = 1 official rant.

1) Your diet is boring, and no one cares. I mean, I get it, you're bored, hungry (starving, literally), and cranky cuz you're starving, but seriously, IDGAF. Shut the hell up.
How passive-aggressive is it to post that when you know @GasBandit can see who posts anon messages but can't really reply? :p

I have to give my dog up. There's several reasons but mostly we just can't afford his health needs. It's really breaking my heart. We've started contacting shelters and rescues to see about their foster care programs. It's kind of overwhelming.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I don't think that I'm capable of writing a post that actually sounds anonymous.[DOUBLEPOST=1513168051,1513168020][/DOUBLEPOST]Looks that is.
I went out hunting Pokémon with my kids, got hives from the snow, took beautiful pictures, and then Pud and my hobo did something weird.

:p

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I went out hunting Pokémon with my kids, got hives from the snow, took beautiful pictures, and then Pud and my hobo did something weird.

:p
That totally could have been me but it wasn't!

The funny part is that I'm sitting here on the couch editing pictures on my MacBook with Pud sitting next to me in a room full of stuffed Pokemon and my arms and legs are covered in hives because I think I may be reacting to the antibiotic I'm on :)

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I went out hunting Pokémon with Li'l Z, ran into Eli Manning, got a picture of him eating a banana, and then Mr Z did something weird.

I am listening to a young dipshit hipster talking trash about the OT. "ESB isn't a very good movie on its own. I don't know why everyone makes a big deal about those movies."

If I had no self control, I think I would slap him. I just wish he'd shut the fuck up. It's bad enough that I have to hear him drone on about politics.

I am listening to a young dipshit hipster talking trash about the OT. "ESB isn't a very good movie on its own. I don't know why everyone makes a big deal about those movies."

If I had no self control, I think I would slap him. I just wish he'd shut the fuck up. It's bad enough that I have to hear him drone on about politics.
OT = Original Trilogy and ESB = Empire Strikes Back, ie: you're in a lineup for the new Star Wars movie?

How's my guessing?

fade

Staff member
What?

What?

There are amazing shots in ESB. The orange and blue Luke/Vader shots give me chills. Jeez, Luke's face half-obscured in Cloud City as he looks around the walls, framed by the background. The Falcon looping the clouds.

What?

What?

There are amazing shots in ESB. The orange and blue Luke/Vader shots give me chills. Jeez, Luke's face half-obscured in Cloud City as he looks around the walls, framed by the background. The Falcon looping the clouds.
The best part of the movie is the look of terror on the face of the newly promoted Imperial admiral as the Falcon finally escapes into Hyperdrive.

Dave

Staff member
We close on the house tomorrow. They raised interest rates TODAY. Not sure what affect this is going to have.

We close on the house tomorrow. They raised interest rates TODAY. Not sure what affect this is going to have.
Theoretically, the interest rates should have locked long before now, as long as you didn't pass the deadline to close.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Ok guys, I think my wife is legit mentally handicapped. So about a week ago she accidentally dropped her phone, and in the process of it falling/picking it up she made an order for 124 bucks that she didn't have in her account and then she immediately canceled the order. So, she cancels the order and the online store she bought from immediately refunded the money into her paypal account. So now paypal says she has 124 in her account with no pending payments (because you know it hasn't came out out). So she thinks she got a free 124 dollars. She then proceeds to spend said 124 dollars and when the payment tries to come out she gets hit with a 29 dollar insufficient funds fee and an e-mail saying paypal will try to take the money out again in 3 days. I guess she ignores the email and spends the rest of the money then got hit again today with another insufficient funds fee. She's not sure why they keep trying to take the money out of the account... The money that they refunded instantly before they got payment... She thinks she got 124 dollars for free and they should stop trying to take the money out of her account. I don't even know guys. I tried explaining it to her but she thinks I'm an idiot because she canceled the order so they shouldn't try to take out the money that they refunded BEFORE they received payment..

I've had to tell more than one person in my lifetime, "Even if the error is the bank's fault, they will always take the money back, and they always balance their books so they will eventually find any accidentally sent money and they will retrieve it. So whenever you think you got "free" money, know that it will always *always* ALWAYS be taken back out, and if you use it, you will suffer late fees, payment notices, and all the other problems that come with overdraft."

So don't feel too bad. It's not that she's dumb, she just thinks that if someone else makes a mistake in her favor, then she has a right to benefit from that mistake. It's a form of consumer entitlement.

More than a few people have been hit hard when the social security, or disability, or IRS, or another government organization made a mistake - sometimes over regular payments for several years - and then the government comes to correct the mistake.

You don't get to keep the results of a mistake, so it's better to just leave the funds alone, and always keep your balance positive by at least the amount of the mistake. (except in rare cases, and if you think you fall under them, you don't, but if you insist consult an attorney familiar with the laws in your jurisdiction)

Calling it a "mistake" seems to be easier for people having a hard time with the math than telling them they're wrong about the math.

Last edited:
When I was graduating college, I had a bank account there that I was gonna have to close, so I pretty much just used that for my last few months. When I went to close the account they said I should just write a check, deposit it in my other account, and call them to close it then.

So I did, about $1500. It went into my other account. And I waited for it to leave my college one. And it didn't. I waited 6 months and it never left the account. So I called up and decided to be 100% honest and tell the customer service guy what happened. He insisted (fairly rudely) that the money was in my account and what I described didn't happen. So I wrote another check and got another $1500 with 0 repercussions over 3 years later.

Not much of a moral there, just a weird thing that happened to me that's kinda relevant. I wish I didn't decide to keep spending from that account though.

I've had to tell more than one person in my lifetime, "Even if the error is the bank's fault, they will always take the money back, and they always balance their books so they will eventually find any accidentally sent money and they will retrieve it. So whenever you think you got "free" money, know that it will always *always* ALWAYS be taken back out, and if you use it, you will suffer late fees, payment notices, and all the other problems that come with overdraft."

So don't feel too bad. It's not that she's dumb, she just thinks that if someone else makes a mistake in her favor, then she has a right to benefit from that mistake. It's a form of consumer entitlement.

More than a few people have been hit hard when the social security, or disability, or IRS, or another government organization made a mistake - sometimes over regular payments for several years - and then the government comes to correct the mistake.

You don't get to keep the results of a mistake, so it's better to just leave the funds alone, and always keep your balance positive by at least the amount of the mistake. (except in rare cases, and if you think you fall under them, you don't, but if you insist consult an attorney familiar with the laws in your jurisdiction)

Calling it a "mistake" seems to be easier for people having a hard time with the math than telling them they're wrong about the math.
I blame Monopoly. The board game. If you draw this card, you get to keep the money, so people who played Monopoly might start thinking from an early age that this is how bank errors work.

Roasted a pound of hazelnuts for Kati.
Went about 3 minutes too long. They're not burnt, but they're definitely overdone.
Gonna have to postpone those cookies until I can get another pound to roast, now that the practice run is apparently complete.

--Patrick

Roasted a pound of hazelnuts for Kati.
Went about 3 minutes too long. They're not burnt, but they're definitely overdone.
Gonna have to postpone those cookies until I can get another pound to roast, now that the practice run is apparently complete.

--Patrick
I swear I'm going insane. We've moved to Oregon. Oregon had 99% of the country's hazelnut production in 2014. Can I find a single damn hazelnut? No.

I swear I'm going insane. We've moved to Oregon. Oregon had 99% of the country's hazelnut production in 2014. Can I find a single damn hazelnut? No.
Not even at Trader Joe's? That's where I usually get mine.
Figured out an almost infallible way to skin 'em, but it does make roasting them a bit more complicated (hence my troubles).

--Patrick

They've all been married off and have been having baby hazelnuts, that's why there're so many of them.

On the other topic - American laws suck :p Banking errors in your favor if gone unnoticed for...i t hink 3 months? Maybe 6? actually do work that way in Belgium most of the time. Note that I say "errors" and "most of the time", but I do, for example, remember a bank one year calculating and giving end-of-year interest on all of their accounts twice, and all clients got to keep their extra intrests. This was a few years ago when intrest was actually higher than inflation, luckily for the customers.

Not even at Trader Joe's? That's where I usually get mine.
Figured out an almost infallible way to skin 'em, but it does make roasting them a bit more complicated (hence my troubles).

--Patrick
Nah, the nearest TJ's is 2.5 hours away. We are supposed to get a Whole Foods in the "big" town in the next year or so, though. What's your nigh-infallible skinning method?

Nah, the nearest TJ's is 2.5 hours away. We are supposed to get a Whole Foods in the "big" town in the next year or so, though. What's your nigh-infallible skinning method?
Blanch 'em.

-Prepare a large mixing bowl filled with cold water and set aside.
-Bring a separate pot of water to a boil, dump in your favorite alkaline (I like to use a tablespoon or so each of washing soda and baking soda).
-Dump in your hazelnuts, return to boil for about 2-3 min.
-Stand guard over the pot, it'll try to boil over just like pasta. Also the foam will turn red, this is normal, but it will stain whatever it touches so watch it.
-Drain boiled nuts in colander.
-Immediately dump drained nuts into cold water.
-Skins will now strip off like magic...but you will now have what looks like the largest bowl of tea leaves ever to dispose of.

Because this actually softens the outer 1-2mm of each nut (like dried beans), it means that they should be dried again prior to roasting. This can be done by putting them in a food dehydrator overnight OR by putting them in an oven on low heat (150-180°F/65-80°C) with the door cracked open until they finish drying. The idea is to heat them all the way through to drive off all the water. You can tell they're done drying when they start to get a sheen of oil on them or when shaking them in your hand starts to sound like rattling dice. Then turn the heat up to 250°F/120°C to actually roast them. This was where I went wrong...I left mine on the "drying" stage too long and so ended up actually cooking them somewhat before I upped the temp, and so when I upped the temp to crisp 'em they ended up overdone.

--Patrick

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
So the moral of this conversation is that Superman III and Office Space have valuable life lessons to tell.