[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I turned away a girl who wanted to use "grandma's" card to try to get a room this morning. Before that a guy tried to get one with his "old lady's" card, who wasn't the woman he was with.

Keeps the dealers and users out.
I meant stores, not hotels.

Fraud is fraud.

More than once I've come in to work just as a guy who just rented a room was getting hauled off by state troopers, along with bag after bag of stuff he'd just bought with stolen cards.
But my point was more that I could go into Target or Home Depot right now, and use a $500 Visa Gift Card and no one would look at it or bat an eye.

But my point was more that I could go into Target or Home Depot right now, and use a $500 Visa Gift Card and no one would look at it or bat an eye.
Yeah, any time I say something like, "Can I see your ID, like it says to do on the back of the card?" more often than not I'm met with, "How surprising, nobody else ever asks."

--Patrick

I never have to show my card anywhere, I just stick it in the card reader and no one gives a fuck. I'm amazed that there are still places that actually check.
This entire region seems to be ultra suspicious of "new fangled" technology like credit cards and the internet, so almost everyone checks, unfortunately.

Well they might want to wake up and smell the future.

--Patrick
We're probably honestly in a "wait for the dinosaurs to die off" situation for a lot of the area, sadly. You are far, FAR, more likely to see a store (an actual brick and mortar store, much less a mobile/portable business) that has a sign on the door warning you that they only accept cash or checks; than you are to see one that says they no longer accept personal checks.

And the mystery has been solved. This isn't really a Visa Debit Gift Card, it's meant to be a pre-paid Visa Debit card, that can be refilled and re-used, and which is in my mother's name and registered to her address. So it goes back to her, and she can just transfer money like she probably should have from the start.

I was wondering, I’ve never had any issues with using a visa gift card, though as darkaudit points out you may have to show additional cards in some cases like room rental.

This entire region seems to be ultra suspicious of "new fangled" technology like credit cards and the internet, so almost everyone checks, unfortunately.
Well, come on, they're just now having to learn to pump their own gas, at night, in rural areas, in Oregon too.

I don't even get the idea of a credit/debit card being tied to a person. I'm perfectly at liberty to use my father's, brother's, buddy's cousin's best friend's card. As long as I have the PIN and the card, who are you to tell me not to? The number of times I've used my GF's card, or the other way around, because it's easier or more reachable....Pfft.

I don't even get the idea of a credit/debit card being tied to a person. I'm perfectly at liberty to use my father's, brother's, buddy's cousin's best friend's card. As long as I have the PIN and the card, who are you to tell me not to? The number of times I've used my GF's card, or the other way around, because it's easier or more reachable....Pfft.
With our regular cards, we do this all the time too. Hell, we even have the same PIN numbers because it's just easier that way. Either way, this one has been resolved.

I thought that Debit and Credit cards required ID technically?
Not the pre-paid credit cards that you can pick up in gas stations. As such, "Green Dot" Visas and other brands have become THE preferred method to move larger sums of money on the streets, when carrying lots of cash ain't a viable option. It's often seen in use by pimps/human traffickers down here.

I didn't realize that we were talking about that kind. I give those as gifts at Christmas especially to the kid's after school babysitter who gets a bigger gift as a special thank you (not this year as our kids are older etc but historically). I didn't know about that last part of how these are used though...[DOUBLEPOST=1515439150,1515439034][/DOUBLEPOST]Our kids have been home for half an hour and have been yelling the whole time. I thought that they had their headphones on, but no, we're just bellowing for shits and giggles.

I don't even get the idea of a credit/debit card being tied to a person.
Legally, the person whose name is on the front of the card has to sign the back of the card to accept the cardholder agreement. No signature = no acceptance of the agreement = card is technically not valid yet (even if it HAS been activated).
Likewise, there’s nothing (except convention and ethics) keeping someone from running up a bunch of charges on a card that isn’t theirs, and then having the card owner claim, “oh it was stolen that wasn’t me I don’t owe for any of that.”

—Patrick

Likewise, there’s nothing (except convention and ethics) keeping someone from running up a bunch of charges on a card that isn’t theirs, and then having the card owner claim, “oh it was stolen that wasn’t me I don’t owe for any of that.”
Well, that would likely constitute fraud and the credit card company might sue them if it's noticed.

Well, that would likely constitute fraud and the credit card company might sue them if it's noticed.
They’re definitely going to sue the person who actually made the purchases (if caught), but unless they can prove collusion, the cardholder might get off untouched (though unlikely to ever get another card from that company).

—Patrick

A win in that an alternative home the slightly split personality cat has been found. A rant in that the last cat in the house is now gone, and it's just me left in the house until I get everything I'm taking with me out.

And my mom doesn't know about any of this. If she knew it was a choice between paying the nursing home or the mortgage, she'd demand to come home immediately. And that only lasted a couple of months the last time. I am not equipped or financially able to take care of her, and I can absolutely not afford to take off work.

I have forgotten how much fluff bullshit high school English was, probably because I was the master of writing fluff bullshit and getting As on those assignments. However, my son has no ability to bullshit anything, and he has this research assignment, which would be fine, except he has to take an actual interesting topic and also turn it into a fluff piece about identity at the same time. This is going to be a god damned nightmare.

I have forgotten how much fluff bullshit high school English was, probably because I was the master of writing fluff bullshit and getting As on those assignments. However, my son has no ability to bullshit anything, and he has this research assignment, which would be fine, except he has to take an actual interesting topic and also turn it into a fluff piece about identity at the same time. This is going to be a god damned nightmare.
Schools ought to teach all their students to write like Isaac Asimov.

My weekly treatment is still causing hair issues even though I’m taking the supplements. It’s taking part of my eyebrows now too, which is super rude. It’s welcome to as much leg hair as it wants, but it seems to be all there.