[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

not sure where this places, but i think this will do...
so a classmate from community college from 10 years ago gave my cell number to a telemarketer who just called me to sell me an "excellent" business opportunity. I am not even mad at the telemarketer, but literally the last time this person talked to me was 5 years ago trying to sell me AVON or some shit at which point I told them to delete my number. Congrats you have now earned my personal ire...

GasBandit

Staff member
So the ISP situation I was stressing about recently just got confirmed to me... the lights are off at the office of one of our two ISPs, nobody's answering the phones or returning calls, and weeks of mail are piling up inside the door. The owner looks to have fired everybody and walked away from it.

It's a miracle our connection is still working. But I'm in crisis management mode because they handled our domain registration. So now I get to go through the fun of trying to reclaim ownership of our company domain and get it transferred into our godaddy account with the rest of our station-specific domains.

:aaah:

GasBandit

Staff member
How are you even allowed to do that?!

--Patrick
Methinks there will be some very litigious repercussions to this.

Apparently the 60% owner told the 40% owner to go fuck himself, locked him out of everything, and then just proceeded to neglect the business straight into the ground. The last two employees were apparently let go a month or so ago, and then 60% owner stopped even bothering to go into the office.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF GOVERNMENT UTILITY INTERNET!

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-l...gmonts-nextlight-fastest-internet-service-u-s

Too bad I don't live in Longmont anymore, I can only drive there and hijack my friend's wifi. (I am ranting because I don't live there anymore, so I am stuck with my not quite broadband that randomly lag stutters because we aren't important enough internet)
Basically this. Internet access run as a utility for the public good (like water, gas, or power) tend to be great because the government understands the value of upgrading and expanding the network... it's not a profit vs loss issue, it's just a service issue. As such, improving the network is always a top priority.

GasBandit

Staff member
I disagree that it is "automatically better because government, government rules private sector drools lol." There are failures in both the public and private sector, and the failure of this business was basically rooted in its majority owner apparently suffering a critical loss of give-a-shit while going through a divorce. Not to excuse what he's done, I'm just not even remotely convinced that it couldn't also have happened to me with a municipal org.

In fact, the actual internet service part of it is still, miraculously, working just as well as it ever has. I'm on it right now. The main concern is the domain registrar stuff. I've already backed up our webserver that they were providing hosting for. Push comes to shove, I can throw it up on a box here at the station - I just need to reclaim the domain first.

Reactions: Dei
i dont know whats making you mad, im honestly curious what what was wrong with the statement?
There are two ways to correctly pluralize "antenna." One is "antennae" (or "antennæ" if you want to get fancy), and the other is "antennas."
But someone here has gone and Ortegaed it all up into "antennaes" in their docs.

--Patrick

There are two ways to correctly pluralize "antenna." One is "antennae" (or "antennæ" if you want to get fancy), and the other is "antennas."
But someone here has gone and Ortegaed it all up into "antennaes" in their docs.

--Patrick
my advice is not to OCD otherwise the grammar SS will induct you into their ranks.

GasBandit

Staff member

--Patrick
These irritating errors keep cropping up in english like the tentacles of many octopiis.

That moment when you're trying to figure out what the smell in your car is, and then you realize you never brought your derby gear in last night. Ewwww

GasBandit

Staff member
These people never learn! Every time we get a body shop as a new customer, they always want their ad to start off with a "SKREEEEEEE-CRASH!" sound effect, and the salespeople always go along with it, and then I have to snarl and stamp my feet and ask them how many actual car wrecks they and their client want to be directly responsible for when our entire broadcast area slam on their brakes simultaneously.

AGH

AND NO YOU CAN'T HAVE POLICE SIRENS OR EMERGENCY BROADCAST TONES EITHER

These people never learn! Every time we get a body shop as a new customer, they always want their ad to start off with a "SKREEEEEEE-CRASH!" sound effect, and the salespeople always go along with it, and then I have to snarl and stamp my feet and ask them how many actual car wrecks they and their client want to be directly responsible for when our entire broadcast area slam on their brakes simultaneously.
Wouldn't having a lot of car accidents be good for business?

GasBandit

Staff member
Wouldn't having a lot of car accidents be good for business?
They usually come back with that. Depending on my mood, I usually tell them 1 of 2 things:

Bad mood:
"Yeah, but do you really want a new customer at the cost of somebody scraping their dead baby off the pavement?"

Good mood:
"People tend to not patronize the business that ran the ad that got them into the wreck in the first place."

Boy, there's nothing I like more than having to yell at a millenial for not giving a shit about what happens when he doesn't do his job.
You be careful doing that.
You might hurt his feelings.
If that happens, he might have an Instagrambolism or maybe a bad case of Twitterrhea.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You be careful doing that.
You might hurt his feelings.
If that happens, he might have an Instagrambolism or maybe a bad case of Twitterrhea.

--Patrick
I hate to do it, I like the guy, but it's gotten to the point where I'm going to have to tell the boss that I can't be confident that any given task I give the guy will be done correctly, or at all, and that he shows no concern for the consequences. I don't have the time to follow up and double check everything I give him to do, much less do them myself.

It's his first real job out of college. I kinda wish he'd gone somewhere else first, for his wake up call to how the real world works.

Well, maybe once he's had his epiphany, he can come back and be productive.

Or maybe he should only apply for work in fields that he actually cares about.

--Patrick

I hate to do it, I like the guy, but it's gotten to the point where I'm going to have to tell the boss that I can't be confident that any given task I give the guy will be done correctly, or at all, and that he shows no concern for the consequences. I don't have the time to follow up and double check everything I give him to do, much less do them myself.

It's his first real job out of college. I kinda wish he'd gone somewhere else first, for his wake up call to how the real world works.
Honestly, a large portion of my generation really just don't give a fuck about working... at all. Those of us with technology skills can always find employment because the boomers have refused to retrain and NO ONE wants to pay for a competent Gen Xer. More to the point, we know that none of the places we work at will ever earn our loyalty because we've seen what they've done to our parents. Why care about your colleagues and business when you already known they'll sacrifice your livelihood in a second for short term profit gain or to advance their careers?

It's not surprising that the current path to success in the digital age is...

- Do just enough to not get fired and to fly under the radar
- Work on your own innovative projects on your own time
- Quit as soon as you can to do something you care about

That said... toss his ass to the curb. If he's just making your life more difficult, you really have no reason to keep him around... and really, it's his own damn fault for not doing enough to stay under the radar. Don't work with him and wait for him to get fired.

fade

Staff member
Argh. My lack of social skills annoys me. I cannot seem to get it right. We have clients here today, and one of them looks at me point blank and asks, "Are you doing any projects in SE Asia?" So, my dumb social brain derps this as a direct question to me, and I derp back, "No, I work in R&D." As soon as those words left my mouth I realized that she wasn't talking about me personally. I mean, why would she? My boss hopped in immediately and answered the real question, but I'm sitting there stupid embarrassed. Now, I know I'm the only one thinking about this at that point, but that's because it's yet another in a series of social failures.

One thing--I'm looking at you Tumblr--I am NOT going to do is run away and hide behind introversion as a shield. Introversion is an explanation, not an excuse. I still need these skills. I need to exercise them like any other weak muscle until I get it right. I just completely blank on what to say next at conversation time.