[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
70 degrees through winter, snow in the forecast for Mother's Day. I love you Colorado.
My dad just sent me this from Colorado Springs:

"Ahhh springtime in Colorado, where snow is predicted for Mother's Day, and I-25 at Woodmen is closed for HAIL REMOVAL."

COShail.jpg

"Well, at least the kids got to make a HailMan."

unnamed.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm at Elitch Gardens right now for my son's jazz band concert. It's raining and 45.
Oh shit. Elitch Gardens. That takes me back. I'm astonished it's still there. Heh, next you'll be telling me... wait a sec...

(google google google)

Holy shit, Uncle Cliff's amusement park in Albuquerque is still operating too! It dropped the "uncle" part though.

Heh, a friend of mine just moved to Colorado Springs after living in New Orleans for the past few years. They must be having fun.

Meanwhile, it's nice to be in 80 degree weather without all that humidity. I think Taipei was easier in November than May, even though the temperatures were about the same.

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, a friend of mine just moved to Colorado Springs after living in New Orleans for the past few years. They must be having fun.

Meanwhile, it's nice to be in 80 degree weather without all that humidity. I think Taipei was easier in November than May, even though the temperatures were about the same.
I always tell people, if you're going to move to Colorado, you have to make sure you experience your first Colorado summer before your first Colorado winter.

I told that to an uncle of mine back in the day, who was moving there from Austin. I dunno if he didn't believe me, or if his work situation just wouldn't allow it, or if he didn't think much of what I say in general, but sure enough the poor dingus moved up there in October.

He was back in Texas by march. And this wasn't a trivial move, either... he'd had to find new employment for his wife, moved up there with his kids, bought a house, etc etc. All undone because of cold and snow and NOT LISTENING TO GAS BANDIT.

Four years ago this week, my first morning waking up in the Great North Woods of north central Wisconsin... was snow.

And all I did was move from the southeast part of the state (aka "Civilization").

I always tell people, if you're going to move to Colorado, you have to make sure you experience your first Colorado summer before your first Colorado winter.

I told that to an uncle of mine back in the day, who was moving there from Austin. I dunno if he didn't believe me, or if his work situation just wouldn't allow it, or if he didn't think much of what I say in general, but sure enough the poor dingus moved up there in October.

He was back in Texas by march. And this wasn't a trivial move, either... he'd had to find new employment for his wife, moved up there with his kids, bought a house, etc etc. All undone because of cold and snow and NOT LISTENING TO GAS BANDIT.
But we had a mostly beautiful 70 degree winter with a couple weeks of icy roads in February, and our obligatory April/May snow. Never got close to the winter my parents had, which actually made my mom say that she wants to move when she retires, which she has NEVER in her life even considered before.

Ugh, I've never been the jealous type but I've become weirdly so as of late. My best friend calls me and asks if I want to catch Ex Machina tonight. I say sure, sounds fun, just gotta see what the girlfriend wants to do. He tells me they already talked and we're gonna make it a double date with him and his girlfriend.

This irrationally pisses me off. I can barely get her to go to movies at the best of times (any movie, she always talks about how much she hates theaters) despite it being one of my favorite things to do and this fucking guy (who's been my best friend for 17 years) asks and it's OH OK, SURE!

UUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so fucking mad for so little reason.

Ugh, I've never been the jealous type but I've become weirdly so as of late. My best friend calls me and asks if I want to catch Ex Machina tonight. I say sure, sounds fun, just gotta see what the girlfriend wants to do. He tells me they already talked and we're gonna make it a double date with him and his girlfriend.

This irrationally pisses me off. I can barely get her to go to movies at the best of times (any movie, she always talks about how much she hates theaters) despite it being one of my favorite things to do and this fucking guy (who's been my best friend for 17 years) asks and it's OH OK, SURE!

UUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so fucking mad for so little reason.
If it makes you feel better, she probably said yes because she knew you'd want to go out with your best friend. She's thinking of you, putting aside her dislike of theaters, and saying yes to something she knows you'll enjoy, all the while you're getting angry at imagined slights, and probably haven't recycled in awhile either!

... I might be bad at making people feel better.

If it makes you feel better, she probably said yes because she knew you'd want to go out with your best friend. She's thinking of you, putting aside her dislike of theaters, and saying yes to something she knows you'll enjoy, all the while you're getting angry at imagined slights, and probably haven't recycled in awhile either!

... I might be bad at making people feel better.
I KNOW! FUCK!

I still feel jealous and pissy.

Also, Ex Machina was excellent.

Last edited:
Yay, a tiny section of the main road out of the bumblefuck area of CO I live in flooded enough to close, now I have to go the ass backwards way to get to civilization. Wooo.

I'm in a horrible amount of pain and I think I waited too long to take something :(
I twisted my neck or something and have been unsuccessfully throwing sleep at it for about 3-4 days, today I decided to start throwing NSAIDs at it, we will see what happens.

Also, I have determined that collectively the State of California does not know how to drive.
And I'm not trying to put 100% of the blame on the people behind the wheel. I mean the entire State, including the road commission or whatever department decides to arbitrarily connect and concatenate roads like they're trying to put 18 devices on three power strips under a desk. Want to go from HWY-A to HWY-B? Ok your exit is coming up.....nnnNOW! Oh, by the way it's only about 100yds long and bends at a 90° angle so you should probably slow down to 15MPH, just ignore all the black streaks on the concrete wall of the curve itself. Also once you exit there will be a traffic light that will be red for 5 SOLID MINUTES. It's to help prevent accidents. Just sit tight.

--Patrick

Four years ago this week, my first morning waking up in the Great North Woods of north central Wisconsin... was snow.

And all I did was move from the southeast part of the state (aka "Civilization").
That picture looks like March in MI.

--Patrick
one word for all of you, Minnesota. It was 82 yesterday and thank god its only in the 40's today. tomorrow we have, let me check, 62 with afternoon showers. HUZZAH!

Just as I went to bed last night, a fairly serious thunderstorm hit. I go to shut down my pc in case of power loss. I hit weather.com to see how big the storm is. It was just a tiny cell, then I notice that the chance of rain was 0%. No wonder I was not expecting it.

not sure where this places, but i think this will do...
so a classmate from community college from 10 years ago gave my cell number to a telemarketer who just called me to sell me an "excellent" business opportunity. I am not even mad at the telemarketer, but literally the last time this person talked to me was 5 years ago trying to sell me AVON or some shit at which point I told them to delete my number. Congrats you have now earned my personal ire...