[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

My wife isn't from around here, and a student asked her, "Is y'alls lab on this floor?" My wife replied, "I don't know where Yals lab is."
'Who's on 1st' hilarity ensued.

When I worked at Citibank, we had a pager rotation. Anything that was a "sev1" priority got us paged, and we had to go into the office, get on a national conference call, and work the problem. Sev1 meant that services were down. Citi lost something like a million dollars a minute when services were down.

So, I get a sev1 page, go into the office, get on a call with like 100 other people at 2am. Diagnose the problem, compile code and get everything back in working condition. Citi VP of operations asks "So, are you good to go?" and I say "I don't see why not." Get told "Well, I was really asking <head of call center>, but thanks."

You're freaking welcome. There were 100 other people on the call. How was I supposed to know who "you" was referring to? I'm the one that fixed the freaking problem.

Heh.

John Gutenberg, leading man of the Publisher movies. Man, that scene where Travolta's henchmen murder the guy's whole extended family was ridiculous. Especially that part where the great white shark eats his father.

There was never anyone named Steve Gutenberg in the Police Academy movies. Maybe you're thinking of the King's Academy series. Or Space Academy.

GasBandit

Staff member
The shit is hitting the fan about our hosting/domain problems.

So, turns out the fiber to our tower has been dark for at least a week. I guess the guy stopped paying Sprint, too. So all this time we've been going off a backup wireless DSL radio to, apparently, another colocation/hosting company I'd never heard of before. But now THAT place is experiencing connectivity problems, and our website is 99.9% inaccessible, and our internet streaming audio is down, and most worryingly of all, our incoming e-mail is getting badly delayed because the guy ran his own nameserver, which was the final link in our DNS resolution.

I'm afraid to call this place that has apparently been our lifeline for the last week, because it's just as likely they'll say "What? Jeff is out of business? Quick, turn off all his stuff! Sorry that you're screwed, guy!" and then our incoming e-mail will cease to work entirely. Turns out the guy was a reselling partner through tucows, however, which has the keys to the kingdom on our IP. I've been in contact with them, but they want 48 hours to try to get ahold of Jeff (good luck, I've been trying that all week, and I had his personal cell number!) before they'll even discuss doing anything for me.

Aggghhhh

That's... Kinda not what he was talking about.
That's my schtick, picking things that are related IF you rotate them 90 degrees (clock tower/time).

...however, I chose the song because if you go deeper, I felt the lyrics actually are relevant. It's a song about how people are so busy and/or self-absorbed that they can't see anyone/anything else. Our Gas would be the busy one, and Jeff would be the self-absorbed one.

--Patrick

The online dating scene at 30 in SoCal sucks. There's three options around here, date someone that's 10 years younger, deal with someone with kids, or don't bother because I don't love Jesus.

As someone who just turned 30 (and has yet to receive my wizard powers... what the fuck, 2chan!?), this is basically every day of life.