[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice line Gas. I didn't expect underground, but it works great. And thanks for keeping the "format" of the station. That's why we notched out the wood! We'll be glassing it in shortly as well to keep away skeleton arrows (still a danger on the 2nd floor), as well as making the staircase to the 3rd floor so there's room for further expansion.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nice line Gas. I didn't expect underground, but it works great. And thanks for keeping the "format" of the station. That's why we notched out the wood! We'll be glassing it in shortly as well to keep away skeleton arrows (still a danger on the 2nd floor), as well as making the staircase to the 3rd floor so there's room for further expansion.
Yeah, I didn't want the rail line obscuring the view from my monument to opulence, so pretty much had to be underground. of course, that meant spawn concerns, but I think between the fencing and the floor lighting, that's dealt with.

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks like 1.9 will be the release client, which means no more "real" patches until 11/11 (though there will be "prereleases" which the server won't be able to use).

Notch said:
Pre releases and Adventure Updates

The adventure update is going great! We’re adding features and cramming in content, and then started feature creeping and content creeping. What we’ve got on our hands now is somewhere in between a finished Adventure Mode update and a version of the game we’d be proud to call just “Minecraft”. Not “Minecraft Beta” or “Minecraft Alpha”, but just plain and simple “Minecraft”.
And we’re going to release that version of the game live on stage in Vegas at MineCon! Woooo!
Up until then, instead of trying to squeeze in another real release, we’re going to do weekly (or so) pre releases, aimed at advanced players. We release these via twitter, so make sure to follow me (@notch) and Jens (@jeb_) if you’re interested in those.
Also, we’re finally adding a dragon.

That sucks. I would have thought that 1.9 would be soon. Oh well.

Btw, on the Nether, who's building all the (seemingly random) portals all over the place? There's a number more that are fairly new, but aren't protected, etc. I'm wondering who's making them.

I might consider it. I usually play a whole lot of single player when I can since I don't trust online minecraft servers too much. I like what people have been going on this server but the fact no mobs are enabled turned me off completely.

BTW is 1.9 stable? I tried 1.8 a month back or so but the 2 sec lag pulses ruined it for me and have been playing 1.7.3 since.

There's multiple "worlds" on the server Jay. What we used to play (and you went wandering around on) is now called "Ragnar." "Caprica" is the new world that first came in with 1.8. Because of a mod, we can play on the server with both worlds up at once with different settings. The old Ragnar has monsters disabled, whereas the new Caprica has them on. There is also Adventureland which will be wiped periodically which has monsters on it, and "Skyworld" which is a series of floating islands which has monsters disabled. And of course the Nether off of Caprica which has the normal nether monsters (Ghasts, zombie pigmen).

So if you want monsters in order to play, go for it on Caprica.

Reactions: Jay

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly, lag hasn't been much of a factor lately that I've seen. If you're having 2 second lag spikes, I suspect the problem is on your end.
Added at: 12:59
Also, if you go wandering in a straight line again on caprica or ragnar, I swear by the rancid teats of shub-niggurath I will END YOU.

The latest maps of Caprica and Ragnar are a little stale (about 10 days old), but here they are:

Caprica 32 meg png

Ragnar 52 meg png

You didn't read. :)

1.8 played locally = lagging hard
1.7.3 no problemo.

And I already researched the issue and there were fixes for it but I went back to 1.7.3... didn't want to lose my previous Maple Leaf towers.

So... is 1.9 stable? :)

GasBandit

Staff member
You didn't read. :)

1.8 played locally = lagging hard
1.7.3 no problemo.

And I already researched the issue and there were fixes for it but I went back to 1.7.3... didn't want to lose my previous Maple Leaf towers.

So... is 1.9 stable? :)
If your 1.8 was lagging in single player, I don't know what to tell you. Didn't lag for me. Still doesn't.

1.9 is not stable, it's not even released. Server is on 1.8.1, which is the latest "released" built.

GasBandit

Staff member
In related news, the Canary dev team JUST NOW got out their 1.8-compatible build. Much as I hate bukkit, I have to say it was the right call to switch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nuclear bombs: devastating to everything except wooden boxes.
Added at: 13:28
Also, this could be intriguing:
Minecraft Service Outage
Oct 13 2011 17:55:06 by Deehem
We will be performing a full restart of all Minecraft services during the course of tomorrow. We don't have an exact time that services will be restarted as this is a lengthy process however this is likely to be between 9am and 6pm BST (GMT+1).

These restarts are to roll out several new exciting changes which have been incorporated into the latest Minecraft release. This will enable us to roll out updates instantly and provide pre-releases to customers without the intervention of a third party plugin. We thank the Mojang team for implementing these much needed changes.

We thank customers for their understanding. We aim to cause minimal disruption to service as possible.
Sooo.. pre-release versions might actually be an option... but if I had to guess, only in vanilla mode (no multiverse, no ragnar, no adventureland/creativeland/skyworld)

Sooo.. pre-release versions might actually be an option... but if I had to guess, only in vanilla mode (no multiverse, no ragnar, no adventureland/creativeland/skyworld)
IMO stay with 1.8.1 until the REAL 1.9 comes around. I don't have a problem with losing the "special" features, but I would guess that we'll have to "chop up" our map and such for some of the new stuff (mushroom islands for example) and I wouldn't want to have to have us do that multiple times when "that new feature" comes in that requires map generation. We already know that we're nuking the nether for nether fortresses, but what if another tweak comes? And another? And another? I'm already slightly wary to know if our fortresses (generated with 1.8) will have the portal blocks for travel to The End (Ender dimension) or not. Hopefully they already do, but if not, then those chunks will need re-generation (or mod placement of the blocks) as well.

So because of the danger of having to re-generate a LOT, I'd say stick with what we have until official. Yes a lot of the new features seem super-sweet (/drool at enchanting), I'd say wait.

GasBandit

Staff member
So some of you folks have probably already seen it, but I am posting it for the threadlurkers who won't come and play: The palace the little woman and I've been building in Caprica, design influenced by Belvedere Palace in Austria, but taken a lot of liberties with (and of course, the interior is entirely original/unrelated. It's not finished, the roof garden is barely started, and only the first floor's interiors are finished (out of 3), but hey, may as well have a look -

Front view:

front

Various indoor shots from the first floor:
ballroom

indoor pool area

billiards room

library

GasBandit

Staff member
On Caprica? Is it all natural materials or have you cheated?
Mostly legit. Most of the cloth is from CreativeLand due to 1.8 version animal shortages, and to get the grass on the roof I went and got a "grass square" from there as well instead of building a 3-story dirt staircase. Also, there's some blocks on the second floor that I got from storage on ragnar (like some "unmined" lapis, and because snow biomes were buggedly removed in 1.8, the snow blocks). But every. damn. cubic. meter. of that sandstone, wood, stone and glass is hand-dug in caprica (or adventureland). Look back at the last cartograph - see that immense flat area where the palace and rail station is? That used to be a giant sand dune. That's why we've been working on this for close to 5 weeks and it *still* isn't finished.

GasBandit

Staff member
"before" and "during" from previous cartographs... in process of downloading the caprica backup to make a current cartograph

Edit - as it is today -

GasBandit

Staff member
Credit where it's due, the little woman did most of the sand digging. Almost none of my "grand works" would have ever come to fruition if it wasn't for her - that includes old Castle Gasbandia, the Blimp, the Playa mansion... none of it.

Dave

Staff member
Bummer. My wife is...disinterested. I'd love to have her get into it. She'd be much better at it than I ever have been. I like the exploring/adventure part and she'd like the building/creating. So it would be her wanting materials and me getting them for her. It really would be the perfect partnership. (Pretty much like the rest of our marriage - we compliment each other very well.)

Sorry, Dave. Many's the time I have to drag Kati away from the keyboard at night.

EDIT: Tried to look at that cartograph, but all I got was a big cat butt 404.

--Patrick

I've constructed a few things in the nether around the portals. Every one there should be completely enclosed now (except one over the lava, it's in-progress). Not every one has a sign saying where they go, but a number of them do. I'll admit to have "hacked" a bit of the materials (creativeland) but given we're nuking it in 1.9, I'm OK with that for "this" nether.

Btw, to whomever constructed the sandstone enclosure (I presume Gas given the co-ordinates), know that sandstone doesn't resist ghast blasts. It's better than sand, but not by much. Now neither does glass (I've used that a bit deliberately) but if you thought it'd be as good as cobblestone, it isn't, so be aware. It will still break line-of-sight so they won't fire on you (even glass does that), but it will go "poof" when a ghast blast comes near.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, the sandstone one is me, and I assumed as much. But most of my forays into the nether involve ghast hunting (cause with magic carpet, it's FUN!).... so I'm not too worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.