Export thread

Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Limit: 500

noaxark

What's this then?
Minecraft is a game about mining and building things. I'm one of the admins on the Halforums server for the multiplayer portion of the game, where we build a virtual village monument to our madness. It's all very puppies and sunshine and you should join us. It's open for free to Halforum users and will stay open until meteorites destroy my apartment.

How do I get in?
We just got on a shiny new host, paid for by Dave. It's got mods that lets us set user access levels, meaning any new users logging in will be able to look around but not change anything. For security reasons, you need to ask an admin for a higher access level, preferably in this thread so you can introduce yourself to everyone at the same time.

Anyway, for now, you'll find the address right here:

Should you wish to speak with your fellow builders, there's also a Ventrilo server available at 66.135.59.124:3804.

Are there any rules of conduct?
I have a high opinion of this community, and I haven't really felt the need to articulate a list of do's and don't yet. Not all things are self-evident to a n00b though, so here are a couple of bullet points:
  • Don't be a douche.
  • Don't alter other people's creations without their permission.
  • Don't clutter the skyline with ugly things like single-block dirt towers. They can be seen from far away and ruin the view for everyone. Of course, dirt towers are useful as building scaffolds and are allowed as temporary tools.
  • Be VERY careful with fire. One spark the wrong way and you could burn a whole forest. If you look at the cartographs below, you can see that someone already started an accidental fire in the east. Funnily enough, it's frozen in time until someone comes within viewing distance -- when that happens most of the trees in that whole area will burn. I hope it'll look all scorched and bad-ass after that, but if it doesn't, I'll have to delete those chunks or generate new trees in an editor.
I just joined the server and blocks keep respawning as I mine them!

The initial player spawn point is protected from alterations. You'll have to move away from it to be able to change anything.

Where do I start building?
Don't be afraid to build where convenient. People tend to bugger off into the distance so as not to bother anyone. This makes it hard for others to see your stuff and the server difficult to navigate. An area that looks like a neighbourhood is also far more interesting than ones with isolated structures. If an area is empty and doesn't look like someone's backyard, it's yours if you want it. Should you accidentally build where someone doesn't want you to, I can always use my admin powers to move your work if it's above ground.

------------------

Ragnar admins
The admins are noaxark, GasBandit, twitchmoss and Dave.https://www.halforums.com/members/dave.1/

Ragnar player names
Some of us used different handles when registering for Minecraft. A list of known aliases follows, with the forum handle to the left and the in-game handle to the right.

noaxark - tabasko_saucer
Azurephoenix - Avatarus777
drifter - mr_bogus
Far - Farwielder
David - dave_terry
First Lady Puffinstuff - stienman
Gusto - kmiller52
TwoBit - 2_Bit

Maps of Ragnar
GasBandit and I try to render fresh maps of ragnar on a regular basis in order to track progress.

Click here for a high-res Google map of the server (last updated 2011-05-20*)
Click here for an archive of cartographs (last updated 2011-05-20*)http://An archive of cartographs can be found here (last updated 2011-02-28)..

*I tend to forget to update these dates.

Multiplay.co.uk http://www.multiplay.co.uk/server running hmod with the MinecartMania and MagicCarpet plugins. Read about them here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

MineCraft HF server info and game discussion

This is me subscribing to this thread.

Gusto

Gusto

:)

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

visit sunny ragnar!

SEE! the testament to gasbandits ego that is the worlds largest can of beans!

MARVEL! at the size of mount awesome!

GET LOST! in the maze of doom! (its 30x30 and made of solid obsidian!)

Gusto

Gusto

STUMBLE! into Moleville and never get out!

Far

Far

BEWARE! The lonely hermit to the north!

You know, being canadian, building my "little" shelter to the north was entirely coincidental but works out very well.

Gusto

Gusto

You know, being canadian, building my "little" shelter to the north was entirely coincidental but works out very well.
I built my structures on the southern beaches. :)

THAT IN MIND :

If anyone finds any clay and they don't intend to use it, let Gusto know! It's hard to find and I'd hate to switch materials after one floor. :(

figmentPez

figmentPez

Find random cow hide just laying around Gasbandia:

No really. I was just exploring the castle, when I came across two different piles of cow hide, laying there on the ramparts.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

In my single-player world I set out in search of new landscapes, hoping to find snow. I did not find a winter wonderland, but I did find...

Pumpkins!

I also found some pretty impressive landscapes:

The foundation for my minecart track can be seen on the right, eventually there will be a tower. This is the second expansion to my minecart system, out from my home. No pics of the first one because it isn't complete.

This would have been a dangerous area if I weren't playing on peaceful.

I found a lot of desert. I will never run out of sand now.

Notch needs to make clay more common.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That happens pretty often because of the royal gardens having cacti and open flames. Critters spawn on the grass, then get themselves killed and the items fall over the side.

In related news, I really ought to get around to re-wording the signs on the rooms and such... for some reason, copying them over erased all the signs.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I think I'm going to try and pop on later tonight and start building something... should be amusing at the least :)

Far

Far

Thanks for the recommendation of the RPG pack Noaxark, its gorgeous.

noaxark

I mentioned this briefly in the introductory post, but I'd like to elaborate. Someone* must've accidentally started a forest fire in the east, but then left the area, which halted the simulation and spread. The end result is a fire frozen in time, waiting for an unsuspecting passer-by to unleash an inferno of flames. I quite like that idea, actually, and if I find the time, I'll go there myself and record the whole thing with FRAPS.

*Oh, don't feel bad, man. Shit happens ;)

The frozen fire as it looks on the cartograph:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Isn't it entirely possible that it's just a ground level lava flow that his some combustible materials?

strawman

strawman

I mentioned this briefly in the introductory post, but I'd like to elaborate. Someone* must've accidentally started a forest fire in the east, but then left the area, which halted the simulation and spread. The end result is a fire frozen in time, waiting for an unsuspecting passer-by to unleash an inferno of flames. I quite like that idea, actually, and if I find the time, I'll go there myself and record the whole thing with FRAPS.

*Oh, don't feel bad, man. Shit happens ;)

The frozen fire as it looks on the cartograph:
I was wondering why that fire wasn't spreading from cartograph to cartograph. It makes sense now, though, it's not simulated until someone visits the area.

This has some wonderful implications for fortress protections and traps...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've built a level above the hell portal to start a sort of transit hub. As Notch is fixing minecarts (they already work to a large degree, just no additional chunks load while you're in it, an easy and quick bug to fix I would think), I've went ahead and built trams to and from Gasbandia to the central transit hub. As people (like, say, the dave guy who built his stuff way up north) start to get spread out, they could add levels to the transit hub and build a tram out to their site for quick and easy access.

I recommend waiting until after the next patch or so however to try out the tram to Gasbandia... as I mentioned, they're still a little bugged, and if you ride off the edge of the loaded terrain, it is possible you might crash in such a manner that you can't log back onto the server without noax closing and reopening the server exe.

If anyone needs a primer in how to boost mine carts (much faster than powered minecarts) I recommend the below video:

David

David

The marketing agencies have made their way into the server.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If anyone needs a primer in how to boost mine carts (much faster than powered minecarts) I recommend the below video:
I'd watch the follow up videos as well. Among other things they show how to build a more refined, slightly more compact return for the booster (uses two fewer track sections, isn't as wide). The more advanced stuff with redstone and automated cart delivery systems looks tough to plan out, but the better booster design is quite nice.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Hey Noa,

Have you thought of making an official Ragnar texture pack with the Painterly Custom Graphic Pack maker Thingy ?

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks to whoever dropped off iron, coal and especially clay to my household earlier! Although whoever left me a driveway made of wooden pressure plates - what's that all about?

Fnord, I dropped off some pumpkins I found at your front door, I know you were lookin' for some.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Nooo, my beautiful thread. I brought 15 pages of joy to the forums and you want to just kill it like that. :(

Cool, we have a server, thank you. :)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I started building a small structure last night... it's near that gigantic tree tower of fnordbear's... and thanks again for helping me out last night fnordbear (and others). Man the server was lagtastic though last night. Still fun, but it took a heck of a long time just to dig some dirt.

noaxark

I started building a small structure last night... it's near that gigantic tree tower of fnordbear's... and thanks again for helping me out last night fnordbear (and others). Man the server was lagtastic though last night. Still fun, but it took a heck of a long time just to dig some dirt.
I hear many people are simply turning their servers off awaiting a fix. I won't, though, since you people seem to have the patience of OCD sloths and will play in spite of anything :)

I will however restart the server occasionally, as it seems to help.

Hey Noa,

Have you thought of making an official Ragnar texture pack with the Painterly Custom Graphic Pack maker Thingy ?
Do you mean for clients or for use with Cartographer or both? In any case, I think people prefer to pick their own texture packs for their clients, and Cartographer crashes for me whenever I try to use it with PainterlyPack :/

FnordBear

FnordBear

Do you mean for clients or for use with Cartographer or both? In any case, I think people prefer to pick their own texture packs for their clients, and Cartographer crashes for me whenever I try to use it with PainterlyPack :/
Mostly I meant make a texture pack and add as an attachment to this thread for folk to download. Sort of a "Use this if you want, this is what the server admin considers the official look."

Anyway I have played off and on all night...time for me to rest a bit. Later.

noaxark

Mostly I meant make a texture pack and add as an attachment to this thread for folk to download. Sort of a "Use this if you want, this is what the server admin considers the official look."[/QUOTE]

I frankly don't see much benefit to it, especially at this point when people have already built their stuff with their own texture packs in mind. Also, I can't very well endorse PP when I prefer the RPG pack myself ;)

Baerdog

Baerdog

Speaking of texture packs, I found out how to make them work with the new menu system. The pack must be in a .zip folder that contains JUST the textures. So it should look something like texturepack.zip -> all the texture files, not texturepack.zip -> texturepack folder -> all the texture files. Then just upload the .zip folder using the in-game menu. Finally, my world is pretty again!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

So I'm putting an official land claim in here.

Hopefully this doesn't interfere with anyone else... I don't think it will as I was on there last night building and scouting around there.

strawman

strawman

I wish there was an in-game GPS (ie, display coordinates of character position) so we could officially claim sections of land. I worry about treading on other people's toes without realizing it...

Dirona

Dirona

New resident! Beachfront holiday house/area now under construction in the north/east on the inlet (just past the burma shave billboards).

Contractor seeks coal for the creation of glass - donations and tips on where to find some greatly appreciated.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Is there a way to change your name that shows up to people in Minecraft or are you stuck with the one you registerd with? I only ask because I have a feeling some people (myself included) have different names from their Halforums names. Maybe we could compile a list with peoples alternate names so we can know who is actually online? Just a thought anyways.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Is there a way to change your name that shows up to people in Minecraft or are you stuck with the one you registerd with? I only ask because I have a feeling some people (myself included) have different names from their Halforums names. Maybe we could compile a list with peoples alternate names so we can know who is actually online? Just a thought anyways.

Nope.

noaxark

Let's do a quick who's who, then. If your in-game name is different from the one you use here, post it and I will compile a list later. I go by tabasko_saucer myself.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

My in game name is Avatarus777.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Go by the same name as here. I'm neighbors with Far up north.

drifter

drifter

I am mr_bogus, the hermit down south.

Far

Far

Mine is Farwielder in minecraft, not that that's a difficult one to decipher. As Cheesy said, we started settling a bit north of spawn.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mine is quite obvious.

David

David

dave_terry. "David" tends to already be taken in a lot of things.

Dave

Dave

You guys are getting me interested in this and I thought it was boring.

David

David

One of us!!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

You guys are getting me interested in this and I thought it was boring.
Come on Dave... you can build a huge pyramid or something :)

Join us!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here we are, building this wonderous creatively-free-form idyllic world of peace and beauty. Our days are tranquil and productive. Our world is vast and unthreatening. We dig and build without care or concern beyond where we find our next particular desired resource.

One of these days, Notch is going to fix health/damage and monsters in multiplayer.

And then won't that be a sudden and violent climax, when suddenly skeletons, spiders, zombies and... creepers... start coming out of the dark places of our world? When night ceases being merely inconvenient from a luminescent standpoint and starts being a struggle for survival and protection of art, home and hearth? When the occasional ghast pushes through from the burning nether to rain destruction upon our works? When we actually have to start carrying swords and bows and worrying about how many arrows we have left and if we can make it home alive? Huddled in our artfully constructed homes, counting the minutes until the sun rises to vanquish the terrible night and burn its denizens away.

Damn, it's almost like a movie.

Sure you don't want in on this, Dave?

Dirona

Dirona

I am what I am. (ie no name change)

FnordBear

FnordBear

One of these days, Notch is going to fix health/damage and monsters in multiplayer.
And on that day my stockpile of arrows and my fire-making items will rain death on friend and foe alike.

*locks the doors to Humbletree Keep*

strawman

strawman

I'm stienman on the server.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That will also fix the tool durability reset glitch. So diamond tools are going to be harder to keep around.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

And on that day my stockpile of arrows and my fire-making items will rain death on friend and foe alike.

*locks the doors to Humbletree Keep*[/QUOTE]

Fine, be that way... see if I let you into my ziggurat... :(

FnordBear

FnordBear

see if I let you into my ziggurat...
You should ask Gusto about my obsession with tunneling....

Gusto

Gusto

You should ask Gusto about my obsession with tunneling....[/QUOTE]

Earlier today, Fnord and I collided with each other while tunneling at bedrock level.

That in mind, if anyone wants to fall out the bottom of the world, visit Level B9 of Gusto's Glass Mine.

Also, I'm kmiller52 in Minecraft.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I found this page on the Minecraft Wiki to be a very interesting read: Known Bugs

strawman

strawman

Earlier today, Fnord and I collided with each other while tunneling at bedrock level.

That in mind, if anyone wants to fall out the bottom of the world, visit Level B9 of Gusto's Glass Mine.

Also, I'm kmiller52 in Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys finding any diamond? Short of tapping Gasbandit's keg of heinz, I've not found any. I'm hitting a regular number of redstone deposits though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, I'm kmiller52 in Minecraft.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys finding any diamond? Short of tapping Gasbandit's keg of heinz, I've not found any. I'm hitting a regular number of redstone deposits though.[/QUOTE]

I found 6 within my first 2 hours of playing.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Are you guys finding any diamond? Short of tapping Gasbandit's keg of heinz, I've not found any. I'm hitting a regular number of redstone deposits though.
I've found diamond just fine. Didn't take much branch mining to unearth some.

How deep are you digging?

Rubicon

I've often wondered how the hell Gasbandit has found THAT much diamond.. You figure each diamond smooth block takes what, 9 diamonds to make? And his entire bean tower is made of nothing but diamond smooth blocks.. I giggle with glee when I find one or two diamonds underground and here he is sitting on the friggin lost city of diamonds :(

strawman

strawman

I've often wondered how the hell Gasbandit has found THAT much diamond.. You figure each diamond smooth block takes what, 9 diamonds to make? And his entire bean tower is made of nothing but diamond smooth blocks.. I giggle with glee when I find one or two diamonds underground and here he is sitting on the friggin lost city of diamonds :(
I suspect he didn't - he formed the can shape in the world, then perhaps edited offline and had noaxark put those chunks back into the server.

But it's just a guess, because that's a lot of diamond.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There's also a duplication glitch in the online inventory. It's risky, in that it sometimes duplicates, sometimes destroys, but it used to more reliably duplicate. I don't know if Gas made all this diamond before or after Notch tried to fix the glitch.

Also, admins can spawn whatever blocks they want, so Gas could have gotten help that way (but I think he said it was the dupe glitch at some point).

GasBandit

GasBandit

I didn't mine it, but I didn't map edit it either. Every single block of that can was placed by hand. But to GET the blocks, I memory hacked my client. Having a teal avatar is just too expensive I guess. While I guarantee you there are tons of diamonds around, to get enough to do THAT would have taken months upon months of bloating the size of the world. Even with the can being just as hollow as its real world counterpart.

If teal cloth was available (it is in classic, but not in Survival/alpha), I'd have used that instead.

But from generating previous worlds and looking at them in an editor, I'd roughly estimate that the game puts 3 or 4 diamonds on average in every chunk. The trick is just finding them in that 16x16x64 space (the chunk is technically 128 tall but you never find diamonds above sea level, which is exactly the midpoint).

I can also tell you that the diamond-lava connection is just a coincidence. They are both commonly placed around the same depth, and are both actually a lot more plentiful than one might imagine, so very often they're found close together - though I've seen diamonds off by themselves in solid stone, too.

Rubicon

:( Thats just cheating. I thought the cool part of us having our own SMP server was we built stuff like normal. I mean here some of us are slaving away building up resources, when we could just make a few edits and instant best materials there are. *sigh*

David

David

He cheated in order to build a giant can of beans. I'm willing to let it slide.

drifter

drifter

That will also fix the tool durability reset glitch. So diamond tools are going to be harder to keep around.
I did not know about that glitch. Sweet mamma jamma that is making my life a lot easier.

Rubicon

Can someone reboot the server? The lag is extremely bad at the moment. Theres a couple of us there and it's seriously unplayable. Before the block respawn bug was just a minor annoyance but now the lag is so bad that you can't remove any blocks at all really, and chat messages you enter are delayed by like 45 seconds.

FnordBear

FnordBear

There must be a creeper in the server code....

Would it be possible to restart the server daily around a certain time? Maybe that would proactively help until a fix is released?

noaxark

There must be a creeper in the server code....

Would it be possible to restart the server daily around a certain time? Maybe that would proactively help until a fix is released?
I've been doing so, even twice daily. Doing it right now, but it takes a while (initiated the shutdown of the server software 10 minutes ago). Something is definitely looping. I wonder if notch tests the updates on servers that are actually populated. I kind of doubt it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Exploiting glitches for tool durability in Minecraft?

What's the point of playing then? Might as well play your action games with God Mode on and your RPGs with Infinite HP/MP/GP.

*sigh*

I'll probably join the server when the danger is added back in.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Minecraft won't connect and the main page for the game is down as well. Wonder if someone is being an ass and attacking him again for not updating fast enough?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

What's the point of playing then? Might as well play your action games with God Mode on and your RPGs with Infinite HP/MP/GP.

*sigh*

You should come stake out a small parcel of land first complete with threatening signage :).

FnordBear

FnordBear

Minecraft won't connect and the main page for the game is down as well. Wonder if someone is being an ass and attacking him again for not updating fast enough?
Checked the official forums...looks to be a global/semi-global issues. So pretty much we just gotta wait it out.

In the meantime since the server has had an influx of forumites I wonder if they wouldn't mind tossing up a current cartograph of the server :D

Gusto

Gusto

Checked the official forums...looks to be a global/semi-global issues. So pretty much we just gotta wait it out.

In the meantime since the server has had an influx of forumites I wonder if they wouldn't mind tossing up a current cartograph of the server :D[/QUOTE]

I'm actually kind of apprehensive to see a new map. I feel like I've discovered new farther reaches in my ever-expanding search for northwestern clay deposits.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You should come stake out a small parcel of land first complete with threatening signage :).
While I wouldn't personally try and kill my fellow forumites, I might create passageways for the undead to find their way into some inner sanctums.... :twisted:

Besides, I don't set up "Keeps" or "Towers". I dig.... deep... and come up from below.

GasBandit

GasBandit

:( Thats just cheating. I thought the cool part of us having our own SMP server was we built stuff like normal. I mean here some of us are slaving away building up resources, when we could just make a few edits and instant best materials there are. *sigh*
Call it what you like. In a world where my only available blue building material is diamond, and I'm inspired to create, I didn't let the alpha state of the game stop me. As I said, if teal cloth from classic had been available, I'd have used that. But even WHITE cloth isn't working in SMP yet. Just think of it as a touch of the "classic" game in our SMP. And if that doesn't placate you, I'm beyond caring.

*sigh*

I guess the real danger here is revealing you don't have an imaginative/creative bone in your body and need to hit something to feel validated.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I guess the real danger here is revealing you don't have an imaginative/creative bone in your body and need to hit something to feel validated.
Yeah, but I get damn imaginative/creative with HOW I hit things. :slywink:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

But even WHITE cloth isn't working in SMP yet.
THAT is pissing me off about multiplayer right now. If I could gather the wool that I wanted like on single player, my building would probably be done right now. The only other material I can think of that would give me a similar look to what I was thinking of is steel, and that will take forever and a fucking day to get enough for what I'm planning.

figmentPez

figmentPez

On the subject of cloth in SMP:

@notch Could you also fix sheep? The shaving only happens client side (no-one else sees it) and this also means you cant pickup the cloth.
@Grumoaz that comes with server side health.

drifter

drifter

:rolleyes: Excuse me for not playing the way you think I should be playing.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Who said you couldn't? Do I really need to put a /sarcasm disclaimer?

I said it's the equivelent.

If you like playing that style, by all means, Game Genie to your hearts content. Way to get defensive over nothing.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Work on the castle has been progressing well. I've got the outline of all the walls laid out and in doing so have expanded my sky island right into the side of a mountain so it is now a sky peninsula. Such things will not be tolerated and the mountain will have to be destroyed for daring to be in my way.

Here is the east gatehouse seen from the inside of the courtyard and the completed wall section between it and the SE tower. The only thing missing right now are the crenelations.

And here it is from the outside.

Further down the wall, work progresses on the NE tower and its wall section which is about half complete.

Here is the view of the entry area from the second floor of the gatehouse.

I love watching the sun rise through these windows.

Here is a nice view from the south of where my walls will be. I'm not quite happy with the shape of the south and north keep buildings yet. I may extend then further into the courtyard. This south building is planned to have my minecart station and barracks.

Here is a better view of the north end. The great hall, guest suites, and royal chambers will go here. You can see where the site of my NW tower is currently built under the mountain.

So that's that. I can't count how many picks and shovels I've gone through at this point but I am pleased with the progress so far. I think it's going to look awesome when I finally finish it.

drifter

drifter

If you like playing that style, by all means, Game Genie to your hearts content. Way to get defensive over nothing.
:p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Noax, btw, I tried to go fraps the forest fire... it crashes your client when you get too close. Makes logging back in tricky. Recommend deleting whatever chunks have that fire in it.

noaxark

Thanks to some fortunate lag, I managed to get an x-ray of Mount AWESOME. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why it earned its name.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Hehehe

Lywinis

I wandered in because FnordBear wanted me to see the stuff he built, and I liked it so much, I decided to stay. I dug myself a nice little den not far from where his tree is, and I have made some renovations with his help.

drifter

drifter

Hey, did anybody drop by my place? I went in there and all of a sudden it is filled with trees :confused:

drifter

drifter

Just saw the new map of Ragnar. Somebody went exploring up north, and I'm feeling a little salty because there are a couple areas which would have been much better locations for my underwater abode :meh:

Gusto

Gusto

Somebody went exploring up north
Yo. ;)

David told me there was clay up by the beaches in his area, and he was right. But I needed MORE.

David

David

BRING ME ALL THE CLAY!

David

David

The welcoming sign to Lavapolis under construction.

FnordBear

FnordBear

David told me there was clay up by the beaches in his area, and he was right. But I needed MORE.

You have something waiting in your ground floor chest :3

Gusto

Gusto

You have something waiting in your ground floor chest :3[/QUOTE]

YAY!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Had a bit of a thought while looking at the lockers here at work.

Seems that folk on the server like leaving needed things around other's places. Thats pretty awesome really, do it myself :)

Was thinking for sake of convenience maybe building a "post office" so to speak near the spawn consisting of a number of 1 block trunks with a nameplate denoting the owner. A nice, central, and convient way to leave little gifts. Maybe put a "bulletin board" off to the side to put signs on containing short messages.

Any thoughts on this?

Dave

Dave

Sounds okay to me even if I will be more of a taker than a giver for some time. Finding materials can be hard with the population we have.

I played a solo game for a while yesterday. Let me just say that (1) I hate those zombie things that BLOW UP YOUR SHIT and (2) finding coal in the early stages is a pain in the ass.

FnordBear

FnordBear

If you need some coal on the server go the foundry in my tree, coal hopper is beside the furnaces. Feel free to take a little. I do regular resource expeditions.

Gusto

Gusto

Seems that folk on the server like leaving needed things around other's places. Thats pretty awesome really, do it myself :)

Was thinking for sake of convenience maybe building a "post office" so to speak near the spawn consisting of a number of 1 block trunks with a nameplate denoting the owner. A nice, central, and convient way to leave little gifts. Maybe put a "bulletin board" off to the side to put signs on containing short messages.

Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like a good plan. I suggest building a post office either at/near spawn, or possibly under the minecart hub where most people have directions to their districts (where there is currently an inoperable hellgate).

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

You'd have to lift the spawn construction/destruction law for a while, but having it there would be easiest. Everyone knows how to get to their location from spawn, and everyone can get there by using the /home command.

noaxark

Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like a good plan. I suggest building a post office either at/near spawn, or possibly under the minecart hub where most people have directions to their districts (where there is currently an inoperable hellgate).

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

You'd have to lift the spawn construction/destruction law for a while, but having it there would be easiest. Everyone knows how to get to their location from spawn, and everyone can get there by using the /home command.[/QUOTE]

I'm all for this idea, but I think it'd be best to have it at, under or near Central Station, so it's accessible by minecart. I'd rather keep the spawn free of such distractions and temptations*. Besides, it's not far, and people would have an easier time getting back home.

*Subject to change as the server matures. Once minecarts work properly and we have a more established userbase, along with a more complete infrastructure, I'll consider moving the spawn/home to inside Central Station to give people quick access to all connected territories. Adding rails might become a problem, depending on the reach of the protection. I'm hoping it'll become configurable in the future.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Mailboxes have been constructed south of the spawn beside the transit hub. Signage is up pointing out the way to it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fnordbear's Mailbox... VS... FLAMING COW! ha ha.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm so excited... free dirt stacks for everyone! ;-)

Actually, it's a nice idea... I'll probably set up a mail box in there when I get a chance.

noaxark

Mailboxes have been constructed south of the spawn beside the transit hub. Signage is up pointing out the way to it.
--- snip ---
Cool! I suggest writing "Ragnar Post Office" or something instead of "Mailboxes", though :)

FnordBear

FnordBear

Fnordbear's Mailbox... VS... FLAMING COW! ha ha.

Dont mess with the postal service.

Cool! I suggest writing "Ragnar Post Office" or something instead of "Mailboxes", though

Done and done.

I kept the design of the mailboxes simple if we need to expand them any for easier add on. Styled them after the mailboxes at the apartments I live in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Why... do you have a watch? In a world where day and night are (for the moment) purely cosmetic?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Why... do you have a watch? In a world where day and night are (for the moment) purely cosmetic?
Because it so pleases me.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I have a quick question... is there any way to collect leather at this point?

Also, do tree leaves decay in multiplayer the way they do in single player or do you need to smash them to make them go away? Do they still spawn saplings from them? I only ask because I have harvested a few trees and didn't get any saplings from the leaves I broke.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I have a quick question... is there any way to collect leather at this point? Also, do tree leaves decay in multiplayer the way they do in single player or do you need to smash them to make them go away? Do they still spawn saplings from them? I only ask because I have harvested a few trees and didn't get any saplings from the leaves I broke.
See post office screen shot #2 for how to collect leather :3

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Will the fire from a flint and steel actually kill the cows?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Will the fire from a flint and steel actually kill the cows?
Yes

However when setting critters on fire aim for the square under them, not the critter themselves.

I have used this to good effect, I am stock piling arms and armor for when monsters get turned on. Have a full set of leather and enough materials to make more.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Can you use this tactic on chickens to get feathers and pigs to get meat too? (I need to stockpile stuff in my ziggurat of doom).

GasBandit

GasBandit

you just gotta be careful not to burn the items when they pop out. And of course be careful not to burn down THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Re: Saplings - yes, you still get them from leaves. You've just had a run of bad luck. Leaves are supposed to decay, but there's a bug in the current version that makes it so they don't.

Gusto

Gusto

What the hell? Somehow a whole stack of brick blocks has gone missing from my inventory. This isn't something I'd destroy, give away, or even store in a chest. Actually, I was specifically saving up the 168 blocks it'll take me to build another floor on my tower.

God damn.

GasBandit

GasBandit

were you online during a server reboot?

Gusto

Gusto

were you online during a server reboot?
No I've been on pretty sparingly all day.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

you just gotta be careful not to burn the items when they pop out. And of course be careful not to burn down THE ENTIRE WORLD.
I'll be careful... I would feel pretty bad if fnordbear's awesome tree fort went up in smoke.

Does anyone know who built the eye of sauron that's watching over my ziggurat?

Gusto

Gusto

Fnord built it, I watched him with some degree of amazement.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fnord built it, he claimed the meds made him. And then made him, in some kind of bizarre fit of altruism, name it "Community Tower."

Because nothing says "community" like the UNBLINKING EYE OF THE DARK LORD.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Because nothing says "community" like the UNBLINKING EYE OF THE DARK LORD.
Seriously... I feel like ringwraiths are going to come by and inspect my building...

"Bagginnnsssss.... Shiiiiirrrrre!!!"

Shawn

Shawn

Been trying to get in on this, but there doesn't seem any way to do so. The webpage REDACTED --Gusto doesn't lead to anywhere. Can't find it on the massive and unorganized Multiplayer section of minecraft webpage.
ARG!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Been trying to get in on this, but there doesn't seem any way to do so. The webpage [deleted].com doesn't lead to anywhere. Can't find it on the massive and unorganized Multiplayer section of minecraft webpage.
ARG!
This post is so very full of fail. /facepalm.

Ok, here's how you do it.

1) Buy minecraft for 15 bux.

2) download the game

3) run the game

4) click "multiplayer"

5) when it asks for "server address," put in the address.

6) remove the site's actual address from your post so it doesn't show up in search engines/attract vandals.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Okay, I think I'm officially insane. I've started leveling an acre of ground to turn into farmland. 64x64 squares. I'm not sure how long it will take, but it's going to be a lot of work.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Okay, I think I'm officially insane. I've started leveling an acre of ground to turn into farmland. 64x64 squares. I'm not sure how long it will take, but it's going to be a lot of work.
Have you seen how much ground I flattened to build my ziggurat? I don't think it's quite 64x64 but let me tell you... especially with the block reappearing glitch... you're going to have your work cut out for you.

drifter

drifter

Whoever left that gift in my dome (was it you, noaxark?), super muchos gracias :)

FnordBear

FnordBear

he claimed the meds made him. And then made him, in some kind of bizarre fit of altruism, name it "Community Tower."

Never underestimate what sounds logical to me when I am taking my prescription narcotics.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Have you seen how much ground I flattened to build my ziggurat? I don't think it's quite 64x64 but let me tell you... especially with the block reappearing glitch... you're going to have your work cut out for you.[/QUOTE]

It took a good number of hours to flatten the land upon which castle Gasbandia was built... and that was with two of us working.

Gusto

Gusto

I collected 12 stacks of clay tonight but I think the area I was in has more. I marked a nearby island nearby with some torces so hopefully we'll get a new render soon and I can head back there. :)

FnordBear

FnordBear

Gusto,

Check your mailbox by the spawn.

Consider it a gesture of good will towards a mutual self-defense pact....for when the creepers come.

Rubicon

When the creepers come, remember there is safety inside of Moleville, all are welcome. We provide labyrinths to most major areas of the world in well lit tunnels that won't spawn things (when mobs are back on).

FnordBear

FnordBear

Have you connected with the Fnordian mine system?

Rob King

Rob King

Oh god.

It's killing me that I don't have a home internet connection here. I want to play on a group server so bad, and you guys sound like you're having so much fun. And I can't quite come to the Cyber every day just to play hours of Minecraft.

I will be checking up on this thread. Maybe I'll post some screens of the fort I'm building when I'm done with it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Woo! Thanks for the TNT! That will help in clearing farmland.

Any advice on how to make the most of it? I've never used TNT before.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Woo! Thanks for the TNT! That will help in clearing farmland. Any advice on how to make the most of it? I've never used TNT before.
1) Dont put near anything you dont want blown all to hell

2) Dont use it for resource gathreing, it destorys 74% of all blocks

3) On a MP server dont use it when server is lagging

4) Dont use more than a block at a time.

5) Place block, hit block, run from block

noaxark

Whoever left that gift in my dome (was it you, noaxark?), super muchos gracias :)
Heh, no. What was it?

I find myself spending most of my time on the server building secret stashes and placing trivial signs. Anyone else like this? I need a project!

...aaand I just found it, speaking of secret stashes. Pirate cave!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Anyone else like this?

Goonies never say die. ;)

Edit

Also I have been pondering gathering some gravel, flowers, signs, and stones and making little Shinto-style shrines in random places with fortune-cookie sayings.

drifter

drifter

Heh, no. What was it?
Like figmentPez, some TNT.

I find myself spending most of my time on the server building secret stashes and placing trivial signs. Anyone else like this? I need a project!
Also I have been pondering gathering some gravel, flowers, signs, and stones and making little Shinto-style shrines in random places with fortune-cookie sayings.
Those ideas are both awesome.

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

Any advice on how to make the most of it? I've never used TNT before.
TNT will blow away a roughly 3 block radius of dirt, 1 block for stone. If you need to clear a lot of area, digging trenches radiating away from where you place the TNT will increase the amount of area you blow up.

Gusto

Gusto

So as my immediate neighbours are aware, I've recently built a big giant-ass greenhouse full of wheat on my property.

You can feel free to help yourselves to some wheat from time to time (which acts as a renewable food source when the monsters and damage become activated), just make sure to not trample any plants that are growing, re-till any land that you do trample, and remain a conservationist - try to replant whatever you harvest. :)

Depending on how much wheat I stockpile before monsters are active and fixed, I might start "mailing out" stacks of wheat of my own accord. I've already got enough to heal something like 160 hearts of damage.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Now if only we could "grow" some other "weeds" :3

Dave

Dave

Have we opened up monsters, then?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Have we opened up monsters, then?
Not as of yet, but the game is nearing the point where health/damage works in multiplayer and when that does Noax has said he will enable monsters. Several of us have started stockpiling arms and armor for the day that occurs. I myself have a dedicated armory for weapons and associated gear and a dedicated larder/pantry for healing stuff.

noaxark

...the game is nearing the point where health/damage works in multiplayer and when that does Noax has said he will enable monsters.
Keep in mind this assumes that notch has sorted out enough performance issues for the server to keep running smoothly.

On another note, my landlord is FINALLY beginning work on bringing the town's already-in-place fibre network into their apartments. They were unsure when they'd get to my building but promised anywhere between next month and next summer -- the latter being the likeliest -- so it's still a bit off, but it's better than the "soon, we hope" schedule they've had for the last two years.

In any case, when that happens, the server will run on a high quality 100/100mb fibre optic line, a huge upgrade from the comparatively measly ADSL2+ Annex M line it's currently on.

strawman

strawman

I'm getting a timeout in connecting to the server...

Dave

Dave

Note to self: Next time you build a swimming pool make damned sure you build it close to some fucking water!!!

drifter

drifter

Note to self: Next time you build a swimming pool make damned sure you build it close to some fucking water!!!
Make a 2x2 hole with water source blocks in opposite corners: infinite water supply

noaxark

I'm getting a timeout in connecting to the server...
Yeah, I was doing some optimisation (see the first post). Let me know if you guys notice any improvements in performance.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Folks!

I spoke to Noax privately to make sure this was OK to announce:

I am starting a little contest on our server. I have created 7 little "shrines". The first person to post screen shots of all seven of them will win a nifty prize!

"Ok Bear what is this about?"

Well it is simple! I have decided to spice things up a bit and get folk to explore a little beyond their build sites!

"Ok Bear, but what is this prize?"

I have in my possession something call "Lightstone". Lightstone is a nifty material only found in the Nether (currently not accessible in SMP). The contest winner will receive 10 lightstone blocks!

"Ok...but what is so neat about Lightstone, and why only 10?"

Light stone is a permanent light source when placed that puts out light equivalent to daylight, it looks really cool, and once the Nether becomes available in SMP you would have to harvest -90- lightstone blocks to create 10 of the placeable lightstone blocks I have up for grabs!

"Ok...so where do I look for these 'shrines' Ragar is a big place!"

Well here are a few hints:

1) Shrines are all out doors. None are underground.
2) There is 1 up north. 2 in the middleands, 2 to the south, 1 in gasbandia, and 1 in the frontier to the east.
3) All shrines are within view of human construction.

"How do I know what to look for?"

Each shrine is one block with a torch on it, some water, gravel, flowers, and a sign with a bit of wisdom on it!

"Ok so I found them, what do?"

Simple! Just post screenshots of all seven shrines! First to do so will have a special delivery to their Ragnar mailbox!

Other notes:

I am going to put an arbitrary deadline of Noon, Nov 19 (Eastern time), If no one has won the contest by then I will pick a random winner to have a little gift appear in their mailbox :3

Have fun!!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Damn it Fnordbear... I must have the lightstone!!!!

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

damn bank account problems >__<

how long until beta?

Dave

Dave

I wonder that, too.

BUt something of note. If you do an image search on Google for "minecraft mineral chart" we are #1. FigmentPez does it again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Good thing we stripped the server address.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Ha... no kidding...

Anyone else having any luck finding FnordBears little shrines? I've only found two... I think I need a compass because I keep getting lost easily.

Dave

Dave

I have found none of them. But I didn't look that hard...yet.

Gusto

Gusto

I stumbled across one of them while looking for something else.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Indiana Phoenix and the Temples of Fnordbear.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hehe... nice :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gusto

Gusto

Inception soundtrack made that video. :)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Diamond swords should glow when hostile mobs are near.

drifter

drifter

I just did some rough calculations as to how many cubes I need to clear in order to finish my dome... D:

Is there any way I can barter for some more dynamite?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I might have to start building randomly hidden dynamite shrines at this rate :p

drifter

drifter

I'll cut a bitch for some dynamite ;)

Gusto

Gusto

I have I think 7 crates of dynamite that people have given me that I haven't used yet.

drifter

drifter

I have I think 7 crates of dynamite that people have given me that I haven't used yet.
Do you still want clay? I've got some if you're interested in a trade.

Gusto

Gusto

Do you still want clay? I've got some if you're interested in a trade.[/QUOTE]

Sure. Leave it in my mailbox, I'll hit you up when I get home from school.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Half the fun of Minecraft (to me at least) is exploring and finding stuff. I jsut try to promote this :)

Now if ONLY there were some way to make treasure maps.

drifter

drifter

Done :)

drifter

drifter

Damn, I went up and down the southern arm like three times before I realized I was going too far south. Anyway, here's the seven shrines.

Dave

Dave

Figures he'd win this. OCD beats casual every time.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Damn, I went up and down the southern arm like three times before I realized I was going too far south. Anyway, here's the seven shrines.
I shall deposit your prize in your mailbox when I get home from work! Congrats!

These should look pretty awesome in your grotto, be sure though not to mess up when placing them...if you mess up and have to break it they dont turn back in to a block.

drifter

drifter

Thanks for putting up the contest! Fortunately, while searching I found some pumpkins, so I can make jack-o-lanterns and test where I want to place them first.

Also, thanks Gusto :)

FnordBear

FnordBear

Fortunately, while searching I found some pumpkins, so I can make jack-o-lanterns and test where I want to place them first.
....when you are done with them Ill trade you some TNT for the pumpkins

drifter

drifter

Sounds good! Might be a couple days though; I'm a little burned out on the dome project right now.

FnordBear

FnordBear

No rush, its not like I planted landmines in your dome.... *shiffty eyes*

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I was up to four shrines ... and I figured I'd have last night to find the rest... but I had to spend time with the wife and son instead. Casual = pwned....

Gusto

Gusto

Is it possible to destroy minecarts?

drifter

drifter

I was up to four shrines ... and I figured I'd have last night to find the rest... but I had to spend time with the wife and son instead. Casual = pwned....[/QUOTE]

I didn't even start looking until last night. You guys had a two day head start! Slackers :p

Dave

Dave

I can't find anything there. There's no coords, a compass is difficult to make at our level of mining (unless someone gives, which I'm not asking). You need to be able to set multiple spawn points or at least change it.

drifter

drifter

You could download the server map. I have found it helpful if I have lost track of my bearings.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I can't find anything there. There's no coords, a compass is difficult to make at our level of mining (unless someone gives, which I'm not asking). You need to be able to set multiple spawn points or at least change it.
Just shout out to me on the server, I have plenty of stuff to make a compass with, gladly make you one.

Drifter: You have a prize in your mailbox

Azure: Good try, I will try to come up with a new contest soon that should be a little easier for casuals :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Since the compass points to the spawn point, and not straight north, I've always found it to be of limited use.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Since the compass points to the spawn point, and not straight north, I've always found it to be of limited use.
Honestly... Notch should really make the compass work like a real compass and not the stupid spawn pointer. I don't even know which way is north in our server...

drifter

drifter

I saw someone build giant arrows in the sky that point in the cardinal directions, labeled accordingly. Does that sound like something worthwhile to implement on the server?

strawman

strawman

Or, you know, you could observe the direction the sun/moon/stars are moving in (they move enough to be noticable) and infer direction based on that.

Doesn't help underground, but then neither do floating cardinal signs (which would only work for a portion of the world anyway).

What I want is a GPS that tells me what block I'm at so I can reliably connect tunnels, map my underground caverns, and so forth.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Hey Gusto, check your mailbox. It is relevant to your interests to do so.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Building big arrows is unnecessary. The clouds always move north.

noaxark

Sweet. I didn't know that. Been using the spawn and central station as reference (the former being north and the latter south).

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Thanks, I needed a point of reference and that will do nicely.

Gusto

Gusto

Hey Gusto, check your mailbox. It is relevant to your interests to do so.
:Leyla:

Holy shit man, thanks.

strawman

strawman

Actually, a big arrow would be nice if it showed up on the cartographs. In game it would be largely pointless.

Baerdog

Baerdog

What if the arrows were on fire?

Gusto

Gusto

Man dem letters are big.

drifter

drifter

Hey FnordBear, looks like it'll take me a while to figure out what I'm gonna do with that lightstone, so I left half of the pumpkins I found in your mailbox. I'll drop off the other half whenever I finish.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Screw Farmville, I've got Minecraft!

My acre of farmland is coming along nicely.

Though, this is really annoying:

Phantom seeds! None of those are collectable. They all exist on my computer, but not on the server.

There are also patches in my farm where seeds just won't take. I'm not sure why. (EDIT: Doh! I may have just realized why. Some uncleared tree leaves may be blocking the light to those squares. This warrants further investigation.)

The other day I saw movement, and upon investigation I found this:

Cows riding mine carts! The visuals were a little glitchy, but they were just looping around and around.

David

David

Randomly wandering around, stumbled into a big-ass cavern. Seriously HUGE. I filled up my inventory with coal, redstone, 4 stacks of iron, some gold and even a couple diamonds, and eventually I had to leave due to full inventory/out of torch material, but even then there were still entire branches of the place I had yet to explore. Pretty awesome stuff.

Gusto

Gusto

Phases 1 and 2 of the Gusto billboard are complete:

Some of the guys came out to see it:

najamesk1

Heya Halforums

Long time lurker, Decided to join after watching a coworker frequent these forums.
didn't help that you guys have a minecraft server either.... minecraft is like crack...

i havn't set up a 'camp' yet on the map, still working on getting a few base tools. the only thing i left on the map so far is just a workbench and an empty chest.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Well no one else was doing it....

drifter

drifter

Whoa, just checked my mailbox, thanks FnordBear :wtf:

FnordBear

FnordBear

Whoa, just checked my mailbox, thanks FnordBear
Whachu talkin 'bout?

noaxark

I updated the first post a bit with some rules regarding distribution of the server address. I want you to be able to play with your friends and family, but I also want to give people unlimited access once they're committed to the server. This means that slots are yours to offer, but they ARE limited and shouldn't be handed out like christmas cards. Prioritise your girl/boyfriend before the fat guy across the hall ;)

Oh, and David, be more careful with your lava in the future. A forest fire started in Lavapolis and got pretty big. A couple of guys were kind enough to put it out for you, but the landscape probably looks pretty rough by now, since they had to build dirt towers and such to reach the flames. Let me know if you want new trees and I'll see what I can do.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Noaxark

Drifter and I managed to put out the forest fire in the north and took some preventive measures to try to keep that from happening again.

noaxark

Noaxark

Drifter and I managed to put out the forest fire in the north and took some preventive measures to try to keep that from happening again.
And the citizens of Ragnar thank you for your brave efforts! ;)

Which reminds me that I need to delete that frozen forest fire to the east. Don't go there before then, lest your very souls will be annihilated (and you will have to log off).

Gusto

Gusto

Man! What happened?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Man! What happened?
Too much exposed lava up north sparked a forest fire. Most of the biome was on fire.

Several water buckets and lots of explosives later...its out.

Dave

Dave

Heya Halforums

Long time lurker, Decided to join after watching a coworker frequent these forums.
didn't help that you guys have a minecraft server either.... minecraft is like crack...

i havn't set up a 'camp' yet on the map, still working on getting a few base tools. the only thing i left on the map so far is just a workbench and an empty chest.
Welcome! You using Najamesk1 on the ragner server?

Have fun, man!

najamesk1

Heya Halforums

Welcome! You using Najamesk1 on the ragner server?

Have fun, man![/QUOTE]

Yea, im using najamesk1 on the server. i made a small stone hut to the south? of the bowl, or UFO. I'll probally build out from there i guess, toward the water source near everyone else. Im not as creative as everyone else, but i'll be cozy when im done

drifter

drifter

Whachu talkin 'bout?
I found a full stack of diamonds in my mailbox. I assumed it was you.

Dave

Dave

Isn't that illegal?

drifter

drifter

Perhaps one of the mods was feeling generous?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I haven't even collected a full stack of iron yet...

Of course, you guys have mined the main area so extensively I don't really count of finding much while I'm quarrying for stone.

David

David

I'm sorry about the fire, guys. I was watching it unfold, than after a while didn't see it spread to any more trees, I figured it had already burned down all it could reach so it would be safe to leave the still-burning logs there as torches.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, don't look at me. I ain't gived ya sheeit.

Maybe I better go see if any diamond blocks are missing from the can :p heh

strawman

strawman

Well, don't look at me. I ain't gived ya sheeit.

Maybe I better go see if any diamond blocks are missing from the can :p heh[/QUOTE]

Cheese it, it's the cops!

GasBandit

GasBandit

According to notch's blog, looks like the update will come monday. From the sound of things, he only started coding on it today :p

1 day work week. Lovely.

strawman

strawman

According to notch's blog, looks like the update will come monday. From the sound of things, he only started coding on it today :p

1 day work week. Lovely.
You speak as though you wouldn't do the same thing... :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

1 day work week. Lovely.
You speak as though you wouldn't do the same thing... :D[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's entirely envy talking here. That, and reappearing-block frustration.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

I noticed somebody built a pub by the mailboxes. In my opinion, it needs to be bigger. Who built it, and would you mind if I helped you enlarge it? I have a little experience building taverns (I've got a two story inn with bar and rooms in GasBandia).

FnordBear

FnordBear

I noticed somebody built a pub by the mailboxes. In my opinion, it needs to be bigger. Who built it, and would you mind if I helped you enlarge it? I have a little experience building taverns (I've got a two story inn with bar and rooms in GasBandia).

Go ahead mate, I was just bored and messing around when I built it.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Fnord, do you mind if I do some work on the road that goes by your tower? I already overhauled the road that goes by my ziggurat but I just wanted to ask you before I start tearing stuff up.

GasBandit... the new patch... does it contain the stuff for survival multiplayer? If so... I have major work to do... because the interior of my ziggurat will turn into a rampant pit of death (big hollow unlit interior).

Dave

Dave

That and I need to start getting ready for the onslaught.

Will we be having PvP adventures? Like have everyone show up with the same armor/gear and have a last-man standing kind of thing?

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

That assumes we can hurt each other....

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I actually want to build a fighting pit inside my ziggurat... for duels and such silliness.

I believe there will be a PVP option that the server admins can enable and disable. I'm sure it will be enabled on our server... >:)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, the monday update includes monsters, damage, and PvP.

Notch said:
The few hours I’ve been able to work today, I tried getting SMP Health as complete as possible. It will be released early next week.
Here’s the status:
* Send attack network data: DONE
* Add the ability to attack other entities: DONE
* Implement falling damage: NOT STARTED
* Implement respawning for dead players: PARTIALLY DONE (there are bugs with the player keeping the current location in some circumstances instead )
* Make eating food regenerate health: DONE
* Send health updates to the players: DONE
The “attack entities” code is done on a general level, so you can hurt animals, monsters, boats, carts and even other players.
There are a couple of other tweaks in the next update as well:
* Fix leaves. Again: DONE
* Optimize the lighting update slowdowns: STARTED
* Make players riding carts or boats a long way receive terrain updates: DONE
* Fix the block re-spawning bug: NOT STARTED
* Add “pvp” toggle flag to the server settings: NOT STARTED.
Having looked around at our areas, I have the feeling we'll be too busy fending off creepers, spiders and the undead to make too much war on each other. A great many of us, myself included, went for the aesthetic over the defensible, and used a lot of "mood lighting" (read: dimness) that will be spawning skellies all up in our grills fo' sho', ho'.

And then when portals start working in SMP again... imagine a ghast loose in downtown Ragnar.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Fnord, do you mind if I do some work on the road that goes by your tower? I already overhauled the road that goes by my ziggurat but I just wanted to ask you before I start tearing stuff up.

Go for it

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Hey folks

If you get a little tired or bored with a project try this:

I have buried little treasure cache's all over the map.

Some caches are junk
Some are useful
Some are TRAPS!
One is....Epic...

The only hint:

X marks the spot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

AP said:

Go for it
Just for the record, that was AzurePhoenix who said that, not me.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Weird...musta misclicked something

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

GasBandit is above meagre road building duty ;)

Hey, is that stupid thing where the deeper you go in the earth, the more light you need to stay safe still in effect? I'm going to have to do some serious lighting upgrades in my rock quarry.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hey, is that stupid thing where the deeper you go in the earth, the more light you need to stay safe still in effect? I'm going to have to do some serious lighting upgrades in my rock quarry.[/QUOTE]

Notch mentioned something about possibly taking that out, as it just didn't work like he wanted it to. It's likely it'll get cut, considering the outcry from the community.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey, is that stupid thing where the deeper you go in the earth, the more light you need to stay safe still in effect? I'm going to have to do some serious lighting upgrades in my rock quarry.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I built the road that goes from my hovel, through the trees, all the way around to GasBandia :p I've done civil service!

It's unclear whether the new monster spawn code is going back in this update.

I am, however, SUPER PSYCHED that the minecart system will be fixed this update. The tram between "downtown" Ragnar and GasBandia Rail Terminal will finally function, and we can start also setting up other transit hubs closer to our more far-flung denizens, like up by Lavapolis and down by... whatever the hell drifter's calling his dome.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hey, I built the road that goes from my hovel, through the trees, all the way around to GasBandia I've done civil service!
I know... just bugging you :).

I think in light of the monsters coming I may start elevating some of the roads three or four blocks high just so people can walk along them safely. I'll probably start tonight.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey, I built the road that goes from my hovel, through the trees, all the way around to GasBandia I've done civil service!
I know... just bugging you :).

I think in light of the monsters coming I may start elevating some of the roads three or four blocks high just so people can walk along them safely. I'll probably start tonight.[/QUOTE]

Might need to fence them on either side too, for some protection against arrows fired from ground level.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Do the fences block arrows? I'm guessing they must... I may put some fencing on the sides when I can. I was thinking of using stone for now though... I haven't been able to gather much timber.

drifter

drifter

we can start also setting up other transit hubs closer to our more far-flung denizens, like up by Lavapolis and down by... whatever the hell drifter's calling his dome.
I think I shall name my realm driftopia. Maybe throw up a huge sign a la David and Gusto :)
I've also been thinking about building an underground tram that would connect my dome to Ragnar proper, but for the time being I've already bitten off a bit more than I can chew. Gonna be a busy weekend if I want to finish before the update.

I may put some fencing on the sides when I can. I was thinking of using stone for now though... I haven't been able to gather much timber.
I'll drop some lumber off in your mailbox. I got a crapload while putting out the fire in Lavapolis.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Do the fences block arrows? I'm guessing they must... I may put some fencing on the sides when I can. I was thinking of using stone for now though... I haven't been able to gather much timber.
the wood parts do. And it's very hard to hit somebody from below with an arrow behind one, especially if they are moving.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I was over at Edrondol's scoping out his remodeling after he accidentally burned down his rustic log cabin (lol)... and I found moss nearby afk. So I did what any good, normal person would do-

I completely entombed him in a layer of cobblestone surrounded by a layer of wood.

And then no sooner do I finish then he comes back and says "Hey! What is this?! Where am I?!" and starts slowly digging his way out, fairly peeved off.

It was hilarious. Then he tried to entomb ME while I was laughing at him, but I moved :p and then Ed came out and yelled at us for being on his lawn.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'll drop some lumber off in your mailbox. I got a crapload while putting out the fire in Lavapolis.
I haven't built a mailbox at the postal hub yet... but there is a chest sitting outside of my ziggurat that you could put it in (and you can help yourself to some dirt stacks if you need them lol).

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

I was over at Edrondol's scoping out his remodeling after he accidentally burned down his rustic log cabin (lol)...
Dave burned down his cabin? AHAHAHA!!! Sorry... but that is hilarious :).

Gusto

Gusto

Don't PVP me bro.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Also, maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember a large portion of Gas' minetrack being made of monster spawner blocks. That could be painful.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mossy Cobblestone. Not Monster Spawner. Mossy Cobblestone is safe. It's the blue cage thing that does the spawning. It just so happens that mossy cobblestone only naturally occurs around monster spawners.

Gusto

Gusto

Just making sure because I'm using a customized painterly pack and don't remember what I set dungeons to look like.

If no one minds, I plan on destroying the eyesore lava fountain to te south in order to fuel some of the lava I'll need for my sign.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was over at Edrondol's scoping out his remodeling after he accidentally burned down his rustic log cabin (lol)...
Dave burned down his cabin? AHAHAHA!!! Sorry... but that is hilarious :).
Obligatory!

figmentPez

figmentPez

No, fences do not block arrows. Not completely anyway.

Also, be aware that the game won't let you walk on fences, even if you can get high enough to get on top of them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I was constructing the inn in gasbandia, I accidentally burned it down twice, both times after it was almost completed. The first was a fireplace mishap just like this... the second was me putting it too close to the lava moat.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hey, is that stupid thing where the deeper you go in the earth, the more light you need to stay safe still in effect? I'm going to have to do some serious lighting upgrades in my rock quarry.
No, Notch reverted that back to the original code. He realized it wasn't fun to have no indication if an area had been made safe or not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If no one minds, I plan on destroying the eyesore lava fountain to te south in order to fuel some of the lava I'll need for my sign.
Irony.

David

David

Lava signs are awesome! :angry:

PatrThom

PatrThom

No, fences do not block arrows. Not completely anyway.
I've been shot over my fences before in single-player. Get's the ticker a-pumpin'.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Introducing myself. Eriol, Dirona's husband. She's been on there a while and has a place in the north. Not 100% sure where I'm going to build right now, but looking at the map for inspiration. I want to get SOMETHING prior to monsters being enabled though.

In-game name is eriolancalagon. Is there a way to change that, or are you stuck with your account name?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Fnordbear, the Azurephoenix will always be a staunch ally and I thank you for your gift of ore. It put a big smile on my face when I logged on :).

I built us an elevated walkway/fort as a thank you... hopefully I can extend it and it will prove useful in navigating at night when there are monsters about.

Eriol

Eriol

I've claimed some land in the near north, just south of Dirona's land essentially, but well before the massive statues that flank the road (nice job whoever did that btw). I've signed it (a regular sign) as Eriol's Hall. Pretty simple for now, but I intend to essentially make a massive underground complex that looks like almost nothing has been done when looking from the outside.

All I ask is in the surrounding land (I may fence it) to practice "sustainable lumber practices" in the area. If you harvest a tree, re-plant it. And don't dig randomly into dirt or you may break through into my home! Other than that, I'll have a weird "he's there, but invisible" way of doing things.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, it's almost too late to matter, but I think I've figured out a way to avoid the respawning blocks bug. I've done a lot of testing, and I don't think it's just my imagination, but try not moving your mouse while mining blocks. You can move with the keyboard as much as you want and harvest multiple blocks, as long as you don't move the mouse around while doing so the blocks will get mined just fine.

Someone else should test this, to see if I'm just imagining things, but it's really worked well for me. Especially when dealing with leaves (which used to be my bane).

Dave

Dave

I've found it doesn't happen as much if I pause in between blocks. If I just hold the button down it happens a LOT.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've found it doesn't happen as much if I pause in between blocks. If I just hold the button down it happens a LOT.
If I don't move the mouse, I can clear whole rows without releasing the button. (It's like playing Pyro in TF2, W+M1)

drifter

drifter

Someone else should test this, to see if I'm just imagining things
Thus far it seems to hold true for me as well.

Also, FnordBear, left the rest of my pumpkins in your mailbox.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Also, FnordBear, left the rest of my pumpkins in your mailbox.
Kinky!

Adam

Adammon

before the massive statues that flank the road (nice job whoever did that btw).
Thanks! I wanted them bigger it's hard to judge how big they can be before I start running into the top/bottom of the world.

FnordBear

FnordBear

it's hard to judge how big they can be before I start running into the top/bottom of the world.
Build a dirt stack to the skybox to use as a ruler :)

FnordBear

FnordBear

Do not idle within the borders of fnordia lest ye be sponged.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

I'm keen to join in the fun and get me a piece of land before monsters are enabled. I know I'm a lurker to most people but a few might remember me from my little eve stint. Hopefully see you guys in game soon

Dave

Dave

We know who you are. Hard to be dubbed a lurker with 134 posts!

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

Wow, 134? If you take away my lurker status what will I have left? WHAT WILL I HAVE LEFT???

strawman

strawman

Wow, 134? If you take away my lurker status what will I have left? WHAT WILL I HAVE LEFT???
18 rep, apparently.

najamesk1

Do not idle within the borders of fnordia lest ye be sponged.

LOL

Thats actually a Ghost.

I was riding a boat, and the next chunk didn't appear, and I rode off the edge of the water, and it crashed minecraft.
Disconnected/reconnected and had an out of body experiance.
this happend around... 6am this morning, its now 1:15, and my ghost is still there....

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

There is a small hidden treasure in the dense forest north of the great can of baked beans.

there might be more soon....

FnordBear

FnordBear

Welcome to Fnordia:

Land of megaliths, minefields, and ghosts.

Wahad

Wahad

So I caved in and bought minecraft. I will join you guys with the same name as here as soon as I get used to the game (read: 1/2 days).

Dave

Dave

Play solo on peaceful for an hour or so. Use the Minecraft wiki to help you with the crafting & blocks info. Then add monsters for a little while.

Then join us. Profit!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Humbletree Keep has now sealed it's gates and it's eccentric ruler is patrolling the battlements with weapons at the ready.

What have you done to prepare for the coming Monsterocolypse?

strawman

strawman

Humbletree Keep has now sealed it's gates and it's eccentric ruler is patrolling the battlements with weapons at the ready.

I have built a graveyard to store my corpses. It can hold about 10,000 of me, so I suspect it'll take at least a week or two for me to fill up completely.

David

David

I extended the glass dome around my walkway and completed the sky minecart track. I can hopefully get to anywhere I need to go without running into monsters.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I wonder...

If/When Notch codes in the ability to portal between servers...will we face invasions from other realms? Could be kinda cool.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I fenced in the Post Office. When you're getting your mail you should be safe from creepers, zombies and spiders. Skellies will stil be able to shoot you, though.

I think I've also secured my home and farm, but I'm not sure. I'm even less sure of my mine and the under-farm.

Eriol

Eriol

I've recently broken into an utterly MASSIVE cave system about 30-ish blocks below my hall. Just south of the big statues. It's so big I have NOT secured it yet, because it's literally too winding. So I set up a door and have light quite a ways from the bottom of my mining shaft. I will secure with monsters present, as I'm not that afraid.

Hopefully when monsters come, critters will too, as pigs make good eating!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yopefully when monsters come, critters will too, as pigs make good eating!
Meh. I've got enough wheat to feed a small army. At least I think a large chest full of stacks of wheat should feed a lot. That's enough to heal 2,880 hearts worth of damage.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wonder...

If/When Notch codes in the ability to portal between servers...will we face invasions from other realms? Could be kinda cool.
Only if those on the other servers know our server's IP.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This is awesome

Dave

Dave

Notch is going mad with power. MAAAAD!!!

I’m definitely going to add hardcore mode to the game where dying will destroy the world. I’m not sure how it would work in multiplayer, though.. Perhaps you could get “banned” from the server until the world resets if you die on a server running hardcore mode.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

User response to the above idea from Notch...

Maybe when a player dies, they're forced into the body of a "ghost" player that can no longer interact with the world, but rather simply watch the living and chat with their fellow deceased friends.

Then, at night... the dead players inhabit the bodies of monsters. Creepers, skeletons, and zombies- now with the intellect of actual people. Minecraft suddenly becomes a dead versus living survival, the undead against the miners.

And then... when the last player has been killed, the server begins anew and sends everyone to a loading screen. A new world is started, the old one is removed, and everyone is back inside their blocky bodies to try and survive again.

Of course, this whole thing could be completely optional. I just think it would make being dead more fun, and it would make those who are remaining more on their toes. Oh no, my friend got killed... which means he's been forced into the army of the undead! And then imagine the other possibilities. Maybe your friend doesn't want to be hostile, so you just end up with a friendly Creeper following you around, maybe blowing himself up to clear away some of your less favorable friends.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Maybe your friend doesn't want to be hostile, so you just end up with a friendly Creeper following you around,
But we already have a friendly creeper on our server...

Dave

Dave

So this may be a dumb question....But how do you change your character's skin again?

FnordBear

FnordBear

So this may be a dumb question....But how do you change your character's skin again?
First have a skin you want to use
click preferences
upload it from there.

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Something that went through my mind a few nights ago, the player skins are stored on the minecraft servers and broadcast to players when they log in to an SMP server. It might be neat to have (within limits) blocks that players place show up using whatever art pack they are using...obviously could lead to types of griefing but might be mighty cool to see if done right.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Was working on a new project over the weekend in northwest Gasbandia - GasBandia Airways.

Not quite done yet, still need to put on the engine pods and put the text on the side of the gas bag, but here's a couple snaps of the outside.

The gondola has 3 decks (crew, common and sleeping), has 9 passenger sleeping cabins (which can accomodate 2 people each, and separate accomodations for 10 crew plus captain's cabin), dance floor, stage for musicians, bar, kitchen, plenty of seating and windows.
I should have taken shots of the inside but it was late (XP)
The terminal is northwest of Castle Gasbandia, just north of Gasbandia National Forest (the tallest trees anywhere, protected by decree against logging so don't mess with em :p), on the borders of the Land of Madness.

Jiarn

Still using item editing or was that fully pulled from mining? None the less, very very impressive.

Dave

Dave

He cheats.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'd like to thank whoever keeps dropping off supplies in my ziggurat, my guess is it's you Fnordbear. The coal was much appreciated as well as the special nether blocks. I actually quite like the stacks of them on the big plateau lol. Thanks again.

FnordBear

FnordBear

my guess is it's you Fnordbear
Dunno what you are talking about....though if I did leave stuff laying around there might be a surprise inside >.>

Gusto

Gusto

Screenshots!

The completed Gusto sign!

Shown from further back on the bridge, also showing the greenhouse and Gusto Tower:

Daytime, with a durrface:

A view of the sign, the greenhouse, and the Skymine from the top of Gusto Tower:

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Dunno what you are talking about....though if I did leave stuff laying around there might be a surprise inside >.>
Well, Someone put like 200 coal in my coal hopper, gave me a bunch of those light blocks from the nether as well as a big stack of the slowy blocks and the fire blocks from the nether.

I know the iron ore was from you though since you signed the shipment :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Still using item editing or was that fully pulled from mining? None the less, very very impressive.
He cheats.
There's no other way to get cloth currently. Or hell-lights for that matter, and those are ALL OVER the server so let's not start the ragnar high horse stable service just yet :p As for the tail fins, just call it yellow cloth for now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

At lunch I took some pictures of the interior of the gondola - See our spacious passenger areas, our sleeping accommodations (available in either single large bed or two twin beds), our friendly and prohibitively expensive cocktail bar, and our dance floor and stage.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I've been busy building fortifications all over the place as well as sticking torches everywhere I can around my ziggurat. Now I just have to finish my lava defenses...

noaxark

Be sure to check out the new 50 megapixel cartographs. Looking pretty sweet!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've been busy building fortifications all over the place as well as sticking torches everywhere I can around my ziggurat. Now I just have to finish my lava defenses...[/QUOTE]

I've constructed a well lit, enclosed underground/underwater compound with trees, wheat and other essentials. Gasbandia itself is... well, let's be realistic. Gasbandia is too large to be defensible in any way shape or form from zombie apocalypse. The castle itself should be pretty secure as it is all well lit and enclosed, but the townspeople had better shutter themselves in at night because even though the town itself is well lit, there's nothing stopping monsters from creeping in from the surrounding areas. Gasbandia will be using offense as its best defense - weapons and armor.

I still need to put more torches on the inside of my giant bean can. It stays rather dark in there, day or night. And there actually is a house in there that I'd like to continue using occasionally.

On an unrelated note... Adammon, I still can't believe the precision and speed with which you built that monstrous sphere... and I WATCHED you do some of it. Crazy. In anything big I build, I have to stop every so often to back off and look at the whole thing to make sure it's all still going correctly... you were just a goddamned machine churning out level after level with no break.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm planning on continuing my elevated wall/parapet back to the spawn point and then to any other locations that people might be interested in. I want to have at least one safe route that doesn't depend on a minecart.

GasBandit... your stuff is way too cool and makes everything I've built thus far look like a giant dump.

Adam

Adammon

On an unrelated note... Adammon, I still can't believe the precision and speed with which you built that monstrous sphere... and I WATCHED you do some of it. Crazy. In anything big I build, I have to stop every so often to back off and look at the whole thing to make sure it's all still going correctly... you were just a goddamned machine churning out level after level with no break.
I like playing with Orbs :)

najamesk1

Ive got my radio tower walled and fenced with, I hope, more than enough lighting. I wanted to make a tram rail to get closer to the mailbox/pub area, but, i doutb i'll be able to finish that before the zombies come.

on a second note, Hidden treasure hasn't been found yet. Look for it in the Dence forest just north of the great bean can. Its small, but should be helpful when monsters are turned on.

Gusto

Gusto

Man looking at those new cartographs makes me realize there is so much cool stuff you guys have built that I have just never seen in-game. Seeing the giant sphere, Fnord's latest bomb site, Fig's giant farm and the dirigible the length of Fnordia Bay is all very impressive. :)

It is also really gratifying to see my lava billboard from space, even if it IS backwards.

drifter

drifter

So, I remember reading someone mention the double door glitch. Messed around and figured out a way to get it to work, although it's not a very elegant solution.

So it works, but you'd need a good bit of depth underneath the doors in order to do so. The way I did it, you need a minimum of three blocks of floor depth if you use repeaters to build the circuit far away, or five blocks to build it on the spot.

I did a pretty messy job, so if anyone is interested in refining the layout (please, stienman?), that'd be swell.

Eriol

Eriol

Are minecarts usable in multiplayer? I thought they could only be destroyed by lava, and other weirdness.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm planning on continuing my elevated wall/parapet back to the spawn point and then to any other locations that people might be interested in. I want to have at least one safe route that doesn't depend on a minecart.

GasBandit... your stuff is way too cool and makes everything I've built thus far look like a giant dump.
You too can build awesome big cool stuff. My advice? COBBLESTONE FIRST. Nothing's more irritating than screwing up in something that takes 5 seconds per block to dig back out and correct. It takes longer to rip out cloth with ANY implement than it does cobblestone with a diamond pickaxe.

Ive got my radio tower walled and fenced with, I hope, more than enough lighting. I wanted to make a tram rail to get closer to the mailbox/pub area, but, i doutb i'll be able to finish that before the zombies come.

on a second note, Hidden treasure hasn't been found yet. Look for it in the Dence forest just north of the great bean can. Its small, but should be helpful when monsters are turned on.
Heh, maybe that's why nobody's found it... that's where my hermit's hovel is... with big signs all around it saying KEEP OUT :p

Are minecarts usable in multiplayer? I thought they could only be destroyed by lava, and other weirdness.
They work to a point, they can only be destroyed by wierdness and the world doesn't load more chunks while you ride them (and riding into an unloaded chunk crashes you and leaves a copy of your player avatar on the server until next reboot).

The patch coming this week is supposed to fix those issues.

In the meantime, if you happen to pay a visit to Gasbandia, there are two minecart tracks just north outside of the Rail Depot. They both are safe to use under current buggy circumstances (though sometimes the one on the right gets stuck and you'll have to walk back). The one on the left just does a lap around gasbandia, sort of a tour of the sights... the one on the right is more of a rollercoaster that goes up down around and underground and back again.

Both of these get around the need to destroy a cart simply by dropping the cart at the end of the line onto a pad in an un-railed space. To start again, you simply nudge the cart onto the rail and get in... and the boosters SHOULD do the rest.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So, I remember reading someone mention the double door glitch. Messed around and figured out a way to get it to work, although it's not a very elegant solution.
Is that in single player or multi? I could not get doors to respond properly to redstone in SMP. The doors would open on a signal, but they wouldn't shut again afterwards.

Got a nice pic at sunset on my farm.

Gusto

Gusto

Why does it say ELAN above your field?

Wahad

Wahad

I have entered, and project VASE*, phase one, is already complete. Project VASE can be found just past the ''Megatree'', which in itself is just past the post office in the eastern direction. Anyone that can spare glass, sand, coal or buckets, please leave it in my post box. Much obliged!

*Virtual Aquatic See-through Edifice.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I like playing with Orbs
That means two things.

I kid I kid :) Epic sphere :)

drifter

drifter

Is that in single player or multi?
That video is in single player. However, I noticed in SMP today that someone built double doors around the post office, and I built in a slightly modified version of my workaround. There's some lag, but otherwise they seem to work perfectly fine in Ragnar.

-edit-

Also, while checking out twitchmoss' new underwater colony, I also checked out Adammon's Death Star. That shit is nuts.

Dave

Dave

Because I couldn't find any escaped slaves.

Gusto

Gusto

Because I couldn't find any escaped slaves.[/QUOTE]

Timely!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Damn it, now I need to change the name of my place! "Epicot" doesn't seem so epic now that someone made the FREAKIN' DEATH STAR!! :(

figmentPez

figmentPez

Because Dave is my next door neighbor.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

That video is in single player. However, I noticed in SMP today that someone built double doors around the post office, and I built in a slightly modified version of my workaround. There's some lag, but otherwise they seem to work perfectly fine in Ragnar.
I couldn't get them to work from the inside. The outside switch opened and closed them, but the inside switch did nothing.

najamesk1

I like playing with Orbs
That means two things.

I kid I kid :) Epic sphere :)[/QUOTE]

I lol'd

drifter

drifter

I couldn't get them to work from the inside. The outside switch opened and closed them, but the inside switch did nothing.
I'm guessing the circuit path for the inside switch needs a repeater (a single inverter works fine). Redstone doesn't work past around 15 blocks. If that's not the case, I could take a look around when next I'm playing.

Wahad

Wahad

I like playing with Orbs
That means two things.

I kid I kid :) Epic sphere :)[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Fixed that for you.
Thats the second time in two days when I use the "quote selected text" function it quotes the wrong person. Odd.

noaxark

Because I couldn't find any escaped slaves.[/QUOTE]

Timely![/QUOTE]

Awesome!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Word of Notch says the update comes "tomorrow," presumably in swedish time.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

The zombie apocalypse begins soon then! Good thing I'm woefully underprepared lol ;).

I'll just hide in GasBandits castle...

So are we finally going to be able to harvest cloth, pork and leather?

GasBandit

GasBandit

The zombie apocalypse begins soon then! Good thing I'm woefully underprepared lol ;).

I'll just hide in GasBandits castle...

So are we finally going to be able to harvest cloth, pork and leather?
Allegedly.

Also, bear in mind that the change will not be instantaneous. Noax will have to shut down the server, redownload the new server version, and start it back up.

If past big update days have been any indication, minecraft.net will go down like a stewardess on a chartered flight full of celebrity athletes, at least for a while, and that will impede both the downloading of updates and make it impossible to log into a multiplayer server.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Notch also just said on his twitter that this does not signify the beginning of beta, he still wants to fix some inventory bugs and such first.

Dave

Dave

Will we have to pay for this again when it goes gold/live/notbroke?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Nope.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nope.[/QUOTE]

More verbose answer: You have already bought the full version. It's basically a preorder with two bonuses: 1) it is discounted 50%, and 2) you get to play during alpha and beta.

Wahad

Wahad

Health update is out

There are a couple of new settings for the server:
pvp. True by default. If this is set to false, players can’t hurt other players.
spawn-monsters. True by default. Set to false to remove all monsters.
spawn-animals. Also true by default. Set to false to remove all animals.
Personally, I would like to make a formal request to the admins to either remove monsters from the game or make a ''safe zone'' where monsters won't spawn - regardless of light. I can think of a few instances where monsters will spawn despite being in a settlement and I prefer to play Minecraft as a glorified lego box without having to quit construction every ten minutes because night sets in and I have to watch out for monsters. I will abide by the admin's decision, however, so do what you will.

noaxark

Health update is out

pvp. True by default. If this is set to false, players can’t hurt other players.
Personally, I would like to make a formal request to the admins to either remove monsters from the game or make a ''safe zone'' where monsters won't spawn - regardless of light. I can think of a few instances where monsters will spawn despite being in a settlement and I prefer to play Minecraft as a glorified lego box without having to quit construction every ten minutes because night sets in and I have to watch out for monsters. I will abide by the admin's decision, however, so do what you will.
I don't think it's possible to set up something like that. Besides, this is an alpha-soon-to-be-beta server. If you're looking for a lego box, you should find a classic server. Once they are available and functioning, I will enable PvP, monsters, the lot. It'll be on a trial basis to begin with, though, since the damn lighting bug of laggy doom still isn't crushed.

Speaking of which, the update will be applied when I get home this evening at around 17:00 GMT. I'm considering some remote update options for the future, but I'm not sure if there's much point to it, since every update needs several rounds of additional patching before working properly. Notch works the same hours as I, so I'll always get the last update of the day, which is probably the only one worth getting anyway.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Wahad

A simple tribute of Earth and Water will ensure Fnordia takes no violent actions against you :3

Eriol

Eriol

As long as it works reasonably well, I'm willing to wait for an update. No rush man. I'd rather have it relatively stable than "OMG I need my fix NOW!!!!!$#@$$@#!!!!"

Dave

Dave

I can't get in right now. I get an error of "Outdated Client". I went to the Minecraft website and downloaded the "latest" but I still get the error.

noaxark

I can't get in right now. I get an error of "Outdated Client". I went to the Minecraft website and downloaded the "latest" but I still get the error.
I assume you get this when attempting to connect to the server? It's actually the server that's outdated atm. Same message though. Singleplayer should work for you.

Gusto

Gusto

I'd still rather we have PVP off. What's the point in having all you guys as neighbours who share my post office and spawn point if you can turn around and cut my face off? To say nothing of the fact that you could literally destroy my buildings to get access to kill me if you wanted.

It just seems like unnecessary griefing now that we have a world full of monsters to contend with anyway.

Dave

Dave

Okay. So I'll wait until you post here that you've updated.

noaxark

I'd still rather we have PVP off. What's the point in having all you guys as neighbours who share my post office and spawn point if you can turn around and cut my face off? To say nothing of the fact that you could literally destroy my buildings to get access to kill me if you wanted.

It just seems like unnecessary griefing now that we have a world full of monsters to contend with anyway.
People going around killing others at random will get warned/banned. This isn't a public server -- we needn't enforce everything with in-game settings.

Dave

Dave

I'm going to be building a biodome-like structure for PvP fights. Everyone gets the same weapons/armor and we go to last man standing.

Jiarn

I think I'll join, then build my abode.... Beyond Daverdome!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

People going around killing others at random will get warned/banned. This isn't a public server -- we needn't enforce everything with in-game settings.
Yeah, we're a friendly bunch and I don't expect that people will just start randomly killing each other now. If wooden structures have managed to stick around without being burned to the ground... I have faith in our group.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, we're a friendly bunch and I don't expect that people will just start randomly killing each other now. If wooden structures have managed to stick around without being burned to the ground... I have faith in our group.[/QUOTE]

The only wooden structure that has burned to the ground was mine...and that was self-inflicted.

Wahad

Wahad

I can live with monsters being present. It's not that it makes the game unplayable for me. So I will continue to visit Ragnar :)

Word of warning for the update, though: I've been monitoring update-news on some other sites and word is that it's still insanely buggy - this update alone may have broken more things than it has added, from the looks of things. Of course, I have not attempted any multiplayer yet, this is all hearsay, but some caution may be in order.

Dave

Dave

The Word of Notch:

I’m expecting bugs on this one, so I’m monitoring the usual channels (irc, twitter, email) extra carefully.
Basically everything I talked about in the last post is done, with some extras such as visible hurt animations (how did I forget that?) and visible fire on burning mobs.
The lighting still isn’t right, I need to rewrite it. I think I know what the problem is now, though. Or rather, I know what ONE problem is. You know when you’re traveling by boat, and you see weird strips of light on the ocean floor in multiplayer? That.
Also needed is visible armor on players and mobs (sheep!), and some tweaks to reduce laggy moving mobs. And bows and arrows.
[edit:]
Wow, that broke the game. Hold on while I try to fix stuff.
I’ve uploaded a new server and a new client, fixing the two major bugs I heard about.
I had to disable leaves decaying again (sorry!) because it caused infinite loops in certain situations.
Keep me posted, and I’ll keep fixing!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lots of people in his tumblr thread are reporting things like invisible mobs, invisible other players, swords decaying completely after a single hit, inability to pick up any item including blocks you break, monsters not attacking, inventory duplicating itself, etc.

Eriol

Eriol

This. I'd rather have it self-policed because of the limited number of people, though "surprising" my wife with an arrow or two could be kinda fun.

And you guys won't have to police that. I'm sure she'll walk the 10ft to give me a shot in the arm herself.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

*readies her bow and arrows.... grinning to herself before laughing manically*

noaxark

Bugs I've seen:
1. Players are often invisible.
2. Mobs have varying health? Sometimes zombies take 10 sword hits to die, sometimes 2.
3. Mobs invisible to some people.
4. Death on login (probably due to the update, it only happened on the first log-in)
5. Spawn location changes
6. Mob damage knockback and animation lags
7. Creepers don't sssSSSsssSSsssS
8. Spiders. What, you said you wanted to know what bugs I saw ;)

Glad to help
And that's just a sample of the feedback given. I'd rather take the server down than update today. Sounds like some of these bugs risk messing people's shit up, and the new features everyone were excited about aren't working anyway. Tomorrow will surely bring better news!

Adam

Adammon

PvP will probably be pretty minor an issue on our friendly little server. Hell, I rarely even see other users around my sub-orbital death planet.

What intrigues me more about the addition of health to SMP is the opportunity for death traps. Consider yourself warned forumites.

drifter

drifter

I'm going to be building a biodome-like structure for PvP fights. Everyone gets the same weapons/armor and we go to last man standing.
I've had some ideas about a similar structure. If you're amenable to outside suggestions, want to work together on it?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

*readies her bow and arrows.... grinning to herself before laughing manically*
Don't get too excited... I don't believe bows have even been implemented in multiplayer yet.

figmentPez

figmentPez

But what about that horrible griefer that flooded Gusto's shack?

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Woo! Notch is adding cake to the game if Minecraft wins indie game of the year!

figmentPez

figmentPez

FnordBear

FnordBear

Consider yourself warned forumites.

And who do you think has already planted random minefields :3

noaxark

But what about that horrible griefer that flooded Gusto's shack?
[/QUOTE]
Who? This is the first I've heard of this. Sure it wasn't done by accident?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Screenshots were posted awhile back. I think it was implied to be an accidental occurrence.

drifter

drifter

Screenshots were posted awhile back. I think it was implied to be an accidental occurrence.[/QUOTE]

Yes... accidental... :paranoid:

Gusto

Gusto

They's gangin' up on me!

drifter

drifter

Oh man, I just got a sweet idea for a train station. I hope Notch fixes minecarts in SMP soon.

noaxark

Server is up again, but today's patching wasn't complete. Connect at your own risk. Monsters are still disabled, by the way.

edit: aaaand it's down again. didn't work very well for anyone involved.

Wahad

Wahad

They's gangin' up on me!
Nice shack you got there, mr. Miller. It'd be a shame if something happened to it, no?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, the only suspect is a suspicious pig seen at the scene of the crime. The dastardly fiend put a single block of water in the far corner of the shack, knowing that the currents of the flowing water would fill the shack, making the owner swim against the current to try and stop the flood. The horror! It obviously wasn't an "accident" because a chest with a bucket was left behind outside the shack, taunting the victim (or, maybe, giving him a way to clear out the shack... but the pig probably wasn't that nice. So, it was definitely taunting with the weapon used to commit this act of terrorism.)

Gusto

Gusto

I just logged in and instantly died.

I thought I had logged out at my tower, but I couldn't find all te stuff I was carrying before I died. So now I'm not sure where I left my "corpse".

Sigh.

Dave

Dave

I can't even run the game right now. Or any game for that matter.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I haven't even tried to login... it sounds so broken at the moment...

Plus I don't want to lose all my stuff like poor Gusto... :(

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ah, I'm really jonesing for a Minecraft fix, and single-player just doesn't cut it. *sigh* I should really work on the cosplay thread, though, and I've got a huge backlog of other games to play. Guess it's good that things are rather buggy at the moment.

noaxark

Going away for the weekend. I've set up remote administration for the server though so I can get it up again if the game is patched today.

Won't be around to check up on it much, though, so you'll have to send me a PM if something is up.

Eriol

Eriol

Something is up: Bug update #2. More coming early next week. : The Word of Notch

So there is an update that "fixes" people/things disappearing.

noaxark

Aaand it's up! I hope this one works better. Let me know.

Dave

Dave

I STILL CAN'T PLAY!!! :'(

noaxark

I STILL CAN'T PLAY!!! :'(
I just logged in from the train, and saw people on there. Probably a local issue, but it would help if you described any errors you're getting. Is anyone else having trouble?

I died upon logging in btw. So there's that. >.>

drifter

drifter

Bummaaah

By the way, I came across a nifty mod some of you may like. It lets a minimap pop up in-game, and it supposedly works for multiplayer. It's called Simple Map, and is available here.

Dave

Dave

I can't play because I don't have a video card any more. I can't have a screen saver and my computer won't play minesweeper, solitaire or any of the base games...

drifter

drifter

That's one nice thing about scraping by with bottom-of-the-barrel gear: the cost to replace is fairly negligible.

Also, Dave, I don't know how much it helps, but a new 9800 GT (which is pretty much an 8800GT) with dual-DVI outs can be had for around $100. Buy.com has a PNY 9800GT, dual-DVI, 1GB DDR3 for $93, while Amazon has a Sparkle 9800GT, dual-DVI, 512 DD3 for $98. Newegg has a couple options, but they are either more expensive or out of stock.

-edit-

Oh, Newegg has an EVGA 9800GT (512MB DDR3) which totals around $97, but that is with a rebate for a $40 prepaid card).

figmentPez

figmentPez

I can't play because I don't have a video card any more. I can't have a screen saver and my computer won't play minesweeper, solitaire or any of the base games...
Dude, what kind of graphics do you have that can't handle minecraft? My netbook with Intel 950 GMA graphics can run minecraft. It won't run it well, but I think that's because of the processor, not the video.

Dave

Dave

Integrated graphics on the motherboard since my card took a poop. There's no OpenGL driver for the integrated. Hence...nada.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Integrated graphics on the motherboard since my card took a poop. There's no OpenGL driver for the integrated. Hence...nada.
But what integrated graphics doesn't support OpenGL 1.1? It's a standard that's been around since 1997. Every one of Intel's GMA graphics chips supports at least OpenGL1.4, though I'm not sure about the 8xx series of chipsets that came before. All ATI/AMD integrated graphics support OpenGL 1.3 or better, and so should all nVidia solutions as well. Basicially, if your computer has a PCIe slot for a current graphics card, I'm dumbfounded at how your integrated graphics lack support for OpenGL.

Dave

Dave

But what integrated graphics doesn't support OpenGL 1.1? It's a standard that's been around since 1997. Every one of Intel's GMA graphics chips supports at least OpenGL1.4, though I'm not sure about the 8xx series of chipsets that came before. All ATI/AMD integrated graphics support OpenGL 1.3 or better, and so should all nVidia solutions as well. Basicially, if your computer has a PCIe slot for a current graphics card, I'm dumbfounded at how your integrated graphics lack support for OpenGL.[/QUOTE]

You plus me makes 2.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But what integrated graphics doesn't support OpenGL 1.1? It's a standard that's been around since 1997. Every one of Intel's GMA graphics chips supports at least OpenGL1.4, though I'm not sure about the 8xx series of chipsets that came before. All ATI/AMD integrated graphics support OpenGL 1.3 or better, and so should all nVidia solutions as well. Basicially, if your computer has a PCIe slot for a current graphics card, I'm dumbfounded at how your integrated graphics lack support for OpenGL.[/QUOTE]

You plus me makes 2.[/QUOTE]

I had this problem at work, too, where my machine also only has an old intel on-board. I was able to get minecraft working by using the .jar version with a bat file, not minecraft.exe. Might could give that a try.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Uh, hey Fnordbear... does this mean you're tired of minecraft?

FnordBear

FnordBear

!!!!

I did not do this...

I havent been on in a day or two...

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Ok....everything is intact....I take it you are messing with the server save in single player :p

Not funny.

PatrThom

PatrThom

There's no OpenGL driver for the integrated. Hence...nada.
You haven't told us yet what chipset you're using for us to be able to help. :)

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

!!!!

I did not do this...

I havent been on in a day or two...

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Ok....everything is intact....I take it you are messing with the server save in single player :p

Not funny.
>:D

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

So, if I log into the server for the first time since the patch, am I going to instantly die and lose all my stuff on me still like others who did when it first came out?

Dave

Dave

I'm not sure I can. Here's why. My monitors are still plugged in to the video card (which is disabled). I had at one point taken it out & plugged the monitor into the "normal" port, but nothing I do brings up the display. Totally black.

I have tried several things but can't get the motherboard integrated graphics to read.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So, if I log into the server for the first time since the patch, am I going to instantly die and lose all my stuff on me still like others who did when it first came out?
Probably not. I've played a lot of hours today and yesterday and it's mostly worked correctly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lag tonight near Gasbandia got to be unplayable. things were happening 30 seconds or more after they were initiated. I could throw a tool on the ground and it would take over 60 seconds to pick it up. But oddly enough, chat was unaffected, and Drifter reported negligible lag at his area. This leads me to think that some chunks get processing priorty over others for some bizarre reason.

Oh, and the latest patch has COMPLETELY horked minecarts, especially where powered carts and boosters are concerned.

Adam

Adammon

Oh, and the latest patch has COMPLETELY horked minecarts, especially where powered carts and boosters are concerned.
Is that why I was getting internal server errors and my client would disconnect everytime I hit a booster? Greaaaagh! I thought I was doing something wrong!

drifter

drifter

Is that why I was getting internal server errors and my client would disconnect everytime I hit a booster? Greaaaagh! I thought I was doing something wrong![/QUOTE]

I didn't get disconnected, but I did notice an interesting glitch while testing out my track. I was letting my cart slowly drift to a halt after a boost; when I finally stopped, I fell out of the bottom of my cart, through the floor, and into a cavern beneath me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have tried several things but can't get the motherboard integrated graphics to read.
And it probably won't if the motherboard is still 'seeing' the secondary graphics. Two possible solutions: Physically remove the discrete card OR change the BIOS setting "Init display first" (usually) to be the integrated graphics (also make sure the integrated graphics chips is enabled in BIOS in the first place).

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

And it probably won't if the motherboard is still 'seeing' the secondary graphics. Two possible solutions: Physically remove the discrete card OR change the BIOS setting "Init display first" (usually) to be the integrated graphics (also make sure the integrated graphics chips is enabled in BIOS in the first place).

--Patrick[/QUOTE]

Now that's something I haven't tried yet. Tell you how it works in a little while.

Dave

Dave

It's Sunday at 2 PM. It worked. I wasted an entire long weekend because I didn't change the BIOS and the computer was trying to read a video card that wasn't attached.

I did have to update to the latest driver, but it's working. Now to see how badly it runs...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cartograph as of middle of the day (in not-Narnia, that is) on 11-28 here. Image is rotated differently from the other cartographs (north is upper RIGHT instead of upper left) because I flummoxed the cartograph settings and am too lazy to redo it.

Dave

Dave

That's a big fucking blimp.

And I am laggy as shit thanks to onboard graphics. It's the same in single player mode.

GasBandit

GasBandit

As of 8:00 eastern time, the server was so bogged down (with minimal user presence) that I saw the sun set 3 times in 5 minutes, each time then suddenly "rewinding" back above the horizon. breaking/planting blocks similarly affected, though chat latency wasn't as bad. I blame the latest server version. Nothing we can do about it in the meantime except hope noaxark reboots frequently.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

by 9pm eastern, the server has become absolutely unplayable. The final masterstroke came when eriol and figmentpez logged in within 30 seconds of each other, the whole damn opera flew apart. Logins seem to be a major (though usually temporary) source of stress for the server.

Adam

Adammon

Let me go on record saying that Notch's development cycle is lacking. He certainly doesn't seem to have a very good QA process.

noaxark

Made a post at getsatisfaction about the CPU issues we're having. It's not very detailed, but I honestly don't really know much about it other than that the server will suddenly go into lag-mode and won't come out until I restart the software.

Also, you know, one could argue that you guys also have the problem reported above. Maybe enough to click a certain button to bump the issue? ;)

FnordBear

FnordBear

noaxark:

For what it's worth the times I was on over the weekend I experienced no lag at all. I'm wondering if certain parts of the map are the issue?

Reasoning behind this: I have made some single player maps using the dwarf fortress map conversion utility. It generates very large 9elevation wise) chunks that lag badly, once I move out of the area the is effectively pre-generated in to areas that are auto-generated the issue disappears.

Maybe something similar is going on, that it is location specific. Obviously would not explain issues when no one is online, but it is a place to start thinking.

noaxark

Keep in mind you can always add whatever extra knowledge you have on the issue on the report page ;)

FnordBear

FnordBear

Keep in mind you can always add whatever extra knowledge you have on the issue on the report page
I would if my issue wasn't directly tied to a third party program that is unsupported.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

So I finally joined the server after a month or two of single player. Some impressive buildings out there. And I havent even seen them all yet. Just going to wait until minecarts are fixed to do the grand tour.

After a few hours of exploring the place, and finding a nice spot of land, I started to build.
To the south-west of spawn (Directly west of the post office) you will find a few new additions.
1) My Humble Shack
2) A small waterfall with a large pond next to the shack (Be careful, It's deep)

and last but not least, The brand new stoneworks! Tired of hollowing out a mountain for a basic building material such as cobblestone? Try the Brand new Stoneworks, with It's Infinite Cobblestone Forge.
Also Just in case of a creeper apocolypse, I have fashioned myself a secret Hideout. This one shall remain hidden though. If you stumble across it, let me know :)

Also Thanks to whoever made me that watch. It shall come in handy when I start mining.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Try the Brand new Stoneworks, with It's Infinite Cobblestone Forge.
How does this work?

Jiarn

This thread has been woeful for screenshots for a few pages now.

drifter

drifter

Try the Brand new Stoneworks, with It's Infinite Cobblestone Forge.
How does this work?[/QUOTE]

Basically a lava block and a water block, positioned in such a way that the flows meet, but the source blocks are never extinguished. Here is one with a basic design I particularly like:

-edit-

This thread has been woeful for screenshots for a few pages now.
Well, no one's stopping you from posting screenies ;)

figmentPez

figmentPez

There's not much reason to mine cobblestone, is there? There are probably chests full of the stuff all over. I'm willing to share mine. Right outside my farm is the "Box O' Rocks" which anyone is welcome to take from (Along with the "Dirt Locker" and the "Wheat Spot". I'll deliver to the post office on request, though I think it's already got quite a bit of cobblestone and dirt). For the more discriminating builder, there's a whole large chest of smooth stone at the post office.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh boy... Notch has the solved bug list up, and some of these may cause troubles:

Lava and water does not flow through open doors: Solved
Tools Repair when dropped (SMP): Solved

Oh my, goodbye airlocks and infinite diamond picks. EDIT: Er, maybe not. Reading some of the comments, it seems that "solved" may only be a community flag, and there's a different type of solved that means that Notch actually flagged it that way.

Some of the fixes are good, though. Snowfall, right-clicking on an object also triggering the item you're holding, arrows in SMP, furnaces eating items, leaves (ha! like that will ever get fixed).

Dave

Dave

Interesting. I actually have a GetSatisfaction account for Halforums. Now that I've see it in action I might just put in a link for when we make the XF switch.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

There's not much reason to mine cobblestone, is there? There are probably chests full of the stuff all over. I'm willing to share mine. Right outside my farm is the "Box O' Rocks" which anyone is welcome to take from (Along with the "Dirt Locker" and the "Wheat Spot". I'll deliver to the post office on request, though I think it's already got quite a bit of cobblestone and dirt). For the more discriminating builder, there's a whole large chest of smooth stone at the post office.
So between this and the cobblestone creation technique... I've been hollowing out my huge stone quarry underneath my ziggarut for nothing then... I feel kind of dumb now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So between this and the cobblestone creation technique... I've been hollowing out my huge stone quarry underneath my ziggarut for nothing then... I feel kind of dumb now.
You got some coal out of it, right? I hear that it makes a great stocking stuffer come Christmas.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I have a lava-powered cobblestone generator in my castle too, but I built it more as an exercise in fluid dynamics. I've never actually found the need to use it because I've pretty much always been drowning in cobblestone.

drifter

drifter

So between this and the cobblestone creation technique... I've been hollowing out my huge stone quarry underneath my ziggarut for nothing then... I feel kind of dumb now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got like eight double-chests full of nothing but cobblestone, and that doesn't count the mountains of drops I couldn't be bothered to pick up. Feel free to hit me up if you need any. :)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

*facepalm*

Well, thanks for the offers lol. I guess I'll have to make a mailbox in the post office for this sort of thing.

I guess at least I found some iron and coal while I was digging... and if my ziggurat gets overrun I can retreat underground lol.

Bones

Bones

i bought into the game tonight, and wandered around the server. anyone want to give a guy named bones a good home until he can find a place in the world? I am willing to help with any task if I am given instructions! I am overwhelmed by survival mode.

GasBandit

GasBandit

i bought into the game tonight, and wandered around the server. anyone want to give a guy named bones a good home until he can find a place in the world? I am willing to help with any task if I am given instructions! I am overwhelmed by survival mode.
There are plenty of empty houses available for habitation in GasBandia. And we're COMPLETELY over our zombie infestation now, thank you very much.

drifter

drifter

Perhaps this will appease Jiarn; screens of what I've been working on. Nothing as opulent as Gas's dirigible, but some of it's pretty sweet, in concept if not in execution.

First, my hillside pad overlooking Driftopia

A peaceful little outdoor garden on the second floor
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6127/00101129181737.jpg

View of Driftopia from the balcony
[IMG]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3302/00101129181540.jpg

View of the unfinished interior. I may add more levels to complete the sphere.
[IMG]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4527/00101129182003.jpg

Small park in front of the train station. Not too happy with it; I'll probably redo the layout

Indoor of the unfinished station. There are some problems with the design, but eh.

View of my lava sculpture

Another view from the base

That's more or less it. I've got another little project which is too early to bother showing; it's an observation point, with a view of the lava sculpture, along with a Bamayan Buddha which is still in the planning stages.

Bones

Bones

I should hide in the giant bean can of amazingness

FnordBear

FnordBear

I should hide in the giant bean can of amazingness
Someone actually already has a house in there.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

There isn't a real need for the cobblestone generator, but I't does look pretty cool. Plus I like to play with sustainability in mind. I saw we already had a lumber yard and an infinite water spring or two around the place. Now Ragnar can be the chief exporter of cobblestone.

(Also the Stoneworks is the first piece of the mighty Gargoyle Industries Association. Look out for the hardware store and armoury in the coming future)

noaxark

New cartograph up. Been a while since the last one, so I just thought I'd give special notice :)

Edit:
Btw, this memory leak issue is currently the most reported problem of all. Lots of people discussing it are reporting CPU issues as well, so let's hope it's related to our problems even though we're not running out of memory.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You'd think the cartograph author would have made it able to render diamond blocks by now... but noooo. My can is still made of panty hose and the death star is missing some focusers.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

BTW Noax, I took a cartograph on the 28th, if you're interested in adding it to the list. Only I got the arguments wrong and it's rotated 90 degrees from the others. Dunno if that makes a difference to you, but I thought (after the fact of course) that it's also nice to get the occasional different perspective.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

So I logged in last night to just play for 15 minutes or so and I became one of those dead invisible ghost things. Thanks to FigmentPez who painstakingly followed my piss poor directions, found all my stuff and put it in a chest for me. Seriously... these bugs are effin stupid. I tried logging in and out a few times but I'm still an invisible ghost who can't interact with the world. It sucks.

Eriol

Eriol

So I logged in last night to just play for 15 minutes or so and I became one of those dead invisible ghost things. Thanks to FigmentPez who painstakingly followed my piss poor directions, found all my stuff and put it in a chest for me. Seriously... these bugs are effin stupid. I tried logging in and out a few times but I'm still an invisible ghost who can't interact with the world. It sucks.
My recommendation (for what it's worth) is to jump off of something REALLY high. You CAN take damage (at least if alive) and I'll bet if you "die" again, you'll be fixed. Something like that happened to me, and that fixed me. Worth a try at least.

As for today, tried about an hour ago, and even got to "downloading world", but then timed out. So reboot required probably.

Eriol

Eriol

Update as of 30 minutes ago: Bug update #3. : The Word of Notch

So hopefully that'll help. But I would pay attention to one thing server admins:

* Server logging now appends to server.log rather than overwriting it

Check the size of this file. If this isnt' done EXACTLY right, writing to the log can take a LONG time, and hang things. I've run into similar problems at my own work with gargantuan (100MB+) log files. So if this file starts getting above 10MB, start moving/renaming/deleting it.

strawman

strawman

Update as of 30 minutes ago: Bug update #3. : The Word of Notch

So hopefully that'll help. But I would pay attention to one thing server admins:

Check the size of this file. If this isnt' done EXACTLY right, writing to the log can take a LONG time, and hang things. I've run into similar problems at my own work with gargantuan (100MB+) log files. So if this file starts getting above 10MB, start moving/renaming/deleting it.
Were I running a server I'd consider performing automatic maintenance nightly during low usage periods that archives all the logs daily, reboots the server, etc.

Besides, a server log isn't gargantuan until it's larger than 4GB. 100MB server logs are nothing these days...

;-P

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Notch said:
The join server screen now remembers the last entered ip
FINALLY!

You'd think this was some sort of major programming task to have avoided adding this little creature-feature for so long.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

My recommendation (for what it's worth) is to jump off of something REALLY high. You CAN take damage (at least if alive) and I'll bet if you "die" again, you'll be fixed. Something like that happened to me, and that fixed me. Worth a try at least.
I'll have to give this a try later... thanks.

noaxark

Just updated. Never mind about what I said about us not having the memory problem. We do -- I just tend to reboot it frequently enough to stop the software from growing all that large. It's a good thing, though, since notch confirmed the issue today. I wasn't sure he was aware of how widespread the problem was until getsatisfaction got up and running, but now I'm hopeful things will get smoother in the near future.

Bones

Bones

I tried building a little house out in the boonies today only to realize it was getting dark and I still had not found any coal to make torches with...kind of a shitty night to have a curse...:D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, if your house is very little, it's safe so long as it's all shut in. Mobs won't spawn within a certain radius of you, so cowering in a tiny shack is a viable, if somewhat unproductive alternative. Truthfully, it's how I spent my first night in single player the first time I played.

Bones

Bones

Well, if your house is very little, it's safe so long as it's all shut in. Mobs won't spawn within a certain radius of you, so cowering in a tiny shack is a viable, if somewhat unproductive alternative. Truthfully, it's how I spent my first night in single player the first time I played.
haha this was actually on the HF server. its been a slow hard start for me. I keep hoping I will stumble on some resources, but I keep mining more and more cobblestone and dirt. maybe someday I will have a great tower that reaches high into the sky.

Dave

Dave

So there are monsters now?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

haha this was actually on the HF server. its been a slow hard start for me. I keep hoping I will stumble on some resources, but I keep mining more and more cobblestone and dirt. maybe someday I will have a great tower that reaches high into the sky.
Where is your home base? I have some resources I can give you to help you get started (some coal, lumber and iron).

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

So there are monsters now?
I don't think they've been enabled yet... have they?

Bones

Bones

you know I have actually no idea, but if you find a half-finished dirt cube in your travels you have found my small hut. i think I am north-east of everything. actually maybe I should set up shop a little closer to the main drag? well I will try to find a good place where I can mine and build stuff.

Dave

Dave

I was just wondering why night was such a big deal. Right now we have no monsters. So it's dark, sure, but not deadly in the least so why would he need to build a sod hut to survive?

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

And wait! SNEAK MODE?!?

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

The client version is now 1.2.4
The server version is now 0.2.6 (mandatory update, there’s been protocol changes)
Bug fix list:
* Swords and other weapons now deal damage properly
* Added proper hurt animations and sounds to mobs and players
* Fixed dead players logging in as invisible ghosts
* Made arrows visible and deal damage
* Hoes now produce proper seeds
* Creepers make noises and animate before exploding
* Explosions animate properly
* No more infinite free arrows
* Buttons and levers (and a few other blocks probably, it’s a general solution) animate properly
* Fixed minecarts (and pigs!) moving twice as fast as they should when ridden.
* The join server screen now remembers the last entered ip
* Increased chunk saving frequency on the server
* Leaving sneak mode no longer triggers a million sounds
* You can now see sneaking players
* Names of sneaking players aren’t visible through walls, and are visible a much shorter distance

* Snowballs!!
I’ll monitor for bugs for a while, then head home!
Server 0.2.6_01 no longer gives everyone 64 snowballs on connecting
Server 0.2.6_02 and client 1.2.4_01 now spawn other monsters than ONLY CREEPERS EVERYWHERE

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

He's getting into character Dave... way to ruin the magic... ;)

Bones, if you ever see me online just give me a shout and I can help you out. Actually... a good idea would be to add your own mailbox in the post office so people can give you stuff easily.

drifter

drifter

I tried building a little house out in the boonies today only to realize it was getting dark and I still had not found any coal to make torches with
There's a chest full of starter materials just south of the spawn point, if you're really hard up. There are also raw materials free to the community in chests at the post office.

And wait! SNEAK MODE?!?
If you hold down shift, you crouch down and move slower. It should also be noted that while in sneak mode, you can't fall off edges, which helps immensely while building high in the sky.

Bones

Bones

I tried building a little house out in the boonies today only to realize it was getting dark and I still had not found any coal to make torches with
There's a chest full of starter materials just south of the spawn point, if you're really hard up. There are also raw materials free to the community in chests at the post office.[/QUOTE]

I borrowed some at the beginning just to get some tools made but I feel bad borrowing stuff to try to make a start. I just want to ya know, burrow into the earth like a mole. I am really only into the game right now to collect ore and make shit. although I feel so impotent next to all the huge stuff you all built >_>

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's if you hold down LEFT shift. Unless you've moved it to another key (or play on Mac).

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

*sigh* I'm so addicted to Minecraft. I can't connect to the server to play, though. Oh well, it's been keeping me up past my bedtime anyway.

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

Yay, you can see my humble shack from space....I mean in the cartograph. Awesome!

And drifter, that lava sculpture is amazing, and your settlement is very sneaky, I was wondering why someone built a sculpture like that in the middle of nowhere. Only on close inspection did I see the torches everywhere. Also Bones, check out Mt Awesome, underneath the city centre. I went for a quick little walk through it and found myself a bunch of iron. Enough to get a bucket and a few tools anyway.

Bones

Bones

did the server go down again?

gargoyle_eva

gargoyle_eva

I havent been able to get on for a few hours either. Thought it might have been on my end. Obviously not. Perhaps this is a good thing though. I need an early night.

noaxark

Updated. Monsters are [strike]now[/strike] not ON. Enabled them shortly, but they weren't really working. Animals are back on though. Let me know if they bug out on you.

Eriol

Eriol

New Update: Bug update #4, and we're six people in the office now! : The Word of Notch

Fixed the memory leak (they think) as well as removing the /home command. Because of that, I'm going to remove the "trap" that somebody made where you'd ALMOST have to use /home to get back (I didn't have to, but I did have to use ladders). When I get on today, I'll do that first thing so that it's safe.

figmentPez

figmentPez

From Notch's blog, the game has been updated:

Client version 1.2.5
Server version 0.2.7 (not mandatory, but you might want to update anyway)

* Fixed a rather bad memory leak bug in the server (entity position updates accumulated in orphaned player objects)
* Riding carts and boats now works properly when you travel long distances.
* Harvesting crops no longer yields fake seeds
* Removed /home (sorry!)
* Snowballs again!
So, uh, good and bad things. The memory leak was a big problem, and hopefully it's fixed, but why take out /home?

strawman

strawman

I wish he would have made it optional. I quite like the /home command.

Dave

Dave

I LOVE the /home command! And it was integral to my RPG/Two men enter 1 man leave Contests!

Bones

Bones

its really too bad, but at least my tower is slowly growing into the sky. my mine is also coming along nicely despite not hitting anything major.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I LOVE the /home command! And it was integral to my RPG/Two men enter 1 man leave Contests!
Okay, somebody really needs to build Thunderdome now... :D

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

*sigh*

So I'm still an invisible ghost. I have logged in and out over 10 times to no effect. I can't take any damage... can't drown, can't die from falling, can't burn to death. I also can't interact with the world or be seen.

Thanks a lot Notch...

Anyone have any ideas before I have to bequeath my ziggurat to someone else and give up on this horseshit? I haven't been able to play in a few days now.

Dave

Dave

I would think that Gas or Noax would need to do something.

As to the Thunderdome, I was going to build it WAY far away from everything else but without the /home that isn't going to happen. It was going to be a whole "maze/thunderdome" thing where players would go, place all their stuff into chests & all wear/use the same weapons/armor and fight it out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I would think that Gas or Noax would need to do something.

As to the Thunderdome, I was going to build it WAY far away from everything else but without the /home that isn't going to happen. It was going to be a whole "maze/thunderdome" thing where players would go, place all their stuff into chests & all wear/use the same weapons/armor and fight it out.
You could always use Nether Portals and powered mine carts to shorten the trip. Have them temporarily put the server on peaceful, build an enclosed structure in the Nether covering the tracks (so you don't get blasted by Ghasts enroute), and have them take that route to it.

Or you could be smart and have them put in a teleporter mod. I've seen one that uses nether portals and links them directly together.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Build a pit, with seating above, and have an iron door as the only exit to the pit. Since iron doors can't be opened except by a switch (or pressure plate, button, etc.), if you put the only switch on the outside, that's as trapped as someone can get in Minecraft (barring the use of adminium).

drifter

drifter

You could always use Nether Portals and powered mine carts to shorten the trip. Have them temporarily put the server on peaceful, build an enclosed structure in the Nether covering the tracks (so you don't get blasted by Ghasts enroute), and have them take that route to it.
Once the Nether works in SMP, you wouldn't need to put the server on peaceful. Cobblestone is impervious to Ghast blasts.

David

David

uuuuuuuuh yeah, the /home hate rather leaves me SOL at the moment, as I logged out someplace I have no clue how to get back to civilization. May have to dig my way to some redstone to make a compass. Though I am fairly sure I'm in a general westward direction from my home.

UPDATE: Okay, so tried walking east for a little bit, and somehow ended up at Gas's zeppelin. After starting at Lavapolis. Now I'm just confused.

noaxark

*sigh*

So I'm still an invisible ghost. I have logged in and out over 10 times to no effect. I can't take any damage... can't drown, can't die from falling, can't burn to death. I also can't interact with the world or be seen.

Thanks a lot Notch...

Anyone have any ideas before I have to bequeath my ziggurat to someone else and give up on this horseshit? I haven't been able to play in a few days now.
Try it now. I fear your inventory has been lost, but you can ask an admin to restore the important stuff :)

Edit:
Oh, by the way, with /home gone, let's open up the floor for some discussion about wrappers and mods. I've been against using flat-out mods like hey0 this far, leaning instead towards the more 'notch-approved' wrappers, but I'm willing to reconsider.

What extra features do you guys want, and do you have any suggestions for mods/plugins/wrappers with which to do it?

FnordBear

FnordBear

I wouldn't mind one of the mods that makes all minecarts effectively self propelled like Autocart.

Also wouldnt mind something like Elevator Blocks or the Cannon Mod.

Dave

Dave

I have no idea about Minecraft mods.

strawman

strawman

I have no idea about Minecraft mods.
I played on another server that made the lava work like water (ie, you could take a few lava source blocks and make an everlasting lava spring). I'm not aware of many other mods though. But cool lava sculptures were a lot easier than they are right now.

I'd say wait until beta before rolling out the mods. Notch is going to update the game at least a few times every month, and at any given time one or more mods will be broken. It would be a pain to make something that only occasionally works if the mod author updates it in a timely manner and the admin reinstalls it each time notch updates the game.

noaxark

This thread is pretty interesting, and could explain the "locational" lag we have been experiencing: Bottomless Map Lag & Freezing Tests - Minecraft Forums
See also for a simpler explanation: Penny Arcade Forums - View Single Post - Craft Mines, not War! MINECRAFT

If you know you've got something below level 32 (ie 32 blocks above the bottom of the map) that's open to sunlight, try covering it. Maybe we can notice a difference in performance. For example, I distinctly remember us having a giant glass roof mine going all the way to the bottom. I recommend whoever owns it to fill the top glass layer with water until the issue is fixed.

strawman

strawman

This thread is pretty interesting, and could explain the "locational" lag we have been experiencing: Bottomless Map Lag & Freezing Tests - Minecraft Forums
See also for a simpler explanation: Penny Arcade Forums - View Single Post - Craft Mines, not War! MINECRAFT

If you know you've got something below level 32 (ie 32 blocks above the bottom of the map) that's open to sunlight, try covering it. Maybe we can notice a difference in performance. For example, I distinctly remember us having a giant glass mine going all the way to the bottom. I recommend whoever owns it to fill the top glass layer with water until the issue is fixed.
My glass mine doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but I'll cover it just in case. That will cause a problem with monster spawning, so hopefully this issue is fixed prior to turning monsters on again...

noaxark

If you know you've got something below level 32 (ie 32 blocks above the bottom of the map) that's open to sunlight, try covering it. Maybe we can notice a difference in performance. For example, I distinctly remember us having a giant glass mine going all the way to the bottom. I recommend whoever owns it to fill the top glass layer with water until the issue is fixed.
My glass mine doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but I'll cover it just in case. That will cause a problem with monster spawning, so hopefully this issue is fixed prior to turning monsters on again...[/QUOTE]

Great! It still probably deep enough to get below 32, and I would love to do some testing there myself. Where is it, though?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Try it now. I fear your inventory has been lost, but you can ask an admin to restore the important stuff
Thanks noaxark, I'll try it out tonight. Inventory shouldn't be a big deal as I had FigmentPez collect all my gear that dropped from me when I first became the invisible ghost. If there's anything important missing though I'll let an admin know.

Eriol

Eriol

My glass mine doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but I'll cover it just in case. That will cause a problem with monster spawning, so hopefully this issue is fixed prior to turning monsters on again...
Put torches up then. Don't you need them at night anyways? Torches stop monsters just as well as sunlight does (except it doesn't zap undead once they've already spawned of course).

It wasn't clear from the thread if it was PURELY with sunlight. Is it only a sunlight problem, not a general "if you're that close" problem? I DEFINITELY do not have any tunnels down to bedrock level (or even close) but I DO have caves that hit at or near there. Is that a problem too?

strawman

strawman

My glass mine doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but I'll cover it just in case. That will cause a problem with monster spawning, so hopefully this issue is fixed prior to turning monsters on again...[/QUOTE]

Great! It still probably deep enough to get below 32, and I would love to do some testing there myself. Where is it, though?[/QUOTE]

I still want an in-game gps. Almost badly enough to write some software to give me that function.

At any rate, it's covered, and it did indeed go well below 32.

Go right ahead and play with it. I'm just south west of the great can of beans. If you follow Gasbandit's walkway south out of town towards Chikii ville and Gasbandia you'll come upon a fork at a water feature with one sign leading towards gasbandia and the other leading towards Stienman. Take the one towards stienman, and the path ends right on top of the glass on my vertical shaft. You'll need to go into the dirt house to get into the mine.

I've covered it both with water and an overhang of dirt so you can remove either or both and play around with it. The main 5x5 shaft doesn't go all the way down, but the center single shaft goes to bedrock, about 1-5 blocks above the bottom of the map.

drifter

drifter

Well, well, well, look who I found loitering about in my transit system!

Any last words?

Well, coulda been worse...I was considering entombing you in obsidian ;)

P.S. Please don't ban me!

Eriol

Eriol

I'd be REALLY careful drifter. Mods can encase you in BEDROCK.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I'd be less careful, drifter. Get them before they get you!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

*slow clap*

Well played Drifter... well played... :D

drifter

drifter

I'd be REALLY careful drifter. Mods can encase you in BEDROCK.
O.O Perhaps I should have considered my actions more carefully.

Nah.

Oh god please don't hurt me

noaxark

Oh god please don't hurt me
Hm... I do have teleportation powers. Perhaps someone will one day find himself suddenly wandering the bottom of the unexplored depths of Mount Awesome...? ^^

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I guess Tabasco won't be looking for bottles of wine in YOUR mine again!

drifter

drifter

I'll have to rename that section the Montilla Line ;)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I have a question... are powered carts still effected by downward slopes in the same way that normal mine carts are (I.E. Do they gain speed and momentum when going downhill) ?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Try it now. I fear your inventory has been lost, but you can ask an admin to restore the important stuff
Noaxark, I have been restored to life and my inventory losses were minimal. Thank you very much... now I can continue my road upgrading projects :).

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have a question... are powered carts still effected by downward slopes in the same way that normal mine carts are (I.E. Do they gain speed and momentum when going downhill) ?
Yes, but they don't "coast" as far as occupied minecarts I think.

Noax - until the development cycle is such that he's not patching every week (or as current, multiple times every week), I feel it would be a fruitless headache to maintain mods on the server. Every time he patches, the mods have to be patched as well and that generally takes a while for their authors to update.

@everybody_else - I've confirmed minecarts now do function properly even across long distances. I've updated most of the "public" type minecart terminals to use simple "single action" boosters to get you going. I tried to fraps a demonstration of how to work them but youtube's being a bitch about me uploading now for some reason. I didn't fix fnordbear's stuff because his TSA booth doesn't leave me enough room to build a proper booster :p

Basically, you can see it in at about the 30 second mark. You break whatever mine carts are still on the track, carry 2 (if you need them, I've put spare cart chests at every stop), put a cart at the lower "flat" terminal end, get in it, then put another empty cart up the slope as far as you can. The two carts should then move side by side for the length of the booster track, and that SHOULD propel you to your destination.

Some of the longer tracks (like to/from gasbandia) have occasionally placed automatic self-resetting (or what I like to call "double action" instead of "single action") boosters to "recharge" the momentum of your cart automatically as you pass them.

This system should greatly ease transportation across long distances. There's no reason Dave still couldn't have his thunderdome out across the state line. And admins can still teleport themselves and other players.

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Oh, and drifter, I noticed your underground line manages to squeeze right between two levels of my underwater lair... Verrrrry sneaky.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Another update today.

From Notch's blog:
Notch said:
* Added /kill command. Does 1000 points damage to the player
* Did some patching client side to prevent duplicated entities
* The join server page now remembers the port as well as the ip
* Fixed a bug where joining a server on a specific port caused the client to forget all keybindings
* Added lakes and rare lava pools, both on the surface and randomly in caves.
* Fixed a crash bug when destroying the vehicle from under a player
* Players connecting to a server or respawning are invulnerable for three seconds
He's also looking for videos from players to put on the main page for the game.
Again, from Notch:
Notch said:
We’re looking for one video for the front page that sets the mood of the game and sells it well without being too cheesy, and for one tutorial type video on some help page somewhere. We have some requirements:

* No custom texture packs, it should show off the “raw” game
* No video effects like bloom or blur
* No copyright protected music
* You’ll have to tell us that we can use your video

So if you have anything good, or if you want to make anything new, please email us ( notch@mojang.com and/or junkboy@mojang.com), and we’ll select a few nice ones and possibly rotate them every now and then to keep the page fresh.

We’d appreciate it a lot!

Jiarn

I vote for "X's Adventures in Minecraft 001".

It's what gave me the Minecraft bug.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, on the topic of fast travel systems, I recommend we hold off on using nether gates indefinitely for two reasons:

1) Nether gates, even though you can't travel through them currently, still reportedly spawn the occasional ghast. Ghasts hover in the sky and shoot flaming explosives at anything they see. Our world is extremely flammable. So... if anybody has already built and activated a hellgate... you might want to break it.

2) Even in single player, there are problems with these gates, especially if a ghast shoots at you when you're near one while in the nether. The explosion/fire "puts out" the portal effect. The problem here is that, though you can re-light the obsidian to restart the portal, it does not reassociate itself with the already existing portal in the "normal" world, meaning that it creates YET ANOTHER hellgate at a location of its own choosing , which I have found can be up to a hundred tiles away if your initial placement invoked the "nearest safe point" rule in the nether. There is no way to fix this without the deactivation and complete dissassembly of the portals SIMULTANEOUSLY both in the real world and the nether... something impossible to do in single player and dangerous to do even once it is working in multiplayer. We could end up with lots of rogue gates dotting the landscape or even appearing inside areas where they are unwanted (people's mines/houses)... and that of course, might also lead to rogue ghasts.

strawman

strawman

Also, on the topic of fast travel systems, I recommend we use nether gates as often as possible for two reasons:

1) Nether gates spawn the occasional ghast. Ghasts hover in the sky and shoot flaming explosives at anything they see. Our world is extremely flammable. WOOOOOOOO!

2) Proper misuse may result in lots of rogue gates dotting the landscape or even appearing inside areas where they are unwanted (people's mines/houses). Peeping tom FTW!

drifter

drifter

Man, getting the train station working is a lot harder than I thought.

Rubicon

I vote for "X's Adventures in Minecraft 001".

It's what gave me the Minecraft bug.
I always enjoyed Seannaners "Lets Play Minecraft" series. More comedy but still good introduction to playing the game.

drifter

drifter

Whoever built the Gentlemen's Club, sorry, I accidentally destroyed one of the diamond blocks on the first floor. On the plus side, you now have working steel double doors.

-edit-

By the way, what is the white material you used for the floor?

FnordBear

FnordBear

Whoever built the Gentlemen's Club, sorry, I accidentally destroyed one of the diamond blocks on the first floor. On the plus side, you now have working steel double doors. -edit- By the way, what is the white material you used for the floor?
No worries was a quick fix :)

And I used snow blocks.

Bones

Bones

I will never forget being abducted and waking up in the underground chambers of castle gasbandia, its like being abducted by doctor doom and being given a tour of his castle and coutry because you managed to escape from his jail cell.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ah, that reminds me. Thank you, Bones, for the work you did digging out the Under-Farm. Now I have to figure out what to do with all that space. Definitely a tree-farm in part, but that won't take up but a fraction.

There are always so many projects I want to work on. In no particular order:
- recreate my chessboard from single player, this time with a hedge maze around it.
- put a window on the bottom of a lake and build a room underneath, like in Gummi Bears.
- [STRIKE]build a super-high dive[/STRIKE] (plans scratched to the lighting bug, but someday I want to jump from the top of the skybox to a pool of water at bedrock.)
- finish exploring the caves beneath my home. I might have to make a map.

Dave

Dave

When I logged in today my swimming pool was filled with cows. I hurried inside and went up the ladder to get a better spot for a screen print but by the time I got up there they were all gone.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've been playing around with the Tronic skin. I really like the way it makes the surface world look, and it makes the underground look brighter (especially compared to how dark the Painterly Pack can get) but it's got some drawbacks. Bedrock is hard to tell apart from stone and obsidian is flat black (I'm thinking of editing the skin myself to fix these). Also, you have to have the HD texture fix applied to use Tronic, since it's uses 32x32 textures (I think). If you don't then fire, pumpkins, gold block and more are all broken.

My mountaintop retreat.

Touring Gasbandia

I love the way water looks.

Lava and flowers in Tronic

Jack O' Lanterns

Sheep and other animals look awesome in Tronic

Diamond in Tronic

and you get a cool little progress bar when you mine.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Somebody built 5 portals next to the gentleman's club. I guess they want the gentlemen to be burning and splodey.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Somebody built 5 portals next to the gentleman's club. I guess they want the gentlemen to be burning and splodey.
Or Ghasts like hookers.

Dave

Dave

Besides using the obsidian, how do you even make a hell gate?

drifter

drifter

Once you build the doorway (3HX2W), light it up with a flint and steel.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Besides using the obsidian, how do you even make a hell gate?
You had darn well better not make one near my farm Dave.

Anyone know if putting a gate in a room without enough room for Ghasts to spawn is safe? Ghasts need at least a 4x4x4 space to spawn in, so a gate room with a 3 high ceiling should be safe... if it's not bugged.

Dave

Dave

No, I'll be making one under the Dome of Death I am building. But it's taking FOREVER!!!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Once you build the doorway (3HX2W), light it up with a flint and steel.
This is misleading. You should say that the frame is actually 4 width and 5 height, so you need 14 blocks of obsidian to make it. Plus the stuff for the flint and steel to light it up.

drifter

drifter

This is misleading. You should say that the frame is actually 4 width and 5 height, so you need 14 blocks of obsidian to make it.
Meh. If you misread it, you would build it without any space for an opening. If you're too stupid to realize that you're building a doorway you cannot phsyically move through, you deserve to spend the time breaking down the obsidian to start over. Also, you only need 10 blocks of obsidian, as the corners are superfluous, stricly speaking.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is misleading. You should say that the frame is actually 4 width and 5 height, so you need 14 blocks of obsidian to make it.
Meh. If you misread it, you would build it without any space for an opening. If you're too stupid to realize that you're building a doorway you cannot phsyically move through, you deserve to spend the time breaking down the obsidian to start over. Also, you only need 10 blocks of obsidian, as the corners are superfluous, stricly speaking.[/QUOTE]

Ahh... didn't know you didn't need the corners. Every one I've seen always had them.

drifter

drifter

If you ever see a corner-less gate, you'll know why ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wow, when did that tower across from the tree farm and south of my farm go up? Whoever built there needs to thank me for leveling the ground for them. (I had been planning that as a nice safe place to fight my first monsters in SMP, in case lag is as big an issue as I think it will be.)

EDIT: Oh, that's the "gentleman's club" you've been talking about.

It's an eyesore with stairs that don't work right.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lag seems to be affecting different activities differently... I was able to dig and build today with ease, but every attempt to boost/ride a minecart was absolutely futile. Odd.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Wow, when did that tower across from the tree farm and south of my farm go up? Whoever built there needs to thank me for leveling the ground for them. (I had been planning that as a nice safe place to fight my first monsters in SMP, in case lag is as big an issue as I think it will be.)

EDIT: Oh, that's the "gentleman's club" you've been talking about.

It's an eyesore with stairs that don't work right.
I think this heralds a new chapter in Ragnar history - the chapter that says if you're preparing/leveling/whatevering a plot of land for future use you need to fence it, or at least put a sign on it. Also, we've got many an "unlabeled" structure sitting out somewhere, for instance a good bit east of Pez's farm and northeast of the flying saucer, there's a little house and such on a floating island that has no signage whatsoever. I only mention it because it had yet another activated nethergate on it (I disabled it). Also there's a new somethingorother next to gusto's that has all kinds of waterfalls and lavafalls on it that doesn't identify its name or owner either. The central area of the map has started to become a little crowded, enough so that jostling such as the above is pretty much inevitable if claims/signage aren't clear. I'm not sure what can be done about underground areas though, as I've already noticed that someone else has been digging in one of my underground bases... and not the 2-block "oops I was digging a tunnel and found this and I'm turning around now bye" type breach that Mav made a few weeks ago, but honest to god large scale tunneling and exploring, reshaping tunnels I dug and connecting them to new ones. I don't see any overt vandalism so far, but it still makes me a little uneasy that someone took it upon themselves to "improve" this area without asking first. Admittedly, the area was not signed, but in an underground environment encroachment can happen from any direction, any depth and any angle.. so it's unrealistic to expect to be able to stake a claim with a sign underground. I really hope we're not moving toward the point where we have to, like a great number of servers have, mod the server in such a way that it enforces build permissions with given areas of ownership. That would just cramp the exploratory nature of the game too much for me.

Dave

Dave

The game needs to add monsters or monster spawn areas that a player can "claim". These monsters won't attack you but will others.

Use them as guards for your lairs.

figmentPez

figmentPez

LI think this heralds a new chapter in Ragnar history - the chapter that says if you're preparing/leveling/whatevering a plot of land for future use you need to fence it, or at least put a sign on it.
Yeah that's a good idea.

I want to be clear that my post was tongue-in-cheek. I honestly don't like the gaudiness of the Gentleman's Club, but I'm not bothered that someone built there. If I had cared I would have put up signs. I nearly did declare it "The Field of Battle: No torches!" but it's so close to spawn I figured it was better that it get claimed by someone and eventually be monster free.

I haven't put up signs yet behind my farm, but I'm leveling ground there for my chessboard. I'll put up fencing when I get a chance.

Wahad

Wahad

I broke into someone's cave system (by which I mean there were torches all over the place) the other day. I did not mine anywhere where there were torches, but I did claim some unlit passage ways (by putting torches there and mining valuables). I also put a sign with my name at the point where I broke into the cave. I think that is a safe code-of-conduct for underground encroachment but obviously this is up to the admins to decide.

Bones

Bones

Also there's a new somethingorother next to gusto's that has all kinds of waterfalls and lavafalls on it that doesn't identify its name or owner either.

well I was going to make signs but somebody decided to kidnap me and stick me in their dungeons....

:D

Dave

Dave

So I went as far away as I could to build THE HELLDOME!!!!! But then they tool away the /home command. So I started building a road to get from there to civilization....that and because I kept forgetting where it was. So I get to an area where Noax is working on a structure. I ask him what he wanted me to do and he said, "Build a bridge, young man!!" So I did.

Today I get on and Eriol tells me that the structure is his wife's and she's PISSED I built it there. I teased him for a while but then tore everything down and I'm going to go WAY around. Pain in the ass but I left her a calling card....

David

David

I occasionally go random cave-diving, so if you find an unmarked but lit cave it's possible I was exploring it. I found a HUUUUUGE one a bit south of Gusto's a couple weeks ago, it opened at the surface and went all the way down to diamond-finding level. And I'm not even sure if I explored the whole thing, there could very well have still been dark branches.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I hope my road upgrading project hasn't been annoying anyone too much. I'm just working on main arteries at the moment and making the roads 3 spaces wide with nice cobblestone edging plus light sources galore to keep the monsters at bay.

I just thought it would look nice to have a unified road structure navigating much of the world... plus I suck at building cool things like statues so roads it is!

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 AM ----------

Also, generally if I break into someone else's cave system I block it back up with cobblestone and don't go any further.

I have found that the whole base level underneath my ziggurat has been thoroughly pillaged anyways... you crazy guys and your crazy mines.

noaxark

So I get to an area where Noax is working on a structure. I ask him what he wanted me to do and he said, "Build a bridge, young man!!" So I did.
Oh, actually, what happened was that I just had teleported to your location to check out what you were working on. How farcical of us.

drifter

drifter

This booster design is sweet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That is pretty sweet. And so is the "pez dispenser" cart system you mentioned to me the other day (I checked it out and got a working version going in SSP).

But the main problem right now with all these designs is that lag absolutely destroys them. Yesterday, lag made it so that the boosters didn't stay adjacent to the carts... they either got ahead or fell behind, which of course breaks the booster effect and often breaks the booster entirely such that it has to be reset by hand.

I'm starting to wonder if we don't need to get some more powerful, more centralized hosting - I've visited several servers hosted professionally lately for about 20-30 bucks a month and asked their players questions... and they don't seem to have the problems we do, nor do they have to reboot 3 times a day.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Amen. That is so much more track-efficient than the double cloverleaf design I was trying to work out.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

20-30 bucks a month?!? That's WAY steep.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

What's the most we've ever had on concurrently?

GasBandit

GasBandit

20-30 bucks a month?!? That's WAY steep.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

What's the most we've ever had on concurrently?
I want to say 9? I think the $20 rate was for a 15 max server. And bear in mind we have 28 players total and it's not unthinkable they could all want on at once.

Dave

Dave

At Price Up & Order Your Minecraft Game Server - Multiplay Gameservers you can get 15 concurrent for $22.80 a month so I guess you are right in the ballpark.

If you want it for a year, you can add Vent for $2.85. Yearly cost would be $246.24.

I can't afford that at all, but I can throw SOME in if that's what we want to do. The question is, can we move what we've done over to there or would we have to start fresh?

FnordBear

FnordBear

I would gladly donate a not-small portion of a yearly fee.

GasBandit

GasBandit

At Price Up & Order Your Minecraft Game Server - Multiplay Gameservers you can get 15 concurrent for $22.80 a month so I guess you are right in the ballpark.

If you want it for a year, you can add Vent for $2.85. Yearly cost would be $246.24.

I can't afford that at all, but I can throw SOME in if that's what we want to do. The question is, can we move what we've done over to there or would we have to start fresh?
It'd be no issue to move over what we have. I was thinking we'd all chip in... after all, there's 28 of us, that comes out to less than a buck a month for each.

Dirona

Dirona

So I went as far away as I could to build THE HELLDOME!!!!! But then they tool away the /home command. So I started building a road to get from there to civilization....that and because I kept forgetting where it was. So I get to an area where Noax is working on a structure. I ask him what he wanted me to do and he said, "Build a bridge, young man!!" So I did.

Today I get on and Eriol tells me that the structure is his wife's and she's PISSED I built it there. I teased him for a while but then tore everything down and I'm going to go WAY around. Pain in the ass but I left her a calling card....
well... pissed may be a bit strong of a term... but it was a bit of a shock to see this superhighway running past my, as Eriol put it, "fortress of solitude"! Thank you so so so so so much for rebuilding elsewhere... and if you need any assistance, I am in your debt. So just ask.

Also, I'm leaving that calling card up, may even make it into a little shrine. ;)

Dave

Dave

Gas, what kind of IM do you use or do you want to call me?

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Would my getting a server piss Noax off in any way? Considering the stuff is on HIS server I don't want to step on toes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think we should wait for him to weigh in on the discussion before we do more than spitball.

Dave

Dave

*gulp*