[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we'd wanted it to be crowded, we could have advertised it on several minecraft related boards/sites at no cost and disabled whitelisting... but that opens up a whole 'nother ball of wax. Frankly, right now administrating any minecraft server that isn't straight vanilla is a nightmare every single patch because there's no stable API (and we've been promised an API for years now) and every new version means all the plugin writers have to update their forcefully injected code.

So, if you want to pony up for this service, I guess go ahead, but I'm warning you... it will either be a populated vanilla grieferfest... or exactly what we had before - a custom, secure, one-version-behind ghost town.
Isn't the lack of an API problem actually getting worse right now, too? Since Dinnerbone left BUKKIT to go work for Mojang directly, hasn't the BUKKIT add-on system basically crashed and burned, meaning anyone that was developing for that architecture had to switch over to Forge or just stop development of their addons altogether?

Dave

Staff member
If we'd wanted it to be crowded, we could have advertised it on several minecraft related boards/sites at no cost and disabled whitelisting... but that opens up a whole 'nother ball of wax. Frankly, right now administrating any minecraft server that isn't straight vanilla is a nightmare every single patch because there's no stable API (and we've been promised an API for years now) and every new version means all the plugin writers have to update their forcefully injected code.

So, if you want to pony up for this service, I guess go ahead, but I'm warning you... it will either be a populated vanilla grieferfest... or exactly what we had before - a custom, secure, one-version-behind ghost town.
I think it'll be easier if it is on a Mojang server for trying to help against a vanilla grief-fest. Or for addons at the very least. I wouldn't even mind making it a PvP type of thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Isn't the lack of an API problem actually getting worse right now, too? Since Dinnerbone left BUKKIT to go work for Mojang directly, hasn't the BUKKIT add-on system basically crashed and burned, meaning anyone that was developing for that architecture had to switch over to Forge or just stop development of their addons altogether?
I wouldn't know, I haven't run a dedicated server or used bukkit since the halforums server closed. I've been using FORGE at home and just playing LAN with the little woman, and even then only a couple hours a week.

I think it'll be easier if it is on a Mojang server for trying to help against a vanilla grief-fest. Or for addons at the very least. I wouldn't even mind making it a PvP type of thing.
What on god's green earth ever gave you that hilarious notion? If anything it'll make it worse, because mojang can't pay attention to a bajillion little shared server instances. There'd still be no API for modding/addons, as well.

Really, until they finish their mod API, hosting/maintaining a current, stable, customized , public minecraft server is pretty much a full time job in and of itself. The only ones who manage to do it... well, it IS their day job, pretty much, and often they ARE the authors of their own mods, like the MineZ guys.

And playing on them is still a shitty lagfest largely populated by jerkasses. Believe me, I've tried a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.