[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noaxark

Also, alpha purchasers will get all future updates for free. Beta purchasers... it's not clear. Beta buyers will get the full game, but maybe not expansion packs or DLC or whatever else. Apparently Notch's lawyers weren't happy with the phrasing of the "all future updates" clause to purchases.[/QUOTE]

Score!

By the way, I disabled animals again a while back. They seem to cause as much lag as monsters -- not even sure why I thought they wouldn't. Maybe 'cause they didn't back when the server software performed as it should.

figmentPez

Staff member
No aminals?! I guess I'll be begging admins for cloth, then. I've only got a couple stacks, and I need more than that to make my chessboard. (If I ever get back into the game, though. I've been playing catch-up on all the things I'd put off to play way too much Minecraft.)

Also, I checked the latest cartograph last night, and I noticed the gentleman's club is gone. Ya didn't have to do that. I know I was being a cranky old man, but sometimes I just like to rant.

No aminals?! I guess I'll be begging admins for cloth, then. I've only got a couple stacks, and I need more than that to make my chessboard. (If I ever get back into the game, though. I've been playing catch-up on all the things I'd put off to play way too much Minecraft.)

Also, I checked the latest cartograph last night, and I noticed the gentleman's club is gone. Ya didn't have to do that. I know I was being a cranky old man, but sometimes I just like to rant.
There's about 20 wool in the ''Animal Produce'' chest, which is next to the Smooth Stone chest, in the post office, if you hadn't already taken that.

Damn. Can that even be done on a shared server?
Turn the server map updates off (this is an admin command that allows maps to be backed up without taking the server offline)
Edit the map (the map on the server is an editable series of files just like individual maps)
Turn the server map updates back on

Though this process may result in some oddities because I suspect the server expects the map to remain static during the time it's not updating it. In that case you have to turn the server off, edit the map, then turn it back on.

But you can't do any of that on the client side - you have to have file access on the server. This is how Gasbandit's castle was brought into the game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, the server would have to be shut down, the spawner edited into the map file, then the server restarted. And it would pretty much all have to be done physically on the server itself.

Well, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to leave me my entire postbox full of TNT, but no takebacks now! Be aware of traps in and around the general area closest to the spawn/my VASE.

You really like having your gasbag at the upper left of your cartographs, don't you?

One option for restricting map size, back to an older topic here, is to write a script that deleted extra generated chunks outside the defined area of the map, and something around the edges of the map to indicate to people the area that is allowed for building. Perhaps a one high, one wide wall of adminium at 128 height. Build beyond that and know it's going to disappear overnight.

Actually, I'd like it if a chunk near me was deleted every day or week and allowed to regenerate randomly. It would be like having one's own bermuda triangle in their backyard.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just can't figure out the parameters that noax is using to make north the upper left. My choices always seem to generate every OTHER direction being north, or a mirror image of reality.

deleting the extra chunks overnight will only be of limited utility if it's next to somebody... every time someone comes close enough, the chunk will be regenerated. And landscape generation is, bar none, the most stressful activity for a minecraft server.

N

noaxark

I just can't figure out the parameters that noax is using to make north the upper left. My choices always seem to generate every OTHER direction being north, or a mirror image of reality.
Actually, since those maps need to be tone-corrected anyway, I flip them in photoshop. I started doing it way back when GASBANDIT RULES YOU was the only text on the server and it looked weird mirrored. I've kinda been stuck doing it ever since :p

Edit: Speaking of which, anyone know anything about Photoshop macros? ;)

Bring up the file you want to edit. Open up the Actions window (it's usually tabbed in the same box with Layers) and click on the blank document button to make a new macro. Give the action a name, hit record, do what you need to do, then hit stop. Easy-peasy.

By the way, is there any reason why you keep the files as .png instead of converting to .jpg? The ratio of file size to image quality doesn't seem worth it, personally speaking.

Btw, can I put in a request to an admin for 6-10 stacks of iron blocks please? I'm "trimming" my towers with them, and so it takes a lot. I think I'd be mining until new years to try and find enough myself.

Thanks.

J

Jiarn

Iron is easy enough to find. If you were trying to trim it with gold I'd understand.

Get to work!

figmentPez

Staff member
I was listening to a Minecraft podcast, and they answered a user question "Where you you hide your stuff?" and I was so glad I haven't had to do that on our server. Not yet anyway.

J

Jiarn

Someone needs to do a video walkthrough of this server, it looks amazing from the Cartographer, but we need a tour!

figmentPez

Staff member

Dungeons like this could be pretty cool. I could see shields working, but only if there are new enemies added beyond skeletons, otherwise it might make things too easy.

J

Jiarn

That dungeon video is VERY inspiring toward what the future of Minecraft could be.

Who is Riley? They stumbled upon my secret base, and left me a note on my visitors wall. Huzzah to you good sir, I am pleased someone found it :)
Do keep it a secret though, I want to see how hidden it actually is.

N

noaxark

Who is Riley? They stumbled upon my secret base, and left me a note on my visitors wall. Huzzah to you good sir, I am pleased someone found it :)
Riley is in reference to The Boondocks. And I didn't find it through the "official" secret entrance as marked by the signs, but I didn't tunnel in either. You have more :p

Admin hax?
And I havent found anymore signs? maybe I'm blind...or are you talking about some random tree growth?

Also, I havent seen the boondocks for ages. Wish my stupid tv channel didnt cancel it.

N

noaxark

Admin hax?
And I havent found anymore signs? maybe I'm blind...or are you talking about some random tree growth?
PM'ed you where I found it. Also, the main secret entrance is marked by signs saying "this is the secret entrance" or something but that's just the way I got out ;)

Sorry about the abrupt end to our conversation, Wahad. Darn server timeout, got kicked off and couldn't get back on.

Riley is in reference to The Boondocks. And I didn't find it through the "official" secret entrance as marked by the signs, but I didn't tunnel in either. You have more :p[/QUOTE]

If it was supposed to be a reference to The Boondocks, it should have said Young Reezy or Pablo Escobar. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.