[PC Game] Minecraft HF server info and game discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Adammon MegaSphere Project underway. This one is twice the size of the current Death Globe. (Which means I had to only build the top half for now...hahahaha, evil.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another Adammon MegaSphere Project underway. This one is twice the size of the current Death Globe. (Which means I had to only build the top half for now...hahahaha, evil.
And the project after that, when you can't enlarge the Z axis any more.... are you going to just double the X and Y and make a DeathAdvil?

And the project after that, when you can't enlarge the Z axis any more.... are you going to just double the X and Y and make a DeathAdvil?[/QUOTE]

Possibly!

And I should have been more clear, when I meant 'double', I actually meant on one axis. Which means technically the new sphere is 4x the size of the old one. The large lake to the north will basically be covered by a dome by the time I'm done.

GasBandit

Staff member
And the project after that, when you can't enlarge the Z axis any more.... are you going to just double the X and Y and make a DeathAdvil?[/QUOTE]

Possibly!

And I should have been more clear, when I meant 'double', I actually meant on one axis. Which means technically the new sphere is 4x the size of the old one. The large lake to the north will basically be covered by a dome by the time I'm done.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought you meant. My statement was, as the first one was 64m in diameter, and this one is going to be 128m in diameter (which is the height limit from bedrock to sky), is the next one going to be a 128x256 circular capsule? heh

N

noaxark

Possibly!

And I should have been more clear, when I meant 'double', I actually meant on one axis. Which means technically the new sphere is 4x the size of the old one. The large lake to the north will basically be covered by a dome by the time I'm done.[/QUOTE]

First read what I wrote about the lighting bug though. On the PA server (or one of them? not sure) they had to take an entire area out of commission due to the lowered ground level causing game-breaking lag.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly... the h32 lighting bug only pertains to SUNLIGHT, right? Not artificial light sources such as torches, australium or lava, yes?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly... the h32 lighting bug only pertains to SUNLIGHT, right? Not artificial light sources such as torches, australium or lava, yes?
Correct.

At some point between 128 and 32, some block other than glass, air, torch, ladder, etc (ie, "transparent" blocks) needs to appear. If any block below 32 has a view of the sky, then the lighting bug occurs, which hugely loads the server.

This particular lighting bug is unique to the sun. Torches, fires, etc use a different algorithm.

N

noaxark

Sunlight is calculated as going straight down, yes? IE one shouldn't have to worry about 'spillage' from adjacent and higher uncovered blocks?

Possibly!

That's what I thought you meant. My statement was, as the first one was 64m in diameter, and this one is going to be 128m in diameter (which is the height limit from bedrock to sky), is the next one going to be a 128x256 circular capsule? heh[/QUOTE]

Oh crap, you may be appealing to my OCD on that...SOoooooo tempting.

Sunlight is calculated as going straight down, yes? IE one shouldn't have to worry about 'spillage' from adjacent and higher uncovered blocks?
Correct. Sunlight goes exactly straight down, and it's only this type of light that matters.

While "sunlight" can spread out once it passes through a block or hits a surface, that calculation is done just as the torch calculations are done, so it's ok. (for now, who knows what he'll break next update...)

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

What are you guys using to calculate your circles/spheres/cylinders?

I was sad to find out there is no way to grow grass if you have no grass around your dirt patch. I wish I could find grass sed to get it started when I start a new little spot of dirt or something.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was sad to find out there is no way to grow grass if you have no grass around your dirt patch. I wish I could find grass sed to get it started when I start a new little spot of dirt or something.
When I was building my rooftop garden in single player I was kinda bummed to find that out as well, but then I just built a staircase of dirt from the ground up to the top of my tower and waited for the grass to spread all the way up.

Kati built an underwater domed paradise. It took her almost 2 weeks for her to coax the grass to come down there. Rewarding, but took a while.
Also, there are still lighting bugs involving redstone torches that keep cropping up in my single-player games. Stuff keeps going solid black even though there's a torch right in the middle of it.

--Patrick

When I was building my rooftop garden in single player I was kinda bummed to find that out as well, but then I just built a staircase of dirt from the ground up to the top of my tower and waited for the grass to spread all the way up.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I didn't know that. It makes sense. My roof has grass on it, but i suppose that's due to the staircase I had going up at one point.

Pretty sure. I have my tower of earth and sky (goes from bedrock to the top block possible) capped so that this problem can't occur.

Check it out. East of Dirona's Inlet, mostly-east and a bit north of the death star. It has underground connections to my place and Dirona's as well.

Also check out my multi-layer open gardens in the sky. 4 layers with wheat fields on all, 64 plantings per layer. I have the water in pools UNDERNEATH each layer, all lit by lightstone.

Finished adjusting the beam from my U.F.O. and the outside is now complete! So if you're curious, take the road north to my place and beam on up.

finally finished my tree farm in the sky, than I built a beacon at the top of the world so I can always find my place no mater how lost i get :D

N

noaxark

Yep I think it's time for a screenshot update!
Done! Sorry about the long interval, but I blame everything on recent bodily injury.

Also, it seems I kept the original chunks from the forest fire, so it's still there >.<
Will fix when I'm able.

Done! Sorry about the long interval, but I blame everything on recent bodily injury. Also, it seems I kept the original chunks from the forest fire, so it's still there >.< Will fix when I'm able.
"Image could not be displayed because it contains errors"

GasBandit

Staff member
We've got some kind of bored prankster running around putting sponge in random places, sometimes in front of people's doors, sometimes in a tree, sometimes on the ice... Frankly I think they're pretty ugly, and I think that if we go around building tiny monuments to inanity, it'll just make people afraid to build in the area because they might take whatever nonsense edifice is there to be an actual territorial claim.

This isn't the first time something's been thrown around randomly/not so randomly either... I've mentioned a couple times in game somebody put a monster spawner in the open, explored tunnels around GasBandia.

Come on, people... if you're bored, build something distinct and recognizable, don't litter the landscape with trash you think is funny. If you don't feel the creative juices flowing enough to build something, go dig up resources. If you don't feel like doing any of that, log the hell out until you do.

N

noaxark

Done! Sorry about the long interval, but I blame everything on recent bodily injury. Also, it seems I kept the original chunks from the forest fire, so it's still there >.< Will fix when I'm able.
"Image could not be displayed because it contains errors"[/QUOTE]

That only happens for me when attempting to view the resized versions. It's insanely huge, and I don't think picturepush's algorithms can handle doing anything with it. Try ye olde right click -> "save target as...".

Dave

Staff member
Sure. I move my highway and now she's going to be staring down at THE HUGE FUCKING DOME FROM HELL!!!

She just can't win.

I know. She's not happy. Probably going to move. She THOUGHT she was out in the boonies. Apparently not!

Ad, read the conversation about Dirona's place last page.

Edit: and btw, who has the flaming "X" and stuff that's across the pond almost directly east of my place? Kinda between my place and the "large" field of wheat, but even further east. Just wondering, as it's kinda "by itself" out there.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just had a deliciously evil thought. Perhaps my next project shall be a cobblestone ceiling at height 127. Stretching out forever. I WILL TAKE THE SKY FROM YOU! HA HA HA HA HA

N

noaxark

I know. She's not happy. Probably going to move. She THOUGHT she was out in the boonies. Apparently not!
Heh, tell her to use the cartograph before heading too far out. Even though I haven't restricted it (yet) I'd rather not have any more terrain generated. I'm sure there's plenty of space already available to find a remote location :)

GasBandit

Staff member

Ad, read the conversation about Dirona's place last page.

Edit: and btw, who has the flaming "X" and stuff that's across the pond almost directly east of my place? Kinda between my place and the "large" field of wheat, but even further east. Just wondering, as it's kinda "by itself" out there.
Well, she kinda was... but she also built next to the largest body of water currently on the map... surely a popular destination.

I think if anyone wants to have no neighbors, they're going to have to out-drifter drifter and go a few km out. I'd recommend the first project when doing that be a rail station, though.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Heh, tell her to use the cartograph before heading too far out. Even though I haven't restricted it (yet) I'd rather not have any more terrain generated. I'm sure there's plenty of space already available to find a remote location :)[/QUOTE]

Is there even a server command to do that? I didn't think you could stop terrain generation. Even if you can, I don't think it is a good idea.

Is there even a server command to do that? I didn't think you could stop terrain generation. Even if you can, I don't think it is a good idea.
No, there isn't, though I've heard you can hack the server to turn off autogeneration.

I think he's suggesting that people avoid traveling excessively and choose locations already existing on the map where possible so that terrain generation doesn't occur.

Although it's worthwhile pointing out that the map is now large enough that most large structures are lost in the noise, and only huge and gargantuan structures will be visible when zoomed out enough to see the whole map.

I just had a deliciously evil thought. Perhaps my next project shall be a cobblestone ceiling at height 127. Stretching out forever. I WILL TAKE THE SKY FROM YOU! HA HA HA HA HA
I had considered that already, but it would make the cartographer maps really boring :(

Status
Not open for further replies.