Let's all not starve (Don't Starve Together)

Oh god, I guarantee you that the north end of that swamp must be a disaster of random ground items.

I should be home by then, if not I can jump in a little late. As I said before, 9 year old girls all day. D:

Side note: if you were going to reset the persistent server tonight, let me know when and we can pop on at the same time and pick a camp spot. Thursday is a running around day for me, but I should be around at some point. [emoji14]

GasBandit

Staff member
Side note: if you were going to reset the persistent server tonight, let me know when and we can pop on at the same time and pick a camp spot. Thursday is a running around day for me, but I should be around at some point. [emoji14]
As per usual, I probably won't get home till after 7 central. Then it'll take me a bit to rename/backup the old map (just in case we ever want to flip back to it). I'll check with you when I get the process started.

I probably won't be around until an hour after that at the earliest. I'll let you know, and I'll keep mobile Steam open to let you know.

Though if you want to jump in tonight while we break new camp on the persistent game, you can do that too. [emoji14]

GasBandit

Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Wilderness mode is the way to go this time. Hear me out on this.

It will alleviate the early starvation problems we experienced last time. When I went walkabout last night exploring new territory, I didn't really need to take any food with me - I was able to simply forage along the way for everything (7 or so berries or carrots will get you through a game day). By starting spread out, with the mod in place that tells us where everybody is on the map, (assuming it continues to work as advertised), it will allow us to build up a nice starting pad of foraged edibles as we converge to build a base camp.

But, as I said before, if you die in Wilderness mode you can just respawn on the map and we could go on all night. If we do Survival, there's more of a chance of everyone dying in a timely matter if we want to have it be a one shot kind of night, at least until we could make Telltale hearts or get magic. We can always spread out from the portal in opposite directions until we settle on a final camp spot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Telltale hearts aren't really that much of a barrier, it's 3 grass and a spider gland. You don't even need a science machine to prototype it.

And really, even in endless mode, ragequit attrition seemed to do the job pretty well :D

Wilderness really depends on how big you plan to make the world too, we could end up REALLY FAR apart.

Wilderness = Every time you die you lose all of your stuff and start in a new random place (But you can still find your stuff if you have the desire to do so)

Survival = When you die you become a ghost until you find a way to be resurrected and everyone starts at the same location.

Endless = everyone starts at the same location and you can resurrect by using that entrance

Sounds like it's about time to restart the map. Tonight when I get home, I'll rename the map file and restart the server... and check to see if that makes the issue go away. It'd suck to have to put up with this during the group thing this weekend.

Assuming people are showing up for that. There's been precious few RSVPs.
Did I miss the RSVP? I'm down.

I lagged during a hound attack again, but not until I got to the Beefalo. I ended up dying because I apparently wasn't moving at all server side and got eaten alive. There was a lot of stuff on the ground around the Beefalo, as well as a much bigger herd, so that may have been the issue.

GasBandit

Staff member
Our camp has been ravaged by Terrik, our supplies are depleted, our buildings destroyed, our belongings pilfered.

He even murdered our caged pet bird, because he "didn't know what else to do."

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
8p CDT, just a reminder all. We'll be starting fresh with a new map, and in survival mode - which means the portal won't rez you, only touchstones/telltale hearts/life giving amulets/meat effigies.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, the previous world is archived, the new world is generated, mode is set to survival... I've got the server shut down now until we do our thing at 8 tonight. And as I've finished the L4D videos from last night, I've got 500 gigs of space to fraps our hopeless flailings!

A few questions:

1) Are we doing Halforums Hunger Games? (Halger Games?) Because even though I'll die quick, I thought it'd be a fun idea.
2) Will all the discussed mods be included? If so, can someone list them all so I can see for myself? Don't need the UI kind of mods. Just things like new characters, areas, etc.
3) Who's all coming so far tonight? I'm in, either way.

1.)We aren't turning PvP on, but we're turning off easy rezzing.

2.) That I am not sure of, I only know of three added characters because no one else spoke up about any

3.) Meeeee