Let's all not starve (Don't Starve Together)

GasBandit

Staff member
Really if I had the follow through, I would make characters for our HFA avatars.
That sounds like a LOT of work. And that's coming from a guy who made 29 forumite avatars screw and murder each other for over a year.

Ahahahahaha, I feel like I should use this one, just so I can die ALL THE TIME.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=447699651&searchtext=
If she is a catgirl, then why is she named "Fish???"
what are your schedules like this weekend?
Off Saturday, though I only have a single day's play under my belt, surviving to day 21. I'll try to get a few more hours of play in before the weekend, but first I have to finish leveling my Diablo char to 70 to get the seasonal perks (though he's level 63 right now).

--Patrick

So I will say that if we are planning to play for FILMING purposes, we probably don't want to play on Endless. We can always put the other map back up after filming nights for extended play. Survival is probably the way to go, but at the same time, a lot of people probably aren't confident enough to play that way.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I will say that if we are planning to play for FILMING purposes, we probably don't want to play on Endless. We can always put the other map back up after filming nights for extended play. Survival is probably the way to go, but at the same time, a lot of people probably aren't confident enough to play that way.
I'm half tempted to try Wilderness, given that the map will show us all our locations (because I have that mod loaded), so it is possible for us to converge on each other. Starting interspersed will give us a better chance of avoiding the "no beefalo" problem we had last time, and also will let us gather up a whole lot of grass, sticks and flint as we travel to each other so that we don't immediately deplete the area around where we build the camp.

Well, the issue with Wilderness is that when you die you'll restart in yet another random location, as opposed to Survival where you'll turn into a ghost if you die and have to be resurrected by someone else. It's really up to everyone. Also that mod doesn't really work. It was only showing me where I last saw you, and that could have been a different mod showing me that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, the issue with Wilderness is that when you die you'll restart in yet another random location, as opposed to Survival where you'll turn into a ghost if you die and have to be resurrected by someone else. It's really up to everyone. Also that mod doesn't really work. It was only showing me where I last saw you, and that could have been a different mod showing me that.
Odd, it was showing me where you were every time I looked. Watched you move around and everything.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you are still the host of the dedicated server, that might be why it works as well.
The server doesn't know me any different from any other player, I'm totally separate from the server. Heck, I don't even have me marked as an admin.

Then I have no idea. I know I couldn't find you when you were in areas of the map I had never been to. Maybe that was the last time I checked.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reading the comment thread of the mod, some people have it randomly stop working for no apparent reason. Guess it's not perfect.

Assuming we'll save our current map in some form, I did start building some more stuff around the portal and have been hanging out there, in an attempt to lure asshole away from our dwindling Beefalo populace.

GasBandit

Staff member
Assuming we'll save our current map in some form, I did start building some more stuff around the portal and have been hanging out there, in an attempt to lure asshole away from our dwindling Beefalo populace.
Yeah, all I really have to do to start a new level is stop the server, rename the level folder, and start it again. Then when we're all dead, I delete the new world and rename the old folder back again.

I have 9 blue gems in Chester awaiting a full moon. As an aside, there's a neat mod that gives everyone their own Chester that might be worth implementing. Would make having to leave my backpack behind less annoying at the very least.

I have 9 blue gems in Chester awaiting a full moon. As an aside, there's a neat mod that gives everyone their own Chester that might be worth implementing. Would make having to leave my backpack behind less annoying at the very least.
What, there's a Nether Chest mod for DS?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
We now have a Snow Chester. Mobile icebox![DOUBLEPOST=1441244840,1441244565][/DOUBLEPOST]
What, there's a Nether Chest mod for DS?

--Patrick
No, instead of interconnecting chests, it's just a living, furry chest that follows you around.[DOUBLEPOST=1441244968][/DOUBLEPOST]Also on my journeys today I found 55 glommer goop just laying around. This stuff is high octane fuel for both fire pits and machines like the flingamatic.

And I found a pan flute, which you can play to put all creatures around you to sleep... so... Deerclops insurance.

GasBandit

Staff member
Server was acting really laggy last night, so we shut it down to ride it out. It's back up now. I added Dipper, Wynn and the catgirl thing to the mod list, though if you've already logged into the server on the current map I don't think it'll let you do character select until we make a new world.

Server was acting really laggy last night, so we shut it down to ride it out. It's back up now. I added Dipper, Wynn and the catgirl thing to the mod list, though if you've already logged into the server on the current map I don't think it'll let you do character select until we make a new world.
I'm still rubber banding. I wasn't at first, then it started up again.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm still rubber banding. I wasn't at first, then it started up again.
Hmm, Klei's bug forum seems to indicate to me that this is an ongoing issue. Guess as worlds progress, and the complexity of the world increases and the number of entities within the world increases, it starts to really beat on the CPU, and the server is single threaded (only uses a single CPU core, so multiple cores don't really help).

It started up in the spring, I wonder if there's a bunch of frogs out there that tipped the balance over to more than the server could handle. But even getting rid of those would only be a temporary improvement at this point, I guess this is how you know when you've "won" don't starve together.

I'm just going to blame you exploring that whole new area of map. ;) But in all seriousness, it started for me a couple of days ago.

Well, clearly that means it is time to start over anyways. I did already comment that we had reached easy mode. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, clearly that means it is time to start over anyways. I did already comment that we had reached easy mode. ;)
True enough... most of it now is just farming and lumberjacking within 50 yards of the base, and building more teeth traps. How many teeth did we have, was it? A hundred something?

We have 100 something in chests, and I'm sure there are more scattered around the Savannah that we didn't bother to pick up. [emoji14]

Maybe I will load up Chester and explore some brave new worlds, where I will immediately die to a hound attack. ;)

So I was actually fine for a while, then started rubber banding again once hounds came and the game crashed, which means I'm probably about to log back in and die to shenanigans. Hopefully Chester didn't die because of it, because I was at the Beefalo, but some of the hounds took a liking to him.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sounds like it's about time to restart the map. Tonight when I get home, I'll rename the map file and restart the server... and check to see if that makes the issue go away. It'd suck to have to put up with this during the group thing this weekend.

Assuming people are showing up for that. There's been precious few RSVPs.

Yeah, if it's mostly stable, but then lags for hounds, that's a bad time. HOWEVER, Chester and I both lived because I didn't have aggro on any of the hounds when I crashed and thus did not die to shenanigans.

Though, I only lived because I jumped in a random portal while very far from base and it dumped me back by our Beefalo. :p

On that note.... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=362175979&searchtext=color ?

Also, the personal Chester mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463740026&searchtext=chester

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder if part of the problem is just all the crap that accumulates on the ground... seeds left to rot which stay there unless we pick it up, bees and butterflies spreading flowers which makes for more bees and butterflies, ever increasing numbers of tumbleweeds caught in crannies (no shit last night I found SIX lodged int a corner) and of course the constant proliferation of spiders since we neglect culling the nests.... all get the server to the point where the next frog rain or hound attack brings it to its knees.