Let's all not starve (Don't Starve Together)

@GasBandit, the server is down, which is probably due to Steam being weird all weekend. At least it was at the time of posting. I am playing Super Mario Maker with my son atm, will check later. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know why the server keeps turning itself off. Woke up this morning, it was stopped again. Started it. Got home tonight, it was stopped. Started it again.

Oh good, that means I'm going to log in right after a hound attack, in the main camp, crazy as fuck. I think. I forget if all the hounds were dead by morning. Hmmm.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nah, I stayed in more than a day after you logged out, so it only rolled some of my acts back, none of yours.

I was gonna play tonight but I've been in such a foul mood all day that I didn't want to ruin a game I liked by getting mad at it. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I was gonna play tonight but I've been in such a foul mood all day that I didn't want to ruin a game I liked by getting mad at it. :p
I harvested a couple stacks of wood, got some trinkets turned into the pig king for another stack of gold, built a couple more farms, and caught some fresh frog legs. Camp number 4 is shaping up, but without drying racks meat spoilage is a problem.

Is it winter? I think I ended up in our Camp #1 pig town at the time the server would have saved last before it shut down yesterday.

GasBandit

Staff member
Is it winter? I think I ended up in our Camp #1 pig town at the time the server would have saved last before it shut down yesterday.
No, but it was almost winter when I logged out, just a few days to go. Chester is still at camp #4.

I started rubber banding pretty bad, don't know if it was me or the server, but I logged off again for now. Last day of Autumn.

GasBandit

Staff member
Server console was behaving a bit oddly, and I did notice occasional lag glitches when I logged in, so I restarted the server.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, so will this weekend work for everybody to try again on the wilderness continuation? Any day/time specifically better than others for anybody?

I think I'm good, but since my daughter might have plans on Saturday night, I might also have plans which do not involve her. [emoji14]

Basically. [emoji14]

My son is a sweet, nice boy who I can trust home alone long enough to do something like go out to dinner.

My daughter is a cruel vicious tyrant who can't be kept home alone with her brother because she runs roughshod over his good nature and cannot be trusted. [emoji14] (MAY be slightly exaggerated)

Also keep in mind you can come play on the continuous game anytime you want. :p We always need gathering peons.... I MEAN FRIENDS AND COMPANIONS TO HAVE FUN WITH.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, the e-mail they sent me basically says that for us to have caves, we'd have to get a second dedicated server. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. Seems kind of shitty programming if you ask me. Minecraft didn't need a seperate nether server.

Yeah, the e-mail they sent me basically says that for us to have caves, we'd have to get a second dedicated server. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. Seems kind of shitty programming if you ask me. Minecraft didn't need a seperate nether server.
So what you're saying is that some coding decision they made way back when is coming to bite them in the butt.

--Patrick

So hey, we haven't done a Don't Starve Together in awhile.

What are the chances of finally doing Halforums Hunger Games? I was really looking forward to that.

GasBandit

Staff member
So hey, we haven't done a Don't Starve Together in awhile.

What are the chances of finally doing Halforums Hunger Games? I was really looking forward to that.
I still have the server!

Unfortunately the more I looked into the logistics of it, the less feasible it became, at least from a video standpoint. We can still play hunger games just to have fun, but skill differential might be a really big issue at this point - Dei and I put in over 80 hours together learning the ins and outs of not starving (basically reducing it to trivial), Ashburner was already pretty pro to begin with, and at the other end of the spectrum, we've got people who have only basically ever played on previous halforums nights.

Can still give it a try, though - the biggest challenge is scheduling. I know Terrik, Dei and I are pretty much good for whatever night, so if anyone else wants in, their schedule will be the limiting factor.

Yeah, I only have some experience with the game. I know the best areas to set up a camp (if that's even feasible in a Hunger Games setting) and know some of the tricks. Just not as well as some of you guys.

And I get what you mean about the video standpoint. It'd basically be Halforums Hunger Games Starring Gas Bandit. Which, if you died, would make tough, too. Hrm.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I only have some experience with the game. I know the best areas to set up a camp (if that's even feasible in a Hunger Games setting) and know some of the tricks. Just not as well as some of you guys.

And I get what you mean about the video standpoint. It'd basically be Halforums Hunger Games Starring Gas Bandit. Which, if you died, would make tough, too. Hrm.
It'd be different if we were all in the same place, all recording at once, so I could switch between viewpoints, but we're not. So a video is basically what you said... Halforums Hunger Games, GasBanditCam edition. And if I get eliminated, the rest of the match would basically go undocumented.

That said, we can still play it for fun, though as I said previously I worry about guys like Dave, Poe and Terrik with minimal hours in the game going up against Ash, Dei and Myself who, for a brief few weeks, ate, drank, slept and breathed Don't Starve Together.

Reactions: Dei