Export thread

Let's all not starve (Don't Starve Together)

Limit: 500

GasBandit

GasBandit

As referenced in the "What are you playing" thread, I'm interested in setting up a server and playing Don't Starve Together with other halforumites. But I need to get an idea of how many people are playing, because I plan to get a commercially hosted server and they charge by the slot. I'm thinking 6 slots at the moment, but if we have enough interest I could easily go 10 or more.

So how about it? Anybody interested in trying not to starve with Gas Bandit? Sound off!

About "Don't Starve Together":

Don't Starve Together is the multiplayer version of Don't Starve, a quasi-lovecraftian survival horror sandbox game with distinctive cartoony artwork.

The point of the game is straightforward: Survive (ie, don't starve). Dumped into a nightmarish isometric world, we lucky few will have to forage, garden, trap, fight and build our way into safety and sustainability as forces both natural and supernatural conspire to shuffle us off this mortal coil.

There are multiple protagonists to choose/be unlocked, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

There are three needs to satisfy - hunger, health, and sanity. If you get too hungry, you starve to death. If your health runs out, you die of your injuries. As your sanity drains away, you will begin to hallucinate, and as your sanity slips further away, your hallucinations will start to become real to you, and will attack or otherwise cause you harm. And if you're ever caught at night in the pitch black without a light... the terrible monster that stalks the darkness will surely devour you faster than you can call for help. And to make matters worse, winter is on the way... we will need shelter, warmth, and enough food to last when the snows come and foraging becomes literally fruitless.

The key to survival will be in a cooperative mixture of science, sorcery, brain and brawn, braving the mundane dangers of the natural world and the horrifying dangers of the unnatural world.

It won't be easy.

We're likely to starve.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm in to starve with you guys! I've got a number of hours under my belt, so I actually know quite a few survival tricks. Not all of them, mind you, but some. I'm not so good in the later part of the game, like winter or brewing magic. But yeah, I'm in.

As I said in the Castle Crashers thread, I work until about 6 PM my time (Atlantic) and have Sundays and Mondays off. Most nights, I'm home by myself, so I'm good for most game nights.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm in to starve with you guys! I've got a number of hours under my belt, so I actually know quite a few survival tricks. Not all of them, mind you, but some. I'm not so good in the later part of the game, like winter or brewing magic. But yeah, I'm in.

As I said in the Castle Crashers thread, I work until about 6 PM my time (Atlantic) and have Sundays and Mondays off. Most nights, I'm home by myself, so I'm good for most game nights.
Part of the rationale behind me getting us a dedicated server is so that, while I'd LIKE us all to be on at the same time for better video-making, we can conceivably have anyone get on at any time - much like a minecraft server.

Dave

Dave

Hey! I've got that game! I've never played it. I think I got it in a Humble Bundle. This might be a good time to fire it up.

Let me know when you gots da server.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Part of the rationale behind me getting us a dedicated server is so that, while I'd LIKE us all to be on at the same time for better video-making, we can conceivably have anyone get on at any time - much like a minecraft server.
We're going to need to examine the mechanics of how multiplayer works first. I know that if everyone on a server is dead that it resets but I don't know if that includes people who are offline or not.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We're going to need to examine the mechanics of how multiplayer works first. I know that if everyone on a server is dead that it resets but I don't know if that includes people who are offline or not.
I think that's configurable. I know it's configurable whether time passes when nobody is on the server or not (and I think we should definitely keep that set to NO).

Dei

Dei

I don't think I own the co-op one yet, but I'd get it if we were playing together.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't think I own the co-op one yet, but I'd get it if we were playing together.
If you own the single player one, supposedly you should have the multiplayer version, too. Might check your library when you get home.

Dei

Dei

I indeed do. Set up remote install because who shuts off a computer anyways. [emoji14]

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If you own the single player one, supposedly you should have the multiplayer version, too. Might check your library when you get home.
And if you buy the multi-player version, you get a free beta access to toss out to your friends (or maybe it's the full game, I dunno).

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I own this game!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I…might own this game? I'm not sure.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

So how does multiplayer work in this game? Can you build villages and shit? Can we plant stuff so that we won't clear out the surrounding areas and starve?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So how does multiplayer work in this game? Can you build villages and shit? Can we plant stuff so that we won't clear out the surrounding areas and starve?
To a degree. You can build walls and shelters, build "farm" plots where you can plant seeds to grow vegetables, and you can use shovels and pitchforks to move and replant turf and plants. So, conceivably, we could build our own "village" type enclosure consisting of the fixtures we need (science machine, alchemy engine, chests and iceboxes for storage, a crockpot, and of course the all-important fire pit for warmth/light in the center), maybe even put up some tents and bedrolls in there though really sleeping through the night isn't mandatory and is often counterproductive unless your sanity is critically low. At the same time we can scour the map for things like berry bushes and transplant them closer so that we can regularly pick berries.

To get all this going we'll need a lot of resources. Not just stone and wood for the walls and buildings and fire, but we'll need poop. A lot of poop. For fertilizer. Farm plots occasionally need to be fertilized, and when you transplant a berry bush it needs to be fertilized after planting or it won't bear fruit. The best source for manure is from a herd of Beefalo, so if we can find a herd that would be ideal - just got to be careful around mating season, they get aggressive. But if we're in a pinch, we can also get manure from pigmen (pigmen villages are fairly common) by giving them food then grabbing the manure they leave behind. It's less economical but better than having no manure. Also, you can fertilize things with rotten biomass - IE, just leaving something out to rot until it becomes suitable.

To start, we'll need these basic resources in large amounts.
Grass (from tall tufts of grass)
Twigs (from saplings)
Flint (found lying on the ground in rocky areas)

These are fairly common and can be found easily - they require no tools to harvest, and are the basic building blocks of simple tools, traps, etc like axes, picks, and snares. Also with a little ingenuity, you can make backpacks and spears. Our tools will wear out and break with use, too, so we'll need a steady supply of the above to manufacture replacements.

The next thing we'll need is large amounts of

Wood (from trees, the larger the tree the better, you get more wood from cutting them down)
Stone (from boulders)
Silk (from spiders and spider nests)

These resources are slighly more involved, as they require tools (or combat, in the case of silk) to harvest. Can't cut down a tree without an axe, need a pick to break up a boulder, and if you're going to attack a spider nest, you'd best have a spear and some manner of protection, even if it's a log armor vest. Maybe bring a friend to help, too.

The wood is used both in building things and as fuel for fire (and being caught in the dark with no light is almost instantly fatal, there's a Grue in this game whose name, ironically, is Charlie). Stone is used in a lot of emplacements - the fire pit, some of the crafting stations, our crockpot for cooking, and of course, it'd be best to build our walls out of stone instead of grass or wood - those things burn like crazy. Silk is also important for making clothing, shelters, snares and other things that need fabric. Killing spiders also drop spider glands, which can be used as healing potions, or can be refined into "Telltale Hearts," which are used to restore dead players to life, for a cost.

All the while we also need to be on the lookout for gold, nitre, and whatever other resources and items we can find that might be useful. It's not just the natural elements trying to kill us, there will be fearsome creatures that will begin to hunt us a week or so in, and we'll need to be ready to fight them (or at least hide from them). And then winter will arrive, and food will be extremely scarce. So in addition to doing all the above, we'll need to be constantly foraging for enough food not only to keep us from starving in the short term, but also to enable us to last the winter.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Something that Gas forgot to mention: the entire first part of the game is essentially "eating stuff off the ground until we find gold for the science machine". In order to build more advanced items and such, you need workshop machines like the Science Machine and the Alchemy Machine... and the number one thing you are building towards in the early game is getting those up and running and then getting some gears for at least one icebox before Winter hits. Winter makes getting food hard, so you ether need to be good at hunting by that point or have built a stockpile.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I might as well go over the available characters, as well.

Wilson:

Wilson the Gentleman Scientist is the first available character in the game. He requires no playing time to unlock, has average stats across the board, and no significant disadvantages. His primary advantage, pragmatically speaking, is that he is the only character that can grow a beard. If you do not shave the beard, in 16 days it will grow so large as to cover his entire body and give him good added protection from the cold of winter. Shaving the beard at any stage of growth provides a small boost to sanity.

Willow:

Willow the Firestarter is the next character unlocked after gaining 160 exp (surviving a full day gets you 20 exp). This young pyromaniac has the advantages of being immune to fire damage, and starting with her own lighter which functions as a weak but inexhaustable torch - which can be used for light or for setting things on fire. However, her max sanity is much lower than Wilson's, and the further her sanity drops, the more likely she is to start fires at random.

Wolfgang:

Wolfgang the Strong-Man unlocks at 320 exp. When his belly is full, he moves faster, hits harder, and has more max health than any other character. However, Wolfgang is terrified of the dark, and things that go bump in the night - he loses sanity 10% faster where darkness or monsters are involved. Also, he gets hungrier faster, and if he goes too long without eating, he gets wimpy.

Wendy:

Wendy the Bereaved unlocks at 640 exp. She had a twin sister, Abigail, who died, and subsequently she is a very morbid little girl. She has the same basic stats as Wilson, but loses sanity more slowly when dealing with the dark or the supernatural. She also carries a wilted flower in her inventory which takes a few days to bloom, and when it does, she can use it to summon the ghost of her sister, who will then follow her around and assist her in combat. To balance this, Wendy's own attacks are 25% weaker than most others.

WX-78:

WX-78 the Soulless Automaton unlocks at 960 exp. It starts off extremely weak, but by eating gears, it can upgrade to become very strong, eventually even stronger than Wolfgang. WX-78 can eat spoiled food with no adverse effects. It is damaged by being out in the rain, but if it gets struck by lightning, it will instantly heal it to full, give it a 50% movement speed buff, make it a light source and make it immune to freezing, all of which lasts roughly 1 day.

Wickerbottom:

Wickerbottom the Librarian unlocks at 1280 experience. Being a knowledgable person, she can craft items at 1 tier lower crafting station than would normally otherwise be required, has extremely high maximum sanity, and can write books that have various effects when read. However, she is an insomniac and cannot sleep. Also, she is extremely adverse to food spoilage - eating any food that is not fresh will have severely reduced benefits, and if the food is spoiled it will lower her sanity as well.

Woodie:

Woodie the Lumberjack unlocks at 1600 exp. Being a lumberjack, he's extremely adept at chopping down trees, and even has a special named axe which never degrades or breaks. However, he suffers from a bizarre curse... whenever the moon is full, or he gets too carried away with chopping wood, he will turn into a Werebeaver. That... can't be good.

Wes:

Wes the Silent... just... don't bother. Wes was put into the game as a challenge to people who thought Don't Starve was too easy. He can't talk, his stats are awful, he does less damage, loses sanity faster, gets hungry faster, and overall just is awful. His only advantage is that he can make balloons which act as explosive decoys. He's unlocked by performing certain tasks in single player Adventure mode.

Maxwell:

Maxwell the Puppet Master, aka "William Carter," is also unlocked by performing certain tasks in the single player Adventure mode. He is dapper, but frail, and can fragment his own mind to make shadow puppets that do his bidding. He also starts with very powerful items in his inventory to give himself an advantage early on. His dapper style makes his sanity regenerate quickly, though he has the lowest max health in the game.

Wigfrid:

Wigfrid the Performance Artist unlocks at 1920 exp. She looks fearsome, but is actually a method actor immersed in her role as a Valkyrie. She has high health, starts with good combat equipment, has good damage and defense bonuses, and gains health and sanity from killing things. However, she can only eat meat. Foraging for berries and veggies, or food grown in farming, will be useless to her.

Webber:

Webber the Indigestible is unlocked from performing certain actions in the Reign of Giants DLC. As a monster, he can befriend spiders in the world by feeding them which will convince them to follow and help him in combat, but other creatures which would be hostile to spiders are also hostile to him. He can also grow a beard made of silk. It grows faster than Wilson's beard but only provides 3/4ths the warmth in winter, and shaving it provides silk instead of beard hair. His max sanity is also on the low side, so you have to be careful about not going insane quickly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I recommend giving the game a try in single player mode first, to get a feel for how things work. I probably won't have the server set up until sometime next week, as the beginning of the Cowboys football season is kicking my ass here currently (I'm actually still at work, working on that very thing, right now). Couldn't hurt to get a basic familiarity with the game's mechanics in the meantime.

Dave

Dave

I played a little last night to test it out and actually made it to day 5 before I stopped playing. I never starved, nor did I die. I learned a lot about the early game including trapping and MURDERING cute little fluffy bunnies. I also found poop but got rid of it because I didn't know what it was for. I do have a few questions.

• Eating berries and cooked food makes you less hungry, but what exactly helps your health? I saw some benefit from eating leaves, but only a minuscule amount.
  • You run out of inventory space really fucking fast. Is there a way to store stuff?
That's it for now. I did get a science thing and learned how to get new recipes. So in the 5 days I played I found the beefalo and gold so I guess I got lucky or did okay.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Notes on the Characters... also, ignore the XP requirement thing because everything is unlocked in Don't Starve Together, probably to facilitate the ongoing beta.

Wilson - The Beard is very helpful in winter, but an issue in Summer. Shaving the beard also gets you a rare ingredient for making something that acts sort of like an extra life.

Willow - I believe starting fires also increases her sanity? Not sure about this one.

Wolfgang - Completely straight forward.

Wendy - I like Wendy a lot. To summon her sister, click on her flower to see if it's fully charged. If Wendy says that Abigail is near then it is fully charged. Then you summon Abigail by dropping the flower on the ground and killing a creature close to it. Abigail doesn't do a lot of damage but she can tank pretty well.

WX-78 - Gears are always at a premium and rain is a constant issue in Spring. This makes WX-78 a great way to piss off your friends.

Wickerbottom - She's straight forward.

Woodie - Werebeaver is absolutely worthless in Don't Starve Together. The Axe is nice though.

Wes - Don't play Wes.

Waxwell - He's not in Don't Starve Together or at least he wasn't when I checked.

Wigfrid - The only real problem with Wigfrid is stocking up enough meat without other players. Fighting is a bit tougher in DST.

Webber - Webber is a bit like a more reasonable hard mode than Wes. Having EVERYTHING aggro on you sucks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I played a little last night to test it out and actually made it to day 5 before I stopped playing. I never starved, nor did I die. I learned a lot about the early game including trapping and MURDERING cute little fluffy bunnies. I also found poop but got rid of it because I didn't know what it was for. I do have a few questions.

• Eating berries and cooked food makes you less hungry, but what exactly helps your health? I saw some benefit from eating leaves, but only a minuscule amount.
  • You run out of inventory space really fucking fast. Is there a way to store stuff?
That's it for now. I did get a science thing and learned how to get new recipes. So in the 5 days I played I found the beefalo and gold so I guess I got lucky or did okay.
Eating fancy crockpot cooked food also restores health. Using spider glands restores a small amount of health. They can be made into healing salves which heal more. Honey poultices also can do that, if you get a bee box going. Eating butterfly wings restores 8 health (same as spider glands), though if the butterfly drops butter (rarely), that can heal 40.

More info: http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Health

As for inventory space, you can make a backpack almost immediately out of grass and twigs. That will give you 8 more carrying slots, and you can also drop them on the ground to use as storage that way. Once you get a science machine up and running, you can then refine boards from wood, and use the boards to make storage chests. If you're lucky, you'll find Chester during your explorations, a living friendly chest who will follow you around (but not fight, and can be killed). You can have him follow you to be a pack mule, or leave him at base to act like a regular chest.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Eating food gives you health, but not all food is equal. For instance, flower petals only give you 1 health. Cooking and eating one of the mushroom varieties can give a bit more health than normal but I think it's also a great way to get yourself killed too.

As for inventory space... you can dump stuff on the ground but some things (like food) can be eaten by enemies, including things like pickaxes, gears, and gold. You can build boxes to hold stuff by turning lumber into boards and then boards into boxes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Eating food gives you health, but not all food is equal. For instance, flower petals only give you 1 health. Cooking and eating one of the mushroom varieties can give a bit more health than normal but I think it's also a great way to get yourself killed too.
Eating a raw blue mushroom restores 20 health, but costs 15 sanity.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Eating a raw blue mushroom restores 20 health, but costs 15 sanity.
Right... which is why it's a good way to kill yourself: low health often means low sanity, which means healing this way could kill you.

On that note, don't make Telltale Hearts at low sanity. It's possible to go crazy.

Dei

Dei

Yes, feel free to wait a week, when I will actually be home!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, feel free to wait a week, when I will actually be home!
Well, I don't know if an entire week will go by, but I definitely won't be ready to get anything started before the end of this week.

Siska

Siska

Oooh, I haven't played this game in forever!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, I've procured a server, and I'm getting the basic idea of how to set it up.

We need to decide... what game mode do we want to play?

Endless - players who die become ghosts, and can resurrect themselves at the server's entry portal (in addition to the usual means). Even if all players die, the world continues.

Survival - players who die become ghosts, which cause sanity drain for other players around them. They can not resurrect themselves at the entry portal (only though in-game means such as touchstones or being fed a telltale heart by another player). If all players die, the world resets.

Wilderness - there is no portal, players start randomly dispersed throughout the world. Players who die are kicked back to character selection (no ghosts).

Also, if anybody has any input about tweaking how many of what is spawned, I'm willing to listen. Also, bring up any mods you might want. My inclination is to keep it vanilla, but we can talk about adding a mod if it's reasonable and not unbalancing.

Dave

Dave

Don't know. Don't care. I'll play whatever.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, if anybody wants to fool around on the server while we work all this out (currently it's in endless mode with vanilla parameters), just search for "halforums" in the server list, server password is gasbandit (one word, all lower case).

I've got a rudimentary camp just south of the entry portal, feel free to take what you need but try not to burn the place down, and if you harvest anything (trees, farm crops) try to replant it for the others.

I'd like to organize a group "don't starve" session sometime in the coming week for us all to get on at once, possibly with the server reset to survival mode instead of endless. Using backups of the saves, I can swap between worlds, so the server can run the endless map when we're not doing anything, and for group (youtubed) play sessions, I can swap out the save to the Survival world, or something like that.

Dei

Dei

I'm getting home in a couple of days, but I think I'll be busy Wed/thurs/Fri this week

Dei

Dei

Also I'd rather people be able to continue playing since death is pretty inevitable.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

As entertaining as fear of death would be for Wilderness mode, the scattering and perma-death sounds a little harsh, plus there's no guarantee the different characters will actually meet up in that case.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also I'd rather people be able to continue playing since death is pretty inevitable.
As entertaining as fear of death would be for Wilderness mode, the scattering and perma-death sounds a little harsh, plus there's no guarantee the different characters will actually meet up in that case.
Yeah, I don't think wilderness mode is for us. So it comes down to survival or endless. There's resurrections available in both, just one is easier than the other (endless is easier).

Dave

Dave

I got an error message when trying to log in. *sigh*

"[string "scripts/saveindex.lua"]:109: blah blah blah

GasBandit

GasBandit

I got an error message when trying to log in. *sigh*

"[string "scripts/saveindex.lua"]:109: blah blah blah
From what I read, it's a windows 10 problem.

Dave

Dave

But I was able to play it the other day! Is this a multiplayer issue?

GasBandit

GasBandit

But I was able to play it the other day! Is this a multiplayer issue?
Yeah, seems to only happen when joining a server

GasBandit

GasBandit

I tried playing solo a bit (not on the server, just my own game hosted open to friends), and I thought I'd survive the winter for once through my ingenuity.

And then I got hunted by scottish walruses, chased by living trees, and finally stomped to death in my own tent by a giant deerclops.

nnnyyyyerrghh.

Dave

Dave

But you did not starve.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But you did not starve.
Indeed. As the deerclops ground me into paste, my last sight was my fully stocked icebox.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shall we start setting a time for our official first attempt? As Dei says she's gonna be busy all week, I'm thinking saturday, 9est/8cst? Anybody have any input?

Dave

Dave

I would but I can't. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

I would but I can't. :(
I've been there and feel your pain. Early adopters get burned a lot.

Dei

Dei

I can at least boot into win 7, but it's not my SSD. Would only affect my INCREDIBLY SLOW LOADING OF WINDOWS anyways.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can at least boot into win 7, but it's not my SSD. Would only affect my INCREDIBLY SLOW LOADING OF WINDOWS anyways.
Well, you might try connecting to the server on win 10 just to see if you can, when you get home. Just because windows 10 is the common thread in the people who are having problems, doesn't necessarily mean everybody who has windows 10 is affected. Who knows what all other variables are in play.

Dei

Dei

I'm free on Wednesday now, but Saturday might be better for more people.

Also I did connect to the server just fine without needing to boot into caveman mode.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, we can talk about Wednesday. Anybody else up for Wednesday?

GasBandit

GasBandit

@ThatNickGuy ? @AshburnerX ? @PatrThom ? @Ravenpoe ? @Siska ? @Zero Esc ? Anybody else feel like giving it a try wednesday night?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hang on, gotta see if I have this game somewheres.
Should probably go through all my Humble purchases anyway, I don't even know what all I have.

Lessee...Amnesia: Dark, Bastion, Braid, Limbo, Lone Survivor, Psychonauts, Super Meat Boy, Superbrothers, Virus TOM, Bastion (again), Brütal Legend, Eets Munchies, FEZ, FTL, Limbo (again), Mark of the Ninja, Rocketbirds, Trine 2, all the Sid Meier games, Deadlight, Van Helsing, Galactic Civ II, Terraria, Crusader Kings II, King of Fighters, AoE Legacy bundle (dangit I bought this one again because I didn't know I had it!), Legend of Grimrock, Orcs Must Die2, and PixelJunk Eden.

Hm. I thought sure that Don't Starve would have to be in there somewhere.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

@ThatNickGuy ? @AshburnerX ? @PatrThom ? @Ravenpoe ? @Siska ? @Zero Esc ? Anybody else feel like giving it a try wednesday night?
I'm game.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If we set a time, I can be there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

9pm Eastern work for everybody?
(8pm central, 7pm mountain)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sure, I'm in.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

9pm Eastern work for everybody?
(8pm central, 7pm mountain)
Alarm set. I plan to be there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We'll probably all want to make use of the Halforums Ventrilo server, too, so if any of you don't have ventrilo, this would be a good time to get it. It's free.

PatrThom

PatrThom

We'll probably all want to make use of the Halforums Ventrilo server, too, so if any of you don't have ventrilo, this would be a good time to get it. It's free.
How about adding some happy link action on that mention so we can find the thread with all the settings? Yes I know it's easy to find but I'mmmm laaaaazyyyyyyyy...

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

How about adding some happy link action on that mention so we can find the thread with all the settings? Yes I know it's easy to find but I'mmmm laaaaazyyyyyyyy...

--Patrick
Hell, it's changed over the years, I don't even remember where to look, here. I'll look up the settings I have when I get home, I know those work, I tried it out last weekend.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I assume it's the same one we used last time.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Why don't we just use the Steam voice chat?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Because not everyone has Steam voice chat.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

--Patrick
But...it's built into Steam? I don't understand.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Because compared to ventrilo, Steam voice chat is actually very laggy and feature barren. Ventrilo lets you do things like adjust the volume for individual users independently, or even have it apply a hard limit filter so that you don't get SUPER DEAFENING people and super quiet people. There's other stuff too. Also the audio quality is generally better in ventrilo. Given that the client is free and Dave's already paid for the vent server, we may as well use it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

But...it's built into Steam? I don't understand.
I can Ventrilo from my phone. My PC has no mic.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

--Patrick
If you have steam you have steam voice chat, and if you are playing Don't Starve Together, you have steam.

It was a valid question, it just had a very good ventrilo-favoring answer.[DOUBLEPOST=1439937820,1439937775][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can Ventrilo from my phone. My PC has no mic.

--Patrick
Well, also that, I guess. I, too, have used ventrilo from my phone when I wasn't at my home PC.[DOUBLEPOST=1439937978][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok, tested it with my phone, and yep, that's the one.

halforums.typefrag.com
Port 5660

Also, hilariously enough, I seem to have left my home PC logged into it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Pumped for tonight. If anybody needs help getting ventrilo set up, I should be home an hour or two before our scheduled start, and can assist then.

Dei

Dei

If I somehow forget, I'll be home, just spam the shit out of Steam until I reply. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Spamming the shit out of @Dei, commence!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Welp, not playing that again. Died way too much (even for me playing this game) and didn't feel like I was helping in any way at all.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Welp, not playing that again. Died way too much (even for me playing this game) and didn't feel like I was helping in any way at all.
Dying is normal, and in the mode we're playing not really that huge a deal. But if you weren't enjoying it, then yeah, might not be for you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's how it finally ended on day 29. A pack of no less than 12 hounds descended on Ashburner and I, the last two remaining survivors.

2015-08-19_00001.jpg

Well, we didn't starve. (Matter of fact we were extremely well fed... turns out ice mined from glaciers counts as filler, so one morsel plus 3 ice makes meatballs.

If only we'd built those walls. We both had log suits and spears and a flock of pengulls to assist us and the hounds just mowed us down like nothing.

Over the next few days I'll see if there's any footage worth making into a video.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And really, we had every disadvantage against us. We didn't find Beefalo (which were apparently within a few minutes walk) so no fur for suits/ear muffs and we started our farms late, we had no gears so no ice box, and all that ice we were using for filling meant we'd have no ice in summer (not that it would LAST till summer without the icebox).

Still, we didn't starve. I'll call that a win.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ahh shit, turns out I had my mic turned down somehow last night, my voice on the footage is SUPER QUIET >_<

PatrThom

PatrThom

Didn't get home 'til 9:30 and it looks like I don't have the game anywhere.
Still, for $15 I might be persuaded to pick it up in time for next time if next time's time is more timely.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Didn't get home 'til 9:30 and it looks like I don't have the game anywhere.
Still, for $15 I might be persuaded to pick it up in time for next time if next time's time is more timely.

--Patrick
Mmm, if you're just going to buy it for us, you might hold off, I'm not 100% certain we'll do this again. It was really frustrating for some people.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I had actually considered getting it when it was on Steam sale but didn't and now I'm regretting the lost opportunity a little bit.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Mmm, if you're just going to buy it for us, you might hold off, I'm not 100% certain we'll do this again. It was really frustrating for some people.
And it's completely understandable WHY they were frustrated. Don't Starve is a game that doesn't want to tell you how to play, yet demands you figure it out quickly or you'll have lost the game days before you actually die. Worse, it's perfectly willing to deny you easy access to the resources you need to live. We had that problem with the Beefalo: had we gotten them in a better position, we'd have gotten enough manure to do our farms and berry bushes way earlier (letting us focus on using berries as filler instead of meals early on) and had plenty of fur to make ear muffs/breezy vests to survive the winter. Instead, food was a constant issue until winter and this meant we didn't have enough time to get walls up or to get basic necessities.

I GET why people wanted out. It's not fun to lose at a game you don't know how to play... you just feel like your being punished. Worse still was the fact there really wasn't anything they could do to prevent it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Don't Starve is a game that doesn't want to tell you how to play, yet demands you figure it out quickly or you'll have lost the game days before you actually die.
This isn't without precedent. There's a fairly large (vocal?) segment of the gaming community out there who believe todays games are too easy and for whom beating a game on the hardest difficulty is still not satisfying enough of a challenge. Games like this and Dark Souls (I assume) were created to fill this niche, introducing a new metagame where learning how to play the game is part of the game, and where the developers' (imagined) laughter at your constant deaths as you suss it out is part of what spurs you on.

I'm not against this, really. I'm actually really happy that people are finally doing something other than glorified memorization games such as DDR, most shooters, platformers, etc. I absolutely do not enjoy a game that is less a test of skill and more a matter of playing it enough times so you know the patterns/where the enemies will spawn/how the level is laid out/where the power-ups are located.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dwarf Fortress. Losing is Fun!™

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This isn't without precedent. There's a fairly large (vocal?) segment of the gaming community out there who believe todays games are too easy and for whom beating a game on the hardest difficulty is still not satisfying enough of a challenge. Games like this and Dark Souls (I assume) were created to fill this niche, introducing a new metagame where learning how to play the game is part of the game, and where the developers' (imagined) laughter at your constant deaths as you suss it out is part of what spurs you on.

I'm not against this, really. I'm actually really happy that people are finally doing something other than glorified memorization games such as DDR, most shooters, platformers, etc. I absolutely do not enjoy a game that is less a test of skill and more a matter of playing it enough times so you know the patterns/where the enemies will spawn/how the level is laid out/where the power-ups are located.

--Patrick
Dark Souls doesn't quite fit into this equation. They give you at least some tutorial in the Undead Asylum (via notes you can read) and give you places where you're forced to learn how some things work (like narrow hallways that force you to switch up your attacks) and there is NOTHING random about it'd design... everything is where it is for a calculated reason. Don't Starve just kind of dumps you into the world and doesn't tell you anything... you aren't given the controls or even basic instruction on what your priorities are (Getting food, getting twigs and flint for tools, finding a gold vein to build your Science Machine).

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, and imagine if you had a random chance of being dumped into dark souls and not finding a weapon until after the first boss.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, and imagine if you had a random chance of being dumped into dark souls and not finding a weapon until after the first boss.
To be fair, this is a Souls tradition: encountering the first boss way before your ready to fight it. And you get fairly rewarded if you actually manage to win (and it IS winnable)... beating the Asylum Demon with just your broken sword (and maybe the fire bombs you picked as your starting gift) nets you the Demon Hammer, which is incredibly strong for the stage of the game you get it in. Managing the same feat in Demon's Souls get you an early upgrade item that helps a bit too and you get to pick up a bunch of useful items later. Beating a tough early enemy in Dark Souls 2 gets you a ring that is very much worth the trouble and beating the Beast on the bridge in Bloodborne gets you some upgrade stuff earlier than you would otherwise.

More to the point, it's supposed to be a fight you can't win: they are telling you it's okay to run if you have to.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've never actually played Dark Souls, I was just going on reputation. Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress are probably better examples.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm gonna look like a complete pansy idiot when I basically rage quit not long after this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm gonna look like a complete pansy idiot when I basically rage quit not long after this.
You were our first casualty, but not the last.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, here's episode 2... I gotta hit the sack. More to come in the future.

[DOUBLEPOST=1440133988,1440133653][/DOUBLEPOST]PS, my subscribers hate you and your shitty mic, Ash.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Alright, here's episode 2... I gotta hit the sack. More to come in the future.

[DOUBLEPOST=1440133988,1440133653][/DOUBLEPOST]PS, my subscribers hate you and your shitty mic, Ash.
I've turned down my output (It was set a lot higher back when my mic was almost completely silent and I forgot to turn it down) but the only real way to get rid of the wind tunnel effect is to turn off my fan... which means my room quickly approaches 90-100+ degrees after a bit, as I have to close my door in order to not disturb everyone else in the house. I can try this next time, but it is COMPLETELY awful.

EDIT: Doing a brief bit of testing, the issue is Ventrillo, not my mic. I can use Steam Chat or Skype without that background noise... turning off the fan works too, but it only matters if I'm using Ventrillo.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I saw y'all all playing this when I logged on the other night... I hadn't been checking here that much, so I was curious about what was going on.

Looked up the game, hemmed and hawed, then gleefully went and TORPEDOED ALL THE SHIPS in World of Warships.

It looks like fun, in a much harder "Banished" kind of way, but I don't have the fundage spare right now.

Dei

Dei

Oh dear god, I started a Wilderness game and I have everything I need EXCEPT ONE FUCKING PIECE OF GOLD, so it's Day five and I still have no science machine. *cry*

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh dear god, I started a Wilderness game and I have everything I need EXCEPT ONE FUCKING PIECE OF GOLD, so it's Day five and I still have no science machine. *cry*
The stripey boulders are the ones with gold.

Dei

Dei

Let me rephrase, I have been stripping the landscape of every rocky bit in any unexplored area I come to and have still not found a stripey one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Let me rephrase, I have been stripping the landscape of every rocky bit in any unexplored area I come to and have still not found a stripey one.
Oh dear, that's not good.

I don't suppose you lucked out and found a Pig King?

Dei

Dei

Sadly no, but I started practically right on top of a Beefalo herd, two fishing ponds, and a spider biome.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sadly no, but I started practically right on top of a Beefalo herd, two fishing ponds, and a spider biome.
How about a graveyard? If there isn't some already lying about, you can dig some up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei gon' starve.

Dei

Dei

Honestly, starve no. Get slaughtered by monsters, yes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Honestly, starve no. Get slaughtered by monsters, yes.
Name trope aside, I've never actually starved in this game. I always die by violence. Being out of food propels me to ever more insane antics to try to get the food, which usually gets me killed.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Name trope aside, I've never actually starved in this game. I always die by violence. Being out of food propels me to ever more insane antics to try to get the food, which usually gets me killed.
...just like real life!

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

Huh, this kinda looks fun.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Huh, this kinda looks fun.
You might want to watch the rest of the episodes before you make that call.

Siska

Siska

I always get eaten by wolves. I don't know how to not be wolf edible!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I always get eaten by wolves. I don't know how to not be wolf edible!
Log suit. It absorbs 80% of incoming damage. Grass suit if you can't make one by then, it absorbs 60%. Try to run the dogs around if you can, kite them, get in a hit when it's safe to do so (like when one stops to bark for a while).

The next video (working on it as I type this) has our first hound attack in it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Log suit. It absorbs 80% of incoming damage. Grass suit if you can't make one by then, it absorbs 60%. Try to run the dogs around if you can, kite them, get in a hit when it's safe to do so (like when one stops to bark for a while).
If you are close to them, Beefalo and Penguins make great distractions for the Wolves. Run into these mobs and try to get the wolves to attack them... it'll go one of three ways:

- The don't aggro and you need to try again.
- They aggro and get killed by the friendly mobs. Pick up your monster meat and wolf fangs.
- They aggro and kill the friendly mobs (but still take damage). Mop up the remainder and collect your meat/fur/eggs.

Dei

Dei

I made camp in the middle of the Beefalos for this reason. Then I accidentally hit one and it was bad until puppies came.

GasBandit

GasBandit

While the next episode is rendering, here's the best crockpot recipes, for reference:

Meatballs -
One morsel of any sort, three filler (including ice but not twigs). Also, monster meat and 3 filler works as well. Fills 62.5 hunger, 3 health and 5 sanity.

Meaty Stew -
Meat value of 3 (morsels/drumsticks count 0.5), any filler other than honey, twigs, moles, mandrakes or tallbird eggs.
For example, meat, monster meat, morsel, morsel would make the stew. Fills 150(!!) hunger, 12 health, 5 sanity.

Turkey Dinner -
two drumsticks, a meat filler and either a fruit or vegetable.
For example, two drumsticks, monster meat, berries. Or two drumsticks, morsel, carrot. Fills 75 hunger, 20 health, 5 sanity.

Trail mix -
A roasted birchnut, one unit of berries, one fruit based filler (another berries would work) and a twig. Doesn't really sate hunger (12.5), but restores 30 health. 5 sanity.

Dragon Pie -
If you get a dragonfruit from your farm (it's rare), cook it with 3 twigs. Restores 75 hunger, 40 health, 5 sanity.

Honey Ham -
Monster meat, 2 morsels and one honey. Restores 75 hunger, 30 health, 5 sanity.

There are lots more recipes, but these are the most convenient/efficient ones I found.

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

While the next episode is rendering, here's the best crockpot recipes, for reference:

Meatballs -
One morsel of any sort, three filler (including ice but not twigs). Also, monster meat and 3 filler works as well. Fills 62.5 hunger, 3 health and 5 sanity.

Meaty Stew -
Meat value of 3 (morsels/drumsticks count 0.5), any filler other than honey, twigs, moles, mandrakes or tallbird eggs.
For example, meat, monster meat, morsel, morsel would make the stew. Fills 150(!!) hunger, 12 health, 5 sanity.

Turkey Dinner -
two drumsticks, a meat filler and either a fruit or vegetable.
For example, two drumsticks, monster meat, berries. Or two drumsticks, morsel, carrot. Fills 75 hunger, 20 health, 5 sanity.

Trail mix -
A roasted birchnut, one unit of berries, one fruit based filler (another berries would work) and a twig. Doesn't really sate hunger (12.5), but restores 30 health. 5 sanity.

Dragon Pie -
If you get a dragonfruit from your farm (it's rare), cook it with 3 twigs. Restores 75 hunger, 40 health, 5 sanity.

Honey Ham -
Monster meat, 2 morsels and one honey. Restores 75 hunger, 30 health, 5 sanity.

There are lots more recipes, but these are the most convenient/efficient ones I found.
Important: Fish only count as a morsel. This is because Fish is INCREDIBLY easy to get if you have access to a pond.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Important: Fish only count as a morsel. This is because Fish is INCREDIBLY easy to get if you have access to a pond.
If you have easy access to fish, and can grow corn, you have an even better recipe.

Fish Tacos:
Fish + popcorn + two sticks. Refills 20 hp, 37.5 hunger, and 5 sanity.

Fish sticks:
Fish + only one stick + two fillers (that aren't sticks). Refills 40 hp, 37.5 hunger, 5 sanity. Great for cheap healing. Don't add more than one stick though, or you get wet goop (unless your other filler is corn, in which case you get fish tacos).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If you have easy access to fish, and can grow corn, you have an even better recipe.

Fish Tacos:
Fish + popcorn + two sticks. Refills 20 hp, 37.5 hunger, and 5 sanity.

Fish sticks:
Fish + only one stick + two fillers (that aren't sticks). Refills 40 hp, 37.5 hunger, 5 sanity. Great for cheap healing. Don't add more than one stick though, or you get wet goop (unless your other filler is corn, in which case you get fish tacos).
Good to know, but it was more a warning to everyone else. I know I dumped a bit of that fish I got into the crockpot to try and make Meaty Stew and ended up with... nuggets, I think?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Good to know, but it was more a warning to everyone else. I know I dumped a bit of that fish I got into the crockpot to try and make Meaty Stew and ended up with... nuggets, I think?
Meatballs. You get nuggets if you use honey.

PatrThom

PatrThom

With surprise guest-star Steve!

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

@ThatNickGuy has a deeper voice than I would have imagined.

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Those boomerangs are quite handy. Too bad you need silk for them and I'm pretty sure you get more morsels from fishing poles for the same silk.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

GasBandit: "Aaaah! The bees are chasing me! <pauses> Oh, look. Seeds. Better get those. <resumes running> Aaaaaaaah!"

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Stupid mute button.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

In retrospect, I feel bad for leaving. :(

GasBandit

GasBandit

In retrospect, I feel bad for leaving. :(
Hey, if you're not having fun, you're not having fun.

And trust me, things start to go downhill for everybody else pretty quickly after this point, too.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hey, if you're not having fun, you're not having fun.

And trust me, things start to go downhill for everybody else pretty quickly after this point, too.
I was feeling pretty low that night. But I'm down for a second go around sometime.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was feeling pretty low that night. But I'm down for a second go around sometime.
Me too! I've even settled on who I want my character to be.

HELLO, FELLOW HUMANS!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

1:35 "AHHHHH!!" That cracked me up so hard. :D

Dei

Dei

Yeah, I prefer Willow to Winifred myself.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm disappointed that you haven't had "Comity!" pop up when befriending pigmen.

Dave

Dave

1:35 "AHHHHH!!" That cracked me up so hard. :D
That was me. And I didn't piss them off, someone else did. I was just walking that way and they went, "Hey! Let's sting THAT guy!!"

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm disappointed that you haven't had "Comity!" pop up when befriending pigmen.
The friendship of pigmen is fleeting and fickle. Besides, I wasn't trying to get him to be my friend, I WANTED POOP[DOUBLEPOST=1440348063,1440347967][/DOUBLEPOST]

figmentPez

figmentPez

The friendship of pigmen is fleeting and fickle. Besides, I wasn't trying to get him to be my friend, I WANTED POOP
If you wanted poop, why did you keep feeding him seeds? :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you wanted poop, why did you keep feeding him seeds? :p
I thought maybe it'd take more than one :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just lost my best Don't Starve single player game. After 63 days. Plenty of food (even with an icebox it was starting to spoil). 7 advanced farms, 15 berry bushes, lightning rod, all the science trimmings and even a tent, all surrounded by stone walls.

The fucking hounds got me anyway. Because stupid fucking birds were landing inside my enclosure, which motivated the hounds to keep at the walls until they broke in. I was hiding in my bush hat in the hopes they wouldn't have done exactly that... and the fire went out and my thermal stone cooled off and I started to freeze to death. So I had to try and fight.

Well, I got a couple of them before they ate me.

Hounds are fucking bullshit.

I even had two meatlure plants around outside my enclosure to fend off hounds, but during the winter those things close up shop and hibernate.

Dave

Dave

My son plays this game and L4D2. Would you guys be open to his joining us next time?

GasBandit

GasBandit

My son plays this game and L4D2. Would you guys be open to his joining us next time?
Sure. I just saw Shorts Booter pop into a server I was on a sec ago. He wandered out into the night and died :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

How many players do we have now? Can we have everyone play a unique character? Assuming everyone would be willing to, if two people both really want to play Wilson then so be it, but I think it's more interesting when everyone has their own distinct character.

That and I can't tell you lot apart in-game otherwise.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shorts would make 7 if everybody in the first one comes back. The server can take 8. I call Wilson.

It won't be for a while though because I've only made it through half the footage from last time :p

Dei

Dei

I call Willow

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've already called Webber. The child with a heart of gold. And spiders.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd be happy to join as Wickerbottom, but I have no single-player exp under my belt yet.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I'm honestly thinking we might want to make multiple camps spread out in the world so we don't have 7 of us trying to use the same immediate space.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm honestly thinking we might want to make multiple camps spread out in the world so we don't have 7 of us trying to use the same immediate space.
You don't want my spiders cuddling with you?

Dei

Dei

It's more that I'd rather have food. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Next time, I think we might try Wilderness mode. We spawn scattered. We don't ressurect.

Oooh! Maybe turn PVP on! HALFORUMS HUNGER GAMES

PatrThom

PatrThom

That sounds less fun.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1440379018,1440378999][/DOUBLEPOST]
That sounds less fun.

--Patrick
I'm just spitballing ideas.

Dei

Dei

You can come back in, you just start in a new random spot and don't have any stuff. If you can hunt your stuff down again you get it back.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Bah. Go on without me, I accidentally bought the wrong thing and now I want to wait for them to straighten it all out before I redeem any keys.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

We aren't playing again today or anything. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

We aren't playing again today or anything. [emoji14]
Yeah, next weekend at the VERY earliest.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Started a new game (hosting it in Together, so steam friends can join if they want, this time if they happen to feel so inclined when I'm playing). After a really close fight with a merm (ended with ONE hp), I discovered how awesome trail mix is. In your crockpot, put a cooked beechnut, berry, berry stick. Cheap, fast, instant 30 hp heal. Doesn't do much for hunger but it is easier to come by than spider glands or honey poultices.

Also I'm kinda getting the hang of the timing on killing bunnies with a spear. Not perfect yet, but I've managed to get the morsel about 1 in 3 attempts so far.

Also I live in fear of poison beechnut trees.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and it turns out we could have cleaned up those skeletons by using a hammer to turn them into bone shards. The bone shards can be used, among other things, to make buckets of poop out of three manure and some wood, which lets you fertilize 10 things for the price of 3. Also they can be used to put out fires, oddly enough.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

By the way, Gas, I realized something while watching the videos: when you're digging up bushes, you're picking at them first. You can actually just dig up the bush and it'll drop whatever you need to pick off it, too. So both berries and the bush will pop up if you dig it up with the berries still on it. It's a small time saver.

GasBandit

GasBandit

By the way, Gas, I realized something while watching the videos: when you're digging up bushes, you're picking at them first. You can actually just dig up the bush and it'll drop whatever you need to pick off it, too. So both berries and the bush will pop up if you dig it up with the berries still on it. It's a small time saver.
Turns out I've been doing all kinds of things the long way. I found out the day after we recorded that stuff that you can hit spacebar to make your guy "do whatever is nearest/most obvious" like chop a tree if he's holding an axe or pick up any nearby item. In those videos above? Every single chop of the axe was a click of the mouse. I could have just been holding down the space bar!

Dei

Dei

You can just hold down the mouse button too. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

Having played briefly on a server that uses it, I highly recommend the Food Values Item Tooltips mod. It adds on-mouse-hover tooltips to items, such as the eponymous refill values of the foods, but also shows time remaining on campfires and number of uses left on tools/how much damage items do in combat/armor condition/thermal insulation. You can also hold down CTRL to see how much time is left before food goes stale/spoils, and hold down ALT to see the values of what the food would refill if you cooked it (by itself on a fire), and both CTRL+ALT to see how long that cooked item would last.

Tonight I'll see if I can figure out how to add the mod to the server.[DOUBLEPOST=1440447577,1440446978][/DOUBLEPOST]Another mod that looks good (though I haven't tried it, but I plan to) is Always On Status, which expands the top right status gauges to show more useful information such as seasonal progression, current temps for both ambient and character, moon phase and dampness. It also displays the numerics without having to mouse over them.

It's a client-side-only mod, so it'll work both solo and on any server you play on without affecting anyone else's game.[DOUBLEPOST=1440447683][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll also be looking into installing the Global Player Icon mod on the server, to help avoid the "where are you/where'd you go/where do I go" stuff. Assuming the next play session is still cooperative.

Dei

Dei

So it's horrible cheating really, but if we're going to have so many people in one area again, we might want to extend the time for autumn just to give us more time to get our shit together (Both literally and figuratively).

GasBandit

GasBandit

So it's horrible cheating really, but if we're going to have so many people in one area again, we might want to extend the time for autumn just to give us more time to get our shit together (Both literally and figuratively).
Eh, we can lessen the cheating factor by, say, making ALL the seasons longer... but even at standard length, last session was four hours long (non trivial for 30-something adults like us, some of whom have kids).

But in the end, it wasn't winter that killed us (well, it killed YOU but you forgot to take one of the thermal stones we made :p ), as you can see in the most recent video, the copious amounts of ice available in the winter worked as filler. Between the pre-winter hound attack and all the bunny traps and bird traps, we had enough food to make it through. No, what finally drove the nail in our coffin was.... well, you'll see :p

But anyway, the vanilla server software lets me control all kinds of things. I could start us in spring, if we were so inclined. The problem there is, without ice stockpiled, summer can be as deadly as winter. The game does have heatstroke (damage from overheating) ;)

Or, I could remove spring and summer from the rotation and double the duration of Autumn and winter, I suppose - make it a long running pre-ROG type game but with ROG assets still in place.

Dei

Dei

Haha, spring is so horrible though. especially if it rains for so long that you have FROGS EVERYWHERE and you don't have an umbrella or anything. As an aside, by the time we got to winter as well, we were down to half as many people. If we were still feeding 7 underequipped people food would still have been hard.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Haha, spring is so horrible though. especially if it rains for so long that you have FROGS EVERYWHERE and you don't have an umbrella or anything. As an aside, by the time we got to winter as well, we were down to half as many people. If we were still feeding 7 underequipped people food would still have been hard.
Feeding a ton of people isn't too hard if you can get a decent sized farm going or even a beery... but our unavailability of poop basically made it impossible for us to self sustain and required us to forage heavily. Once you can count on having at least SOMETHING on the plate every night, you can start going after monsters to get some of the better tools... for instance, a fishing rod requires a silk but can get you 10+ morsels in a single day if you have a pond nearby... more if you can get some frogs on the trip. And you can fish at a pond as often as you want I believe... I've never seen one run out. That's basically infinite meatballs if you can get filler going.

Trail mix is actually a fair bit harder. You need birch nuts, which only spawn from chopping down full size birch trees. You get two a tree, but you'll want one to replant closer to home and that means you only get 1 trail mix a tree, max. Worse, you can't grow birch trees in winter so you have to stock up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

As has been stated before, our two major strikes against us were no beefalo, and no gear for an icebox.

In fact, I didn't see a tumbleweed the entire night, and I know they exist, I've seen them on other servers.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I thought maybe it'd take more than one :p
For future reference, pigs only poop when fed
vegetables, fruit, or petals.

I haven't played the game, but I was watching Let's Plays of it for a while, and I often had to consult the wiki to understand what was going on.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, I think I have the food and item tooltip mod running correctly on the server. It works for me, anyway, but I also have it installed as a client.

Can anybody else log into the server and verify the info tooltips are now working? I've reset the map to a new world since the other one was in the dead of winter and uninhabitable.

Dei

Dei

I can in an hour or so, not right now. Did you want it checked without the mod installed client side?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can in an hour or so, not right now. Did you want it checked without the mod installed client side?
Yes, that is the idea. If I've done my job right, it should automate the mod process client side without users having to go get the mod themselves the hard way.[DOUBLEPOST=1440463964,1440463831][/DOUBLEPOST]Nick just tested it for me, it works. Cool cool cool.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Alright, I think I have the food and item tooltip mod running correctly on the server. It works for me, anyway, but I also have it installed as a client.

Can anybody else log into the server and verify the info tooltips are now working? I've reset the map to a new world since the other one was in the dead of winter and uninhabitable.
What am I looking for? Everything looks the same to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1440467879,1440467810][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind, they're working. They take a second to pop up

Dei

Dei

Waaaaah I got to Day 24 and a Fire Hound got into my base and burned all my shit up. :cry:

GasBandit

GasBandit

What am I looking for? Everything looks the same to me.[DOUBLEPOST=1440467879,1440467810][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind, they're working. They take a second to pop up
I noticed that for some reason you have a huge ping time to the server. Maybe that has something to do with it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, I don't see any harm in trying it, but honestly I'm rather underwhelmed by the performance of walls against hounds so far. If a hound sees so much as a bird land inside your walls he won't stop chewing on the wall until it breaks.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, I don't see any harm in trying it, but honestly I'm rather underwhelmed by the performance of walls against hounds so far. If a hound sees so much as a bird land inside your walls he won't stop chewing on the wall until it breaks.
Yeah... walls are pretty dependent on you having a ranged weapon like blow darts to defend them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah... walls are pretty dependent on you having a ranged weapon like blow darts to defend them.
And, as is in keeping with how Don't Starve likes to fuck with us, the active ingredient in blow darts is hound tooth.

I'm thinking a more effective defense would be a wall with an open front entry tunnel lined with hound tooth traps, rather than enclosed doors/entry mazes and blow darts.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Tooth_Trap

1 blow dart costs 1 hound tooth and does 200 damage. Tooth trap does 60 damage per hit (approximately 2x regular spear damage) but can be reset and used 10 times for that same 1 tooth, plus no having to hunt down reeds or trap birds - the other components are rope and log.

Heck, don't even need a wall, then.. just make a cluster of tooth traps off to the side, and when the hounds come running, kite them over the traps... whoever is getting chased runs the hounds in circles, whoever is not getting chased resets the traps.

Dei

Dei

I like to wall myself in in the middle of a herd of Beefalo so that hounds are distracted. But I didn't find any the last time and that's how a fire hound burned down my shit and I rage quit. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like to wall myself in in the middle of a herd of Beefalo so that hounds are distracted. But I didn't find any the last time and that's how a fire hound burned down my shit and I rage quit. ;)
Yeah, those fire hounds are crap on a crap cracker. That's how I lost one of my protective meatlure plants in my now-failed best single player games, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Good host," coupled with baby noises.

:rofl:

Gas, please do more shit like that. It's hilarious. :D

EDIT: Goddammit, why do the smileys still show at the bottom, no matter where I place them? It's supposed to be in between those two sentences.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gas, please do more shit like that. It's hilarious. :D
Oh, I'm not shy about doing that sort of thing, it's just so far there wasn't much opportunities for meta bits like that, given how everybody else was in ventrilo.

But if you like that sort of thing you might want to watch the later episodes of Halforums Academy 2, say, starting on day 19.

Dei

Dei

I was bored and was screwing around on the server, I built a small camp off to the right of the portal if anyone else is going to screw around with it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was toying with the idea of making the server permanently autumn when just idling in "screwing around" mode between group gaming sessions.

Otherwise, jumping in late is a seriously life threatening situation.

Dei

Dei

Well I dropped a campfire and thermal stone at the portal and left some stuff in chests at the camp. In theory, we could set things up well enough to keep people from dying outright. But yeah, I don't actually care if it resets again. There is a whole giant Beefalo area nearby the camp to kite hounds around as well.

Dei

Dei

As an aside, since Don't Starve Together currently sells as a 2 for 1 package right now, does anyone have an extra copy? I want to give one to my husband, but my son and I both already have it, so I'd rather not buy 2 copies. Also willing to go halfsies with someone who maybe still wanted to buy a copy?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So I played a bit by myself on the current server. The camp's looking pretty good. Good place to set it up right next to beefalo and plenty of places to set rabbit traps.

I also went hunting for some gold. Built a bird cage and a lightning rod, just in case. Though the bird cage is useless without a bird and I didn't see any spiders nearby in order to get the required silk to build a bird trap.

Dei

Dei

I did find spiders, but I'd have to log in to remember where they are. Also a ton of frogs and fish ponds directly south.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

Holy shit I didn't know this game had a Workshop! Here's MY votes for favorites:

Smarter cooking! - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365119238&searchtext= (does not work if you are using a controller)

Detailed Tooltips! - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360722606&searchtext=

Anything that gives more bag space![DOUBLEPOST=1440643215,1440643187][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hrmm... any second for Dei's suggestion there?
Sounds good to me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

And will the Always On Status mod not work because we are dedicated client?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Holy shit I didn't know this game had a Workshop! Here's MY votes for favorites:

Smarter cooking! - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=365119238&searchtext= (does not work if you are using a controller)

Detailed Tooltips! - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360722606&searchtext=
Smarter cooking is client only, so you can just load that in yours and it should work for you no matter what server you play on.

Detailed tooltips is included in the tooltips mod I already implemented on the server.

Anything that gives more bag space!
Nah, that's blatant cheating ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1440643421,1440643379][/DOUBLEPOST]
And will the Always On Status mod not work because we are dedicated client?
No, it works, you just have to install it yourself. I'm using it, it works.

Other ones, like the tooltip mod, I've got on the server, so it will apply it even if you don't have it on your client.

Dave

Dave

So question about the last video - which the series is excellent, by the way. When you were being chased by the dogs, why couldn't you jump into the wormhole to get away? Do they follow you?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So question about the last video - which the series is excellent, by the way. When you were being chased by the dogs, why couldn't you jump into the wormhole to get away? Do they follow you?
A few reasons -
1) I never went through it so I wasn't sure where it went.
2) The sun was going down, in winter, which meant I would freeze to death if I stayed away from the campfire for too long, and I think the hounds would either follow me overland and catch me at a slightly later time, or merely wait for me to return to camp.
3) The animation for jumping into a wormhole has you stand still for 3 or 4 seconds, which is plenty of time to get eaten by 9 hounds.

Dei

Dei

I also kind of like the pickling mod, but that is probably toeing the line.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404983266&searchtext=cooking

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I also kind of like the pickling mod, but that is probably toeing the line.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404983266&searchtext=cooking
Yeah, that's a little too far into cheater territory

PatrThom

PatrThom

And only one person starved.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I JUST WANT CAVES FOR FROG RAIN BECAUSE IT IS THE WORST THING EVER.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I JUST WANT CAVES FOR FROG RAIN BECAUSE IT IS THE WORST THING EVER.
Ha ha ha... alright, alright. I'll add the mod, but it won't take effect until we restart the map.

Dei

Dei

I'm aware. I'm the only one really even screwing around on the server between legit games anyways. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm aware. I'm the only one really even screwing around on the server between legit games anyways. ;)
Ehh, the console show me Nick is also popping in.

Dei

Dei

He popped in once last night, he even posted about it. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

He popped in once last night, he even posted about it. ;)
And technically I've hopped on a few times myself! But really all I was doing was testing to make sure mods worked.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll pop in after I get my misclick purchase sorted.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

And today on "Gas Bandit learns something that would have been REALLY useful to know earlier," the F key will automatically attack the nearest hostile creature (Ctrl-F will attack neutrals, like pigmen or beefalo).

That would have been nice for that hound fight. Not that I would have won, but...

Dei

Dei

Would using the map sharing mod be cheating? I mean, we still have to FIND it. I dont' know if you listed that one already, but I'm going to guess no.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Would using the map sharing mod be cheating? I mean, we still have to FIND it. I dont' know if you listed that one already, but I'm going to guess no.
I looked for one but didn't see it. Frankly I think if we're playing co-op, it SHOULD share the map. Can you link it?

Dei

Dei

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462469447&searchtext=map

is one I found, but comments say it only works for the host, so I dunno. I don't know if that could be solved by everyone having it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462469447&searchtext=map

is one I found, but comments say it only works for the host, so I dunno. I don't know if that could be solved by everyone having it.
Yeah, according to the comments, it's busted... Only the host can see the shared area. I'll try loading it up and forcing it on the clients and see if that works.

Also it doesn't "save" the shared area, so even if it does work, logging out will reset your "seen" area to only what you personally have seen.

Dave

Dave

I played a little bit today. Came on to the server and it was raining. I died. Next day I got some stuff finally and was able to start going towards the camp. Made it to the beefalo area and it started raining again. Frogs. I didn't stand a chance. I'll come back to it later.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I played a little bit today. Came on to the server and it was raining. I died. Next day I got some stuff finally and was able to start going towards the camp. Made it to the beefalo area and it started raining again. Frogs. I didn't stand a chance. I'll come back to it later.
...it was raining frogs? But I haven't put in the biome mod yet...

Dave

Dave

I tell you it was raining fucking frogs. I couldn't just sit by my campfire under my straw hat because the little fuckers kept swarming.

You think I'm fucking playing here? FROGS, MOTHERFUCKER!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ah, I think I misunderstood Dei's posts about caves and frog rain. She wants the caves to ESCAPE from the frog rain... not to implement cave biomes to cause frog rains.[DOUBLEPOST=1440712959,1440712650][/DOUBLEPOST]The wierd thing is, the wiki says frog rain is only supposed to happen in spring... did you guys survive winter already?

Dei

Dei

I lived through winter yes, though Nick's birdcage got stomped by the Deerclops. SORRY!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ah. Quick tip: the same traps we use to catch rabbits live, instantly kills frogs (as in, you collect the trap, it has frog legs in it instead of a frog).

I lived through winter yes, though Nick's birdcage got stomped by the Deerclops. SORRY!
If that's all the damage he did, I'd say you got off light.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Noooooo! My precious birdcage! :(

Dave

Dave

WHAT? Traps kill frogs and give food?!? Damn it. I could have had lots of food for my long, rainy night alone by the fire.

GasBandit

GasBandit

WHAT? Traps kill frogs and give food?!? Damn it. I could have had lots of food for my long, rainy night alone by the fire.
Provided the frog ends its jump on the trap. It can jump over it without getting trapped. so it takes a bit of doing sometimes.

Dei

Dei

Well, honestly, I don't know how well it will work come summer, there's still time to find ice, but I have yet to find gears either. I plan to make an endothermic fire, but that will only go so far.

The Deerclops came after my camp twice, but I managed to lure him away pretty quick so I didn't lose too much that wasn't immediately fixable. He got my alchemy engine once as well.

Also, if you ran to the Beefalos, you went too far. How much of the world did you cover in frogs?

Dei

Dei

OH, the spiders I was thinking of are really close, be on the east side of the river that is NE of camp, just be careful because the nest is huge now.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Can I just say I don't really like the idea of modding the cave content on the main map? I don't mind tweaking things like the UI or showing what recipes make what, but I don't really like changing the core game to that large a degree.

Dei

Dei

It really only adds things that are in the single player version, and will most likely be implemented in the future.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, if the reason you want the cave content is to avoid the frog rain, it won't work. It doesn't add the cave entrances back on the map, it makes the overworld have cave biomes sewn and stitched into it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also, if the reason you want the cave content is to avoid the frog rain, it won't work. It doesn't add the cave entrances back on the map, it makes the overworld have cave biomes sewn and stitched into it.
Oh, if that's the case, I would be against it.

Dei

Dei

I will say that I started a game with the mod with semi hilarious results

GasBandit

GasBandit

I uh... found a whole lot of dead beefalo parts. I think the frogs must have swarmed them

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

GasBandit

GasBandit

You're not going to believe this... a fucking meatlure plant spawned RIGHT in the portal entrance.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There, I burned it out, so it won't EAT new people coming into the server. It's ridiculous, it literally spawned in the exact middle of the portal.

Dei

Dei

Rain is dumb

GasBandit

GasBandit

Summer sucks. all the camp's grass and twigs burned up spontaneously... was all we could do to save the berry bushes.

Dei

Dei

Pretty sure that was us failing somewhere. Probably involving ice that we didn't have.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Pretty sure that was us failing somewhere. Probably involving ice that we didn't have.
And gears. The spontaneous combustion is the next step after withering. If we'd built an ice flingomatic, it would automatically have revived any withering plant, and put out any smoldering objects.

Oh, one more thing... even the science machine can potentially burst into spontaneous flame during summer, according to the wiki.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Don't eat monster lasagna.

Also, don't accidentally click on a pigman when you're holding a pick while you're trying to feed them.
On the other hand, now I know what a touchstone does.

Also, why does everything I want to build cost something like 200 cut stone and 80 gold?

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Because you are playing ultra hard mode?

PatrThom

PatrThom

No, it just seems like I can't find gold anywhere.
Lucky me, I found a wormhole that leads to an area rife with gold and boulders.
Unfortunately it also has birds galore and a walrus that killed me (for the second and final time).

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Don't eat monster lasagna.

Also, don't accidentally click on a pigman when you're holding a pick while you're trying to feed them.
On the other hand, now I know what a touchstone does.

Also, why does everything I want to build cost something like 200 cut stone and 80 gold?

--Patrick
My character practically lives on monster lasagna. But then he's also part monster.

GasBandit

GasBandit

a walrus that killed me (for the second and final time).

--Patrick
I hate that guy.

Dei

Dei

My game that I started with the cave mod on started right next to clockwork guys. WINNING.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Made it throuhg the summer, even managed to build up some food and save all the berry bushes.

Fuckin giant badger came and ate all the food out of the camp, even what was in the chests.

Dei

Dei

:(

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now he's just hanging out by the bunnies just northwest of the camp. I rebuilt most of what he destroyed (couldn't rebuild the drying rack though) and the farms are back in full production because it's autumn. Even had a hound attack which I dragged to the beefalo for protection so there's some monster meat to make meatballs with in the food chest.

And chester has a couple bunnies in him, still. They'll probably need to be murdered within the next night or two before they starve into rot, though.

Dei

Dei

The Beechnut trees have shed their leaves. I managed to store a bunch of jerky but never managed to get back out to try to get gears, because yuck, bishops.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I hates bishops. So much.

Dei

Dei

We've made it through two winters and our camp is in pretty good shape....

FOR NOW.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Despite THREE Deerclops stomping sessions.

We finally have an icebox, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, also the camp is now drizzled in tooth traps. It's still more effective to lead hounds to the beefalo herd to the east, but the tooth traps should really help with the frog rain. Just right-click to reset a trap after it has fired, each one gets 10 uses. They're really cheap to manufacture too, takes 1 hound tooth, 1 log, and 1 rope. We've still got like 17 hound teeth.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Survived yet another summer, but all the farms burned down... rebuilt them around an ice flingomatic. Can't get the mod that regulates flinger behavior to work right, so the campfires have to stay off to the side or else the flinger puts them out.

Flinger's shut down now that it is autumn, though.

Dave

Dave

I'm still impressed with myself when I make a shovel.

Dei

Dei

Most of our actual game time is spent kiting things through Beefalo and marveling over the trash we find in Tumbleweed. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei and I actually also established a secondary base camp at the north end of the badlands past the swamp in the northeast. Although, calling it a "base" is a little generous, it's a couple firepits with a crockpot, an ice box and a couple boxes.

It's the prime spot for gathering tumbleweeds (which is where we've been getting all our gears so far), but there's pretty much no food to be had there - so you'll have to truck your own food up there for however long you want to stay to hunt tumbleweeds or mine boulders. The icebox will help keep it from going bad. Maybe next year we can get some farms going, if we get enough parts for another Ice Fling-a-matic. It also needs a lightning rod. I got struck by lightning like three times, while Dei watched and laughed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also interesting! The ice flingamatic makes farms continue to grow successfully in summer. The crops don't wilt when they regularly get pelted with snowballs. Takes some of the sting out of summer. The machine must be regularly fed fuel (wood, rot, manure, whatever burns same as you'd use in a fire pit), however, and if you're standing on something it wants to cool down, you might get frozen. Dei actually managed to freeze to death in 60+ degree C weather.

I find Manure to be the easiest and most renewable fuel source, since we're so close to the beefalo.

Dei

Dei

I was moving our flammable items into fling range while we replaced our chests and met my sad fate.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also also - we've got plenty of bone chips, so if you're going to use manure as fertilizer instead of fuel, it's best to make a bucket-o-manure out of 3 manure, bone chips and wood. You can't use the bucket to refuel firepits or the flingamatic, but it can still be used to fertilize farms/bushes/etc and to extinguish smoldering objects before they burst into flame. 10 for the price of 3 is a really good deal.

Dei

Dei

I am contemplating building a road to the other camp so it doesn't take as long. That might be more effort than I am willing to expend though. Debating. Deerclops season is almost upon us.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I am contemplating building a road to the other camp so it doesn't take as long. That might be more effort than I am willing to expend though. Debating. Deerclops season is almost upon us.
Yeah. I have been reading up on Deerclops... seems that how his AI works is, when he spawns, he targets whatever structure is nearest to the player (dunno how he chooses which player in multiplayer).... so what we might want to do is build a small "fake" base to stay at over the winter, only making runs for food to the "real" base and back, so that deerclops can destroy our fake base and then be on his way.

For everybody else, here's a crude map of the area I made, not to scale (it's a 10 second run from the portal to the camp, but a 24 hour trek from the main camp to the badlands camp)

I'd suggest making the "fake" base in the forest to the east, south of the swamp, so that if it happens to survive the winter, it can be a waystation/halfway point along the trip to the badlands. It's also near enough the beefalo for hound protection and manure gathering.

Dei

Dei

This map is totally wrong because spiders are ABOVE the swamp, then it's forest, and then it's badlands/grasslands. :p Also there's about 5 fish ponds below our base.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, I was doing it out of memory while at work, so yeah, it's not entirely accurate. Also I never ventured very far south of the base, so that's good to know.

We still need a lot more reeds to finish making booster shots. Another good reason to have a camp near the swamp.

Dei

Dei

Yeah, I went to get reeds. But I'm going to be shooting up more than a junkie at the rate I'm going. :p

Dei

Dei

I read a strat that involved kiting Deerclops into a grove of trees so that he spawns a tree guardian and that kills it. Also, you can run him over.... 34 traps?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I read a strat that involved kiting Deerclops into a grove of trees so that he spawns a tree guardian and that kills it.
Hrm, that might work if you help the tree guardian... the first time I got killed by a deerclops in single player, he actually did pick a fight with a tree guardian after killing me... but because the deerclops attacks freeze, the tree guardian was killed. Maybe if you keep the DC chasing you instead of stopping to fight the TG, then run them in circles...

Dei

Dei

Also, I am dying too much to make collecting reeds fruitful as I am just using the booster shot I just made to die to another tentacle while getting my stuff. I am clearly not fit to play this game right now, so I'll get my stuff later. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1441045051,1441044608][/DOUBLEPOST]
2015-08-31_00001.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you watch the ground carefully, you can see the swampdirt start to move a few seconds before a tentacle would pop out. But yeah, if you're dying a lot, it'd be counterproductive.

Maybe what we need is to find another swamp.

Wish I was home playing instead of this work nonsense >_< I hate the start of the month, it's chaos.

Dei

Dei

I know, and I can usually dodge em, until I see something shiny on the ground, and my map is at a bad angle, and my attention span is at a low point. (Mostly the last, which is why I stopped playing)

Dave

Dave

Technically it's the END of the month.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Technically it's the END of the month.
I work ahead. It's the beginning of the month giving me piles.

Dave

Dave

So you're the Gas and TIME Bandit.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I keep waiting for everyone to play and not starve together again, because playing separately just feels like singleplayer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I keep waiting for everyone to play and not starve together again, because playing separately just feels like singleplayer.
Watch your steam friends. I mostly hop on if I see somebody else go on DST. So far, that's usually been Dei.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Once I even accidentally jumped into her own personal game because I just hit "join game" on the steam friends list because it was faster...

I logged back out again real quick after a hasty apology. It kinda felt like I'd accidentally walked into the wrong restroom.

Dei

Dei

Honestly, the funniest thing about playing as Willow is that when our camp spontaneously burst into flame in the middle of summer, it made her gleefully happy.

Dei

Dei

I played through Autumn. I got a bunch of Rocky Turf (no where near enough), got some more gold, laughed at the idiocy of many a turkey, but didn't get all that much done besides stealing all the spider glands. :p

2015-08-31_00005.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

The very first night of winter, Deerclops came and destroyed the rainometer, the alchemy engine, and a farm. I've been able to replace the engine, but htat's all.

Dei

Dei

I just built that thing GD it. I hate that fucker.

Dei

Dei

So in the "should have been way more obvious" vein, we need to bonk moleworms with hammers, arcade style.

Dei

Dei

5 days of summer left. I was one rock short of building a new thermal stone, and I couldn't get far enough with the tools at hand to get another one, so I've mostly been doing things around camp. Got the Prestihatitator built though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

5 days of summer left. I was one rock short of building a new thermal stone, and I couldn't get far enough with the tools at hand to get another one, so I've mostly been doing things around camp. Got the Prestihatitator built though.
Well, isn't that also why we harvested 80 ice?[DOUBLEPOST=1441129228,1441129122][/DOUBLEPOST]Holy shit, it takes 2 electrical doodads to make ice usable to cool you down? RIP OFF.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Ice_Cube

IMO you should just be able to eat ice like berries for an instant 5 degree or so reduction in temp.

Dei

Dei

I haven't really had anything pressing to do in the summer anyways besides catching rabbits and crying about hounds. Also trying to not run into that damn spider nest on the way back from the Beefalo.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven't really had anything pressing to do in the summer anyways besides catching rabbits and crying about hounds. Also trying to not run into that damn spider nest on the way back from the Beefalo.
Oh yeah, I meant to take care of that... but I had to go to bed.[DOUBLEPOST=1441129527,1441129464][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I assume no more catastrophic fires in camp? And no Badger-bear thing attacks?

Dei

Dei

Well it's going to spawn another queen now. I'm saving it for the next time something big comes to town.

No fires, though I'm not entirely sure that I build the Magic Machine is a good place. *I* was getting hit with ice where I built it, so hopefully it's in the circle.

No Badger YET. If I play again before you do, I plan to try to kite him off if he shows.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think the two of us can probably take down that nest before it spawns a queen, if we've got fresh spears, log suits, and we set traps up around it and lure the hunters (green/yellow spiders) into the tooth traps. The regular spiders are cake to stunlock and melee down.

Dei

Dei

I think we do have the stuff to build an Ice Cube, but I didn't want to spend the gold on it unless I had some pressing reason to do so. I could do anything I needed pretty close just by freezing myself to low temp and throwing on a straw hat and a whirly fan.

The Meatlure/Eye Stalks keep stirring up that nest as well, which is really the worst issue.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think we do have the stuff to build an Ice Cube, but I didn't want to spend the gold on it unless I had some pressing reason to do so. I could do anything I needed pretty close just by freezing myself to low temp and throwing on a straw hat and a whirly fan.

The Meatlure/Eye Stalks keep stirring up that nest as well, which is really the worst issue.
Meatlures are easy to kill, you just have to get the first hit in on each eyeplant, and each eye will die in one hit. You don't have to kill all the eyes, just enough to clear a path to the meatlure so you won't get attacked by the eyes while you beat it down. The rest of the eyes will despawn when the meatlure plant is killed.

Dei

Dei

Also seriously other people (@Dave, @Ravenpoe, @ThatNickGuy, @AshburnerX), if you want to play multiplayer, our camp is pretty self sufficient enough that you won't be at a disadvantage if you jump in late. Though I do recommend not jumping on for the first time unless you see Gas or I on, just to make sure you don't overheat or freeze at the portal, depending on season. If you logged off in the camp you're fine. Also you aren't really missing out on anything other than the trauma of Deerclops and that happens pretty often. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1441130267,1441130170][/DOUBLEPOST]
Meatlures are easy to kill, you just have to get the first hit in on each eyeplant, and each eye will die in one hit. You don't have to kill all the eyes, just enough to clear a path to the meatlure so you won't get attacked by the eyes while you beat it down. The rest of the eyes will despawn when the meatlure plant is killed.
I am saving that whole area for Beargar if he shows up. It's easy enough to avoid honestly. We could probably wall off the East side just to avoid my randomly going the wrong way when I don't pay attention.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fukken deerclops I swear to god. I was SO happy when that spider queen managed to kill him.. and then I was SO mad when that little shitty regular spider ate the deerclops eye before I could get to it.[DOUBLEPOST=1441130418,1441130311][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am saving that whole area for Beargar if he shows up. It's easy enough to avoid honestly. We could probably wall off the East side just to avoid my randomly going the wrong way when I don't pay attention.
Mkay. But if Beargar doesn't attack by autumn, I really think we should kill that meatlure and that spider nest... yet another queen would be bad news. It might put down a new nest uncomfortably close to camp.

Dei

Dei

That's my plan.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, yeah, guys, log in and stretch your legs. Camp is literally 10 seconds east of the portal, the icebox is stocked and there's resources around to get you started. But yeah, your first time you might want to wait to log on until you see Dei or I on to help you get your bearings.

Dei

Dei

Oh shit, I need to check the camp stores again, because carrying around a Chilled Amulet might be better than an Ice Cube. The Amulet lasts 6 minutes, but can be taken off to save time on it, whereas the Ice Cube is 4 days (unless stored in the ice box), only cools to 35, and gets you wet.

Dave

Dave

Feeling like I'm way behind is why I haven't been in lately. You guys are talking about all these advanced things and I'm over here going, "I made a stick!!"

Dei

Dei

Dude, we're seriously spending 90% of the time picking up poop and setting forests on fire.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Feeling like I'm way behind is why I haven't been in lately. You guys are talking about all these advanced things and I'm over here going, "I made a stick!!"
Dude, we're seriously spending 90% of the time picking up poop and setting forests on fire.
Yeah, the base pretty much takes care of itself at this point, we mostly have to forage for fuel for fires (and the ice flingamatic, which is the same fuel).

Apart, of course, from the seasonal attacks from 7 story tall yak monsters or godzilla-sized badgers.

It'd be nice though to have a noobservant to harvest logs and poop, leaving me free for expeditions in the badlands to try to retrieve more gears. That really is one hell of a schlep.

Dei

Dei

You can also totally establish your own base wherever you want if you want the joy of survival. I'd recommend staying near the Beefalo though. :) Even if Deerclops chose to kill 2/3 of our massive herd last winter instead of our base. (Fuck off Deerclops)

GasBandit

GasBandit

You can also totally establish your own base wherever you want if you want the joy of survival. I'd recommend staying near the Beefalo though. :) Even if Deerclops chose to kill 2/3 of our massive herd last winter instead of our base. (Fuck off Deerclops)
And if anyone does strike out on your own, feel free to take as much jerky and berries as you want. It's going bad faster than we can eat it.

There's a rudimentary camp just east of the beefalo, south of the swamp, right on the bend in the road there that I built. There's a fire pit, a science machine, and a chest there. I meant it as a deerclops decoy, but it didn't work out that way. There's lots of trees in the area and it's close to the beefalo herd.

Dei

Dei

There might be gears straight east, but honestly that trek is about the same. There is yet another random fire pit out there though.

Dei

Dei

1.) OMG the server is not up!

2.) If you want to have shenanigans ensue if we reset the server for filming purposes... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507638475&searchtext=

GasBandit

GasBandit

1.) OMG the server is not up!

2.) If you want to have shenanigans ensue if we reset the server for filming purposes... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507638475&searchtext=
1) Try it now, there was a steam update, so I had to update the server too.

2) Ha ha ha no.

Dei

Dei

So the freezing amulet worked. The downside is that it is a chest item so I have to drop my backpack while I drop my body heat, but it has no downward limit, so you can chill yourself, then swap your backpack and hat back on and keep going. It will also not go bad while sitting in your inventory. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is there any way to stow your backpack when you're not using it? There's so many times I want to swap in a log suit or something, but I don't want to have to hike back for my backpack just sitting there on the ground later.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

That's why you only put your log suit on to fight something, then swap your backpack back on.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is there any way to stow your backpack when you're not using it? There's so many times I want to swap in a log suit or something, but I don't want to have to hike back for my backpack just sitting there on the ground later.

--Patrick
What Dei said. It's part of the game's tough decisions dynamic.

Anyway, I cleared out the spider nest and the meatlure plant, hiked up to the badlands camp and spent half the autumn chasing tumbleweeds. Got only one gear, but also got some reeds and other sundries. Even found a rabbit in one of the tumbleweeds once. heh. Poor guy. Was delicious.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's the dead of winter right now. Tonight might not be the best night to log in if you're brand new.

Dei

Dei

We've gotten to the point where camp is a domestic affair and nothing is even as scary. It may be time to make a back up and have a fresh night for people who feel too intimidated. Though at the same time, I don't know think that we'll succumb to doom the way we did when you were recording before, so it might not even be worth it without a twist if you wanted such a thing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We've gotten to the point where camp is a domestic affair and nothing is even as scary. It may be time to make a back up and have a fresh night for people who feel too intimidated. Though at the same time, I don't know think that we'll succumb to doom the way we did when you were recording before, so it might not even be worth it without a twist if you wanted such a thing.
I dunno, it's a lot harder to feed 7 people than 2. Resource depletion will provide its own challenge, I am sure.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'd love to jump in with a server reset, myself. Can't speak for everyone else, though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, should we aim for this weekend for a new attempt, then? Say, saturday evening?

Dei

Dei

One half of my D&D group or the other is busy for the next three weekends, so I am good whenever. I am taking a gaggle of 4th grade girls to Elitch on Saturday, but the park closes at 4. I have no idea what our plans are for after that yet though, so I'll have to get back to you. Friday would be free for sure.

GasBandit

GasBandit

@Ravenpoe @Dave @AshburnerX @ThatNickGuy @PatrThom what are your schedules like this weekend?

Also, Ash, is it cooled off enough to not use the fan yet? :p

Dave

Dave

I don't know. On Saturday I'll be painting my mom's garage. On Sunday I have a meeting with my improv troupe. I have no idea what times either of those will be done.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

@Ravenpoe @Dave @AshburnerX @ThatNickGuy @PatrThom what are your schedules like this weekend?

Also, Ash, is it cooled off enough to not use the fan yet? :p
I'm willing to turn it off, but it's going to be awful. Just give me a time to be there.

Dei

Dei

After browsing through all of the custom characters people have made on Steam Workshop, I am getting ideas. Sadly, I probably do not have the ambition to follow through with these ideas.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm willing to turn it off, but it's going to be awful. Just give me a time to be there.
Has anybody here successfully used steam voice chat for a 7 person party? How do you get back in if you get disconnected? Do you have to get invited?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

After browsing through all of the custom characters people have made on Steam Workshop, I am getting ideas. Sadly, I probably do not have the ambition to follow through with these ideas.
I've had a great time with Dipper from Gravity Falls. His book lets him build/refine a few things you'd normally need a machine for and he retains heat like he's always wearing a breezy vest. This is great for winter but can be a problem in summer.[DOUBLEPOST=1441208936,1441208898][/DOUBLEPOST]
Has anybody here successfully used steam voice chat for a 7 person party?
There's no reason why we couldn't, but I haven't tried. Regardless, I'm willing to turn the fan off.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've had a great time with Dipper from Gravity Falls. His book lets him build/refine a few things you'd normally need a machine for and he retains heat like he's always wearing a breezy vest. This is great for winter but can be a problem in summer.[DOUBLEPOST=1441208936,1441208898][/DOUBLEPOST]

There's no reason why we couldn't, but I haven't tried. Regardless, I'm willing to turn the fan off.
What's the steam workshop link for the Dipper character?

For that matter, guys, you can all look around in the workshop and if you find a custom character that you like (and isn't cheatingly imbalanced) I'll add it to the server for you.

Workshop character list:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=322330&requiredtags[]=character

Dei

Dei

Because in Vent I can have just voices go to my headset and keep game sound on my speakers! I think I can theoretically do it with Steam too, but the Detect Audio Devices button doesn't want to do anything for me.[DOUBLEPOST=1441209125,1441209082][/DOUBLEPOST]I added so many characters to my personal games. I really have to play with them more to get an idea of what is cheatingly unbalanced. I put Robin and Lucina from Fire Emblem in one game, though they are probably unbalanced in some form for sure. (Starting with a ranged and melee weapon, but basically Wickerbottom with no downside)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404499284&searchtext=reflet

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What's the steam workshop link for the Dipper character?
Dipper Pines

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel like I may need to get Ash an ionic fan for his birthday or something.

Dei

Dei

Ahahahahaha, I feel like I should use this one, just so I can die ALL THE TIME.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=447699651&searchtext=

GasBandit

GasBandit

And yeah those fire emblem kids are imba OP as fuuuuuuuk

Dei

Dei

I really just want to charm the Beefalo herds.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I really just want to charm the Beefalo herds.
That's what beefalo horns are for, right?

I mean, I did lead that one herd of beefalo to a toothy, barky death with a beefalo horn...

Dei

Dei

That sucked. ;)

Dei

Dei

Really if I had the follow through, I would make characters for our HFA avatars.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Really if I had the follow through, I would make characters for our HFA avatars.
That sounds like a LOT of work. And that's coming from a guy who made 29 forumite avatars screw and murder each other for over a year.

Dei

Dei

I did say I wouldn't have the motivation to actually do it for a reason.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ahahahahaha, I feel like I should use this one, just so I can die ALL THE TIME.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=447699651&searchtext=
If she is a catgirl, then why is she named "Fish???"
what are your schedules like this weekend?
Off Saturday, though I only have a single day's play under my belt, surviving to day 21. I'll try to get a few more hours of play in before the weekend, but first I have to finish leveling my Diablo char to 70 to get the seasonal perks (though he's level 63 right now).

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

You don't really have to be super experienced to play with us. :p

Dei

Dei

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=479169756&searchtext=

is another one I like, but I don't know if I can handle being a hippie. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1441216579,1441216107][/DOUBLEPOST]OMG
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421029894&searchtext=

I need this in my life. (Damn, it crashed my game though :/)

Dei

Dei

So I will say that if we are planning to play for FILMING purposes, we probably don't want to play on Endless. We can always put the other map back up after filming nights for extended play. Survival is probably the way to go, but at the same time, a lot of people probably aren't confident enough to play that way.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I will say that if we are planning to play for FILMING purposes, we probably don't want to play on Endless. We can always put the other map back up after filming nights for extended play. Survival is probably the way to go, but at the same time, a lot of people probably aren't confident enough to play that way.
I'm half tempted to try Wilderness, given that the map will show us all our locations (because I have that mod loaded), so it is possible for us to converge on each other. Starting interspersed will give us a better chance of avoiding the "no beefalo" problem we had last time, and also will let us gather up a whole lot of grass, sticks and flint as we travel to each other so that we don't immediately deplete the area around where we build the camp.

Dei

Dei

Well, the issue with Wilderness is that when you die you'll restart in yet another random location, as opposed to Survival where you'll turn into a ghost if you die and have to be resurrected by someone else. It's really up to everyone. Also that mod doesn't really work. It was only showing me where I last saw you, and that could have been a different mod showing me that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, the issue with Wilderness is that when you die you'll restart in yet another random location, as opposed to Survival where you'll turn into a ghost if you die and have to be resurrected by someone else. It's really up to everyone. Also that mod doesn't really work. It was only showing me where I last saw you, and that could have been a different mod showing me that.
Odd, it was showing me where you were every time I looked. Watched you move around and everything.

Dei

Dei

How close was I to you though? Because the game will show you that to a certain range.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How close was I to you though? Because the game will show you that to a certain range.
One of us was at the badlands camp and the other was at the main camp.

Dei

Dei

If you are still the host of the dedicated server, that might be why it works as well.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you are still the host of the dedicated server, that might be why it works as well.
The server doesn't know me any different from any other player, I'm totally separate from the server. Heck, I don't even have me marked as an admin.

Dei

Dei

Then I have no idea. I know I couldn't find you when you were in areas of the map I had never been to. Maybe that was the last time I checked.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Reading the comment thread of the mod, some people have it randomly stop working for no apparent reason. Guess it's not perfect.

Dei

Dei

Assuming we'll save our current map in some form, I did start building some more stuff around the portal and have been hanging out there, in an attempt to lure asshole away from our dwindling Beefalo populace.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Assuming we'll save our current map in some form, I did start building some more stuff around the portal and have been hanging out there, in an attempt to lure asshole away from our dwindling Beefalo populace.
Yeah, all I really have to do to start a new level is stop the server, rename the level folder, and start it again. Then when we're all dead, I delete the new world and rename the old folder back again.

Dei

Dei

I have 9 blue gems in Chester awaiting a full moon. As an aside, there's a neat mod that gives everyone their own Chester that might be worth implementing. Would make having to leave my backpack behind less annoying at the very least.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have 9 blue gems in Chester awaiting a full moon. As an aside, there's a neat mod that gives everyone their own Chester that might be worth implementing. Would make having to leave my backpack behind less annoying at the very least.
What, there's a Nether Chest mod for DS?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

We now have a Snow Chester. Mobile icebox![DOUBLEPOST=1441244840,1441244565][/DOUBLEPOST]
What, there's a Nether Chest mod for DS?

--Patrick
No, instead of interconnecting chests, it's just a living, furry chest that follows you around.[DOUBLEPOST=1441244968][/DOUBLEPOST]Also on my journeys today I found 55 glommer goop just laying around. This stuff is high octane fuel for both fire pits and machines like the flingamatic.

And I found a pan flute, which you can play to put all creatures around you to sleep... so... Deerclops insurance.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Server was acting really laggy last night, so we shut it down to ride it out. It's back up now. I added Dipper, Wynn and the catgirl thing to the mod list, though if you've already logged into the server on the current map I don't think it'll let you do character select until we make a new world.

Dei

Dei

Server was acting really laggy last night, so we shut it down to ride it out. It's back up now. I added Dipper, Wynn and the catgirl thing to the mod list, though if you've already logged into the server on the current map I don't think it'll let you do character select until we make a new world.
I'm still rubber banding. I wasn't at first, then it started up again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm still rubber banding. I wasn't at first, then it started up again.
Hmm, Klei's bug forum seems to indicate to me that this is an ongoing issue. Guess as worlds progress, and the complexity of the world increases and the number of entities within the world increases, it starts to really beat on the CPU, and the server is single threaded (only uses a single CPU core, so multiple cores don't really help).

It started up in the spring, I wonder if there's a bunch of frogs out there that tipped the balance over to more than the server could handle. But even getting rid of those would only be a temporary improvement at this point, I guess this is how you know when you've "won" don't starve together.

Dei

Dei

I'm just going to blame you exploring that whole new area of map. ;) But in all seriousness, it started for me a couple of days ago.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, I didn't notice it affecting the server's control panel and console until last night :p

Dei

Dei

Well, clearly that means it is time to start over anyways. I did already comment that we had reached easy mode. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, clearly that means it is time to start over anyways. I did already comment that we had reached easy mode. ;)
True enough... most of it now is just farming and lumberjacking within 50 yards of the base, and building more teeth traps. How many teeth did we have, was it? A hundred something?

Dei

Dei

We have 100 something in chests, and I'm sure there are more scattered around the Savannah that we didn't bother to pick up. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

As an experiment, see if the lag gets better if you leave the area of the main base.

Dei

Dei

Maybe I will load up Chester and explore some brave new worlds, where I will immediately die to a hound attack. ;)

Dei

Dei

It will have to wait though, I'm not on my computer at the moment.

Dei

Dei

So I was actually fine for a while, then started rubber banding again once hounds came and the game crashed, which means I'm probably about to log back in and die to shenanigans. Hopefully Chester didn't die because of it, because I was at the Beefalo, but some of the hounds took a liking to him.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sounds like it's about time to restart the map. Tonight when I get home, I'll rename the map file and restart the server... and check to see if that makes the issue go away. It'd suck to have to put up with this during the group thing this weekend.

Assuming people are showing up for that. There's been precious few RSVPs.

Dei

Dei

Yeah, if it's mostly stable, but then lags for hounds, that's a bad time. HOWEVER, Chester and I both lived because I didn't have aggro on any of the hounds when I crashed and thus did not die to shenanigans.

Though, I only lived because I jumped in a random portal while very far from base and it dumped me back by our Beefalo. :p

On that note.... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=362175979&searchtext=color ?

Also, the personal Chester mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=463740026&searchtext=chester

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wonder if part of the problem is just all the crap that accumulates on the ground... seeds left to rot which stay there unless we pick it up, bees and butterflies spreading flowers which makes for more bees and butterflies, ever increasing numbers of tumbleweeds caught in crannies (no shit last night I found SIX lodged int a corner) and of course the constant proliferation of spiders since we neglect culling the nests.... all get the server to the point where the next frog rain or hound attack brings it to its knees.

Dei

Dei

Oh god, I guarantee you that the north end of that swamp must be a disaster of random ground items.

PatrThom

PatrThom

There's been precious few RSVPs.
Hey, the kid kept me up until 5a and I gotta work a clopen tonight, but I'm game on Sat pending a hard start time and the length of the inevitable honeydo list.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, shall we say 8 central, per usual? Unless anybody has a time consideration.

Dei

Dei

I should be home by then, if not I can jump in a little late. As I said before, 9 year old girls all day. D:

Dei

Dei

Side note: if you were going to reset the persistent server tonight, let me know when and we can pop on at the same time and pick a camp spot. Thursday is a running around day for me, but I should be around at some point. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

Side note: if you were going to reset the persistent server tonight, let me know when and we can pop on at the same time and pick a camp spot. Thursday is a running around day for me, but I should be around at some point. [emoji14]
As per usual, I probably won't get home till after 7 central. Then it'll take me a bit to rename/backup the old map (just in case we ever want to flip back to it). I'll check with you when I get the process started.

Dei

Dei

I probably won't be around until an hour after that at the earliest. I'll let you know, and I'll keep mobile Steam open to let you know.

PatrThom

PatrThom

8p CDT, then?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

8p CDT, then?

--Patrick
For the saturday thing, yeah.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I was just waiting for a hard time as well.

Dei

Dei

Though if you want to jump in tonight while we break new camp on the persistent game, you can do that too. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Wilderness mode is the way to go this time. Hear me out on this.

It will alleviate the early starvation problems we experienced last time. When I went walkabout last night exploring new territory, I didn't really need to take any food with me - I was able to simply forage along the way for everything (7 or so berries or carrots will get you through a game day). By starting spread out, with the mod in place that tells us where everybody is on the map, (assuming it continues to work as advertised), it will allow us to build up a nice starting pad of foraged edibles as we converge to build a base camp.

Dei

Dei

But, as I said before, if you die in Wilderness mode you can just respawn on the map and we could go on all night. If we do Survival, there's more of a chance of everyone dying in a timely matter if we want to have it be a one shot kind of night, at least until we could make Telltale hearts or get magic. We can always spread out from the portal in opposite directions until we settle on a final camp spot.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Telltale hearts aren't really that much of a barrier, it's 3 grass and a spider gland. You don't even need a science machine to prototype it.

And really, even in endless mode, ragequit attrition seemed to do the job pretty well :D

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Telltale hearts aren't really that much of a barrier, it's 3 grass and a spider gland. You don't even need a science machine to prototype it.
You also need like 50 health or something... making one damages you heavily.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You also need like 50 health or something... making one damages you heavily.
Well, 40. But it's just regular health loss, not max health loss - though the revived person does get rez sickness that needs a booster shot to recover.

Dei

Dei

The point is, we'd actually have to rez them though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, we can try survival if you feel strongly about it.

Dei

Dei

Wilderness really depends on how big you plan to make the world too, we could end up REALLY FAR apart.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So far I've just been using the default size.

PatrThom

PatrThom

What's so special about wilderness/survival v. Endless?

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Wilderness = Every time you die you lose all of your stuff and start in a new random place (But you can still find your stuff if you have the desire to do so)

Survival = When you die you become a ghost until you find a way to be resurrected and everyone starts at the same location.

Endless = everyone starts at the same location and you can resurrect by using that entrance

Dei

Dei

Basically it comes down to how long we want our Saturday night game to go.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sounds like it's about time to restart the map. Tonight when I get home, I'll rename the map file and restart the server... and check to see if that makes the issue go away. It'd suck to have to put up with this during the group thing this weekend.

Assuming people are showing up for that. There's been precious few RSVPs.
Did I miss the RSVP? I'm down.

Dei

Dei

I lagged during a hound attack again, but not until I got to the Beefalo. I ended up dying because I apparently wasn't moving at all server side and got eaten alive. There was a lot of stuff on the ground around the Beefalo, as well as a much bigger herd, so that may have been the issue.

Dei

Dei

Our camp will not long survive Terrik.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Our camp has been ravaged by Terrik, our supplies are depleted, our buildings destroyed, our belongings pilfered.

He even murdered our caged pet bird, because he "didn't know what else to do."

Terrik

Terrik

GasBandit

GasBandit

8p CDT, just a reminder all. We'll be starting fresh with a new map, and in survival mode - which means the portal won't rez you, only touchstones/telltale hearts/life giving amulets/meat effigies.

Terrik

Terrik

8p CDT, just a reminder all. We'll be starting fresh with a new map, and in survival mode - which means the portal won't rez you, only touchstones/telltale hearts/life giving amulets/meat effigies.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope we have a lot of stone-touching, heart-telling, amulet-giving, meat effigies, then.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Terrik will be haunting us within 5 minutes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, the previous world is archived, the new world is generated, mode is set to survival... I've got the server shut down now until we do our thing at 8 tonight. And as I've finished the L4D videos from last night, I've got 500 gigs of space to fraps our hopeless flailings!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A few questions:

1) Are we doing Halforums Hunger Games? (Halger Games?) Because even though I'll die quick, I thought it'd be a fun idea.
2) Will all the discussed mods be included? If so, can someone list them all so I can see for myself? Don't need the UI kind of mods. Just things like new characters, areas, etc.
3) Who's all coming so far tonight? I'm in, either way.

Dei

Dei

1.)We aren't turning PvP on, but we're turning off easy rezzing.

2.) That I am not sure of, I only know of three added characters because no one else spoke up about any

3.) Meeeee

GasBandit

GasBandit

A few questions:

1) Are we doing Halforums Hunger Games? (Halger Games?) Because even though I'll die quick, I thought it'd be a fun idea.
2) Will all the discussed mods be included? If so, can someone list them all so I can see for myself? Don't need the UI kind of mods. Just things like new characters, areas, etc.
3) Who's all coming so far tonight? I'm in, either way.
1) Not this time. This time is still cooperative. HHG next time.
2) Not all of them. I've got the tooltip mod in that tells you things like how much longer fires will continue to burn, and how long until food goes bad, that sort of thing. I've also added Wynn the environmentalist, Poisson the damsel and Dipper Pines characters. The Ice Flingamatic improved control mod is on but it doesn't seem to work that I can figure out. I've also added the "show all user icons on map" mod so we can all see where everybody is. I think that's everything. If you want one added though, link it to me in the steam workshop, and if it isn't balance breaking I'll see about adding it.
3) Me, Dei, you, I think Patrthom said he might can make it, Terrik I think is showing up, Poe's in, Ashburner of course... Dave isn't going to make it this time though as he's away doing stuff.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and I added one more mod for this time - Personal Chesters. Every player will now be followed around by their own personal chester.

PatrThom

PatrThom

1) Not this time. This time is still cooperative. HHG next time.
2) Not all of them. I've got the tooltip mod in that tells you things like how much longer fires will continue to burn, and how long until food goes bad, that sort of thing. I've also added Wynn the environmentalist, Poisson the damsel and Dipper Pines characters. The Ice Flingamatic improved control mod is on but it doesn't seem to work that I can figure out. I've also added the "show all user icons on map" mod so we can all see where everybody is. I think that's everything. If you want one added though, link it to me in the steam workshop, and if it isn't balance breaking I'll see about adding it.
3) Me, Dei, you, I think Patrthom said he might can make it, Terrik I think is showing up, Poe's in, Ashburner of course... Dave isn't going to make it this time though as he's away doing stuff.
1) Count me out of that one.
2) Handy.
3) Barring wife-/kid-related shenanigans.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

HOPEFULLY I am not running late, because I have had my fill of girl's day. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

You still got an hour to go.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is DST something I have to get through Steam? No direct download from Klei?
EDIT: Apparently yes.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I just got home, will be on in a bit, need to get situated.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We are gathering in ventrilo now. halforums.typefrag.com port 5660

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So that first game session we had? That went hilariously bad in every possible way. It'll make for an entertaining video, at least.

Second session? Hell of a lot better. Too bad it'll be boring, according to Gas. He should've joined me and Dei fighting spiders.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He should've joined me and Dei fighting spiders.
YOU MONSTER!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

YOU MONSTER!
I must've slayed dozens upon dozens. I don't know. I lost count. Dei might have a better answer for you. I was too busy being surrounded by them and just swinging the spear at whatever I could hit.

Dei

Dei

So that first game session we had? That went hilariously bad in every possible way. It'll make for an entertaining video, at least.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

In a game where everyone was going crazy, the girl with high sanity and resistance in king.

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sometimes, you just gotta know when to drink the Hemlock.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aw, no notations and stuff, Gas? I liked those in the last series. And that video would've been comedy GOLD for notations, annotations, and sound effects.

Though, I know it'd be a lot of extra work, so I can understand.

That said, I stand by what I said at the tail end: that was fun. It was a glorious trainwreck.

Dei

Dei

In Wilderness we did much better. I think it helped a lot that Nick and I went off to farm spiders, and had a second crock pot so we could subsist off monster meat and ice while everyone else got camp functioning.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aw, no notations and stuff, Gas? I liked those in the last series. And that video would've been comedy GOLD for notations, annotations, and sound effects.

Though, I know it'd be a lot of extra work, so I can understand.

That said, I stand by what I said at the tail end: that was fun. It was a glorious trainwreck.
Yeah, I just rushed this one. If I had to fully edit it with notations and whatnot, it'd have taken a week to get done. Plus I didn't think I needed to trim out any "boring" parts because everybody was constantly yukking it up in ventrilo. [DOUBLEPOST=1441560766,1441560732][/DOUBLEPOST]
In Wilderness we did much better. I think it helped a lot that Nick and I went off to farm spiders, and had a second crock pot so we could subsist off monster meat and ice while everyone else got camp functioning.
And I've still got the wilderness save stored so we can use it next week.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Logged into the community game last night to see what was going on.
Didn't recognize the area at all from my previous login. Also it was Summer. So I left before I could die.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

@Terrik you abandoned us! Nooooooooooooooo

GasBandit

GasBandit

Citadel Servers emailed me back that the performance issues on my server should be fixed now.

Dei

Dei

So I slept inside the base while my pig friend was left outside, and then he turned into a werepig and smashed a bunch of walls. What a dick. ;)

2015-09-08_00001.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Citadel Servers emailed me back that the performance issues on my server should be fixed now.
Did they say what was up? Or did you just requisition more RAM/CPU or something?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did they say what was up? Or did you just requisition more RAM/CPU or something?

--Patrick
They did not. I have my doubts. Although I suppose it could just be Bob spilled his beer on the thingamajig again and they had to wipe it off.

Terrik

Terrik

@Terrik you abandoned us! Nooooooooooooooo
Erm, fell asleep at my computer. Go figure.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Erm, fell asleep at my computer. Go figure.
"I'll be right back you guys!"

Dei

Dei

Hahaha, not only do I have fall set to Very Long, I have the other seasons set to short, and I turned off frog rain. Apparently when I deleted my other game, the slot saved the settings that game was using instead of resetting to default. I have regrowth set to Fast too, though you wouldn't know it from the crying going on last night about not being able to start a forest fire soon enough. :p

Also, I don't have Advanced World generator on, the world size is just set to small, which is why some things were getting squished together so much.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hahaha, not only do I have fall set to Very Long, I have the other seasons set to short, and I turned off frog rain. Apparently when I deleted my other game, the slot saved the settings that game was using instead of resetting to default. I have regrowth set to Fast too, though you wouldn't know it from the crying going on last night about not being able to start a forest fire soon enough. :p

Also, I don't have Advanced World generator on, the world size is just set to small, which is why some things were getting squished together so much.
Yeah, the settings don't reset themselves, and they're stored separately from the actual map save (as I discovered and you noticed when we reverted back to the screwing-around map but it was set to wilderness still from the weekend).

Also you obviously had "Rain_On_Gas_Bandit_Until_He_Goes_Utterly_Batshit=1" set somewhere.

Dei

Dei

Hahahahahahaha. I must have, because it stopped raining the instant you logged off.

Dei

Dei

So fair warning, I played on the server long enough to push to spring, and the Moose/Goose hatched right below the secondary camp.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So fair warning, I played on the server long enough to push to spring, and the Moose/Goose hatched right below the secondary camp.
Well, that's kinda why the secondary camp was built, after all. What's good for the Deerclops is good for the MooseGoose, I guess.

Any further lag issues?

Dei

Dei

Not so far, but nothing major has happened.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not so far, but nothing major has happened.
You expect me to believe a hound attack didn't occur the instant you logged in?

Dei

Dei

I'm saving it for after you log in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm saving it for after you log in.
You're too kind, my dear.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You're too kind, my dear.
She knows you want their teeth.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

She knows you want their teeth.

--Patrick
As much as I like having teeth, we are already drowning in teeth.

And the last hound attack got me down to 1hp. The next one will probably make me pucker up so hard I could fart to whistle for a taxi.

Dei

Dei

So due to a mixup when restarting our persistant game, our portal apparently moved. So that's fun.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, I figured out how to use Admin powers to fix the spawn portal.

Dei

Dei

And thus sums up my feelings about this game. Though, I was out dealing with hounds near a random pig house and Deerclops chose that moment to come after me and thus only destroyed that. SO I'LL TAKE IT.

2015-09-09_00001.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

And thus sums up my feelings about this game. Though, I was out dealing with hounds near a random pig house and Deerclops chose that moment to come after me and thus only destroyed that. SO I'LL TAKE IT.

View attachment 19154
What happened to super carpet fort?

Also, everybody up to continue our wilderness game this weekend? Say, Saturday at 8pm central (7 mountain, 9 eastern, 10 Nova Scotia)?

Dei

Dei

Super Carpet Fort does not get lived in during the winter. You know better than that!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Super Carpet Fort does not get lived in during the winter. You know better than that!
I do find it amusing that, despite your having reduced winter to about 2 days, Deerclops still puts in an appearance.[DOUBLEPOST=1441902653,1441902370][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I'm having second thoughts about the proposed "Halforums Hunger Games." I mean, I got to thinking, should we eliminate winter (and summer) because those seasons pretty much limit players to their camps in a desperate attempt to regulate their body temperature? But if all we have is autumn, does that reduce the difficulty too much? And, of course, there's the complication-how do we film it if I'm eliminated early? I suppose I could watch via someone else's steam stream if they set it up thusly, as I have.

Dei

Dei

If I actually had hard drive space (and I never do) I'd fraps as well, but that requires me putting in a 3rd hard drive. I have hoarding problems.[DOUBLEPOST=1441903496,1441903006][/DOUBLEPOST]
I do find it amusing that, despite your having reduced winter to about 2 days, Deerclops still puts in an appearance.[DOUBLEPOST=1441902653,1441902370][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I'm having second thoughts about the proposed "Halforums Hunger Games." I mean, I got to thinking, should we eliminate winter (and summer) because those seasons pretty much limit players to their camps in a desperate attempt to regulate their body temperature? But if all we have is autumn, does that reduce the difficulty too much? And, of course, there's the complication-how do we film it if I'm eliminated early? I suppose I could watch via someone else's steam stream if they set it up thusly, as I have.
I mean, you could set it to Survival mode so that you'd be a ghost. It would certainly hasten the whole process as well.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If I actually had hard drive space (and I never do) I'd fraps as well, but that requires me putting in a 3rd hard drive. I have hoarding problems.
Well, if you go to settings->broadcasting and set it so that people in your friends list are automatically allowed to watch what you play, I can just jump in and fraps what I see.

Of course, *everybody* would basically need to enable that, because who knows who is going to kill who.

Dei

Dei

Unless you can watch us and record us all simultaneously, it's not the best solution though. :/ We all just need to record and pool our resources, but that's a lot of time/effort/money for some.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Unless you can watch us and record us all simultaneously, it's not the best solution though. :/ We all just need to record and pool our resources, but that's a lot of time/effort/money for some.
It's also not really practical since we're not in the same physical location. 720p raw video from fraps is a little over 100 gigs an hour, there's no reasonable way for everybody to get their footage to me for editing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, roll call for resuming our saved wilderness session tonight? @Dei @ThatNickGuy @PatrThom @Ravenpoe @Terrik @AshburnerX ?

Dei

Dei

I can do that or L4D so O_C can come. I am not picky.

Dei

Dei

The half hour later start time would be better again as well, because my daughter needs to get dropped off at the rec center at 7 (MST).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sure. Though, since it wasn't exciting enough for a video, should we move on to Halforums Hunger Games? :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sure. Though, since it wasn't exciting enough for a video, should we move on to Halforums Hunger Games? :D
I'm curious to see if we can actually survive a winter cooperating. Not EVERYTHING has to go on youtube, after all. ;)

Dei

Dei

And thank god for that.

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah, it's probably a good thing we couldnt record that final match last night.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, what happened? I tried to watch while I was encoding, but none of you had broadcasting enabled :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm curious to see if we can actually survive a winter cooperating. Not EVERYTHING has to go on youtube, after all. ;)
Hell, I'm willing to see if I can dive into another batch of spiders. :D

Dei

Dei

I didn't? I swore I had mine set up to pop up to grant permission.

We were doing hard Cold Stream, the first level was fine, the second level we died inches from the next safe room 3 or 4 times in a row because of hoards.

Dei

Dei

Hell, I'm willing to see if I can dive into another batch of spiders. :D
Nick and I are the best spider killing team of all time!

Though I think we should to try to get gears, we're set on silk for awhile.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Nick and I are the best spider killing team of all time!

Though I think we should to try to get gears, we're set on silk for awhile.
BRING ON THE CLOCKWORK! I took one down already with the help of...Ravenpoe, I think? Maybe Ashburner? One of the two. I stumbled along him trying to fight it and dove in. We should totally let them tag along this time.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So, roll call for resuming our saved wilderness session tonight? @Dei @ThatNickGuy @PatrThom @Ravenpoe @Terrik @AshburnerX ?
I don't get out of work tonight until 7CDT, and I have an hour commute, and there will probably be dinner once I get home.
Basically I'm saying that I'm up for it, but don't know if I'll be able to get there until after everyone else has been rolling around in the grasslands for a while.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't get out of work tonight until 7CDT, and I have an hour commute, and there will probably be dinner once I get home.
Basically I'm saying that I'm up for it, but don't know if I'll be able to get there until after everyone else has been rolling around in the grasslands for a while.

--Patrick
Dei wants to start later than usual as well. We may just say 9CDT, presuming 11pm isn't too late a start for Nick. If that time works for everybody, and Ash and Raven check in, we may be in business.

I'd like to get L4D with O_C, too, but getting this DST together is a much more involved task :/

GasBandit

GasBandit

Figured out why Dei keeps freezing to death:

From the wiki:

In Don't Starve Together, Willow has had some major changes. These changes were mainly added due to many abusing Willow by burning things and/or attacking players in their first day. Thus, Willow's fire reduction is now only 50%, instead of 100%, but is completely immune to fire for the first three seconds of exposure. Her once infinite lighter now lasts for 600 seconds, but can be crafted. She also now freezes when insane, but she starts the game with Bernie, the stuffed bear seen in her portrait, who will distract Shadow Creatures and therefore not allow them to attack Willow. In addition to some of her pros being modified or removed, Willow now no longer creates fires at low sanity, and has a 10% boost on regular sanity gained from fire. She can also now cook with her lighter, but reduces it's durability by 1%.

Dei

Dei

Yeah, I assumed it was a sanity thing, because it only happened when I was crazy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still feel like I'd continue with Wilson, at least until I get the game mechanics down to know how to best make up for everyone's disads.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'll be there, assuming I don't pass out before it starts. My days start at 5am these days... last night I went to bed at 9pm. You know when the last time I went to bed that early was? NEVER.

Dei

Dei

I don't actually need to have a later start anymore, because none of my daughter's friends are free tonight, but we still want to start later for Patr anyways.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Grr... I might be late/not coming. Family stuff.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't think I'm gonna make it, guys. I've been gaming all day (needed a day to myself) and been staring at the screen all day as a result.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, looking like we may need to try again next week at this rate.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ok, looking like we may need to try again next week at this rate.
Yeah, I'm going to have to call it an early night as well. I'm old now, when it comes to choosing staying up all night to game, or getting a good night's sleep, I choose sleep.

Dei

Dei

@GasBandit, the server is down, which is probably due to Steam being weird all weekend. At least it was at the time of posting. I am playing Super Mario Maker with my son atm, will check later. :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Should be back up now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know why the server keeps turning itself off. Woke up this morning, it was stopped again. Started it. Got home tonight, it was stopped. Started it again.

Dei

Dei

Oh good, that means I'm going to log in right after a hound attack, in the main camp, crazy as fuck. I think. I forget if all the hounds were dead by morning. Hmmm.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nah, I stayed in more than a day after you logged out, so it only rolled some of my acts back, none of yours.

Dei

Dei

I logged in earlier today, unless you logged in while at work. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

I logged in earlier today, unless you logged in while at work. :p
Oh. Well, in that case, yeah.

Dei

Dei

I was gonna play tonight but I've been in such a foul mood all day that I didn't want to ruin a game I liked by getting mad at it. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was gonna play tonight but I've been in such a foul mood all day that I didn't want to ruin a game I liked by getting mad at it. :p
I harvested a couple stacks of wood, got some trinkets turned into the pig king for another stack of gold, built a couple more farms, and caught some fresh frog legs. Camp number 4 is shaping up, but without drying racks meat spoilage is a problem.

Dei

Dei

Is it winter? I think I ended up in our Camp #1 pig town at the time the server would have saved last before it shut down yesterday.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is it winter? I think I ended up in our Camp #1 pig town at the time the server would have saved last before it shut down yesterday.
No, but it was almost winter when I logged out, just a few days to go. Chester is still at camp #4.

Dei

Dei

I started rubber banding pretty bad, don't know if it was me or the server, but I logged off again for now. Last day of Autumn.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well it was dinnertime anyway, I guess.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I started rubber banding pretty bad, don't know if it was me or the server, but I logged off again for now. Last day of Autumn.
I'll check it out when I get home.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Server console was behaving a bit oddly, and I did notice occasional lag glitches when I logged in, so I restarted the server.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, so will this weekend work for everybody to try again on the wilderness continuation? Any day/time specifically better than others for anybody?

Dei

Dei

I think I'm good, but since my daughter might have plans on Saturday night, I might also have plans which do not involve her. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think I'm good, but since my daughter might have plans on Saturday night, I might also have plans which do not involve her. [emoji14]

Dei

Dei

I have two children, so... Probably not that, at least not at that hour. [emoji14]

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have two children, so...
... so you have to take the opportunities where they present themselves?

Or rather, what I'm guessing you meant is that only one of the two kids is out of your hair.

Dei

Dei

Basically. [emoji14]

My son is a sweet, nice boy who I can trust home alone long enough to do something like go out to dinner.

My daughter is a cruel vicious tyrant who can't be kept home alone with her brother because she runs roughshod over his good nature and cannot be trusted. [emoji14] (MAY be slightly exaggerated)

PatrThom

PatrThom

will this weekend work for everybody to try again on the wilderness continuation?
Not me, I'm afraid. Won't get home from work until about 10:30EDT, then have to be back up at 6a to start work at 7:45a. Maybe next time.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Also keep in mind you can come play on the continuous game anytime you want. :p We always need gathering peons.... I MEAN FRIENDS AND COMPANIONS TO HAVE FUN WITH.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, the e-mail they sent me basically says that for us to have caves, we'd have to get a second dedicated server. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. Seems kind of shitty programming if you ask me. Minecraft didn't need a seperate nether server.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, the e-mail they sent me basically says that for us to have caves, we'd have to get a second dedicated server. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. Seems kind of shitty programming if you ask me. Minecraft didn't need a seperate nether server.
So what you're saying is that some coding decision they made way back when is coming to bite them in the butt.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Hopefully that won't be an issue when it's not still beta.

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

Hey now, together we built at least 3 camps that could keep a person alive nigh indefinitely.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey now, together we built at least 3 camps that could keep a person alive nigh indefinitely.
Yes, but the larger group of us has yet to survive a winter. Hell, sometimes we don't even make it to winter.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So hey, we haven't done a Don't Starve Together in awhile.

What are the chances of finally doing Halforums Hunger Games? I was really looking forward to that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So hey, we haven't done a Don't Starve Together in awhile.

What are the chances of finally doing Halforums Hunger Games? I was really looking forward to that.
I still have the server!

Unfortunately the more I looked into the logistics of it, the less feasible it became, at least from a video standpoint. We can still play hunger games just to have fun, but skill differential might be a really big issue at this point - Dei and I put in over 80 hours together learning the ins and outs of not starving (basically reducing it to trivial), Ashburner was already pretty pro to begin with, and at the other end of the spectrum, we've got people who have only basically ever played on previous halforums nights.

Can still give it a try, though - the biggest challenge is scheduling. I know Terrik, Dei and I are pretty much good for whatever night, so if anyone else wants in, their schedule will be the limiting factor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I only have some experience with the game. I know the best areas to set up a camp (if that's even feasible in a Hunger Games setting) and know some of the tricks. Just not as well as some of you guys.

And I get what you mean about the video standpoint. It'd basically be Halforums Hunger Games Starring Gas Bandit. Which, if you died, would make tough, too. Hrm.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I only have some experience with the game. I know the best areas to set up a camp (if that's even feasible in a Hunger Games setting) and know some of the tricks. Just not as well as some of you guys.

And I get what you mean about the video standpoint. It'd basically be Halforums Hunger Games Starring Gas Bandit. Which, if you died, would make tough, too. Hrm.
It'd be different if we were all in the same place, all recording at once, so I could switch between viewpoints, but we're not. So a video is basically what you said... Halforums Hunger Games, GasBanditCam edition. And if I get eliminated, the rest of the match would basically go undocumented.

That said, we can still play it for fun, though as I said previously I worry about guys like Dave, Poe and Terrik with minimal hours in the game going up against Ash, Dei and Myself who, for a brief few weeks, ate, drank, slept and breathed Don't Starve Together.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still have the server!

Unfortunately the more I looked into the logistics of it, the less feasible it became, at least from a video standpoint. We can still play hunger games just to have fun, but skill differential might be a really big issue at this point - Dei and I put in over 80 hours together learning the ins and outs of not starving (basically reducing it to trivial), Ashburner was already pretty pro to begin with, and at the other end of the spectrum, we've got people who have only basically ever played on previous halforums nights.

Can still give it a try, though - the biggest challenge is scheduling. I know Terrik, Dei and I are pretty much good for whatever night, so if anyone else wants in, their schedule will be the limiting factor.
I had played TWICE before playing with you guys. I just pick up on stuff REAL fast when I have a knife to my throat.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I had played TWICE before playing with you guys. I just pick up on stuff REAL fast when I have a knife to my throat.
That may be so, you also were the longest surviving character besides me on that disaster-riddled escapade with no beefalo.

Dei

Dei

To be fair, in the first episode, most people logged off before the end. ;)

He was also the last to die in the second episode, but that was because his sanity was ticking down the slowest. ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would just like to say that I enjoy the game a lot, I just don't typically get more than a few hours/wk to play anything, and so I don't get to starve as much as I'd like.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Don't Starve Together is having a free trial weekend on Steam.

Dei

Dei

Bumping old threads! I noticed this game got a bunch of updates that I haven't played yet, anyone want to play? Right now I am sucked into Persona 5 and probably will be for at least a few more days, so maybe this weekend?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd be up to give it a whirl. I assume Terrik would be happy to come murder our pet birds.

Terrik

Terrik

I'd be up to give it a whirl. I assume Terrik would be happy to come murder our pet birds.
You murder a pet bird once and suddenly people assume that's all you're about.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You murder a pet bird once and suddenly people assume that's all you're about.
Well, isn't it?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just updated yesterday.
My weekend is tomorrow, though.

--Patrick