[Announcement] Halforums Stock Exchange is OPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(looks at the profiles, is really confused) You tripled your money today?
When you sell a stock you keep the money, but you lose the score that stock gave you, so you drop in leaderboard rankings.

Since he sold it, there is no record of the gain.

I see. Don't look at the gain/loss, look at what the person is at today after they made their sales (if any apply).

GasBandit

Staff member
I started with around 8000. I've sold off my worst losers and show in the green, but my money goes up mostly because of my messageboard posts... not my skill at picking stocks.

Wait, you add 5%? Shouldn't they be taking that out instead?[DOUBLEPOST=1355178829][/DOUBLEPOST]
I started with around 8000. I've sold off my worst losers and show in the green, but my money goes up mostly because of my messageboard posts... not my skill at picking stocks.
Me too. I've made a hell of a lot more from posting than I have from any stocks.

Wait, you add 5%? Shouldn't they be taking that out instead?[DOUBLEPOST=1355178829][/DOUBLEPOST]
Me too. I've made a hell of a lot more from posting than I have from any stocks.
They do take it out, but if you wanted to see gross stock earnings, you'd add it back. That's what I meant.

I guess we just presume that everyone started with $5000.

I think it would have made more sense to give everyone $5000 and then disable other ways of getting money other than the stock market (including people transferring halbucks). Then the porfolio's would make a lot more sense. As it stands... it's pretty hodgepodge as to what people have been doing. Still fun though.

Dave

Staff member
It's designed so you can take chances and lose money without having to worry about it. If you post you get more dough. So it also encourages participation.

I think it would have made more sense to give everyone $5000 and then disable other ways of getting money other than the stock market (including people transferring halbucks). Then the porfolio's would make a lot more sense. As it stands... it's pretty hodgepodge as to what people have been doing. Still fun though.
If there was a way to see net gains since the beginning of time, that would eliminate a lot of the hodgepodgeyness while still allowing for income from other sources to engender participation.

Dave

Staff member
If there was a way to see net gains since the beginning of time, that would eliminate a lot of the hodgepodgeyness while still allowing for income from other sources to engender participation.
Well...Everyone started at $5000. What else would you like to know? How much was made on the stock market alone?

Well...Everyone started at $5000. What else would you like to know? How much was made on the stock market alone?
Yeah, I think that would be a nice to know. If we went purely by income from posts, Yoshi would be the richest person here.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I think past posts weren't taken into consideration, only posts starting from the founding of the stock exchange.

I also recall something about likes giving Halbucks, but that seems to have been taken out... I think.

I'm only bitching for my sake. As it is now, I'm at the bottom of the trading list simply because I lost a shit ton of money today on one big trade, versus the shit ton of money I made this morning which was much more significant. Being worse than Frank hurts me. It hurts me deep.

Dave

Staff member
I reset everyone at 5000 HB. Past posts don't mean anything, nor does it mean anything if you had billions before.

Yeah, an overall account would be more helpful in determining what people actually made as opposed to just the last trade.

I'm only bitching for my sake. As it is now, I'm at the bottom of the trading list simply because I lost a shit ton of money today on one big trade, versus the shit ton of money I made this morning which was much more significant. Being worse than Frank hurts me. It hurts me deep.
Relic is based in BC and as per my new directive, all BC based THQ employees will now be reassigned as people who's only goal is to follow Adam around and tell people that according to Halforums Stock Trader, he's doing worse than their boss, the lovely Frank.

Relic is based in BC and as per my new directive, all BC based THQ employees will now be reassigned as people who's only goal is to follow Adam around and tell people that according to Halforums Stock Trader, he's doing worse than their boss, the lovely Frank.
By my math, you hold 5932 shares with 6.86 million shares of THQI outstanding at $1.29 per share. I currently hold 438 shares for a net difference of 5494 shares. 5494 shares times $1.29 per share = $7097.26.

$7097.26 to fire Frank. Current net worth: $17,529

Just saying.

Question for the more knowledgeable in this area:

So I jumped in on CASY right before trading ended last night because they were going to be announcing their earnings after the close, which came in above estimates. So, predictably, the stick price is rising this morning.

How do you estimate when enough is enough and get out before the re-correction? I'm sure that actual market-folk don't entirely guess.

Dave

Staff member
Question for the more knowledgeable in this area:

So I jumped in on CASY right before trading ended last night because they were going to be announcing their earnings after the close, which came in above estimates. So, predictably, the stick price is rising this morning.

How do you estimate when enough is enough and get out before the re-correction? I'm sure that actual market-folk don't entirely guess.
Most of the time they have estimates as to when things are going to correct and set up automatic triggers to sell when the stock hits that price. Also, if the stock fails to hit that price they have triggers that say, "If it falls X amount from a peak then sell."

You'd be amazed at how much of this is automated now and slanted towards the companies who get realtime quotes. Their computers can make millions of microtransactions in the time it takes us to physically look through stuff. By the time we realize a stock has gone up, these places have already bought/sold millions and made a shit-ton of money.

Most of the time they have estimates as to when things are going to correct and set up automatic triggers to sell when the stock hits that price. Also, if the stock fails to hit that price they have triggers that say, "If it falls X amount from a peak then sell."

You'd be amazed at how much of this is automated now and slanted towards the companies who get realtime quotes. Their computers can make millions of microtransactions in the time it takes us to physically look through stuff. By the time we realize a stock has gone up, these places have already bought/sold millions and made a shit-ton of money.
No, I get that part (I used to work P&L for a commodities trading company that did arbitrage between international commodities markets), but how do they make those stock estimates in the first place? What do they look at?

GasBandit

Staff member
My father, when he was trying to play the stock market, obsessed over trend lines - lines of support and lines of resistance. Basically, he held a ruler up to their peaks and valleys over time (not over the course of a day, of course, this was over the course of days, weeks maybe). His rule was, if a stock breaks the line of resistance formed by connecting the dots of its previous peaks, buy. If it "bounces" against a discernable ceiling-line of resistance 3 times, or plummets through the line of support made by connecting its troughs, sell. He claimed it may not have made the most money possible, but in exchange he usually missed out on the BIG tanks/troughs.

I can't quote figures or anything, because it was a long time ago and I was only vaguely interested, but he seemed to do ok I guess. Not quit-your-job money, but better interest than a bank, I suppose.

Better late than never.
I habe no idea what I'm doing and just used names that came to my mind or I found on Google on a moments spur...

Status
Not open for further replies.