[Announcement] Halforums Stock Exchange is OPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Just got this email from the dev:

7 New Countries have been added along with 4 new system currencies (Canadian Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Australian Dollar and New Zealand Dollar).

Canada - Toronto Stock Exchange

Australia - Australian Stock Exchange

New Zealand - New Zealand Stock Exchange

Norway - Oslo Stock Exchange

France - Paris Stock Exchange, Euronext

Austria - Vienna Stock Exchange

Netherlands - Amsterdam Stock Exchange

I've been testing all weekend and so far I've not run into any "glitches". Everything is converting properly currency wise. The only issue that I've noticed is that with the addition of 4 new currencies, the updating of the exchanges rates is SLOW and there is nothing that I can do to speed it up because the slowness is on the Data retrieval side of things.. The cron takes between 20-30 seconds to run now compared to about 10-15 with only the 3. If you are like me and have CRON set to update currencies every 15 minutes, there are going to be users that activate the cron and its going to give them a slow render time on their browser (up to 30 seconds). If you have your CRON set to check at much greater intervals, this shouldn't be that big of a deal tho.
I don't think we'll see any issues as we deal solely in USD, but that could be what the issue is. Still no Japanese markets, but those are coming.

I will put these new markets in as soon as the update is released.

Just got this email from the dev:

I don't think we'll see any issues as we deal solely in USD, but that could be what the issue is. Still no Japanese markets, but those are coming.

I will put these new markets in as soon as the update is released.
This is my Jay face :mad:

At the risk of being self-aggrandizing, it would be nice to have a "Initial Investment At Beginning" to compare current totals to.

Not for any particular reason or anything :D

Also, apparently my understanding of things which would cause the market to move in one direction or another is a little off. I dropped my Boeing and Alcoa stock when SPEEA (their engineering union) announced that a strike was likely. What are both stocks doing today? They're climbing.

Buy more THQ than Frank so you can override his new corporate policies! :D
The Battle for the Future of THQ Begins Now![DOUBLEPOST=1355164809][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, apparently my understanding of things which would cause the market to move in one direction or another is a little off. I dropped my Boeing and Alcoa stock when SPEEA (their engineering union) announced that a strike was likely. What are both stocks doing today? They're climbing.
That one seems a bit odd. If strikes always raised stock prices, Republicans would love unions.

Who knows. Maybe the rest of the market knows something I don't, like the federal mediation is going well, or the strike is looking less likely.

Who knows. Maybe the rest of the market knows something I don't, like the federal mediation is going well, or the strike is looking less likely.

As someone who has both lost and gained plenty in the real stock market let me leave you with this little gem.

The market rarely behaves according to logic.

As someone who has both lost and gained plenty in the real stock market let me leave you with this little gem.

The market rarely behaves according to logic.
No lie. Though, I do still love the story one of my former bosses told us all at lunch one day. He runs a (very small) software company, and most of his programmers are Russians. He had a prospective new employee over from Russia one day and they were talking about the market, and the Russian guy said "I don't know how you guys have so much trouble making money in your stock market. It's very simple, really. You buy when the price is low, and sell when it's high. Any idiot can figure that out."

Couple factors could increase stock prices:

1. Because it's not the front end striking, day to day operations shouldn't be too impacted, however salary costs for that group drop to 0. Net income increases as a result.
2. Stock market factors into the price all expected activities over the course of the year. Knowing that labour relations were poor, the market would have priced in a discount on stock ahead of time. Knowing for certain that there's going to be a strike removes a lot of trepidation about the outcomes from the strike; and the market hates uncertainty more than bad news.

Also, I really need to start waking up earlier. I keep finding that a lot of the big mover stocks have done most of their movement by the time I wake up, and I'm left trying to milk the last precious moments out of a stock before it starts to drop off again.

I don't know if I've said it before... but Apple has nowhere to go but down.[DOUBLEPOST=1355171895][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Frank... you're THQ is rallying man! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.