[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think American audiences are ready to take seriously a movie that has a live action anthropomorphic raccoon in it.

I don't think American audiences are ready to take seriously a movie that has a live action anthropomorphic raccoon in it.
Honestly, I think it depends on how it's marketed. The thing about comic book movies that Marvel has gotten pretty consistently right is that, when you get right down to it, all of this is really silly. I mean, really silly. Marvel thus far has kind of embraced that, to great comedic effect in what would otherwise have been pretty straight up action movies, and that's what's working for them IMHO. By the final "gritty" Batman movie, I found that I didn't give a damn about it because it wanted to be taken seriously, and I just couldn't do that. Avengers, on the other hand, reveled in how preposterous it all was without ever coming right out and asking me to take it seriously, and as a result worked way better.

I think with that mindset, you could totally sell a gun-wielding, talking raccoon, because I don't care who you are - that's funny.

This movie might do okay, but it's not going to be the big hit Marvel wants it to be unless they promote it HARD.
Marvel already has what they need to make this movie take off.

Ever since Iron Man, Marvel has been having movies lead into other movies, letting them pretty much cross-promote each other. Tony Stark appearing in Hulk, Thor's Hammer appearing at the end of Iron Man 2, the Cosmic Cube at the end of Thor leading into Captain America. Even things like Howard Stark in Captain America, and the ever present Nick Fury, have done a great job cross-promoting each movie.

This, more then anything, was one of the reasons the Avengers did so well. Yes many of us wanted an Avengers movie forever, but the general audience got hooked by seeing all these things build up over countless inter-tangled movie franchises.

If they are smart, they need to promote the Guardians of the Galaxy movie at some point in Thor: The Dark World, and later on have maybe a cameo of a character like Loki in the trailer. If they do that I know people are going to go see it just by the connection.

If they attempt to make it stand 100% on it's own? Yes, I don't see it being a hit.

BananaHands

Staff member
I agree. Him and Groot make the series really. Very few people I know give a crap about characters like Star Lord.
If Star Lord is done right, I'm sure people will be a huge fan of him. Chris Pratt could probably make him an extremely likable character.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just want it on record that "Star Lord" is an asinine name for a character, even if that character DID turn out to be lord of one or more stars.

The Halloween costumes for RR will be great!

Hasn't Thanos been rumoured to play a larger background role in this film, helping set the stage for Avengers 3?

This just in: Bradley Cooper has been confirmed as Rocket Raccoon.

Also, Marvel member Kevin Feige talked a bit more about the film and, while Thanos is the behind the scenes manipulator of the villains, the main bad guy for the Guardians of the Galaxy film is Ronan the Accuser.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I wonder if they aren't planning on sprinkling in the Infinity Gem stuff through a whole bunch of different movies and then doing a full on Infinity Gauntlet movie, much like they did with the Cosmic Cube and The Avengers.

Hmmm... I wonder if they aren't planning on sprinkling in the Infinity Gem stuff through a whole bunch of different movies and then doing a full on Infinity Gauntlet movie, much like they did with the Cosmic Cube and The Avengers.
That would be my guess. I'd expect to maybe see references and appearances of the various gems over the course of the films, leading up to Avengers 3.

It may not even fall under the Avengers banner. The Avengers themselves weren't actually a huge part of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Unless you count them all getting killed in 5 minutes flat by Thanos.

I don't know... I don't mind it that much. I already figured they were going to drop the Cockney accent, so depending on how he does the voice I can see it working. Still wish they went with at least a real British actor though.

They are just attaching as many big names as possible at this point BUT, Bradley Cooper is actually pretty fucking good at voices and impersonation so there's that.

Also the WWE is bringing back Dave Batista (starring as Drax the Destroyer) for a short run to co-promote/sponge off the movies release.

Also I think most people knew this already but Vin Diesel is Groot, both in VA work and MoCap.

Also also this tidbit from a Bautista interview about getting the Drax part made me happy: "There’s a point where I go to set every day and I still can’t freaking believe I got this job,” said Bautista. “It’s something that I wanted more than anything I ever wanted in my life. When I got it, I broke down and cried like a little baby."

Just release a damn trailer already. You got what, 6 months or so to make people realize this movie is going to be awesome. Start working now or it's gonna FLOP.

Believe me I don't want it to flop, I love everyone involved with this film but I'm terrified no one but the diehard will bother to see it.