[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

The current incarnation of Guardians of the Galaxy didn't come about until 2008. They're a very new team so most people haven't heard of them. That's why I'm thinking they will be featured in the post-credits scene after Cap 2.

So wait, you guys only go see movies if you are familiar with the characters beforehand?

I've only seen a handful of the Marvel movies in theatres; Iron Man, Iron Man 2( Unfortunately), and Captain America 1 (Nope, didn't get to see the Avengers in the theatre). I know absolutely nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy and this forum was the first place I heard about it. But it looks very interesting and as such I'm planning on going for this one.

I do think that they need to market it carefully, because it looks so bizarre that with audiences being completely unaware of it I think it has the potential to turn a lot of people off. I'm certainly not the majority. But I don't think people being unfamiliar with the material automatically means it will bomb. Outside of comic book readers, Iron Man was essentially an unknown too and thanks to great casting he has become the linchpin of the Marvel cinematic universe. People weren't really aware of Thor at all as a Marvel character, and that's become huge as well in no small part, again, to great casting.

Its kind of a crapshoot really. It's going to come down to how good their marketing team is, but honestly I think they have enough under their belt now that slapping "Marvel Studios" on the front of the trailer will be enough to pull in those on the fence.

I'm just saying that if you can't market a smart-ass, BFG-wielding, talking raccoon space cop to a superhero-watching audience, you deserve to get fired.

They took "[...]Of Mars" out of the title for that thinking it'd turn people off. This movie remains called "THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY", which, let's be perfectly honest, sounds way stupider. I think its safe to say they learned a lesson there, or are at least willing to take a chance.

I never understood that thinking anyway. Honestly; "John Carter of Mars" might sound a little silly, but really, "Star Wars"? Come on. There's a ridiculous title, am I right?

So wait, you guys only go see movies if you are familiar with the characters beforehand?
Not necessarily. It's just that since I have a limited budget for movie tickets, I prefer to go for films that I believe have a higher chance of entertaining me. Sometimes it's due to having a cool trailer. Sometimes it's due to reading good reviews, or hearing good word-of-mouth. And yes, sometimes it's due to having characters I'm already familiar with.

Of course, this can backfire horribly. Stupid Robocop reboot.

It's very hard to take such a movie called "Guardians of the Galaxy" seriously when one of the members is a raccoon.

It's very hard to take such a movie called "Guardians of the Galaxy" seriously when one of the members is a raccoon.

None of them are really capable of guarding the whole galaxy. Not even as a team. The same joke/comment was made in the comic, especially after the team disbanded in favour of heavy hitters to create The Annihilators. I mean, if you want to nitpick, The Avengers don't really avenge, do they? A better name would The Rescuers, The Saviours, or The Bad Guy Beat'em Uppers.

Guardians of the Galaxy is still a great sounding name for a team.

If your intention was to take ANY comic book movie seriously, you have already missed the point of having a movie based on a comic book.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, but let's not pretend a talking, wisecracking raccoon doesn't pass an extra level of disbelief requirement level from your standard superhero fare.

Yes, but let's not pretend a talking, wisecracking raccoon doesn't pass an extra level of disbelief requirement level from your standard superhero fare.
Maybe, but I don't really see it as all that crazy or unbelievable. Marvel and DC are chock full of talking animal or half-animal characters.

I mean holy crap, they gave HOWARD THE DUCK his own movie ages ago. People seem to forget he exists in the Marvel universe. Why does having a gun crazy raccoon make people stand back in disbelief?

Maybe, but I don't really see it all that crazy. Marvel and DC are chock full of talking animal or half-animal characters.

I mean holy crap, they gave HOWARD THE DUCK his own movie ages ago. People seem to forget he exists in the Marvel universe.
That movie is the reason why they forget.

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe, but I don't really see it all that crazy. Marvel and DC are chock full of talking animal or half-animal characters.

I mean holy crap, they gave HOWARD THE DUCK his own movie ages ago. People seem to forget he exists in the Marvel universe.
Aaaand how well did that go over, do you remember?

(I do.)

I wonder if they're going to go with his batshit looney tunes fucking insane origin from comics or the origin from the cartoons (I can't remember if it was Mightiest Heroes or Ultimate Spider-Man) where he says he's just an alien that looks like a raccoon.

I dunno, animals given sentience to guard psychotic inmates in a walled off sector of the universe is pretty awesome as far as origins go. At least he's not another alien from a dead planet or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1392707988,1392707824][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and if you want weird as fuck characters?

Meet Doop.

That movie is the reason why they forget.
Aaaand how well did that go over, do you remember?

(I do.)
All I am saying is, having a talking raccoon shouldn't put people in disbelief. You can find it silly, because it pretty much is, but I think disbelief is the wrong word when the character comes from a universe with a talking duck.

Hell, they let Squirrel Girl punch Thanos in the dick, and she had two sidekick talking squirrels named "Monkey Joe" and "Tippy Toe".

All I am saying is, having a talking raccoon shouldn't put people in disbelief. You can find it silly, because it pretty much is, but I think disbelief is the wrong word when the character comes from a universe with a talking duck.

Hell, they let Squirrel Girl punch Thanos in the dick, and she had two sidekick talking squirrels named "Monkey Joe" and "Tippy Toe".
...And unfortunately, we probably won't see Squirrel Girl turn up in a film.

That is the thing. Comics and live-action films are two different mediums. A comics reader would probably be more open to a character like Rocket Raccoon because comic books have had some pretty crazy stuff, but a moviegoer watching a live-action film might be a harder sell on such a character because of a different level of suspension disbelief required.

That said, I kinda want to see a new Howard the Duck film made sometime, one closer in tone to the satirical nature of the original comics.

You're using Squirrel Girl in a serious context, I'm automatically discarding your point.

figmentPez

Staff member
That is the thing. Comics and live-action films are two different mediums. A comics reader would probably be more open to a character like Rocket Raccoon because comic books have had some pretty crazy stuff, but a moviegoer watching a live-action film might be a harder sell on such a character because of a different level of suspension disbelief required.
I don't think the conflict is that it's a live action movie, because Jim Carrey movies have contained elements every bit as ridiculous as a talking Raccoon, and many of those were box office successes. I think the problem is that Guardiands of the Galaxy is action, Sci-Fi and trying for a serious tone. The same problem would arise if you had any character who doesn't look like they're tough enough. Can you imagine pitching "The Expendables" if Peter Dinklage were going to be one of the headline actors?