General Empyrion Thread

HOLY MOSES

Guys, when you go into Creative mode now? The building that is your creative base? IT IS ALSO A MANUAL FOR THE GAME. Seriously, before playing v12a in any serious sort of capacity, start up a Creative game and go wander around the provided base. It is extremely educational.

instructures.jpg

Not pictured: The second floor and all of its instructions.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, I guess Empyrion is launched now. 1.0 has landed.

I've been trying A12 a little on the down low, and it's got some very nice improvements, but I think the underlying late game issues (PvP lag and no-choice meta) are still there.

That said, a literally infinite universe to explore is pretty neat.

I'm just a bit butthurt that a lot of my custom blueprints didn't back up to the cloud when I uninstalled empyrion back in A9. All that work I put in on Gargantua City is gone >_<

Anyway, Emrys and I have been playing on a generic vanilla server I put up, password protected. If any of you guys want to try it out for yourself, let me know and I'll PM you the password. I don't plan to make this a public server, it's just small and private. I don't know enough about the changes to how the game works yet to even consider starting up another public server.

Dave

Staff member
PM me the details. And let me know how you have it all set up. Will I be hamstrung in a PvE setting again?

GasBandit

Staff member
PM me the details. And let me know how you have it all set up. Will I be hamstrung in a PvE setting again?
It's 100% default vanilla right now. No mods, no backpack, pve and pvp zones seem to have no rhyme or reason as to which zone is which kind, and there's nothing to stop you from going back and forth between them.

Count me in, I might squeeze in an hour or two of mining. I've been playing the solo version, but hadn't achieved warp yet to explore that new galaxy map.
I'm just a bit butthurt that a lot of my custom blueprints didn't back up to the cloud when I uninstalled empyrion back in A9. All that work I put in on Gargantua City is gone >_<
Tell me about it! Between the new weight and CPU requirements, all my existing blueprints are just useless garbage. I'm especially annoyed at the loss of my miner.
Will I be hamstrung in a PvE setting again?
I don't know how he has his system set up, but there are changes to POIs that make them actually worth raiding now. Like, you won't be able to build the really awesome ships without raiding POIs.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Well, the way he had the last iteration set up it would have been super difficult to impossible to stay in PvE space and get the best gear or even be able to run POIs since we needed to kill turrets and don't have the ability to do so. And I didn't want to PvP with the people we had on the server.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tell me about it! Between the new weight and CPU requirements, all my existing blueprints are just useless garbage. I'm especially annoyed at the loss of my miner.
I have CPU and weight limits turned off. I didn't even tell it to do that, it came that way by default.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, also one thing I did differently is I enabled cb:gohome in the chatbot. So if you die somewhere and get stranded, you can use it to be teleported to whatever structure ID you set with cb:sethome:ID

GasBandit

Staff member
Some important notes for people who haven't played in a while:

Teleporters are now vanilla. They are no longer "paired," you can teleport from any teleporter to any teleporter by using a menu that comes up when you hit F on the teleporter. And that's not just your own CVs and Bases, you can also teleport to any NPC structure that you have discovered with whose faction you are friendly or higher (IE, the trading stations). Teleporter max range is 30 LY, so it's even conceivable you could teleport from one star system to another, if they're close enough. You can teleport to a structure that is powered off - only the "departure" teleporter needs power. Teleporters are power thirsty, so I usually put a motion sensor over it to only turn on the teleporter when someone is standing on it.

DO NOT TELEPORT TO NPC SHIPS even if you are friendly with them. You will "fall out" immediately and be left behind, and even if you catch up, you won't be able to use the teleporter because they only work when shields are down, and you can't get the NPCs to lower their shields.

Shields are a thing now. They require a shield generator and LOTS of power, and also consume warp fuel to "heal" your shield if it takes damage.

There is now a penatly if you go over 100% generator load. Your generators will begin to take damage and eventually explode if you go over 100%.

You can have multiple solar batteries now. Which makes solar a lot more useful. You can trickle charge them offline and then use a bunch of power (Constructors/furnaces etc).

There is now a penatly if you go over 100% generator load. Your generators will begin to take damage and eventually explode if you go over 100%.
Yeah, that's the part I meant about my designs being garbage. It's very easy to go over the generator limits when weight and CPU are turned on.
Also, I still don't have the hang of the wifi/inventory transfer thing yet.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Holy crap. I just watched the trailer. The galaxy is very "No Man's Sky"-ish. No more "couple of small planets that Gas has to set up".

This could be very interesting. Do we all start at the same place or do we spawn randomly in the cosmos and are all alone?

GasBandit

Staff member
Holy crap. I just watched the trailer. The galaxy is very "No Man's Sky"-ish. No more "couple of small planets that Gas has to set up".

This could be very interesting. Do we all start at the same place or do we spawn randomly in the cosmos and are all alone?
You get a selection of planets of various difficulty levels. I tried starting on the ice planet and froze to death within 2 days.

But the chatbot command to delete your character and start over still works :D

but yes, it is literally an INFINITE GALAXY now. SVs can jump from planet sector to planet sector within a star system, but you'll need a CV to jump to other stars.

And waypoints on the surface now show from orbit, too. Which makes it easier to "fly home" in the early game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh and another thing... /scan is vanilla now too. Only you don't need to type /scan. You just put a detector block on your ship, and it shows up on your weapon bar. Select it, and click to "ping." Stuff will then show up for 30 seconds or so on your HUD and map.

with a universe that big, I don't mind the pvp problems, honestly.

With the old server, and only a dozen planets or so, there was no way to keep anything you earned, unless you parked it in pve space. But with more planets to explore, it's gotta be easier to stay away from predators and park a satellite near your mining hotspot without as much fear of near immediate destruction.

Oh and another thing... /scan is vanilla now too. Only you don't need to type /scan. You just put a detector block on your ship, and it shows up on your weapon bar. Select it, and click to "ping." Stuff will then show up for 30 seconds or so on your HUD and map.
Hmm... if I can figure out how ship building works now, I'll give it a go again. I've been itching for a replacement since Alpha whenever we quit.

Maybe now that it's out of alpha, they'll stop changing things around as quickly, and my designs might have a little more longevity, too.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Have you noticed whether they have fixed the solar/fuel interaction yet? Can bases finally be pure solar?

--Patrick
In space, it seems to work well.

Sometimes on planetside, it's still buggy.

But at least now you can have multiple solar capacitors, so your maximum stored solar energy can be enough to handle doing some smelting/constructing.

now you can have multiple solar capacitors
You could before, but that "fuel first" bug meant that it didn't matter if you had twenty of the things and they were all full, your base would still run out of power, your plants would die, etc. all because your fuel tank ran low.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Some new to me stuff - LCD displays can now be "projectors" that can project holographic text against other blocks or in midair, and is adjustable to size:

1597125824261.png

Those two little bow tie things on the ceiling are what's projecting those words on those containers, each one doing 3 containers (though it can do more).

And gas giants... boy are they scenic.

1597125924204.png

GasBandit

Staff member
Other neat things I didn't take a picture of -

Obviously, as you guys all know, the galaxy is now unlimited. There are uncounted solar systems, each with their own collection of planets. SVs can warp around within the confines of a solar system, but you need a CV to do interstellar jumps.

The galactic map now has "territory," that is, you can see the spheres of influence of the various npc factions. Systems within Zirax space will have a heavy Zirax presence, same for the Kriel Empire, Polaris, The Traders Guild, etc. Stars in unaffiliated space are largely devoid of competing NPCs except for the occasional low grade trading station. Warping to a star puts you right up against the star, and you'll have to do one more in-system warp to get to an orbit sector - and you can't build bases at the star itself.

There are now sectors that are literally completely empty space. No asteroids, no NPC bases, nothing. Good place to hide a player base maybe?

The "Loading..." screen when doing a warp jump has been done away with. Now, warping has an in-engine cinematic star-warsy hyperdrive streaky-star effect that looks pretty cool, and it much more immersively disguises loading the new playfield.

As I said, teleporters are now a vanilla thing, and can teleport to any other teleporter via menu system. CV teleporters are limited only to the current sector (meaning space and planet surface, you can teleport down to the surface and up to space but not from one orbit to another orbit or further)... base teleporters can reach any teleporter within 30 light years, so potentially you could have a string of bases that will let you teleport from star system to star system to star system, working your way across the galaxy. Also, if you're friendly to an NPC faction, you can teleport to any ship or station of theirs you have "discovered." But be warned, teleporting to an NPC ship is a bad idea. They keep their shields up all the time, and you can't teleport back out while the shields are up. And if that ship is moving, you will fall out.

The in-game chat system is MUCH improved.

I don't know when they added this, but there is now an Epic EM Pulse Rifle. It uses laser rifle ammo, and is better than assault rifles, pulse rifles, or laser rifles.

Planets with multiple moons (particularly Gas Giants) now have separate sector playfields for each moon.

Shields greatly improve the survivability of any CV, SV, or HV, but you cannot dock, warp, teleport, repair, or add blocks to any vessel that has its shields raised. And they're super power thirsty to have raised, and they refill their HP by using pentaxid.

NPC bases can now offer "station services" which shows up as a tab on your ship's control panel. They can charge credits to instantly repair your ship to its repair template, sell you ship ammo (directly into your ammo box), sell you oxygen, promethium fuel, or pentaxid fuel. There's actually a vanilla use for credits now! Repairing is SO convenient and instant!

Not so neat things -

Destroying the zirax drone base no longer permanently stops drone attacks. When the base regenerates, the attacks resume.

Orbital Trading Posts are completely immune to player weapons fire. I tried going into zirax territory to raid a trading station like it was a POI. There was literally nothing I could do to harm the base, even with ship turrets. But on the plus side, the trading station sent out an SOS that caused two Zirax corvettes to warp in and attack me, and they were decent salvage.

Some wandering NPC ships are buggy. If you attack them, they still do the "I'm holding still oh wait now I'm 4km away" thing. And sometimes that sudden position change can be 20km or more.

You still can't get up and walk around in a moving CV.

The way the game decides where your character pops out of the cockpit when you exit a ship has changed, and this has caused some "stuck in geometry" problems.

Things I've heard but not tested yet -

Apparently, I've heard something about SVs being allowed to use minigun turrets now? I need to check into that. It would make it a lot less dicey to park an SV outside a drone base.

Other neat things I didn't take a picture of -

The "Loading..." screen when doing a warp jump has been done away with. Now, warping has an in-engine cinematic star-warsy hyperdrive streaky-star effect that looks pretty cool, and it much more immersively disguises loading the new playfield.
I thought he was having a heart attack or an orgasm when he first saw it.

I still haven’t achieved warp on my new playthrough, so I haven’t seen it yet. But I agree that it’s light-years better than the old static “title card” method.
I like that the training mode now has a little HV you can repair to supplement the motorcycle.
Still have to get used to the new weights, material requirements, and all that. Oh, and also REBUILD ALL MY BLUEPRINTS AAGH.

—Patrick

I can't even get the damn thing to run. I keep getting "Low Memory Detected," errors, or the playfield fails to load. Guess I'll have to hope for some of those famous hot fixes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't even get the damn thing to run. I keep getting "Low Memory Detected," errors, or the playfield fails to load. Guess I'll have to hope for some of those famous hot fixes.
Odd, even Emrys can get it to load on 8 gigs of ram. I have 16 and it complains about low memory if I have firefox open, though... and I can see why, with absolutely nothing else open except for discord, it does routinely creep all the way up to over 15 gigs over the course of a couple hours.

This might be about VRAM, or about system RAM being “stolen“ for use with GPU.
Either way, it’s the sort of thing Task Manager is supposed to help you chase down.

—Patrick

Can confirm - despite being launched, game is STILL Alpha As Fish.
Yeah, I noticed that in my brief playthrough yesterday. Wreckage still floating in the air. Harvesting plants still creates a small hole in the ground for you to fall into. Start on one planet and you get a pistol but no ore scanner or detector, start on another and you get those two things but no pistol. Incredible amounts of clusters of three aggressive dinos ALL OVER the place. Plant harvesting hit boxes are all over the place. I didn't even get to the constructing anything point - largely because there were no iron bearing rocks on the surface of my world. And the complaints on the Steam forums are about what you'd expect for this launch. Three straight pages of variations on the same three themes - coop doesn't work, game keeps crashing, fix the fucking motorcycle.