Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Still way too early to tell, but google is telling me it has Biden up 85 to 61.

Aaaand I think I'm done checking for the night. I don't want to spend my night getting an ulcer. I'll just hear about it in the morning.

And for the rest of 2020 probably.
I don't understand how Google's thing works. It's currently called certain states as being won by one of the two candidates, but hovering over some of the states with my mouse shows that only a fraction of votes (like less than 10%) have been counted.

I don't understand how Google's thing works. It's currently called certain states as being won by one of the two candidates, but hovering over some of the states with my mouse shows that only a fraction of votes (like less than 10%) have been counted.
The reason is that in those particular states the 10% reported are from areas where the outcome was questionable in a state where the rest wasn't.

One thing of note, but we always considered there might be a blue shift. There are a LOT of mail in votes this year, so calling it all on election night anyways was a tall order. A lot of these places count the election day votes before the mail-in votes, so just give it time.

Either way, my disappointment of the trend I am seeing has gotten me low, and I have made a decision, I am cutting out politics.

I will always vote, and I will always vote democratic, but I am setting up to mute twitter of any words of any and all politicians, deleting my Facebook, and likely blocking this forum, as much as I enjoyed talking in it. I will also be deleting all my news shortcuts, and unfollow my funny political reddits. If anything newsworthy happens, I will let my family or my wife tell me.

The fact is the stress of all this has gotten me numb, my gut aches and my hair has gone white. I am a cis white male with a wife and two kids, self-employed, with my own non-Obamacare health insurance, living in a state that has always leaned Republican. I hate to be selfish on this, but Biden or Trump, I am not likely to be effected by it either way on a personal level, and my votes have always been about empathy for those that I feel could get hurt, but I can't take this anymore, and I feel my life will be better if I just cut it out of my life and act like nothing exists outside of my city and my local elections (but again, will always vote democratic in bigger elections even if I go in blind.)

Maybe in a few years, I will come back to it then and hope for the best, but for now, I just can't. I am sorry.

I don’t think the outlook is as bad as it feels. I know people had hopes of a huge blue wave that would give them a decent majority in the senate, and a decisive win for the president. That won’t happen.
I think that was always a pretty slim chance. It will be close, but I do think Biden will still squeak by. Either way, I think it once again highlights the problems with the electoral college.

I think it once again highlights the problems with the electoral college.
You know, those problems felt a lot less relevant back before so many people started basing their vote entirely on how they wanted their vote to directly affect them.

--Patrick

If this holds, will Pence give the concession speech, or will that just be skipped this time? Because you know that big orange fuck will never acknowledge that he lost.

I have gay friends in texas who voted for trump. I asked them "why would you vote for an administration that has proven that they want to strip all the protections from you for being gay that you've only recently gained in the last few years?"

If this holds, will Pence give the concession speech, or will that just be skipped this time? Because you know that big orange fuck will never acknowledge that he lost.
They aren't going to concede, they are going to spend the next 2 months trying to get the Supreme Court to find a way to overturn it.

They aren't going to concede, they are going to spend the next 2 months trying to get the Supreme Court to find a way to overturn it.
Agreed. but even red pundits are having a tough time selling the whole "Maybe we don't count all the votes" pitch. Even Ben "No I am not a kid's toy put me down" Shapiro called his victory declaration irresponsible. The election went much smoother than everyone expected, so now it's just counting where they said counting needed to happen. Not sure how the court could challenge the process that has literally always been there. I mean, they'll try, but the longer it goes on, the more he's going to look like a whiny baby sore loser.

Though four states have no deadline for certifying results, December 11 is the latest that California can certify their results (per Ballotpedia).

EC meets on December 14 to vote.

This is another question I have, because we all live online and sometimes can't see the bubble we're in: Have there been any confirmed instances in the last 20 years of Democrats trying to stop voters? It seems like the GOP is constantly trying to stop voters, but only the GOP.

This is another question I have, because we all live online and sometimes can't see the bubble we're in: Have there been any confirmed instances in the last 20 years of Democrats trying to stop voters? It seems like the GOP is constantly trying to stop voters, but only the GOP.
To my knowledge it is always the GOP. It has been a part of their official strategy for decades to limit the number of voters, because they typically do not have popular support (and they know it).

I'd have to find the article again (although I could have sworn I posted it in one of the threads), there have been 44 provable instances of voter fraud, and all 44 were GOP.