Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

"Billionaires in wine caves have as much right to say who gets to be president as waitresses in diners and plumbers in my bathroom. "
I mean, as stated, this is 100% true. One person, one vote, and all that.
Trouble is that, as you state later, they end up wielding disproportionately more influence due to their wealth and standing, which is unfair to those lacking the wealth and standing. They may be wealthy and influential, but there should be a meme picture of Gimli in their voting booth: “That still counts as one!”

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I mean, as stated, this is 100% true. One person, one vote, and all that.
Trouble is that, as you state later, they end up wielding disproportionately more influence due to their wealth and standing, which is unfair to those lacking the wealth and standing. They may be wealthy and influential, but there should be a meme picture of Gimli in their voting booth: “That still counts as one!”

—Patrick
A billionare has just as much right as a waitress. Billionaires shouldn't have as much voting power as waitresses and plumbers because there are a lot more people doing basic jobs than there are billionaires.

Yes. {All billionaires} contains vastly fewer people than {All waitresses and plumbers}, and as such deserves to have vastly lower voting power.

—Patrick

You didn't read the thread, did you?
...no, not until right after I made this post. I found it... enlightening.
It's almost Lauren Bacall, though. "You know how to dogwhistle, don't you? You just put your fingers together and smiiiile."

On the other hand, I REALLY HATED the ear-flicking game.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I find it strange that you have these Presidential contenders who are polling in the single digits who have so many followers claiming that their candidate is the only person who could possibly defeat Trump in an election.

What is that?
Complete disbelief in the polling?
Wishful thinking?

Good to know that a pardoned psychopath so deranged that his fellow SEALs sabotaged his equipment so that his rampant, gleeful butchering of non-combatants (children mostly apparently) would be more difficult is now a right wing hero and clothing designer.

Makes me actively sick to my stomach.

I forecast that a war with Iran will actually cause an increase in the cost of healthcare.

—Patrick

Last edited:
I more meant that any influx of new veterans will tax the existing system(s) even further... but you’re not wrong.

—Patrick
I'm certain that the current system of Veteran's Hospitals will continue to provide expensive, ineffective treatment to the vets that successfully manage to deal with their untreated psychological issues (because admitting you have psyche issues while on active service destroys your career and the US government doesn't give a shit about you once you get home).

figmentPez

Staff member
I more meant that any influx of new veterans will tax the existing system(s) even further... but you’re not wrong.
Which is true, but it's going to be hard to tell how much is warmongering unchecked greed, and how much is just all-purpose unchecked greed.

Regarding grocery shopping and zombies in that other thread: My wife informs me that there's an actual theory where zombie movies are more popular during Republican administrations because the zombies reflect the Left's fear that the Right is just a mass of unthinking individuals bent on consuming everything, but vampire movies are more popular during Democratic administrations because they play on the Right's fear the the Left is nothing but a bunch of amoral bloodsuckers.

Who knew.

--Patrick

Regarding grocery shopping and zombies in that other thread: My wife informs me that there's an actual theory where zombie movies are more popular during Republican administrations because the zombies reflect the Left's fear that the Right is just a mass of unthinking individuals bent on consuming everything, but vampire movies are more popular during Democratic administrations because they play on the Right's fear the the Left is nothing but a bunch of amoral bloodsuckers.

Who knew.

--Patrick
There's actually a cross-scale function of this:

- The more convinced a conservative is that they can survive on their own without help (despite whatever government aid they receive), the more likely they are to enjoy zombie movies in general.
- The more sympathetic the portrayal of vampires is in the movie (i.e. are they the ones actually being persecuted?) they higher it will rate for liberals.

So rating the popularity of these properties during political administrations actually has counter intuitive indicators across political beliefs.

figmentPez

Staff member

Paraphrased, "Why don't they just drop the case against the guy who pleaded guilty? Why would they proceed when they have such a flimsy case?"

Where’s that cartoon of the dog(?) running around yelling “Arrest me! Arressst meeee!” to every cop and shopkeeper he passes, but they all ignore him?

—Patrick

With no widely-trusted source of information out there, what's to prevent people from losing faith in Media entirely and just revert to reacting to everything based on gut feelings?

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
With no widely-trusted source of information out there, what's to prevent people from losing faith in Media entirely and just revert to reacting to everything based on gut feelings?

--Patrick
When have conversatives done anything besides relying on their gut feelings?