Minor victory thread

Dave

Staff member
Just got my holiday schedule. I will work on December 20 and then I won't work again until January 6. That's 16 days off in a row. I have to take 4 vacation days.

And it's all paid.

The company I worked for was purchased about a month ago by a much larger company with its own IT depart and such.
We've all been waiting for the other shoe to drop. The new IT folks came by this week to 'evaluate' our setup, and we figured if people were going to start getting the axe ,this would be the time.

So far...still employed.

Going by the line, I’m not the only one who loves it.

I know it’s bad and I know of a much healthier, fresher and all around better Mexican takeout place near work, but I just can’t quit Taco Bell and those nasty hot sauce packs.

There are at least three or four Mexican places that are closer and (probably) better for me than the nearest Taco Bell.

I don't eat at any of them.

Going by the line, I’m not the only one who loves it.

I know it’s bad and I know of a much healthier, fresher and all around better Mexican takeout place near work, but I just can’t quit Taco Bell and those nasty hot sauce packs.
I used to work at Taco Bell, all through high school. And I still love the food.

I worked at Tim’s just after university and it was a really clean store and I still love the donuts and Timbits. I needed a break because after being the one to finish them, I was sick of looking at them for a while, but they’re awesome.

GasBandit

Staff member
I worked at Olive Garden in High School.

Came home every night reeking of sweat and ricotta cheese.

Still can't eat there.

Two of my jobs in college were at a bagel luncheonette and an ice cream parlor. Never stopped loving those foods for a minute.

But my first job was at an A&P and I still hate grocery shopping to this day.

groceries are tedious.
Grocery shopping is a lot like fleeing a zombie apocalypse, except that the zombies aren’t trying to eat you, they’re just trying to obstruct your progress by pushing obstacles into your way and lingering.

—Patrick

I worked at New York Fries for a little while and a movie theatre for years. When I left both, there was about a 6 month cooling off period before I could enjoy either their fries, poutine or popcorn again.

I've soured on New York Fries lately as no one knows how to birds nest a poutine properly and it frustrates the hell out of me, plus it seems like they don't ever cook the fries long enough or hot enough cause they are always soggy, even those out of the gravy.

I still get at least a small popcorn everytime I go to the movies though to this day, despite it being insanely pricey.

For groceries, as long as Sarah is with me, I love it. Most other shopping for that matter. Alone it's a giant chore but together we just have fun with it.

Grocery shopping is a lot like fleeing a zombie apocalypse, except that the zombies aren’t trying to eat you, they’re just trying to obstruct your progress by pushing obstacles into your way and lingering.

—Patrick
This seems dangerously close to the othering nature of the NPC meme of the alt-right.

I've soured on New York Fries lately as no one knows how to birds nest a poutine properly and it frustrates the hell out of me, plus it seems like they don't ever cook the fries long enough or hot enough cause they are always soggy, even those out of the gravy.
Okay, color me intrigued: how do you do this?

Okay, color me intrigued: how do you do this?
It was just something they teach you, or are supposed to teach you, to do while working there.

It involves holding the poutine cup at an angle and then using the scoop to place the fries so they stand vertically. You get more fries and they stay crispy longer since they aren't all totally covered in gravy. Allows you to portion the gravy for each fry a bit better I find.

It takes longer for sure so I get why they don't always but I hate soggy fries.

Screenshot_20200103-183949_Gallery.jpg

It was just something they teach you, or are supposed to teach you, to do while working there.

It involves holding the poutine cup at an angle and then using the scoop to place the fries so they stand vertically. You get more fries and they stay crispy longer since they aren't all totally covered in gravy. Allows you to portion the gravy for each fry a bit better I find.

It takes longer for sure so I get why they don't always but I hate soggy fries.

View attachment 32639
Intriguing. I guess I just come from the school of "your fries are going to end up soggy anyways" when I've gone to TAPC. They also put their conglomerations in aluminum tins with plastic covers (for "to go" orders), so I don't think the bouquet* arrangement would work with their stuff.

* - BTW: curse you and your Yinzers, @DarkAudit; I keep wanting to misspell "bouquet" as "boquet" and you damn well know why.

In my case, when I grocery shop, my wife has a ready-made list with maybe 80 items on it, I go to the same half-dozen or so stores so I’m Intimately familiar with their layouts, and I’m usually doing it either on my way home after a 10hr workday or as the first thing I do the morning of my day off. So I am gonna blaze through those places at or near Supermarket Sweep speed, filling my cart(s) in half an hour or less. I ain’t got time to deal with lumbering browsers. As it is, it’s usually faster for me to leave my cart at one end of an aisle and run shuttle missions where I thread myself back and forth through the crowd to pick what I need before moving on to the next aisle. At that point, I don’t care who these people are, what sort of lives they lead, or even how many nipples they have—they are in my way and are impeding my transition from “stuff I’d rather not be doing” to “stuff I would rather be doing.” Mind you, I’m not going to stop treating them like actual real-life people, but I’m not going to let that stop me from circumnavigating them, either.

I guess what I’m saying is, the way I grocery shop, I could be employee of the month at an Amazon warehouse. More than once, even.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Not the grocery shopping part, the dehumanizing other people by referring to them as zombies part.
We routinely refer to athletes or other competitors as “monsters” or “beasts,” siblings as “pests,” or people who stay up late as “vampires” or “night owls” as a means to imply some particular connotation. Sometimes a metaphor is just a metaphor, and not an attempt to disparage any particular demographic.

—Patrick

We routinely refer to athletes or other competitors as “monsters” or “beasts,” siblings as “pests,” or people who stay up late as “vampires” or “night owls” as a means to imply some particular connotation. Sometimes a metaphor is just a metaphor, and not an attempt to disparage any particular demographic.

—Patrick
Thus "dangerously close".

figmentPez

Staff member
Back when I still had a car, I really liked grocery shopping at like 9 or 10pm. The stores are nearly empty, but there's still hours before closing.