Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Chick-Fil-A in a shockingly actual Christian move will no longer donate to organizations whose main goal seems to be the persecution of the LGBTQ community and instead focus on charities that address hunger, homelessness and education.

"Christians" are of course, furious.

The best one:

This person has obviously been to a Chick-Fil-A before.

Personally, going from actively trying to persecute LGBTQ folks to just not actively trying to harm them isn't enough for me, but it's a step.

Pompeo has just declared that the Israeli illegal settlements aren't illegal.
Talk about yet another foreign policy change that will last for decades and will cost hundreds - of not thousands - of innocent lives. Along with the Syria withdrawal, it really looks like either Trump is willing to let the world burn to divert attention from his impeachment and force a united-behind-our-leader story, or the powers controlling Trump are simply trying to do as much as possible to destabilize the world and/or establish their own power hold before they ditch him or they have to get rid of him because he's become untenable.

figmentPez

Staff member
Chick-Fil-A in a shockingly actual Christian move will no longer donate to organizations whose main goal seems to be the persecution of the LGBTQ community and instead focus on charities that address hunger, homelessness and education.
That's what they're trying to imply, but that's not what they've actually said, and they've lied about stopping donations to anti-LGBTQ+ "charities" before.

the powers controlling Trump are simply trying to do as much as possible to destabilize the world and/or establish their own power hold before they ditch him or they have to get rid of him because he's become untenable.
...this happens to be my headcanon as well. The miscreants know their remaining time in power is short, so they’ve cast off all remaining pretense of subterfuge to smash-n-grab whatever they can in the hopes they can escape before the cops arrive.

—Patrick

In the "all politics is local" category, the superintendent of our school district here in Mesa was put on administrative leave for non-disciplinary reasons by the school board. There are apparently negotiations over a severance package.

I have suspicions as to why her severance May Or may Not havE Yet happened, but it took a lot of people by surprise.

figmentPez

Staff member
That's what they're trying to imply, but that's not what they've actually said, and they've lied about stopping donations to anti-LGBTQ+ "charities" before.
"But when asked more specifically, [Chick-Fil-A] did not go so far as to say that it will no longer donate to organizations that oppose LGBTQ rights."
- source

That firing I talked about up thread? It is starting to sound like Dr. E-C made a decision that the school board didn't like, and instead of saying "no, we don't want you doing that," they fired her.

Except, they couldn't "fire" her, because it wasn't for cause. Which means they have to pay her salary until her contract is up in 2021.

Everything's being kept quiet, because of pending litigation - which leads me to believe she wanted to do something that the lawyers for the district said would get MPS sued.

I just "feel old"ed myself about next months UK General Election. As in I realised that there's going to be people voting in it that weren't born yet when the Twin Towers came down.

Latest on my district: MPS defends bonuses, administrative spending (Sorry if it's paywalled)

I am getting the feeling that the board didn't realize how much the Superintendent and her administrators were getting in bonuses after hiring them. And, I'm also getting the feeling that the board is also getting over-sensitive about possible litigation from anyone.

Oh, and as if that wasn't enough... MPS Bus Driver blew .263 on breathalyzer (No, not me, but I was driving to another school when it happened).

In a move surprising no-one at all, Bloomberg announced his candidacy for president.
What is it with these 70+ white guys thinking they're the saviors of your nation? No offense to Biden, Bloomberg, or Sanders (and some to Trump, cause why not), but presidents didn't use to be that old. Your time has passed, let another generation take over. The Boomers really can't stomach the thought of a next generation taking charge.
Did all these people feel passed by because of Obama? Do they really feel now is the time to take up a 4-year super-stressful heavy job? Jeeze.

In a move surprising no-one at all, Bloomberg announced his candidacy for president.
Or, as someone else put it:
bergemote.png

Michael Bloomberg is buying his way into the Democratic race because he's worried that the frontrunners "aren't plutophilic enough," leading to peak plute: "a billionaire deciding to possibly attempt to purchase a party nomination because of his fear that some candidates in the race aren’t plutophilic enough—and then running against a maybe–billionaire who promised that being a billionaire would make him specially incorruptible and now is in impeachment proceedings over his alleged corruption."
full source

--Patrick

There are some of us who don't vote the way "everyone" thinks we should vote, because to be quite honest those involved aren't showing beliefs that are in sync with what we do.

Well obviously they will tell their flocks to vote against removing tax exemptions for religious organizations, so...

--Patrick
I don't think it's a matter of voting? Religious institutions are considered legitimate at the sole discreation of the government; it's why they've gone after the Scientologists so hard on numerous occasions and why the Latter-Day Saints had to fight so hard to get included. If the government has just cause (or any cause really) they can and will revoke tax exempt statuses, they just don't do so in practice against more established faiths.

Terrorist attack on London Bridge.

Man wearing an explosive vest (later turned out to be a hoax vest) attacked pedestrians on London Bridge stabbing various people (2 confirmed dead so far) until he's wrestled to the ground by members of the public until armed police arrive who shoot him dead.