Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Fun local politics.

I don’t have a problem with moving away from Native Iconography. It seems like the respectful thing to do.

However, you see that last school listed? That one called “Salamanca”?

That school is on a Native Reservation.

The Face-palm is strong with this one.
I get what they want to achieve - get away from racist/colonial stereotypical portrayals - but if that's what it says, it also means any respectful use of names etc is prohibited. Can you imagine saying "no black names allowed"? Oy.

Fox is worth nearly 16.5 billion, much of which is not liquid assets. Barring any financial shenanigans, 780 million is more than 4.5% of what the company is worth.

On the one hand, I get it. Dominion faced an expensive lawsuit against Fox no matter how good the receipts were. On the other hand, Fox clearly knew they were about to be dragged through the town square and are throwing money to preserve their image, perhaps even that of specific individuals involved in the company. Is 780 million enough to make it sting for Fox? And will some of the other "networks" notice? Maybe. A little. Probably not enough.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fox is worth nearly 16.5 billion, much of which is not liquid assets. Barring any financial shenanigans, 780 million is more than 4.5% of what the company is worth.

On the one hand, I get it. Dominion faced an expensive lawsuit against Fox no matter how good the receipts were. On the other hand, Fox clearly knew they were about to be dragged through the town square and are throwing money to preserve their image, perhaps even that of specific individuals involved in the company. Is 780 million enough to make it sting for Fox? And will some of the other "networks" notice? Maybe. A little. Probably not enough.
Nobody will notice shit until heads roll off blocks.

On the plus side, if the stock price from Fox tanks tomorrow, maybe the shareholders will bring a suit against the directors of the board.

Dave

Staff member
None of this will move the needle on the voters who watch Fox news. Yet another witch hunt from the left.

The typical Fox News viewer is a 68-year-old white man without much education. Let's call him Wally Krunkleburger. He is still fighting the Civil War even if he lives in a Union state like Ohio or Kentucky, and he firmly believes that "woke" teachers are trying to indoctrinate his grandchildren and that's why they don't like visiting him. You can be sure that his wife watches with him partly because she was raised to do whatever her husband said. So long as Wally has the remote, they'll stick to Fox News or maybe move to harder stuff like Newsmax.

Except after eight o'clock. That's when Murder She Wrote is on.

The typical Fox News viewer is a 68-year-old white man without much education. Let's call him Wally Krunkleburger. He is still fighting the Civil War even if he lives in a Union state like Ohio or Kentucky, and he firmly believes that "woke" teachers are trying to indoctrinate his grandchildren and that's why they don't like visiting him. You can be sure that his wife watches with him partly because she was raised to do whatever her husband said. So long as Wally has the remote, they'll stick to Fox News or maybe move to harder stuff like Newsmax.

Except after eight o'clock. That's when Murder She Wrote is on.
This isn't true. It's easy to assume that they are all slack jawed uneducated yokels, except they aren't. And they fall for it anyway. And that's what makes it even more dangerous. They can be highly educated, stand up citizens, respected among their peers, and they still fall for it.

If you have no connection to anyone like this, it's easy to assume they are just morons, but that's a highly dangerous assumption that belittles the true threat and undermines the real danger. I know highly intelligent people that have fallen for this particular kind of brain worm. I'm sure people like @GasBandit can back me up on this.

I don't have an answer for how to combat this, just that turning your nose up and assuming they must be inbred rednecks is going to miss the point entirely.

Oh I know that some otherwise intelligent people fall for Fox News. I’m related to some. I’m saying that the Fox News audience demographic tends to be older and less likely to have a college degree than, say, an NPR listener.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh I know that some otherwise intelligent people fall for Fox News. I’m related to some. I’m saying that the Fox News audience demographic tends to be older and less likely to have a college degree than, say, an NPR listener.
Crazy thing is, my Dad IS an NPR listener. He fancies himself erudite and contemplative because he'll flip back and forth between CNN and Fox News to get "the full picture of both sides" or some nonsense like that. He is (well, WAS, he "retired" some years ago) a doctor, a gulf war veteran, a paratrooper, a pilot, a well educated and well traveled man. And just like every other over-60, the neoliberals have got him tilting at the windmills of his perceived societal and cultural threats.

I didn't know until today what an ammosexual he's apparently become. I straight up told him it was not lost on me that, of the several "funny" political humor pictures he sent out today, the Kyle Rittenhouse one was the one he didn't CC his (African-American) wife, my stepmother.

I wonder if everything's all right on that front.

Carson seems more like an idiot savant. There's no denying that he's a brilliant surgeon, but he is utterly out of his depth in other fields that he pretends to be knowledgeable of.