Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Dave

Staff member
“Edited by a moderator,” but no red text? Hmm.

—Patrick
He put "can't handle a 3rd grad concept". So I added the "e".[DOUBLEPOST=1516907108,1516907074][/DOUBLEPOST]And I don't see that "edited" text so I didn't think anyone would notice. Oops.

GasBandit

Staff member
He put "can't handle a 3rd grad concept". So I added the "e".[DOUBLEPOST=1516907108,1516907074][/DOUBLEPOST]And I don't see that "edited" text so I didn't think anyone would notice. Oops.
You gotta remember to check that "edit silently" box :p

Every time I discuss the need to cut the defense budget, someone claims that cuts to military spending would mean cutting troop pay or equipment like armor.

THIS STUPID SHIT is what I’m talking about. The military-industrial complex is ruining America with bullshit like this.

Every time I discuss the need to cut the defense budget, someone claims that cuts to military spending would mean cutting troop pay or equipment like armor.

THIS STUPID SHIT is what I’m talking about. The military-industrial complex is providing jobs in otherwise empty and desolate parts of the country and basically just a way to dump money and keep people occupied

Nope, nope, nope. Take that stupid fucking argument elsewhere. Other industries and other opportunities would be available. And if they aren’t, it’s a pretty good sign that people need to move or get training/skills.

Nope, nope, nope. Take that stupid fucking argument elsewhere. Other industries and other opportunities would be available. And if they aren’t, it’s a pretty good sign that people need to move or get training/skills.
I'm not saying it's a good argument - it'd cost the same or less to put all those hundreds of thousands of people to work in a sector that might improve happiness or social stability. It's just part of the truth :p

I'm not saying it's a good argument - it'd cost the same or less to put all those hundreds of thousands of people to work in a sector that might improve happiness or social stability. It's just part of the truth :p
I know, I could tell. Calling that argument stupid doesn’t mean I think you’re stupid, or that you’re actually making the argument. But conservatives in this country are all about the free market until it comes to defense spending, and it drives me nuts.

I know, I could tell. Calling that argument stupid doesn’t mean I think you’re stupid, or that you’re actually making the argument. But conservatives in this country are all about the free market until it comes to defense spending, and it drives me nuts.
Look, the fact that Boeing employs 35% of the less-educated population of my state and they sponsored my re-election campaign for $lots has nothing to do with my proposal to give a contract for $lotsmore to them, and you're mean and evil to suggest otherwise.

Don't let BUT HILLARY distract you from the fact that the *sitting* president is refusing to enforce a law he signed and was near unanimously passed by both housed of Congress.

Don't let BUT HILLARY distract you from the fact that the *sitting* president is refusing to enforce a law he signed and was near unanimously passed by both housed of Congress.
Ah, so you're changing your tune on whether Obama should have enforced DOMA and immigration laws? If I recall correctly you believed that it was his right to wield the executive power constitutionally, and that he didn't have to enforce laws congress passed which he felt didn't meet his interpretation of the constitution?

But even if you are changing your tune now, this tactic is almost as old as the presidency itself: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...uz-says-barack-obama-first-president-who-thi/

What part of sitting president did you not understand?
I thought I understood your point, but I guess I don't. Hillary Clinton is still politically active, this is a political thread, and there's some ongoing discussion about her. I'm sorry you feel that every time she is brought up you have to bring attention to Trump, I don't know if this is defensive or if you really think I don't know about the latest kerfluffle, but it appears you feel it's important, so here we are.

Obama (and bush, reagan, nixon, truman, roosevelt, johnson, lincoln) were sitting presidents when they chose not to enforce certain laws congress passed.
Trump is the sitting president as he's now choosing not to enforce laws congress passed.
You're complaining about Trump not enforcing laws.
I recall you being happy about the previous president doing the same thing.

So either you're experiencing partisan bias, or you've changed your mind about what a "sitting president" can and cannot do.

If you're trying to make a different point, then I'm sorry it has completely flown over my head and is currently causing a problem for DTW flight controllers.

Necessary change of subject here. A train carrying GOP members of Congress has collided with a garbage truck. Reports of at least one fatality and some injuries. But all senators and congress people are apparently okay.

Even if this is a normal tactic, how often does it happen with laws that that very president himself signed?
It was passed with a veto proof number of votes in congress. At the time he complained about it, indicated he'd probably not implement it, but signed it anyway "as a show of unity with congress" (paraphrased here).

I suspect he just didn't want to appear weak, refusing to sign something and then having congress override him.

Here's one article written at the time it happened:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/was...ns-russia-sanctions-1501685899-htmlstory.html[DOUBLEPOST=1517421083,1517420797][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, here's the text of the bill. If one reads it you'll find there are all sorts of loopholes that provide the president with ample room to avoid enforcing it. According to section 112 all he has to do is say, "It's in the interest of national security that it not be implemented at this time."

Congress may ask for proof or further explanation, but at that point all they can do to strong arm him is impeachment.

Isn't impeachment the only tool for dealing with the President refusing to implement a law passed by congress anyway?
They can censure the president it’s not much really. They could also start removing the president’s funding for things he wants unless the president starts enforcing the laws they want enforced.

Of course both actions are dead in Congress under republican control but they are an equal branch of government.

The most senior member of the State Department resigned today pending his replacement. For personal not partisan reasons. The loss represents a huge blow to the department.