Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I'm not the one who invoked the 18th century first. You can't leave only part of the Constitution stuck 250 years in the past.
Invoking textualism and attacking a lazy caricature of it are different things. That said, I'd love to read a book on how U.S./World history might've shaped up with that sort of interpretation being front-and-center in all areas of government. It'd make for a cool Harry Turtledove book :)

Invoking textualism and attacking a lazy caricature of it are different things. That said, I'd love to read a book on how U.S./World history might've shaped up with that sort of interpretation being front-and-center in all areas of government. It'd make for a cool Harry Turtledove book :)
The "Sands of Time" trilogy:

"A Line In the Sand" - Wherein the conditions are established
"The Ley of the Land*" - Detailing factions' territories/interactions & exploring the interpretation of the law
"Holding the Line" - Building to the giant, anachronistic confrontations, and how their resolutions shape the world

--Patrick
*I love the entendre in this title

The "Sands of Time" trilogy:

"A Line In the Sand" - Wherein the conditions are established
"The Ley of the Land*" - Detailing factions' territories/interactions & exploring the interpretation of the law
"Holding the Line" - Building to the giant, anachronistic confrontations, and how their resolutions shape the world

--Patrick
*I love the entendre in this title
Welp, get to writing! :p

GasBandit

Staff member
@DarkAudit there's a difference between knowing what a word meant to someone when they wrote it and limiting all interpretations of a concept to that which was available at the time of writing. As others have pointed out, it's stupid to say the 2nd amendment only applies to 18th century technology. If the same standard was applied to the first amendment, then it would only apply to movable type printing presses, and not radio, TV, or Internet.

Furthermore, the definition of words change, but the intent stays the same. What once was "consumption" is now "tuberculosis." Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople. But one thing is constant - knowing the intent of a law (or an amendment) is more important. That's why "freedom of the press" now applies to all forms of communication and media, and not just a literal printing press. Because of the intent of those who wrote and ratified the amendment.

This smirking dumb piece of shit is one of the people in charge of your country.

Holy fucking shit.
. . . Because Russia was great to deal with after WW2?

What the fuck is wrong with the Republicans' memory when it comes to Russia? I've really started wondering if the all of tge USSR's pseudoscience research has paid off and they've made themselves something like that memory wipe thing from Men in Black.

Why the fuck was he interviewed? Makes no fucking sense.
And who thought it would be a good idea to air it on Father's Day?

Multiple people had to sign off on this on multiple occasions. To okay the idea in the first place, to set up the interview, to get the people and equipment to do it, to edit it, and on and on. At no point in the process did anyone consider this was a BAD IDEA? JPMorgan Chase did. They've pulled their ads from NBC this week over this.

Dave

Staff member
Since everyone already knows what bullshit he's going to peddle, pull the fucking thing. They don't HAVE to show this. And they should not.

Since everyone already knows what bullshit he's going to peddle, pull the fucking thing. They don't HAVE to show this. And they should not.
Left a voicemail for my local NBC affiliate telling them the interview was distasteful, the air date chosen was sickening, and his ideas have no place in any society. And that damn the consequences from the network, they shouldn't air it.

I agree that Alex Jones is a stain on humanity, but Father's Day is the 18th.

(For some reason I thought the interview happened last weekend, didn't realize it is coming up)

Last edited:
Lets shine a light on the weirdo. Public ridicule might helps see what an ass hat that he is.

The American people need to know who the enemy really is.

Steve Scalise, Republican whip in the house, shot in Virginia by a guy with a semi-automatic. He was hit in the hip and should make a full recovery.

I'm sure this incident won't impact our freedoms in any way.

--Patrick
If the shooter is anything other than a conservative heterosexual white Christian male, we are probably going to see some bullshit from the right. Let's just hope the damage is contained.

By the way, if this is politically motivated, fuck that person. The country doesn't need that shit at all. I'm glad everyone is (relatively) okay.

I'm sure this incident won't impact our freedoms in any way.

--Patrick
"It would've been a massacre if not for the police, we only had baseball bats to defend us against a rifle!"

Yeah, well, either carry a gun during sportso r make sure idiots cvan't carry guns :rolleyes::pud:

GasBandit

Staff member
If the shooter is anything other than a conservative heterosexual white Christian male, we are probably going to see some bullshit from the right. Let's just hope the damage is contained.

By the way, if this is politically motivated, fuck that person. The country doesn't need that shit at all. I'm glad everyone is (relatively) okay.
He's lily white, but hard left.

He's lily white, but hard left.
Kati's comment was "He's got to be either Libertarian or Berniecrat."
Her other comment was, "D'ya think they'll do anything about guns now that some Republicans got shot and not just brown people? There were plenty of 'good guys with guns' there...and lo and behold people still got shot."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Kati's comment was "He's got to be either Libertarian or Berniecrat."
No, it was a shooting. That means probably a leftist.

If he'd tried to burn the place down or blow it up with fertilizer, that'd have been a right winger.

You might ask her for me, which Libertarian she's thinking of that perpetrated a mass shooting, because I can't recall one.

Her other comment was, "D'ya think they'll do anything about guns now that some Republicans got shot and not just brown people? There were plenty of 'good guys with guns' there...and lo and behold people still got shot."

--Patrick
Actually, the only "good guys with guns" there were a couple police officers, who were also wounded. As noted by Bubble, one doesn't usually pack heat during baseball practice.

Last edited:
one doesn't usually pack heat during baseball practice.
No, I know. I just don't know which way it'll go. I figure it'll either be "guns for everyone so everyone has guns all the time" or "nobody can have guns except 'us,'" I'm just not sure which way the next week is gonna go.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm getting e-mails from people wanting my station to play "PSAs" supporting the banning of powdered alcohol in Texas, which has been put to a vote before and shot down.

Their primary argument basically boils down to

and I have a knee jerk reaction to oppose any cause that uses that tactic.