Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
Pills that make a regular drink stronger. Really, I can't think of a way that could be abused.
Only the ways that stronger drinks are already abused, I suppose. I mean, there is a physical limit to how much alcohol there can be in any given drink by volume, and booze is legal all the way up through that physical limit.

Of course, when you get into the 180+ proof range, drinking starts to feel like french kissing a lit rocket engine, as sixpackshaker made mention.

GasBandit

Staff member
When the Left turns on itself

Copypasta from Imgur follows:

A few weeks ago, a liberal, good-hearted Jewish professor, with proven progressive credentials, came under attack from social justice extremists. Their threats continue today.

The ferocity of the students involved is so uniform, deluded and irrational that is is being said that they exhibit signs of cult-like behavior. The students protesters have come to believe that they are under attack and that their college - one of the most liberal in the nation - is a hotbed of systemic racism.

This is a fascinating story that speaks to human nature, and what happens when emotion and ideological purity overrides rational thinking.

IMO, this strange story is going to be better than any Netflix movie you have tagged for the weekend. You're going to want to buy some popcorn.

Un-f*cking-believable spoilers ahead. (You're still going to want to watch, though.)

In the two videos (links below), you will learn that:
- Prof. Bret Weinstein is a tenured professor at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington
- As a youth, he exposed an incident of racist abuse by his fellow college students
- Weinstein has been a college professor at Evergreen for over 15 years
- Evergreen College is a very liberal college.
- A time-honored event at the college was re-cast to exclude white people
- Weinstein decided to not participate and wrote an email saying he would be on campus that day
- Student protesters swarmed Weinstein in what could arguably be called a "hostage situation".
- Weinstein's students came to his defense. Protesters now dox and stalk them on campus, at their homes and in the woods
- Other professors have privately expressed support to Weinstein but they remain silent out of fear
- Protesters began stopping cars, asking for IDs, presumably trying to find Weinstein
- The college police called Weinstein to tell him it was not safe to return
- The college administration had told the college police to "stand down".
- Student protesters now view the act of reasoning as a tool to "validate oppression".
- "Tools used by science to determine what is true are tools of oppression themselves."
- The emotional state is now such that "durable progress" (through reasoning) is not possible.
- At a meeting on the matter, it was made known that "the food and the chairs are for people of color"
- The protesters cornered the college president and would not let him go to the bathroom.
- The protesters told the college president to stop using his hands to talk
- The college president apologized on behalf of the white staff and agreed to a list of student demands
- The protesters have turned on the college's chief of police.
- The protesters have turned on the college's grievance officer
- Weinstein is worried that, if it spreads, the gains of the civil rights movement could be destroyed

(videos) Joe Rogan Experience #970 - Bret Weinstein

LIVE with Bret Weinstein: Evergreen State College Racism Controversy

Professor told he's not safe on campus after college protests at Evergreen State College (WashPo)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ests-at-evergreen-state-university-washington

Wait, why are we pretending this shit is new?

Isn't this shit exactly what Malcolm X was preaching before he went to Mecca?

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, why are we pretending this shit is new?

Isn't this shit exactly what Malcolm X was preaching before he went to Mecca?
It's topical because it's going on right now.

We're not pretending it is new, we're chronicling its continuance. Sort of like how that Twitter lady Dei follows and quotes every week chronicles all the crazy shit Trump does.

Apparently, a very large part of this story is not true as presented.

Supposedly, Weinstein had been very vocal for months about pushing back on new diversity/inclusion policies (such as mandatory training for faculty and campus staff) supported by other faculty members, including mocking these policies on Facebook and Twitter. At least some of these policy suggestions came about after a string of incidents on-campus, but also after off-campus incidents of violent police action that has the student body concerned. The precipitating event seems to be two black students being forcibly detained by campus police at 2am while walking around campus, and Weinstein is on blast for all his previous stances against diversity/inclusion policies.

The doxing and threats, of course are intolerable should be punished, but also seems to be flying in all directions, including from Weinstein himself.

His stance on the "anti-white" event that he talked about on Fox also seems completely unhinged, going by the now-public email exchange.

GasBandit

Staff member
They're not your words, but if you want to defend them... whatever.
What I meant was, I understood the phrase fine, and did not think it was communicating anything was "new."

Kind of like the show titled "When Animals Attack"... the title did not lead me to believe that animal attacks were a new thing.

Why would a discussion of relationship between ethnicity and evolution be productive in this high-tempered social and cultural situation? I'm not stating what he does or does not intend, because the letter only vaguely alludes to the situation (it was one thing and I thought it was and I was right--not too good on specifying subject matter for a professor), but that easily be read or misread as tying the situation in with eugenics.

Why would a discussion of relationship between ethnicity and evolution be productive in this high-tempered social and cultural situation? I'm not stating what he does or does not intend, because the letter only vaguely alludes to the situation (it was one thing and I thought it was and I was right--not too good on specifying subject matter for a professor), but that easily be read or misread as tying the situation in with eugenics.
Because that's his field, he educates for a living, and it's an angle of attack that racists "race realists" use. It's along the lines of what I'd expect bio prof to offer to contribute to a discussion about race.

Because that's his field, he educates for a living, and it's an angle of attack that racists "race realists" use. It's along the lines of what I'd expect bio prof to offer to contribute to a discussion about race.
And that's helpful context. The rest of his letter was in the frame of "you already know my point of view" so just being posted here is overall lacking clarity.

Kind of like the show titled "When Animals Attack"... the title did not lead me to believe that animal attacks were a new thing.
But an attack is simply violent aggression, while "turning on" implies there was a previous time when there was a consensus amongst the faction talked about.

I mean, i get how you'd see it that way, since you can just lump them all in the "not-libertarian" category, but those divisions have always been there.

GasBandit

Staff member
But an attack is simply violent aggression, while "turning on" implies there was a previous time when there was a consensus amongst the faction talked about.

I mean, i get how you'd see it that way, since you can just lump them all in the "not-libertarian" category, but those divisions have always been there.
That's an interesting perspective, but I don't think I agree with it. I think it's more a case of a golem parable.

Not familiar with that one.
I think he's referring to the story of the golem where it goes a bit crazy because it was given bad instructions and had to have it's azoth removed so it would stop killing people, emeth -> meth style.
Except the golem was created because that race of people did (and still do) face violence simply because of who they are. And those instructions only seemed reasonable because of that fact. The story is a warning about the dangers of going too far, but it's a warning for both sides.

GasBandit

Staff member
Not familiar with that one.

But if you mean "a monster of their own making", that's more of a Frankenstein thing.
I think he's referring to the story of the golem where it goes a bit crazy because it was given bad instructions and had to have it's azoth removed so it would stop killing people, emeth -> meth style.
Except the golem was created because that race of people did (and still do) face violence simply because of who they are. And those instructions only seemed reasonable because of that fact. The story is a warning about the dangers of going too far, but it's a warning for both sides.
Similar to Frankenstein, yes. It's a story about the rule of unintended consequences, and your creation running amok in ways that you didn't intend.

Seriously, what's unhinged in this e-mail? It reads perfectly reasonable.

View attachment 24419
Because he's tilting at windmills he thinks are discriminating against him.

The event in the email he's responding to is very clearly simply encouraging students to stand in solidarity by registering and attending events that physically can't be attended by the entire student body. While the programs of the two events are clearly built for different audiences, there is also no indication whatsoever that different ethnicities are required to attend either one. His "no-whites on campus" thing is entirely in his head. Both the email he responded to and the email that responded to him make this clear.