Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

And the reason for hate crime laws, is jury nullification. No one could get a conviction of a white man killing a black. Juries don't have an issue with convicting blacks.

And the reason for hate crime laws, is jury nullification. No one could get a conviction of a white man killing a black. Juries don't have an issue with convicting blacks.
Uh link? Methinks that's not how it works on multiple counts. Jury Nullification would still happen with such laws, regardless, so I think you have a misunderstanding here.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, Den had it right.
I think it's a little overly cynical to assert such. If four white people had recorded themselves on facebook abusing and threatening a black person with a knife while yelling "fuck obama" and "fuck black people," they'd be seeing jail time, "hate crime" or no.

Uh link? Methinks that's not how it works on multiple counts. Jury Nullification would still happen with such laws, regardless, so I think you have a misunderstanding here.
Hate crimes can be tried in federal court in the US so you're not gonna have a bunch of white people from bumfuck Alabama on the jury.

I actually think both sides are right here. All whites kicking down a black man would've been classified a hate crime in a heartbeat. And also a bunch of black people are far more likely to face jailtime than a bunch if white kids.

While I agree with you, you are also turning the discussion around on to why that might be, rather than why this horrific thing happened, seemingly downplaying it as not a big deal.

It's still a big deal.
By horrific thing are you talking about the attack, the slight delay in picking the charges, the police statement, ... ?

The attack is terrible, but so is every other group-based attack, specially when race enters the equation (due to the involuntary nature of membership). On a different level, I'm sorry that a mentally disabled person being abused in the U.S. doesn't even raise my eyebrows.

The slight delay is par for the course. While these people aren't cops, you still need prosecutors to agree that the charges can be driven home (or settled). Otherwise you get <insert every over-charged white-on-black crime here>. I've made peace with how the legal system works here, strange as it seemed at first.

The police statement is a poorly worded attempt to translate the reasoning behind the delay--would a jury buy the "bluster" argument? If so, charging them with a hate crime may jeopardize the whole prosecution. I expect very little from police--if I don't trust them to police the citizenry without murdering them, why would I expect nuanced communiqués?

I actually think both sides are right here. All whites kicking down a black man would've been classified a hate crime in a heartbeat. And also a bunch of black people are far more likely to face jailtime than a bunch if white kids.
In America, only one point of view can be correct, at the expense of all others, even if they are only tangentially related.

Dave

Staff member
So it's either racially motivated or it was motivated because he was disabled. Okay. I don't believe it but let's assume.

"With the passage of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, the Bureau became authorized to investigate these crimes without this prohibition. This landmark legislation also expanded the role of the FBI to allow for the investigation of hate crimes committed against those based on biases of actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or gender." -FBI.gov
Looks like it's a hate crime either way. Book 'em, Danno.

GasBandit

Staff member
So it's either racially motivated or it was motivated because he was disabled. Okay. I don't believe it but let's assume.

Looks like it's a hate crime either way. Book 'em, Danno.
I don't think you understand, Dave... the suspects are not white.

Dave

Staff member
I don't think you understand, Dave... the suspects are not white.
Fuck 'em. Hate crimes are hate crimes.

Personally, I think ALL crimes are hate crimes and that the hate crime designation is bullshit, but that's another argument for another time.

Fuck 'em. Hate crimes are hate crimes.

Personally, I think ALL crimes are hate crimes and that the hate crime designation is bullshit, but that's another argument for another time.

Motives are critical in criminal law. That is why we have designations of manslaughter and murder. Is criminal negligence hateful? It is certainly odd to speak of hate in that way. I think classifying all crimes as hate crimes neglects this important consideration.

So I picked up something completely tangential in that hate crime article:

On Wednesday, Chicago Police Capt. Steven Sesso of the Harrison District said officers on patrol Tuesday near Homan and Lexington encountered the victim walking on the street.
“They saw clearly that this individual was in distress and he was in crisis. And they cared enough to do something about it,” Sesso said.
I mean, I assume it's just a case of the Capt. responding to a question without enough time to word his thoughts properly, but still my mind boggled at the idea the cops are praised for caring enough to do their fucking job

GasBandit

Staff member
So I picked up something completely tangential in that hate crime article:

I mean, I assume it's just a case of the Capt. responding to a question without enough time to word his thoughts properly, but still my mind boggled at the idea the cops are praised for caring enough to do their fucking job
Technically there's nothing illegal about going out in shorts on a cold day.

Technically there's nothing illegal about going out in shorts on a cold day.
No, but what they saw was the guy in distress, they recognized the signs that there had been a crime committed. They did that part of their job well - and should be praised for that, not for caring enough to not just go for donuts anyway.

By horrific thing are you talking about the attack, the slight delay in picking the charges, the police statement, ... ?
The attack itself.
The attack is terrible, but so is every other group-based attack, specially when race enters the equation (due to the involuntary nature of membership). On a different level, I'm sorry that a mentally disabled person being abused in the U.S. doesn't even raise my eyebrows.
Den, I'm still saying that this is basically UNprecidented. Outside of movies/TV, when's the last time you heard about a kidnapping and torture being live-streamed? Add in a heap of racism along with it, along with the disabled aspect... these people are basically TV/Movie villains, but not anonymous, so they got caught immediately.

But the scale of the crime... this is not typical race crime, from any angle. Live kidnap/torture streaming on the internet, and not from the middle east either. From Chicago. That's f'n terrifying. And then the downplaying of this from any angle is just sickening on top of that.

The attack itself.

Den, I'm still saying that this is basically UNprecidented. Outside of movies/TV, when's the last time you heard about a kidnapping and torture being live-streamed? Add in a heap of racism along with it, along with the disabled aspect... these people are basically TV/Movie villains, but not anonymous, so they got caught immediately.

But the scale of the crime... this is not typical race crime, from any angle. Live kidnap/torture streaming on the internet, and not from the middle east either. From Chicago. That's f'n terrifying. And then the downplaying of this from any angle is just sickening on top of that.
Ohhh. The live-stream aspect is new, though I'm not sure why you think it's so noteworthy vs. first committing the atrocity and then uploading it, like in every other atrocity that reaches the net.

It's understandable that the proximity, geographical or cultural, to the crime terrifies you. I personally had trouble sleeping for about a week after watching the flaying+torture that was posted on /r/watchpeopledie recently, and I'm not even in the same continent, class, culture, or ethnicity. I think you're overreacting when it comes to the police statement, which I think was poorly worded but probably understandable with more background info.

This was a crime by human beings, not cartoon villains. There probably was an instigator in the group, and then tribalism and natural cruelty took over. They will all pay dearly in loss of liberty for what they did, and can hopefully be rehabilitated.

I don't have links, but you won't have to look hard to find it: The Golden Globes was a near-relentless bashing of Trump.

I can't wait to see if and how he responds via Twitter.

Dave

Staff member
Well, Trump tweeted that Meryl Streep was one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood. Seriously.

Trump.jpg

Then he says he wasn't mocking the disabled reporter, he's was merely imitating him in a disparaging manner.

THAT'S FUCKING MOCKING.

THAT'S ALMOST THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION YOU CRETIN![DOUBLEPOST=1483969825,1483969349][/DOUBLEPOST]HOW DID YOU ELECT THIS MAN!?

I don't believe this world is real anymore.