Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Jonathan Pie ultimately talking about the 'problem with democracy today'.

"I'd rather have a democracy that doesn't always go my way than not have a democracy at all."

Yeah. If I don't agree with you, that doesn't make me The Enemy, it just makes me a person who doesn't agree with you.

--Patrick
But if you're not with me, you're against me. I'm pretty sure that makes you my enemy . . . I - I just used a Dubya quote to make my point. ugh. I'm gonna go scrub my brain now.

Yeah. If I don't agree with you, that doesn't make me The Enemy, it just makes me a person who doesn't agree with you.
In all seriousness to the topic though, too often the attitude goes "You don't agree with me, which means you're HURTING those that my views would help (and/or myself), which makes you a monster." And (this is outside of quotes) whatever points about whomever the first person's views are hurting are TRIVIAL next to whom the other is hurting.

Necronic

Staff member
There are lines though. When someone attacks the very underpinnings of the government, the underpinnings that are truly nonpartisan, that's when it goes from "we agree to disagree" to "you're my enemy".

And right now we are facing an enemy. And it's a Russian brand cheeto.

The Russian ambassador to Turkey was shot and killed in front of cameras in Ankara... By a Turkish cop, claiming because of the situation in Aleppo.
No clear view yet on what impact this'll have on Russian-turkish relations...
Fyi, Russia supports the Assad regime, Turkey supports the rebels who were pushed out of A.

Heh, remember how I said a few months ago that our current time in history will be in the books under a section titled "Factors leading to...?"
I hate that you're right. This has the feeling of watching a balloon expand too much... right before it pops.

Keep in mind that it was just a year ago when Turkey downed a Russian fighter jet. That didn't start a war, and it's unlikely that this will either. It may add to the pile of straw that may ultimately break the camel's back, but in this case it'll be assumed that it wasn't turkey, but rather terrorists/Syrian rebel supporters.

It may, however, give Russia a public excuse to go harder in syria.

Let's just hope that Andrei Karlov doesn't become the same type of name as Archduke Franz Ferdinand to history. VERY unlikely as relations have been (for the most part) good between those two countries (the two dictators have figured out they have more in common than not), but still, it wasn't a state actor that killed Ferdinand either, so anything's possible.

It wasn't the assassination, per se, as much as it was all these treaties that didn't give countries any sort of wiggle room.

It wasn't the assassination, per se, as much as it was all these treaties that didn't give countries any sort of wiggle room.
The article, which is accurate in its claims about the general consensus of causes for WWI amongst historians, points out that Germany wanted a war and merely used the assassination as an excuse or cover. The real cause was Germany's growing power and their feeling that a war was the only way to secure resources before it was too late.

Kinda sounds like Russia right now, so it's still terrifying.

GasBandit

Staff member
The article, which is accurate in its claims about the general consensus of causes for WWI amongst historians, points out that Germany wanted a war and merely used the assassination as an excuse or cover. The real cause was Germany's growing power and their feeling that a war was the only way to secure resources before it was too late.

Kinda sounds like Russia right now, so it's still terrifying.
Russia looks at warm water the way (people think) the US looks at oil.

Dave

Staff member
There really is no end to the terrible things that a Trump presidency is going to have on the world and our freedoms as Americans.

There really is no end to the terrible things that a Trump presidency is going to have on the world and our freedoms as Americans.
Nope, saw that with the very first appointment.

Oddly enough, Gas should be pleasantly surprised. We will get to see Government shrunk down to next to nothing in every major department. Interesting times indeed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nope, saw that with the very first appointment.

Oddly enough, Gas should be pleasantly surprised. We will get to see Government shrunk down to next to nothing in every major department. Interesting times indeed.
I'll believe it when I see it. Government doesn't get smaller. Not even under republicans. There's nothing as permanent as a temporary government program.

I'll believe it when I see it. Government doesn't get smaller. Not even under republicans. There's nothing as permanent as a temporary government program.
Good news! The new president is neither a Democrat nor a Republican. He is the standard bearer for the new American Idiot party. So your wish may still come true.

So there's been a "tiff" lately in Canada with regards to our Prime Minister's Charity. He has one. That doesn't have contribution limits like our political parties do. Sound like somebody from the USA?

Trudeau channels Hillary Clinton

The section I think that epitomizes the issue is here:

News broke in late November that the Liberal Party of Canada was hosting private fundraising events featuring Trudeau, with tickets selling for $1,500-a-pop.

Attendees at a May, 2016 event included wealthy Chinese businessmen with financial interests in Canada.

According to the Globe and Mail, Zhang Bin, an advisor to the Chinese Communist government, attended the dinner and it was soon thereafter announced Zhang Bin would be donating to Trudeau’s pet causes.

Zhang donated $750,000 to the University of Montreal, $200,000 to the Trudeau Foundation and $50,000 to build a statue of Justin’s father, former Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau.

(The Foundation says the negotiations for the donations occurred before the fundraiser and that Justin Trudeau resigned from the Foundation in December, 2014.).

Another attendee at the $1,500-per-person fundraiser, Chinese banker Shenglin Xian, had a banking licence pending approval before the federal government, according to the Globe.

A few weeks later, his bank, Wealth One, was given final approval to operate in Canada.

(A Liberal party spokesman says Xian’s application was not discussed at the fundraiser.)

But after weeks of Liberals denying any lobbying had taken place at these private fundraisers, Trudeau, during his year-end news conference, said Liberal donors do use their access at such events to lobby him.

But, according to Trudeau, he’s not influenced by this and he champions Canada’s middle class at these high-dollar fundraisers.
Remember, he's above ethical considerations. He wasn't influenced at all by those donations, either to the party , or to his foundation.

Uh huh.
X