Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

So apparently republicans voted down a bill that would ban gun sales to people on the no fly list. Honest to god one senator said that being a terrorist does not eliminate your second amendment rights.

The only complaint I did think held water was that the no fly list has very little due process involved, so it could be used to arbitrarily ban some people from owning guns who shouldn't have a problem with it. And I know someone who shares a name with someone on the no fly list so I can appreciate that it's based on a pretty flawed system.

The republican countr seems to have some kind of judicial review involved. Which could work. Like, if you are banned from buying a gun it would be reviewed by a court. But it needs to be a guilty until proven innocent deal, if you want the ban lifted you need to go to a court and prove why you don't need to be on the list.

Honestly this just illustrates how the whole No fly system is deeply flawed.
Cat Stevens was on the no fly list because Islam is in his name. So yeah, that system is pretty fucked.

Cat Stevens was on the no fly list because Islam is in his name. So yeah, that system is pretty fucked.
I've been told it's because he praised Ayatollah Khomeini’s death fatwa against Salman Rushdie in 1989, actually. Or at least the government thinks he did.

Wikipedia suggests you're both wrong. If it was because of his name, it was his first name that resembled a real suspect. Or the money he gave to mideast charities was, unknown to him, funelled to Hamas.

And he likely didn't praise the fatwa, just made a comment how on Islamic law. And later joked about the incident and made to look bad with unfair editing.

Wikipedia suggests you're both wrong. If it was because of his name, it was his first name that resembled a real suspect. Or the money he gave to mideast charities was, unknown to him, funelled to Hamas.

And he likely didn't praise the fatwa, just made a comment how on Islamic law. And later joked about the incident and made to look bad with unfair editing.
The fact that the reasons are unclear I think are more illuminating than the reasons themselves.

He did get removed from the list. The name thing was the likely reason. I just wanted to clarify a bit about the fatwa thing because it seems silly to me that Cat Stevens would ever promote murder

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

1. It is NEVER a good thing when your place of employment is featured on the front page of a major metropolitan newspaper over "allegations."
2. It is NEVER a good thing when your place of employment is being investigated by the FBI.
3. It is REALLY NEVER a good thing when both 1 and 2 happen at the same time.

Well, hold on. If your employer's ISIS, I'd say those would both be good things, aiding your employer in achieving their goals.

Of course, as far as I know, no-one here works for ISIS.

Last edited:
Never underestimate a rural North Carolinian's refusal to allow any kind of new blood to buy up their land. If it doesn't stay with another good ole boy, it's not going anywhere.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I saw that on Imgur yesterday - the headline is misleading. It was mostly for monetary/land value concerns, but that article focuses on the cranks.

Yeah, I saw that on Imgur yesterday - the headline is misleading. It was mostly for monetary/land value concerns, but that article focuses on the cranks.
I assumed there were non- stupid reasons for the rejection, but making fun of the cranks is just too much fun.

I love that the crazy retired science teacher brings up the dead plants from the solar panels blocking their access to sunlight.

I assumed there were non- stupid reasons for the rejection, but making fun of the cranks is just too much fun.
Well why let the truth get in the way of the story?

I love that the crazy retired science teacher brings up the dead plants from the solar panels blocking their access to sunlight.

Well why let the truth get in the way of the story?

There were farmers in my local town claiming that DST was killing their crops.

Dave

Staff member
So today the LA schools get a "credible threat" of a bomb or possible massacre at their schools. So they do the prudent thing and cancel classes. Or was it prudent?

Turns out that NYC schools got the same messages, as did "a number of others" (although they went unnamed). The messages were non-specific, were very generic, and originated from Germany. Everyone else laughed it off and ignored it. LA overreacted.

The person I share a workspace with said, "Well, LA is dealing with the last terrorist attack, you know." to which I said, "You mean NEW YORK CITY hasn't gone through stuff??"

So today the LA schools get a "credible threat" of a bomb or possible massacre at their schools. So they do the prudent thing and cancel classes. Or was it prudent?

Turns out that NYC schools got the same messages, as did "a number of others" (although they went unnamed). The messages were non-specific, were very generic, and originated from Germany. Everyone else laughed it off and ignored it. LA overreacted.

The person I share a workspace with said, "Well, LA is dealing with the last terrorist attack, you know." to which I said, "You mean NEW YORK CITY hasn't gone through stuff??"
I would imagine the New York attitude at this point is probably more along the lines of "You know what? Bring it."

Dave

Staff member
Wow. A mistrial in the Freddie Gray officer case. Looks like a couple of the jurors were unwavering.

Wow. A mistrial in the Freddie Gray officer case. Looks like a couple of the jurors were unwavering.
Which is basically a worst case scenario for the prosecutors, who severed the case so they'd be able to get around the 5th amendment self incrimination issue for other charges they were planning for the other officers. But now they've done nothing but waste time.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Viacom, a branch of the CBS Corporation, having donated between $25k-50k to Hillary's campaign funds.

Necronic

Staff member
Man those are some of the worst charts I have ever seen in a major publication. They are straight up painful to look at.