Games on SALE!

I don't want to dissuade you, but man, GTA 4 was such a fucking downer. Especially compared to the hard swerve into "happy-go-splodey" that Saints Row was taking at the time.

Bully was pretty interesting though, I wish they'd remake it and flesh it out some - it was good but it had potential to be uh-MAZ-ing that went unrealized

L.A. Noire was really interesting and engaging but
The ending is total bullshit and ruined everything for me.
My brofist was specifically for the LA Noire spoiler though agree with the other points as well.

Humble Bundle Monthly revealed one more game to this month's bundle, in addition to Civilization 6: Owlboy. The rest will be revealed tomorrow, after the deadline, and reveal next month's feature games.

Welp, I've had Owlboy on my wishlist for awhile, so between it and Civ 6, this month's bundle has been pretty great.

The full February Monthly Bundle released, as I said earlier. Only double this time around was Life is Strange, so that's good. Also got Tacoma, which I definitely wanted to play. Then others that look interesting like Black The Fall and Snake Pass. Civ 6 and Owlboy alone make it my favourite month bundle so far.

This month's first feature game is Dark Souls 3 and one of its DLC (Ashes of Ariandel). I've wanted to give the Dark Souls games another chance, but I'd really like to play the first two before jumping into this. There's a remaster of the first one coming out sometime, so maybe I'll wait for that.

Last edited:
This month's first feature game is Dark Souls 3 and one of its DLC (Ashes of Ariandel). I've wanted to give the Dark Souls games another chance, but I'd really like to play the first two before jumping into this. There's a remaster of the first one coming out sometime, so maybe I'll wait for that.
I will say this about Dark Souls... it's a much more... ponderous game than Dark Souls 3? Like, they devs fully expect you to tackle things in a certain order and in a certain way until about 2/3rds into the game, with some play styles (Sorcery, Pyromancery) being really easy. Dark Souls 2; Scholar of the First Sin is much better about it's balancing and feels much more accessible than Dark Souls 1.

I will say this about Dark Souls... it's a much more... ponderous game than Dark Souls 3? Like, they devs fully expect you to tackle things in a certain order and in a certain way until about 2/3rds into the game, with some play styles (Sorcery, Pyromancery) being really easy. Dark Souls 2; Scholar of the First Sin is much better about it's balancing and feels much more accessible than Dark Souls 1.
I've heard 2 is the best of the series. 1 had some growing pains and 3 had issues that fans of the series didn't like or something.

figmentPez

Staff member
Humble Mobile Bundle 22 If I had room on my phone for games, I'd be all over this for Galaxy of Pen & Paper alone. I dunno about the other tiers of the bundle. Death Road to Canada looks fun, but I'm not sure how it controls on mobile. Oxenfree has buzz, but I know very little about it.

I'm passing out at the computer, but in an effort to be concise, but not vague.

Dark Souls 2 is the easiest of the series, and in that sense it can be seen as good training wheels for the trilogy ... sort of. It also doesn't prep a new player properly, so if you play the main game, fine, but then you hit the DLC and suddenly the difficult spikes from a 4 to a 9, whereas if you play Dark Souls, yeah, it starts at maybe a 7, which is harder to crack into, but it doesn't feel so bad when it lifts to an 8 or 9.

The story of the three games is so suggestive rather than overt that you can play them in whatever order, though 3 will have more "whoa" moments if you've played the first one. A lot of the story fun is reading between the lines. Dark Souls 2 wasn't too interested in that way of doing things and doesn't have much story the first half, then lots of story the second half, and it's all told pretty plainly rather than as clues to a bigger idea. But that's personal taste and lots of people don't even care about the story.

My real problem with Dark Souls 2 is that it has the laziest area design of any of the Soulsborne games. Many areas are just a blob of space with enemies dotted all over. Areas with slightly tighter design just fill in enemies where there's some empty space. Compare this to any of the other games, even Demon's Souls, and what you mostly get are sets of encounters. Not that the other games don't have points of design weakness (the Chaos areas of Dark Souls, for example), but 2 seems to make design weakness the point, and unfortunately it hurts the flow of the game when compared to the others.

That said, if you play Dark Souls 2 before the others, that's probably the way to see it in its best possible light when there aren't other games in the series against which to compare Dark Souls 2's "feeding corn to the chickens" approach to scattering items and enemies. And though the areas aren't well-designed, they are varied and many of them are pretty. It has my favorite hub zone of any of the games, which bums me out that I don't enjoy the game around Majula as much as Majula itself.[DOUBLEPOST=1518066508,1518066474][/DOUBLEPOST]That wasn't concise at all. :(

And those posts were almost a week ago. I need to go to bed! Weeeeeeeeeee

I'm passing out at the computer, but in an effort to be concise, but not vague.

Dark Souls 2 is the easiest of the series, and in that sense it can be seen as good training wheels for the trilogy ... sort of. It also doesn't prep a new player properly, so if you play the main game, fine, but then you hit the DLC and suddenly the difficult spikes from a 4 to a 9, whereas if you play Dark Souls, yeah, it starts at maybe a 7, which is harder to crack into, but it doesn't feel so bad when it lifts to an 8 or 9.

The story of the three games is so suggestive rather than overt that you can play them in whatever order, though 3 will have more "whoa" moments if you've played the first one. A lot of the story fun is reading between the lines. Dark Souls 2 wasn't too interested in that way of doing things and doesn't have much story the first half, then lots of story the second half, and it's all told pretty plainly rather than as clues to a bigger idea. But that's personal taste and lots of people don't even care about the story.

My real problem with Dark Souls 2 is that it has the laziest area design of any of the Soulsborne games. Many areas are just a blob of space with enemies dotted all over. Areas with slightly tighter design just fill in enemies where there's some empty space. Compare this to any of the other games, even Demon's Souls, and what you mostly get are sets of encounters. Not that the other games don't have points of design weakness (the Chaos areas of Dark Souls, for example), but 2 seems to make design weakness the point, and unfortunately it hurts the flow of the game when compared to the others.

That said, if you play Dark Souls 2 before the others, that's probably the way to see it in its best possible light when there aren't other games in the series against which to compare Dark Souls 2's "feeding corn to the chickens" approach to scattering items and enemies. And though the areas aren't well-designed, they are varied and many of them are pretty. It has my favorite hub zone of any of the games, which bums me out that I don't enjoy the game around Majula as much as Majula itself.[DOUBLEPOST=1518066508,1518066474][/DOUBLEPOST]That wasn't concise at all. :(

And those posts were almost a week ago. I need to go to bed! Weeeeeeeeeee
It's also worth mentioning that Scholar of the First Sin does, in fact, smarten up the enemy and item placement of the game. This was done because even From Software agreed there was a problem after they gathered metrics on the game.

It's also worth mentioning that Scholar of the First Sin does, in fact, smarten up the enemy and item placement of the game. This was done because even From Software agreed there was a problem after they gathered metrics on the game.
I wish they'd tidied up The Black Gulch so it wasn't an awful copy-paste Bullet Bill level in Super Mario Maker.

For those interested, the Civ VI expansion has been released last week, and Green Man Gaming already has a 25% off sale. Still pretty pricey, but if you don't want to wait, it'll probably be a while before it drops further.

YOSH-free game, now to go to my library and download it-

"It seems you are using your Humble Bundle from an unfamiliar browser"

-UGH-no I am NOT you stupid website, this is the same browser I've bought ALL my HB games at! Its not THAT much of an inconvenience, but its like the 3rd time.

YOSH-free game, now to go to my library and download it-

"It seems you are using your Humble Bundle from an unfamiliar browser"

-UGH-no I am NOT you stupid website, this is the same browser I've bought ALL my HB games at! Its not THAT much of an inconvenience, but its like the 3rd time.
That's what'll happen if you clear your cookies.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Hey I can actually play this now! The last time you guys did this I had a computer that was dying from overheating and I couldn't run shit.