Games on SALE!

You guys are all Americans living in open wooden houses, huh? :p Pulling ethernet cables up through two floors of concrete in a 1920s house is hard, expensive, and ugly :(

And if I coudl run a cable to my tv, I would, but that's the problem :)

When I had my house built, I nixed the hardwood floors in favor if laminate tile (at a savings of $4900). I then chose to have every room wired for ethernet ($3499). Well worth it, in my opinion
My husband still laments not spending the extra $$$ to have the people who built our house wire it for ethernet.

It's twisted pair, you should have few issues, especially since metal air ducts act as faraday cages.

Or waveguides. Depending.

But worst case you can replace a noisy section of cable with shielded ethernet cable.

figmentPez

Staff member
I missed this earlier, but GOG Connect has games up to duplicate from your Steam library.

Notable on the list:
- Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
- Homeworld
- Inside
- Limbo
- Outlast
- Sunless Sea
and 13 other games of lesser renown.
More games were added to this, but I haven't seen an announcment of it in GOG's news. I think just a few Telltale adventure games (The Wolf Among Us, Batman, and The Walking Dead) but maybe something else.

GasBandit

Staff member
I bought the link and controller combo. Now steam says delivery might be delayed due to high volume. ;_; I was hoping to have it before I went under the knife next week, so I could set it up and have it ready for me when I got home, so I can convalesce in the comfort of my couch instead of busting stitches trying to balance on my broken-ass computer chair.

Made my holiday purchase: Syberia Trilogy Christmas Bundle.

Gets you Syberia 1-3, Syberia 3's bonus Oscar adventure, and Syberia 3 Deluxe stuff which includes the soundtrack, a wallpaper, and the first 20 pages of the comics they put out. I guess the third game didn't do well? Whatever. If I'd had to pay full price for the first two games, this is still the equivalent of getting the third game free and I KNOW the first two games are amazing.

Made my holiday purchase: Syberia Trilogy Christmas Bundle.

Gets you Syberia 1-3, Syberia 3's bonus Oscar adventure, and Syberia 3 Deluxe stuff which includes the soundtrack, a wallpaper, and the first 20 pages of the comics they put out. I guess the third game didn't do well? Whatever. If I'd had to pay full price for the first two games, this is still the equivalent of getting the third game free and I KNOW the first two games are amazing.
Yes, Kate Walker, this looks like a good deal, Kate Walker. It will be a chance for Kate Walker to finish putting Kate Walker through all of Kate Walker’s adventures without taking too much of Kate Walker’s money.

—Patrick

I was just hemming and hawing over spending nearly $400 for an IPS 4K monitor, but you’ve pushed me over the edge with this deal. Scepter, so not perfect, but generally in monitors the displays are all the same it’s just an issue of the controller and ports.

A 4K IPS 60hz monitor for $200 is a steal despite the poor stand and VESA mounting issue, which most people won’t even care about anyway.

In for two.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nrrgghhhhh, this has me having second thoughts about the monitor I literally just purchased....

EDIT: Then again, the monitor I got is infinitely better for gaming, so I'll probably stick with it :p
Yeah, you wanted 144hz, this one's only 60.

I do want to point out - though it's probably a non issue for most- that it only supports 4k over hdmi, not over displayport, as, according to some reviews, it's 1.0. Something to bear in mind, though I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker.

Nah, the reason mine is so pricey is because I got a monitor with G-Sync. Freesync, as you're likely aware, is an AMD video card thing. I'm an NVIDIA guy and am willing to pay a little extra for the premium.
It wasn't so much the *sync as it was that the monitor actually strobes at up to 240Hz to reduce blur. I didn't look to see if they had an NVIDIA version, but even if they don't, it wouldn't surprise me if they do later.

--Patrick

It wasn't so much the *sync as it was that the monitor actually strobes at up to 240Hz to reduce blur. I didn't look to see if they had an NVIDIA version, but even if they don't, it wouldn't surprise me if they do later.

--Patrick
I just hate the fact that the price difference between freesync and g-sync is so astronomical---although to be fair, g-sync is the better tech.

I do want to point out - though it's probably a non issue for most- that it only supports 4k over hdmi, not over displayport, as, according to some reviews, it's 1.0. Something to bear in mind, though I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker.
That would be strange since it supports 4K 60Hz, and most hdmi maxes out at 4K 30Hz. I guess I’ll find out soon enough...

After reading all the reviews I suspect the following:

The monitor has some issues with viewing angles, particularly if you’re close to it.

It comes with standoffs so the VESA mount works, but you’ll have to use the standoffs if your VESA mount doesn’t have a center hole.

The people complaining that the 60Hz didn’t work over DisplayPort appear to be Mac users using Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables, and while it should work, I expect it’s a cable or Mac issue rather than a monitor issue.

Regardless even if these issues are unfixable, they’ll still work for my use case, and the cost does make up for them. We have a nicer LG 4K display on the gaming PC, these ones will mostly be used for work, and if they turn out as I expect them to I really don’t expect they’ll be bad at all for most uses.

Probably not ideal for watching movies on, I suppose, given the reported color/contrast/brightness issues.

fade

Staff member
Man as a card carrying cheapskate, I cringe at the thought of how much you guys spend on video gaming.

Man as a card carrying cheapskate, I cringe at the thought of how much you guys spend on video gaming.
I have to squeeze as much gaming goodness as I can in the next 6 months before it goes away the minute I enter those dental school doors.

fade

Staff member
If you do go out and do drugs, see if you can hook me up, too, son. My guy's been hard to get ahold of lately.