Games on SALE!

I finally got the activation email for my Ars Technica account, and from there getting the game code was no problem.
You don't actually need an account with Arstechnica, you just had to click the button in the article...unless they changed the terms.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
You don't actually need an account with Arstechnica, you just had to click the button in the article...unless they changed the terms.
I didn't see any way to get it without logging in. There was a message saying that in order to prevent bots from grabbing the keys that they were making people log-in.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even free, is it worth the effort?
That's a good question. It looks like a Dungeon Keeper clone (and I mean that as a good thing), but even the heir apparent of the DK franchise, War For The Underworld, has left me cold because, while it's similar, it's not dungeon keeper. For obvious reasons, they have to call things a little differently, do things a little differently, and I just can't be bothered to relearn all the new changes and terms and rooms and rules when what I really want is just Dungeon Keeper, but in HD. I don't want "gnarlings," I want goblins. I don't want Cultists and Succubi and Chunders, I want Warlocks and Mistresses and Trolls. Etc.

But hey, it's free, right? You can grab a copy and try it when you get around to it.

That's a good question. It looks like a Dungeon Keeper clone (and I mean that as a good thing), but even the heir apparent of the DK franchise, War For The Underworld, has left me cold because, while it's similar, it's not dungeon keeper. For obvious reasons, they have to call things a little differently, do things a little differently, and I just can't be bothered to relearn all the new changes and terms and rooms and rules when what I really want is just Dungeon Keeper, but in HD. I don't want "gnarlings," I want goblins. I don't want Cultists and Succubi and Chunders, I want Warlocks and Mistresses and Trolls. Etc.

But hey, it's free, right? You can grab a copy and try it when you get around to it.
It's sort of like getting a free sample of an off-brand product. Even if it's good (and it's pretty good), it's still not what you wanted.

figmentPez

Staff member
Bundle Stars is having a May Madness Sale

Bioshock Infinite for $7.19
Mad Max for $4.99
Baldur's Gate EE: Complete Saga $16.19

Lots more besides, including X-Com 1 or 2 in various versions and DLC, King's Bounty series, Borderlands, and lots of older and indie titles.

Use code MAY5 to get an extra 5%-off.

Shit, Mad Max is probably worth $4.99. I've heard that was okay. Think I'll snag that.

Funny, though, how the biggest sales on there are almost always WB published games. The Arkham series, Mad Max, the Lego games.

EDIT: Well poop, Max Max is $7.49 for me with the Canadian exchange rate. =/

Mad Max is pretty fun but has the same issues that an Ubitrash game has. It gets repetitive really quick. Only thing that kept me going through the whole game was that I really like the Mad Max universe.

The ending sequence is the most Mad Max thing possible though. It's rad as hell.

If you aren't already experiencing open world fatigue, because 300% of all games released these days are open world, then Mad Max is ok. I've got nothing bad to say about it that aren't staples of the genre. It'll give you plenty to do.

Max Mad was pretty good for the first 1/3 of the game. Then the grind killed it except for key moments.
Final 10% is king, love the ending and honestly it's a good game that just needed to be either "smaller" or have about a dozen more side mission types.

Sandstorms were fucking awesome though, the roll-in effect made you panic especially when you haven't saved for a while on the hardest difficulty. Best place for loot but YOU DIE SON.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't recognize any of those except goat simulator.
Ziggurat is a "rogue-lite" FPS, TotalBiscuit WTF is Ziggurat?

SteamWorld Heist is a turn based strategy game, with steampunk robots shooting guns. My impression is that it's a little like Worms, but if the shots were like billiards (banking off walls) instead of horseshoes (lobbed in an arc).

Kentucky Route Zero is an adventure game, and I've heard a lot of buzz about it, but I know little besides that.

Owlboy is one of the most anticipated size scrolling 2D Metroidvanias in a long time, and everything I've heard about it says it lives up to the hype. It's graphics are gorgeous, it's gameplay is smooth, and it's got a tremedous level of polish.