Former President Trump Thread

Shocked[DOUBLEPOST=1494367488,1494366998][/DOUBLEPOST][DOUBLEPOST=1494367756][/DOUBLEPOST]Alternate release

Man, he really used to be respectable.
This is why I hate the idea of career politicians. Remember Ted Cruz? The guy had his wife and father insulted by Trump constantly, to the point Ted wouldn't endorse Trump at the RNC, but he saw that opposing Trump would pretty much destroy his chances for re-election among the Republican base, and so off he went making campaign calls and licking his boots within the month.

Dave

Staff member
Since when do the republicans no longer control the house or senate?
I know. I vacillate between knowing nothing is going to be done and hoping that they will pull their heads out of their asses and do something for the country rather than their own shitty party.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know. I vacillate between knowing nothing is going to be done and hoping that they will pull their heads out of their asses and do something for the country rather than their own shitty party.
They think their party IS the country, or at least the only part worth salvaging.

That goes for both parties.

Necronic

Staff member
Very likely nothing will come of this. I don't know a single person on the right that thinks there's anything weird about this.

98% of Trump voters still stand by their vote. Trump could go on a Twitter rant about how the US needs to bring back "racial purity" laws and most of his supporters would dig in and fight even harder. Hell, they'd probably say it was just "fake news" conspiring against them. Their communities are largely homogenous so their friends and neighbors mostly have the same opinion. There is a liberal echo chamber, yes. But the right-wing echo chamber is even more pronounced.

98% of Trump voters still stand by their vote. Trump could go on a Twitter rant about how the US needs to bring back "racial purity" laws and most of his supporters would dig in and fight even harder. Hell, they'd probably say it was just "fake news" conspiring against them. Their communities are largely homogenous so their friends and neighbors mostly have the same opinion. There is a liberal echo chamber, yes. But the right-wing echo chamber is even more pronounced.
Hell with a twitter rant, teh Donald could personally hack them to pieces and they'd be standing by him even as they bled out. That's what decades of RW talk radio and Fox Noise have done. The concept of the "loyal opposition" is dead in this country. Generations have grown up told that the other side were literally traitors. Santorum even used that word on the eve of the election to describe Hillary and Obama.

I fear that nothing short of extreme violence from the far, far right will change anyone's mind. To the True Believers, the system is working. :(

People wonder how someone can vote for Erdogan - it's been a hot topic around here that Belgian Turks voted overwhelmingly in favor of granting him more power - but the type of loyalty and fervor shown by Trump supporters is exactly the same. A "strong leader" who "isn't afraid" is something a lot of people want, and checks and balances and all that malarkey be damned.

I suppose I got irrationally optimistic.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/mcconnell-rejects-call-for-special-prosecutor-238206

The hypocritical, absentminded turtle strikes again.
From near the bottom of your article:
Republicans said Democrats were contradicting their own previous criticisms of Comey by lighting into Trump and inhibiting the Senate's work.

“We can argue about when it should or shouldn’t have happened, but clearly there was bipartisan support for it. We have Democrats in the past who have called for this,” Thune said.
What's that all about? I've seen dropped references to things like this in news stories here and there today, but no good explanations with quotes.

Were people on both sides calling for Comey to be fired before this? That's what this suggests.

When Comey mentioned Clinton emails right before the election, yes, there were calls on the Democrat side for him to be fired. BUT at the same time, Trump and his cronies were saying he did his job and they had full confidence in him, blah blah blah.

It is possible for both of the following to be true:

1. Comey should be fired for his blatant one-sided interference during an election that absolutely influenced the outcome.
2. Comey should not be fired by the president he is currently investigating, which is not only a giant conflict of interest, but also a dangerous breach in balance of power and an impeachable offense.