[Movies] Dammit, Frozen (spoilers)

Having Frozen in the house reminded me that I wanted to go back and update the Disney mermaids drawing on my Deviant Art page. It was one of those pieces I wanted to redo some of the old faces, and then figured since I was at it, I might as well stick in 7 more ladies that have been added to the Disney pantheon since I originally posted it.

It's also a sad reminder that I'm lucky if I get 2 hours a night to draw anymore. Simple stuff can get done over a matter of days, but ambitious stuff is going to have to be on hold for a while longer. :(

There's a difference between expressing it in words and saying exactly what it is. It's lazy to have the characters say "I feel this way" instead of having them act in a way that represents it. It's lazy to say "Hey audience, these characters are in love" instead of having them act in ways that make it clear they're in love.

Even musically, "there's so much fear" is a lazy lyric. Imagine if the Beauty and the Beast songs "Something There" and "Beauty and the Beast" went something like "They might love each other" and "Now they love each other" respectively.

That might not make much difference for you, but for me, the Critical Hit video nailed it when they said (paraphrasing) that if you just tell me something, I'm not feeling it. I went into Frozen expecting to have a good time and wanting to like. I don't sit there analyzing the movie while watching it or marking up a checklist. I just watch the movie. If I feel some disconnect, or don't feel anything though, it's going to sour the experience, and afterward I wonder why, and start analyzing to figure it out. Was it me? Was it the movie? A little of both?

Like I said in the OP, if I felt Frozen was a bad movie, I'd just write it off and forget about it. But I'd be enjoying one scene and disconnected the next, and it was this jarring mix of good and bad that bugged me.

Dude, have you ever been to a musical?

I don't know why Kristof exists except to give Anna a man at the end, which is against the message in the movie.
Or the message is that even with access to true love from a guy, true love from a sister is just as good, maybe?

Otherwise, yeah, pacing issues with the plot.

Or the message is that even with access to true love from a guy, true love from a sister is just as good, maybe?

Otherwise, yeah, pacing issues with the plot.
It's not true love between her and Kristof. That was the point of his existence. They just met. There's an attraction, but they just met. That's why it was the bond between sisters that was true love, and broke the curse.

Yes, Anna and Kristof are together at the end, but they aren't engaged or anything. They're dating, a normal relationship, instead of the the day romances into marriage that Disney had been known for.

Finally got around to watching it today. Loved it to pieces.[DOUBLEPOST=1397328032,1397327970][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the fact that QP has never seen a real musical, much less like them pretty much explains exactly why he doesn't like it.

I made the ringtone when my wife calls "I mean it's crazy, what, we finish each others, sandehiches" part of the song and my normal ring tones do you wanna build a snowman

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching it today. Loved it to pieces.[DOUBLEPOST=1397328032,1397327970][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the fact that QP has never seen a real musical, much less like them pretty much explains exactly why he doesn't like it.
Perhaps? I don't know; I'm not going to put any more time towards Frozen except for reposting funny shit from the fans.

Like this coloring/activity book page:

I finally watched Frozen for the first time on the flight from Taiwan to London.

Then I watched it a second time. Then a third.

Then I watched it a fourth time on the way back.

Guys, I think I might like this movie.

Anyway, some thoughts:

1. I agree with a lot of the criticisms posted in this thread, actually. I think Frozen had some plot problems that could've been fixed with just a few additional lines and scenes. It would've added maybe five or ten minutes to the movie in total, which I don't think is a huge amount, and would've made everything fit together much better.

2. Jonathan Groff's horribly wasted in this movie. He gets one song, during which half his lines are done in a goofy voice. This guy was awesome on Glee and in Spring Awakening, it's a pity they didn't use him more.

3. Idina Menzel needs to do more emotion-filled duets. Seriously, her duets from Rent, Wicked, Glee, and Frozen all gave me tinglies in my nether bits.

I finally watched Frozen for the first time on the flight from Taiwan to London.

Then I watched it a second time. Then a third.

Then I watched it a fourth time on the way back.

Guys, I think I might like this movie.

Anyway, some thoughts:

1. I agree with a lot of the criticisms posted in this thread, actually. I think Frozen had some plot problems that could've been fixed with just a few additional lines and scenes. It would've added maybe five or ten minutes to the movie in total, which I don't think is a huge amount, and would've made everything fit together much better.

2. Jonathan Groff's horribly wasted in this movie. He gets one song, during which half his lines are done in a goofy voice. This guy was awesome on Glee and in Spring Awakening, it's a pity they didn't use him more.

3. Idina Menzel needs to do more emotion-filled duets. Seriously, her duets from Rent, Wicked, Glee, and Frozen all gave me tinglies in my nether bits.
I think a lot of the plot problems were probably caused by something I discovered only recently, but apparently other people have known for months: originally, Elsa was going to be the villain after all. Producers ordered a story change upon hearing "Let It Go" and decided the song was too positive for a villain. I won't get into everything wrong-headed about changing a story for a song's sake or whether antagonists should be allowed to have layers and dimensions in children's movies, but the fact of this change tells me that they had to do a lot of editing and messing around, creating narratives bumps and stutters that wouldn't have existed if they'd spent that time tidying their original idea instead of having to flex it into a new one.

It's not true love between her and Kristof. That was the point of his existence. They just met. There's an attraction, but they just met. That's why it was the bond between sisters that was true love, and broke the curse.

Yes, Anna and Kristof are together at the end, but they aren't engaged or anything. They're dating, a normal relationship, instead of the the day romances into marriage that Disney had been known for.
Someone doesn't believe in love at first hike to find missing ice powered sister here....

But anyway, that works too, he's there to emphasise the point about sisterly love (as in Anna had the possibility of the "classic Disney romance" etc.).